PDA

View Full Version : Somebody call the waaambulance

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm in the ER right now with a tummyache. Keep me company? All I hear here is old people moaning, beeps, and a nanny singing church hymns to a crying 1 month old baby.

Rag Doll
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
ohnoez! are you ok?

i've had a tummyache for 2 days. buh.

KHWHD
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Hope it's nothing serious, take care of yourself.

nieh
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
ER over a tummyache? Wuss!

Seriously, I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything worse than that.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
you are what you got
i will guess an ulcer because it doesnt seem too bad for your age

say hello to death for me while you're there

edit:
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

IamSam
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Church hymns to a 1 year old? No wonder why it's crying.

Homer
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I went to the hospital not too long ago for a sever pain in my back. I waited from 11 pm to 6 am for them to tell me to go home and come back if it gets worse.

The cause? Probably this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NlQedMhif8)

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
lolol I m so hard I m givin the mod shit when she's sick dude someone give me a hi five!

It probs is an ulcer, just had a shitload of blood drawn and an x ray. Typing on the bberry w/ one hand. Other arm has a line thingy in it. This place is so scary. Booo.

Outerspaceman21
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I hate that feeling. Hospitals at night are really creepy, especially if there are not a lot of people there.

Sheck0
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Damn, I've had a bad stomach ache on and off for the past couple of days too, weird coincidence. Hope you get better!

randman21
07-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Is the source of the pain below the belly button? Those tummy-aches are the worst.

I went to the hospital not too long ago for a sever pain in my back. I waited from 11 pm to 6 am for them to tell me to go home and come back if it gets worse.

...Chrono Trigger at the end?

Omni
07-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I had a stomach ache for seven months, once. Every time the pain hit, I'd throw up. I threw up 13 times one day, and I lost 42 pounds by the end of it. Several tests later, they see a blockage in my intestine, turns out I had Crohn's Disease, and spent 15 days in the hospital recovering from surgery and a following infection.

Sleep tight.

Homer
07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
...Chrono Trigger at the end?

Nope. Main theme to Final Fantasy X.

Sheck0
07-24-2009, 01:11 PM

The one in blue was knocking on the door to screamo when he was singing. >_>

KyleW
07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Hope the x-ray comes back okay LM. Is an ulser in the stomach pretty serious? :confused:

Also, Homer, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ8VTKN4qpA&feature=channel) made me laugh a LOT. :D

Rutegard
07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Is the source of the pain below the belly button?

u r so funny randy

get well better sarah!
take some pics while u r there!

edit: oh fuck not a ulcer :|

ad8
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM

"He is the worst person I know. I wish I could kill him"
Wow, you have sympathetic friends;)

07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
take some pics while u r there!
yes, take some pics, i'm sure a moody-hospital mood image will liven up things around here:p

Rutegard
07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
yes, take some pics, i'm sure a moody-hospital mood image will liven up things around here:p

my thoughts precisely :D

Rag Doll
07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I had a stomach ache for seven months, once. Every time the pain hit, I'd throw up. I threw up 13 times one day, and I lost 42 pounds by the end of it. Several tests later, they see a blockage in my intestine, turns out I had Crohn's Disease, and spent 15 days in the hospital recovering from surgery and a following infection.

my mom has had that since she was 19. it's reallllllly awful. hope yours is under control.

jacknife737
07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Stomache aches are the worst; hope you feel a lot better.

Hospitals though, at times, are an interesting place for "people watching", that's what i usually do to pass the time.

Tijs
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear that 1565, hope you'll be okay :( So you don't know what's causing it?

JoY
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
what are you doing in the ER on the computer?? on the internet.. on the OFFSPRING MESSAGE BOARD. take your bedrest, m'lady! doc's orders. (& I don't mean mine)

tummy ache, eh? near the stomach, or more towards the belly button? I hope you're okay. what do the bloodtests & x ray say? I read some stuff on here about a possible ulcer? that's pretty unusual for your age, but I hope you take it easy. hospitals are supposed to be incredibly crappy places (except I never experienced them that way), but still, try to relax, get sleep at night & accept all the pampering for as long as they think it's necessary. (I don't know about you, but the one thing I hate about hospitals, is being pampered, so I thought I should say that, just in case)

Harleyquiiinn
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
what are you doing in the ER on the computer?? on the internet.. on the OFFSPRING MESSAGE BOARD. take your bedrest, m'lady! doc's orders. (& I don't mean mine)

tummy ache, eh? near the stomach, or more towards the belly button? I hope you're okay. what do the bloodtests & x ray say? I read some stuff on here about a possible ulcer? that's pretty unusual for your age, but I hope you take it easy. hospitals are supposed to be incredibly crappy places (except I never experienced them that way), but still, try to relax, get sleep at night & accept all the pampering for as long as they think it's necessary. (I don't know about you, but the one thing I hate about hospitals, is being pampered, so I thought I should say that, just in case)

Is it that rare ? :confused: I have 2 friends about my age (and LM's age) having ulcers :( ... but they are fine most of the time though...

