PDA

View Full Version : Operation Ivy

Smash punker
07-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Finally got their music!!!! :D N gotta say. Rancid go fuck yourself!!!! :D:D:D

jacknife737
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
A bit late to the party, are we?

Energy is indeed a solid album, but i much prefer the direction that Ranicd went; Life Won't Wait and Out Come the Wolves... eclipsed anything that OPIV released.

RageAndLov
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Finally someone on the same bandwidth!
Operation Ivy is one of my favourite bands, and the band is soooo much better than Rancid. So much more intensity, far better lyrics and Jesse's voice is amazing!

Also, Jesse Michaels has a new band now which dropped an EP this June. They are called Classics Of Love (http://www.myspace.com/classicsofloveband) and they totally rock!

coke_a_holic
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
far better lyrics

Okay, this is where I'm gonna have to draw the line. Comparing Operation Ivy's lyrics with Rancid's is just ridiculous; both have some of the absolute worst lyrics I've ever heard, but Rancid's are just slightly less bad. OpIvy's words were just completely, completely bad and there's no two ways about it. At least Rancid's got coherence.

Apathy
07-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes, but at least Operation Ivy remained consistent, albeit this is probably due to lack of material. I mean they've never put out something that was just downright awful, which Rancid has done on numerous occasoni. (Yes. Occasioni)

Common Rider blows them both away anyway.

RageAndLov
07-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Okay, this is where I'm gonna have to draw the line. Comparing Operation Ivy's lyrics with Rancid's is just ridiculous; both have some of the absolute worst lyrics I've ever heard, but Rancid's are just slightly less bad. OpIvy's words were just completely, completely bad and there's no two ways about it. At least Rancid's got coherence.

Op Ivy's lyrics actually are about something, and have a greater meaning than Rancid's. Op Ivy's lyrics are clever and don't seem to be written in ten minutes unlike Rancid's.

coke_a_holic
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Alright, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about it; Operation Ivy was, like, my all-time favorite band about 5 years ago, so arguing against them kind of hurts my 14-year-old-self's soul. You're free to love them as much as you like for as many reasons as you can come up with, really.

I'm not saying Rancid's lyrics are much better, because they aren't such great songwriters themselves... But at least they don't bother with wars between their brothers and them that they don't want, caution (it's actually a word that they can't understand), or she she she she being a bombshell.

Smash punker
07-23-2009, 04:31 AM
A bit late to the party, are we?

Energy is indeed a solid album, but i much prefer the direction that Ranicd went; Life Won't Wait and Out Come the Wolves... eclipsed anything that OPIV released.

I know....O.I. is kinda old thing n I got to it just like couple days ago :D Thatīs why I love it that much

Smash punker
07-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Finally someone on the same bandwidth!
Operation Ivy is one of my favourite bands, and the band is soooo much better than Rancid. So much more intensity, far better lyrics and Jesse's voice is amazing!

Also, Jesse Michaels has a new band now which dropped an EP this June. They are called Classics Of Love (http://www.myspace.com/classicsofloveband) and they totally rock!

U know I love classic Rancid, but Operation Ivy is like something new to me now, kinda discovered gold! :D

Apathy
07-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Op Ivy's lyrics actually are about something, and have a greater meaning than Rancid's. Op Ivy's lyrics are clever and don't seem to be written in ten minutes unlike Rancid's.

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOWWWWW
ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN
ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOWOHOHOOH

Ok then.

Jakebert
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
No (no more!)
no (no more!)
no more badtown.

RageAndLov
07-24-2009, 06:13 AM
I feel like the lyrics of Rancid are about nothing or just plain stupid. Example: Here is a verse from Rancid's song "This place":

"The land of liberty has been betrayed by
The monster corporations
The monster won't stop 'till
It lays waste to everything"

I think it is funny when Rancid themselves are distrubuted by corporations like Warner Music Group, and the corporation Viacom is showing Rancid's videoes on TV.

Operation Ivy's lyrics at least have some substance of truth. Maybe I'm stupid, but I find songs of political and social matters more interesting than songs about how punk you are, how long you been around and love songs about girls.

ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOWWWWW
ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN
ALL I KNOW IS THAT I DON'T KNOWOHOHOOH

Ok then.

That is the chorus. The verses are a bit more clever in that song.

Apathy
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I know what a chorus is.

Listen, I love Operation Ivy. I absolutely love that song. But I can admit to myself that no matter how much they pretend to Jesse Michaels doesn't know shit about politics, or world matters, and he was basically just writing about them because he was young, rebellious, impressionable, and has a very good singing voice.

And making fun of Rancid because they're hypocritical is irrelevant, because they share band members with Op. Ivy and Op Ivy would have done the exact same thing had they have actually gotten popular enough or stayed together long enough.

That being said, I love Op. Ivy, and I only kind of like Rancid sometimes. But still, you can't say that either of the bands are lyrically good.

GreenTerror
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Operation Ivy > Rancid

Though both are on the same level of shitty punk bands you like when you're 13 and think you're punk as fuck. In my case, at least.

I'll admit, though, I still listen to Operation Ivy on occasion.

coke_a_holic
07-24-2009, 10:52 PM
She
She
She
She's a bombshell

dff_punk
07-25-2009, 04:01 PM
"The Crowd" is totally an Offspring song. In a good way.

RageAndLov
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I know what a chorus is.

Listen, I love Operation Ivy. I absolutely love that song. But I can admit to myself that no matter how much they pretend to Jesse Michaels doesn't know shit about politics, or world matters, and he was basically just writing about them because he was young, rebellious, impressionable, and has a very good singing voice.

Well yeah, no one is a political genious by the age of 19. But JM is pretty political aware today.

And making fun of Rancid because they're hypocritical is irrelevant, because they share band members with Op. Ivy and Op Ivy would have done the exact same thing had they have actually gotten popular enough or stayed together long enough.

I highly doubt that.

That being said, I love Op. Ivy, and I only kind of like Rancid sometimes. But still, you can't say that either of the bands are lyrically good.

JM wrote whole Hectic, both the lyrics and the music, but I don't know who did what on Energy. But I got a feeling that JM did most of the lyrics on Energy, because they are IMO better than Rancid's lyrics.

Smash punker
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
"The Crowd" is totally an Offspring song. In a good way.

Thats my fav. one bro :D

SMASHedTHEignition
08-02-2009, 12:25 AM
i havent herd much of OO but i hav an un oficial greenday DVD called Pogo Paradise and it interviews OO's singer..