I heard it could be caused by stress... but then, I'm no doctor

Anyway, LM a song for you because you know... songs make people feel better (and also, it's a good song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7C9lnTyWo

JoY
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
well, yeah, it kind of is. people get it at a younger age these days, but it's still not very common before your 50's. maybe over there it is, but over here that's kind of a rarity still. I don't know with what kind of crowd you hang, but it's mostly something that occurs 1) with a helicobacter pylori infection, 2) after excessive use of painkillers of the NSAID type (aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen) 3) if you're a smoker on a fatty, overspiced diet with a bad coffee addiction.

by the way, most doc's don't believe in the stress-factor of ulcers, but I definitely do. aside from stress changing a shitload in your body, especially digestion, it stimulates bad habits. if you're a smoker, you generally smoke more under stress. if you're a coffee junky, you generally drink more coffee under stress. if you're an emotional eater... you get the idea. & stress suppresses the immune system, which is beneficial for the helicobacter pylori.

Harleyquiiinn
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
well, yeah, it kind of is. people get it at a younger age these days, but it's still not very common before your 50's. maybe over there it is, but over here that's kind of a rarity still. I don't with what kind of crowd you hang, but it's mostly something that occurs 1) with a helicobacter pylori infection, 2) after excessive use of painkillers of the NSAID type (aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen) 3) if you're a smoker on a fatty, overspiced diet with a bad coffee addiction.

Ah the 3rd one sounds about right. So, nothing to do with stress then...

JoY
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
personally I think it can have to do with stress. but I changed my post just now, so yeah.

Harleyquiiinn
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Ah yes I saw the edit now...

So stress causing ulcers is not wrong but it is shortcut : Stress causes things that can cause ulcers.

Ah I feel smarter, thanks for explaining :cool:

JoY
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
hey, you're very welcome. :]

now let's hope Sarah's okay. :/ ulcer's are nasty business.

KHWHD
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I have an ulcer and all my doctor keeps giving me is to try a billiion different kinds of medications to try to get it to work - but none has helped at all. Wish they'd do the damn surgery.

I've just come to find out I have carpel tunnel in my left arm/hand too. It's probably years of repetitive factory work finally catching up with me. Sometimes being left handed sucks donkey balls.

Hopefully it gets better soon and something gets done about it Sarah.

JoY
07-24-2009, 06:05 PM
god jeez, the only way I could run into ulcers daily, is when my time is spent at the hospital, at internal medicine, gastroentrology to be specific. I walk around the hospital every day & I didn't come across one ulcer yet. what is wrong with you people & your weird ulcer-developing ways? I don't mean it's uncommon, but dude, in an overal population it at least shouldn't be *common*.

07-24-2009, 06:49 PM
i was gonna say it could be an infection but joY got to it first
what joy said is very true, you're not supposed to get ulcers if you're under 50.
but if you have bad eating habits, smoke and drink, your chances of getting one will definitely increase. The reason for that is that today's youth(specially american youth) doesnt care about their health. the majority smoke, use drugs, drink a lot, and have bad eating habits like having late night snacks(2AM), drink carbonated drinks first thing in the morning. junk-greasy food also fucks up your gastronomical system with ulcers

but it could also be something minor like really bad indigestion

I have an ulcer and all my doctor keeps giving me is to try a billiion different kinds of medications to try to get it to work - but none has helped at all. Wish they'd do the damn surgery.

I've just come to find out I have carpel tunnel in my left arm/hand too. It's probably years of repetitive factory work finally catching up with me. Sometimes being left handed sucks donkey balls.

Hopefully it gets better soon and something gets done about it Sarah.

damm this turning into a law-medical situation because you shouldn't get carpal tunnel syndrome because your factory should teach you how to assemble things properly(just like they teach you how to type properly)
maybe harley will let you know more if you can actually take legal action because out of common sense i think carpal tunnel syndrome should qualify as a job injury

hshduppsnt
07-24-2009, 11:16 PM
oh man, I'm sorry :(... that's definitely no fun or no good, I hope you feel better quickly!

edit: I especially know late at night like this can suck in the ER... a few years back I had the same
sort of thing - more than a stomach ache that was probably an ulcer and ended up getting hospitalized
for pancreatitis... but I'm not trying to hijack the thread just relate...
sure does suck sitting around waiting for results eh? Especially if something creepy goes on in the ER in the mean time...

Harleyquiiinn
07-25-2009, 03:09 AM
damm this turning into a law-medical situation because you shouldn't get carpal tunnel syndrome because your factory should teach you how to assemble things properly(just like they teach you how to type properly)
maybe harley will let you know more if you can actually take legal action because out of common sense i think carpal tunnel syndrome should qualify as a job injury

It depends on the law of your country (you're a canadian Shank, right ?) In France, we have a very protective labour law and you have some procedures if your boss refuses to adapt your workplace, there is also a comitee that must exist in companies with more than 50 employees about health and safety at work.
And you can sue your employer on normal civil law for a tort. That one should also exist in common law countries such as Canada...

nightvision
07-25-2009, 03:12 AM
I've got a busted lip and eyebrow. Carried a friend on my back last night and lost balance. Ha! Didn't need a waaaambulance though.

Free?
07-25-2009, 03:47 AM
I almost feel guilty for being healthy... Gotta go inflict some damage to my body, so I can join the club.

_Lost_
07-25-2009, 06:36 AM
joy, i get the feeling that ulcers are more common in north america. you see them fairly frequently here.

JoY
07-25-2009, 06:49 AM
i was gonna say it could be an infection but joY got to it first
what joy said is very true, you're not supposed to get ulcers if you're under 50.
but if you have bad eating habits, smoke and drink, your chances of getting one will definitely increase. The reason for that is that today's youth(specially american youth) doesnt care about their health. the majority smoke, use drugs, drink a lot, and have bad eating habits like having late night snacks(2AM), drink carbonated drinks first thing in the morning. junk-greasy food also fucks up your gastronomical system with ulcers

but it could also be something minor like really bad indigestion

I think one of the main problems in America is (aside from fast-food, snacks & carbonated drinks, because that's a very good point you're making), that medication is socially accepted as an easy fix for any medical complaint, even if it's self-limiting. NSAID-type painkillers are advertised as being the perfect solution to all pains, so you don't have to waste one moment feeling crappy & you can quickly get on with your day. it's pretty much becoming a problem of the entire Western world. people these days don't have time to have one lousy, bad day due to a headache.

when asking a patient to list his/her medication, he/she will most likely leave out medication like paracetamols, aspirins, ibuprofen & oral birth control. you have to explicitly ask for medication they buy over the counter, because it's became so common, people don't even consider it medication. medically it IS incredibly relevant to know whether someone takes painkillers, or uses the pill, because they form a large risk factor for certain medical problems & often can (partially) be the underlying cause.

this all has nothing to do with Sarah specifically, though. I don't consider her the type of person to overmedicate herself.

dr.vanessa
07-25-2009, 06:55 AM
well, yeah, it kind of is. people get it at a younger age these days, but it's still not very common before your 50's. maybe over there it is, but over here that's kind of a rarity still. I don't know with what kind of crowd you hang, but it's mostly something that occurs 1) with a helicobacter pylori infection, 2) after excessive use of painkillers of the NSAID type (aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen) 3) if you're a smoker on a fatty, overspiced diet with a bad coffee addiction.

by the way, most doc's don't believe in the stress-factor of ulcers, but I definitely do. aside from stress changing a shitload in your body, especially digestion, it stimulates bad habits. if you're a smoker, you generally smoke more under stress. if you're a coffee junky, you generally drink more coffee under stress. if you're an emotional eater... you get the idea. & stress suppresses the immune system, which is beneficial for the helicobacter pylori.

in fact only 1) and 2) are approved as ulcer's reasons:) the rest is not sure yet.
btw get well soon girl:)

JoY
07-25-2009, 07:11 AM
joy, i get the feeling that ulcers are more common in north america. you see them fairly frequently here.

of all medical problems, ulcers are relatively a rather common problem. I think in a general practice, they'd be somewhere in the middle of the toplist of most common problems. but in a doctor's office you don't really get a trustworthy view of the overal prevalence, because then we're talking about a specific population, that doesn't only already has a medical complaint, but also has already taken the step to seek medical help for it. it's just a small tip of the iceberg & of course ulcers are going to be a much more frequent phenomenon there.

H. pylori infection is still the most common cause of peptic ulcers, slightly depending on if they're ventricular/gastric (in the stomach), or duodenal. H. pylori is basically a rather innocent bacteria, which usually doesn't cause any complaints (it gets more of a chance to become a pain in the ass, if the mucosa of the stomach/duodenum is damaged by other factors). there are area's where the prevalence of H. pylori is much higher. I can't say I know the numbers, but in "developed" countries the overal prevalence is about 10-20%. that's two out of ten people who are a host of the bacteria, of which a small portion normally would get complaints. if you're interested, I found an American website with some more "local" information about it. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/181753-overview

JoY
07-25-2009, 07:25 AM
in fact only 1) and 2) are approved as ulcer's reasons:) the rest is not sure yet.
btw get well soon girl:)

good, good! you're right in that those are not a direct cause.
to go into it a little bit more; fat, spices, alcohol, nicotine & caffeine stimulate acid production. that's why they're major causes of acid reflux. normally the mucosa of the stomach would be able to handle that. the stomach is what produces the acid itself, so we'd be anatomically stupid if our mucosa wasn't able to stand acid. but there are circumstances under which the mucosa of the stomach gets damaged. peptic ulcers are called peptic ulcers for a reason; pepsin is an acidic digestive juice, meaning the acid environment plays the key-role in the etiology of peptic ulcers. so the production of more acid as an effect of fat, spices, alcohol, nicotine & caffeine is not so much a direct cause, as a factor in the formation.

ps. sorry I'm getting all medical on everyone's ass.

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 07:53 AM

What the fuck are you talking about? You must be a kid and haven't done years of physical/repetitive work to know that it WILL cause carpel tunnel. Ask ANYONE that has it.

Oh and it's not from assembling. You can't take legal action. You wouldn't believe how many people were walking around with wrist splints on their arms at work. It's part of life. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic - how are you feeling Sarah?

JoY
07-25-2009, 08:06 AM
I wonder when Sarah gets back to give us an update on how she's doing.

What the fuck are you talking about? You must be a kid and haven't done years of physical/repetitive work to know that it WILL cause carpel tunnel. Ask ANYONE that has it.

Oh and it's not from assembling. You can't take legal action. You wouldn't believe how many people were walking around with wrist splints on their arms at work. It's part of life. :rolleyes:

holy shit Shank, since when did you become so bitter? last time I checked, you were this bouncy poster, happily mingling with all the kids. he might be offering a suggestion that can't help you in any way, but I thought it was pretty cute that he at least offered a suggestion.

the suggestion of legal action sounds kind of typical, by the way. I don't get that so many people these days seem to think that the easiest way of solving problems between two parties is by sending a lawyer on the other one's ass.

hey, you getting surgery for that carpal tunnel of yours?

Harleyquiiinn
07-25-2009, 08:08 AM

Shank, it's not cause it's a part of life that it's right ... What he was saying was that it is not right for you to be injured because of your work, no matter how repetitive it is...

Edit> Answer to Joy's message. I don't like abusive legal actions either. But a legal action that could acually improve work stations for employees doesn't seem abusive to me... especially because employers are not always bad faith, sometimes they are not even aware of these things... That's what Unions are for...

don't you have unions you could talk to, Shank ? Typically, these are the kind of actions they could take...

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 08:22 AM
I wonder when Sarah gets back to give us an update on how she's doing.

holy shit Shank, since when did you become so bitter? last time I checked, you were this bouncy poster, happily mingling with all the kids. he might be offering a suggestion that can't help you in any way, but I thought it was pretty cute that he at least offered a suggestion.

the suggestion of legal action sounds kind of typical, by the way. I don't get that so many people these days seem to think that the easiest way of solving problems between two parties is by sending a lawyer on the other one's ass.

hey, you getting surgery for that carpal tunnel of yours?

I'm not bitter in the least.

I bet I can count with both hands the amount of people that have had (or has) carpel tunnel that I personally know and either 1.) Has to live with it because factories don't care because they (and you) know that years of repetitive work will eventually cause this or 2.) Have surgery like my Mom did (on both wrists.)

Yes, I will be having the surgery - but don't have an exact date yet. About 5 years ago I had it in the other wrist but it was minor and had to wear a splint for night-time.

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Shank, it's not cause it's a part of life that it's right ... What he was saying was that it is not right for you to be injured because of your work, no matter how repetitive it is...

Edit> Answer to Joy's message. I don't like abusive legal actions either. But a legal action that could acually improve work stations for employees doesn't seem abusive to me... especially because employers are not always bad faith, sometimes they are not even aware of these things... That's what Unions are for...

don't you have unions you could talk to, Shank ? Typically, these are the kind of actions they could take...

I hate derailing other people threads (it's not something I do) but there was no union there. This is from my old job (last Spring - worked there 2 1/2 years) of deburring VERY small aluminum/metal parts on a belt sander. I was a floater (a floater is someone that works here, there and everywhere.) And anyone that knows what a belt sander is - you have to hold onto these parts with everything you got or else the part will literally go flying out of your hands. And carpel tunnel isn't something that you get over night. It takes years and years of repetitiveness to eventually get worse and surface.

JoY
07-25-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not bitter in the least.

I bet I can count with both hands the amount of people that have had (or has) carpel tunnel that I personally know and either 1.) Has to live with it because factories don't care because they (and you) know that years of repetitive work will eventually cause this or 2.) Have surgery like my Mom did (on both wrists.)

Yes, I will be having the surgery - but don't have an exact date yet. About 5 years ago I had it in the other wrist but it was minor and had to wear a splint for night-time.

I don't want to get all psychologic on your ass, because usually you always seem to tune up everyone's mood, but I still think you sound bitter.

which is kind of a stupid thing to say, because you don't sound like anything, since your messages are in text, but you know what I mean. & frankly, I'd understand it if you were a bit bitter about it. I don't mean overal bitterness, but just when it comes to this aspect. carpal tunnel sucks. it's always like; "hey your hand hurts? oh yeah, mine does that too every once in a while", except carpal tunnel really sucks. & it should've been perfectly avoidable, if you would've had a different job that didn't include such repetitive handy work.

it sounds like I want to piss you off, or rile you up or whatever, but I just think you saying you're not in the least bitter about it is kind of unnatural. some things just aren't fine & dandy & saying they don't affect you, doesn't make them so. especially with the way I just read your posts. maybe I misinterpreted what you said, but that didn't sound like you're not bummed out that this happened because of what you did for a living.

dude, I'm derailing threads again, aren't I? what's Sarah keeping so long??

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Personally, I'm not pissed at anyone on here - there's no reason to be. I can't say I'm really surprised that it happened (due to my work) because it was inevitable to happen sooner or later. I know a lot of people that have got it from being on a PC all day too cause we all know it isn't good for your wrists/hands/arms.

In closing, it happened so there's no sense in being bitter about it. I've done repetitive factory work for over 15 years so I knew eventually it would catch up to me.

JoY
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
good for you, girl!

except for the carpal tunnel, that still sucks. sorry about that.

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
ps. sorry I'm getting all medical on everyone's ass.

oh come ooonnnn
ya know we all just love it :D :P

any news about the putative ulcer?!

JoY
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
oh come ooonnnn
ya know we all just love it :D :P

any news about the putative ulcer?!

no, educate me. I thought anything could be putative. do you mean a pseudo ulcer?

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
no, educate me. I thought anything could be putative. do you mean a pseudo ulcer?

huumm nope not really...

i thought she didnt know for sure...WHY? is it really an ulcer?!:|

JoY
07-25-2009, 12:05 PM
nah, she hasn't checked in yet, so this whole conversation about ulcers might be just a conversation about ulcers & not have anything to do with Sarah.

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
nah, she hasn't checked in yet, so this whole conversation about ulcers might be just a conversation about ulcers & not have anything to do with Sarah.

oh ok, so that is what i meant by putative (now i see i got it all wrong - the meaning)

well, there's still space to hope that it won't turn out to be an ulcer! fingers crossed for u sarah!

JoY
07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
hahaha! I see the misunderstanding here. the problem is, an hour ago I had no idea what "putative" even meant. I'm getting there now though.

07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
i'm guessing since she inst back from the hospital it's something like an ulcer or something more serious like
1) pregnancy(she didnt really explain what she felt except for "my tummy hurts")

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 12:17 PM
i'm guessing since she inst back from the hospital it's something like an ulcer or something more serious like
1) pregnancy(she didnt really explain what she felt except for "my tummy hurts")

yeah :(
i think she would tell if she was pregnant...anyways, no kids allowed! l:P

07-25-2009, 12:20 PM
yeah :(
i think she would tell if she was pregnant...anyways, no kids allowed! l:P

but she could just be finding out right now because you can really notice the fetus in it's first week

JoY
07-25-2009, 12:21 PM
hold on... not in any case with any set of symptoms can I imagine a doctor would have "peptic ulcer" & "pregnancy" in the same differential diagnosis. a baby is not supposed to make your tummy hurt. it's just supposed to make it huge, together with making you barf & an emotional wreck that eats weird foods all day. maaaybe if the pregnancy is extrauterine, but even then.

if you'd open up the tummy, there's the stomach, the bowels (small & large intestines), the pancreas, the liver, the gallblatter, the spleen, the kidneys, the blatter & in Sarah's case the ovaries & the uterus. they're all in very different places & all give a different type of complaints if something's wrong. don't let your imagination go wild here in thinking that Sarah's somewhere now breastfeeding a kid she didn't know she was pregnant with.

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
huumm looking at the possibilities spoken here...all i can say is....poor sara!
anyways guys, maybe shes already at home sleeping or something like that, no need to worry too much!

Llamas
07-25-2009, 12:33 PM
You shouldn't get carpal tunnel from any form of repetitive work if you learn to do proper stretches each day and work out your wrists the right way. I've played sax for 15 years and I've seen many peers of mine get carpal tunnel from playing a woodwind instrument... the way your hands are positioned and constantly pushing keys down on a sax is actually considerably more likely to cause carpal tunnel than typing. I've seen some pretty nasty cases. But there are definitely ways to prevent it! I think it'd be nice for a job to teach you how to prevent these things from happening, but I'm pretty sure you can't sue a factory for that, unfortunately. My friend is an architect and she has developed some terrible, terrible back problems from being hunched over a drawing board for days. She can't sue the building company because they didn't teach her how to stretch. It's sucky to have to live with something like that.

But Shank, you really did get kinda mean and snippy with allinallitsnotsobad. Cussing and all that... he was just giving advice. There was no need to be rude to him.

And I hope Sarah is okay. I have an ulcer and it sucks. Hope that's not it!

JoY
07-25-2009, 12:35 PM
you have an ulcer??

what's with you people??!!

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 12:37 PM
you have an ulcer??

what's with you people??!!

i have never heard about anyone young (younger than 40/50) attacked by an ulcer (friends/relatives/and so on)... seriously, whats wrong with u ppl?

JoY
07-25-2009, 12:40 PM
you see? it's obvious. America sucks, Europe rules.

juuuust kidding, darling yankees out there.

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
You shouldn't get carpal tunnel from any form of repetitive work if you learn to do proper stretches each day and work out your wrists the right way. I've played sax for 15 years and I've seen many peers of mine get carpal tunnel from playing a woodwind instrument... the way your hands are positioned and constantly pushing keys down on a sax is actually considerably more likely to cause carpal tunnel than typing. I've seen some pretty nasty cases. But there are definitely ways to prevent it! I think it'd be nice for a job to teach you how to prevent these things from happening, but I'm pretty sure you can't sue a factory for that, unfortunately. My friend is an architect and she has developed some terrible, terrible back problems from being hunched over a drawing board for days. She can't sue the building company because they didn't teach her how to stretch. It's sucky to have to live with something like that.

But Shank, you really did get kinda mean and snippy with allinallitsnotsobad. Cussing and all that... he was just giving advice. There was no need to be rude to him.

And I hope Sarah is okay. I have an ulcer and it sucks. Hope that's not it!

Unless you know exactly what it is that I did, you can't teach someone the "proper" way of doing it without getting carpel tunnel. Stretches? The parts were about a half an inch big (metal) so there is no stretching you can learn to do. You know what a belt sander is right, and how fast it moves?

That's why I said, what the fuck are you talking about. If you don't know and didn't do it - then you have no reason to pretend like you know what the job was considering the fact I did about 10,000 of them a day for over 2 years. Pushing buttons on a sax. and holding a very small part against something rough moving very quickly is no comparison. And yes, I know what a sax. is - I played various instruments of the sort in school for 5 years.

Edit: What leads to carpal tunnel syndrome?

Making the same hand movements over and over can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. It's most common in people whose jobs require pinching or gripping with the wrist held bent. People at risk include people who use computers, carpenters, grocery checkers, assembly-line workers, meat packers, violinists, mechanics, or anyone using vibrating machinery.

Anyway, I've said what I said about this and I'm done. Let's hope Sarah is alright and gives everyone an update soon.

Little_Miss_1565
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Hai guyz.

The blackberry died after about hour 5 in the ER and I didn't leave until a few hours after that, then dragged ass home and felt too awful to get online and check in. After puking/dry heaving for awhile then drinking a bottle of Pepto that my friend and neighbor was neighborly enough to bring to me and sleeping for 12 hours, I feel a little better today.

ER tests found nothing but they wouldn't do an ultrasound or an endoscopy, and after talking to my dad (who is a physician), he thinks it's either gallstones or an ulcer, and I need those two tests to confirm. I just ate some mac and cheese w/some ground flax and am taking it easy with Degrassi on demand and more clear liquids than I've ever seen in my life. Let's hear it for cold brew iced tea, too. Nom.

And no, Allinall, I'm not preggo, thank gaaaaaawd.

anyone using vibrating machinery.

That's what she said!

But seriously, of course you can get carpal tunnel as a hazard of doing factory work, it's not a matter of orthopedics or stretches and shit -- that's why OSHA exists in the US. WTF are all of you talking about?

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Glad you're ok. I really hope for your sake it isn't gallstones. My sis had those years ago and she had to have her gullbladder removed... eugh. Take'r easy.

Little_Miss_1565
07-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanx guyz.

JoY
07-25-2009, 01:12 PM
what? they let you go home & didn't fully examine you?? what for?? do they hate you???
maybe I can help in some small tiny way.. some symptoms are very typical. at least we know you're nauseous.. do you have this crazy pain on the right upper side of your belly that makes it impossible for you to sit, stand, or lay still? maybe it radiates to the back, or your right shoulder? or maybe it doesn't radiate to anything & it's more positioned above the belly button, at the end of the chestbone? does the pain have anything to do with your eating pattern? like, does it come a few hours after having had some fatty food? maybe it's more of a whining pain, maybe you can describe it? do you take NSAID's on a somewhat regular basis? the answer to those questions might tell the difference.

KHWHD
07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
If it is indeed your gallbladder - stay away from greasy food! (Although I'm pretty sure they told you that already.)

Rutegard
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
im glad u r working on your recovery, make it work!

Little_Miss_1565
07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
what? they let you go home & didn't fully examine you?? what for?? do they hate you???

It was a Manhattan ER full of screaming people, both sane and insane. So yes, they hate everyone, and if they can push you off a few days they will.

symptoms

Thanks for your help. The pain is centered right below my sternum. It sometimes radiates to my back, it almost feels like to my kidneys or something crazy. The pain gets worse after eating anything that isn't super simple to digest, but feels better while I'm eating. It feels almost like the entire outline of my stomach is one huge painful...thing. Like it's so intense I can almost visualize what my stomach looks like, if that makes any sense at all. I don't take NSAIDs, but I take other medication for nerve pain, a muscle relaxer, and a non-NSAID painkiller daily for the last 4 or 5 years. It's hard to lie still but walking doesn't work to help it. The best is usually to just lie down. What do you think?

Llamas
07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
ER tests found nothing but they wouldn't do an ultrasound or an endoscopy, and after talking to my dad (who is a physician), he thinks it's either gallstones or an ulcer, and I need those two tests to confirm. I just ate some mac and cheese w/some ground flax and am taking it easy with Degrassi on demand and more clear liquids than I've ever seen in my life. Let's hear it for cold brew iced tea, too. Nom.
Suck! Gallstones and ulcers... neither is a good option :( Gallstones are at least quickly cured, though, and ulcers you pretty much have to live with... right? So I guess gallstones would be the preferred of the two...

But seriously, of course you can get carpal tunnel as a hazard of doing factory work, it's not a matter of orthopedics or stretches and shit -- that's why OSHA exists in the US. WTF are all of you talking about?
Oh yeah of course it's a huge risk of that kind of work... I don't think anyone was saying otherwise. But there are ways to help prevent it happening. It's not fool-proof, but athletes run risks of getting shin splints... there are ways to help prevent getting shin splints, but if you're running a lot, you are gonna have that risk no matter what.

Unless you know exactly what it is that I did, you can't teach someone the "proper" way of doing it without getting carpel tunnel. Stretches? The parts were about a half an inch big (metal) so there is no stretching you can learn to do. You know what a belt sander is right, and how fast it moves?
I'm not trying to teach you to do any proper ways of doing anything; I'm just saying that, outside of work, aka between shifts, there are therapeutic things you can do to try to make the strain on your joints less detrimental, which in turn decreases your chances of ending up with a serious problem.

That's why I said, what the fuck are you talking about. If you don't know and didn't do it -
I think this is the type of thing Joy was referring to when she said you sound bitter. No need to swear and make rude comments like "what the fuck are you talking about?"

then you have no reason to pretend like you know what the job was considering the fact I did about 10,000 of them a day for over 2 years.
I certainly never claimed to know exactly what the job was. Nowhere did I do that.

Pushing buttons on a sax. and holding a very small part against something rough moving very quickly is no comparison. And yes, I know what a sax. is - I played various instruments of the sort in school for 5 years.
Gah, I didn't say they were the same thing. All I said is that they both lead to carpal tunnel very easily. And when did I assume you don't know what a sax is??

Making the same hand movements over and over can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. It's most common in people whose jobs require pinching or gripping with the wrist held bent. People at risk include people who use computers, carpenters, grocery checkers, assembly-line workers, meat packers, violinists, mechanics, or anyone using vibrating machinery.
I am fully aware of what cause carpal tunnel... notice that violinists are in the list - musicians are very prone to getting this disease. It's a terrible thing and there are unfortunately a lot of ways people can get it, and it's pretty hard to prevent. As I said, there's no sure-fire way of making sure you don't get it.

JoY
07-26-2009, 04:39 AM
It was a Manhattan ER full of screaming people, both sane and insane. So yes, they hate everyone, and if they can push you off a few days they will.

Thanks for your help. The pain is centered right below my sternum. It sometimes radiates to my back, it almost feels like to my kidneys or something crazy. The pain gets worse after eating anything that isn't super simple to digest, but feels better while I'm eating. It feels almost like the entire outline of my stomach is one huge painful...thing. Like it's so intense I can almost visualize what my stomach looks like, if that makes any sense at all. I don't take NSAIDs, but I take other medication for nerve pain, a muscle relaxer, and a non-NSAID painkiller daily for the last 4 or 5 years. It's hard to lie still but walking doesn't work to help it. The best is usually to just lie down. What do you think?

oh my god, that sounds mighty hectic...

it sounds more like your stomach than your gallblatter, but then again some symptoms seem more like it's your gallblatter & your story isn't super typical or anything. I would ask you more, but it feels so weird to do that in the middle of this topic.
like, how much time after eating does it start to hurt so bad? & what's the medication called that you take? if you press one finger in your belly I suppose it'll hurt, because it all sounds very painful, but if you quickly pull away your finger after pressing it against your belly, does that hurt too? & while doing that, please note your muscle tension. if you involuntarily tense all your tummy muscles & you're absolutely unable to relax them, please make a mention of it to your dad.

everyone's probably already been looking for the symptom of Murphy? you press down your fingers firmly right under the ribs on the right side & you try to take a deep breath. if you can't deeply inhale & your inhalation just stops 'cause of the pain, it's more likely this is your gallblatter being such a pain in the ass.

I wish I could do anything to help...

JoY
07-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Suck! Gallstones and ulcers... neither is a good option :( Gallstones are at least quickly cured, though, and ulcers you pretty much have to live with... right? So I guess gallstones would be the preferred of the two...

I don't know, babe. ulcers are in most cases treatable too. I don't know why yours isn't. did anyone ever try to set you up with two different kind of antibiotics (amoxicillin & clarithromycin) & a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazol? if you're treatment-resistent, they could try adding on a third antibiotic.

I know you don't dig medication, but walking around with an ulcer like it's nothing is weird & not good. what makes you think you still have the damn thing, because I'm surprised that if it's been sitting around for so long, it hasn't caused a perforation yet.

gallstones can suddenly become an acute emergency, quicker in most cases than an ulcer. digestive juices are piling up, depending on where the gallstone's stuck, which is just scary for your organs. & removing gallstones is mostly requires an invasive procedure. personally, I think I'd rather go with an ulcer, though I'm mighty glad I don't have to choose & really hope both of you will get rid of whichever of the two is bugging you.

Harleyquiiinn
07-26-2009, 06:54 AM
Hai guyz.

The blackberry died after about hour 5 in the ER and I didn't leave until a few hours after that, then dragged ass home and felt too awful to get online and check in. After puking/dry heaving for awhile then drinking a bottle of Pepto that my friend and neighbor was neighborly enough to bring to me and sleeping for 12 hours, I feel a little better today.

And no, Allinall, I'm not preggo, thank gaaaaaawd.

That's what she said!

LM> I was absolutely not saying that she couldn't have one, and neither did Allin All I think... we were saying that it shouldn't be from the work... The employer has an obligation to make sure that the employees don't get injured and it includes injuries dued to a repetetive work... as you said, this is why OSHA exists ;) Edit: but maybe you were answering to Ilovellamas, actually...
Hope you're feeling better by the way...

Shank > Yes I see, it's indeed kinda tough if you got it from different jobs... I maintain that more should be done to enforce health in the workplace, even for floaters ... it is not right to get injured from work, no matter what it is...I had a client these last months who couldn't stand properly in the morning because of the repetitive work he did for several years...
Anyway... good luck with that

Llamas
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't know, babe. ulcers are in most cases treatable too. I don't know why yours isn't. did anyone ever try to set you up with two different kind of antibiotics (amoxicillin & clarithromycin) & a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazol? if you're treatment-resistent, they could try adding on a third antibiotic.

I know you don't dig medication, but walking around with an ulcer like it's nothing is weird & not good. what makes you think you still have the damn thing, because I'm surprised that if it's been sitting around for so long, it hasn't caused a perforation yet.

gallstones can suddenly become an acute emergency, quicker in most cases than an ulcer. digestive juices are piling up, depending on where the gallstone's stuck, which is just scary for your organs. & removing gallstones is mostly requires an invasive procedure. personally, I think I'd rather go with an ulcer, though I'm mighty glad I don't have to choose & really hope both of you will get rid of whichever of the two is bugging you.

Mine isn't quite an ulcer, actually; instead of a disturbance in the lining of my stomach, mine is actually in my duodenum. I'm not sure if it's still called an ulcer, actually. It causes me to dry heave and feel really nauseous when I get particularly stressed about things. I also puke really easily, especially when I drink beer or things that are highly acidic. I was on medication when I was younger, but all it did was reduce the nausea, and the side effects weren't worth it to me (and the cost). The doctor never said anything about it being curable.

JoY
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Mine isn't quite an ulcer, actually; instead of a disturbance in the lining of my stomach, mine is actually in my duodenum. I'm not sure if it's still called an ulcer, actually. It causes me to dry heave and feel really nauseous when I get particularly stressed about things. I also puke really easily, especially when I drink beer or things that are highly acidic. I was on medication when I was younger, but all it did was reduce the nausea, and the side effects weren't worth it to me (and the cost). The doctor never said anything about it being curable.

in the duodenum, if it's an ulcer, it's just as much called an ulcer.
I'd say find a different doctor. did they try to set you up with 2 different antibiotics & a proton pump inhibitor? because if it is an ulcer, they should at least run some tests for H. pylori - because if it's an ulcer, that's most likely what's causing it - & treat it aggressively for once & for all, so you don't get symptoms from the stupid thing anymore (even if it's a rare occasion that it troubles you). besides, it's risky to run around with an ulcer for years & years.

Sarah, how you doin', girl?? I was thinking the other day; hunger pain, meaning between meals, which is relieved by eating, mostly sounds like an ulcer. but I don't know, you're having problems that *could* be typical for both. did they nail the mofo that's causing this already?

Oxygene
08-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Shit Sarah.. get better. Keep us posted on what's wrong

SMASHedTHEignition
08-03-2009, 04:40 AM

haha i agree, whod do that? is she a nun?

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Sarah, how you doin', girl?? I was thinking the other day; hunger pain, meaning between meals, which is relieved by eating, mostly sounds like an ulcer. but I don't know, you're having problems that *could* be typical for both. did they nail the mofo that's causing this already?

Shit Sarah.. get better. Keep us posted on what's wrong

Thanks for asking, guys. Turns out it's kind of pre-ulcery -- it's a stomach infection. I had the doctor fax the report from my endoscopy and all the bloodwork to my dad because he would not leave me alone about it until I did, and now I am so glad I did. The doctor told me all was normal, even though he did a biopsy and that biopsy was negative for H. pylori. When my dad read the report, it said that there was a lot of inflammation, and that the test they did for H. pylori is notorious for throwing off false negatives in patients with abnormal immune systems. My immune system is overactive -- not enough to throw off an ANA result that I have lupus or anything, but enough for my ANA not to be normal. So despite the negative test result, I still have a stomach infection and it's probably H. pylori. So I just started a buttload of antibiotics. Fingers crossed. I miss bourbon. :(

haha i agree, whod do that? is she a nun?

Hah, something like that, actually. Turns out she wasn't the baby's mom but a representative from a child services agency. Poor baby.

JoY
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for asking, guys. Turns out it's kind of pre-ulcery -- it's a stomach infection. I had the doctor fax the report from my endoscopy and all the bloodwork to my dad because he would not leave me alone about it until I did, and now I am so glad I did. The doctor told me all was normal, even though he did a biopsy and that biopsy was negative for H. pylori. When my dad read the report, it said that there was a lot of inflammation, and that the test they did for H. pylori is notorious for throwing off false negatives in patients with abnormal immune systems. My immune system is overactive -- not enough to throw off an ANA result that I have lupus or anything, but enough for my ANA not to be normal. So despite the negative test result, I still have a stomach infection and it's probably H. pylori. So I just started a buttload of antibiotics. Fingers crossed. I miss bourbon. :(

ah, that sucks, chika... :[ got to sit out those antibiotics. I hope they'll treat you well & that the antibiotics don't give any side effects. did they give you something for the acid aswell, so at least the tummy ache goes away?

Rutegard
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
good luck with the recover thing!*fingers crossed*

IamSam
08-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I miss bourbon. :(

Ha. Glad you threw that one in there.

Hope all goes well and that's all it is! :)

SweetTatyana
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM

^this actually made me lol

Yeah, arent people in North America more likely to have ulcers not only due to higher stress levels but consuming a more acidic diet from our love of soft drinks, coffee etc?

And glad to hear you're doing better LM, Degrassi is great for days where you just lie around :)

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Yup, on something for the acid as well so that's getting better. But all I want to do is nap, and I feel a bit feverish. Ugh.

And glad to hear you're doing better LM, Degrassi is great for days where you just lie around :)

I caught up on sooooo much Degrassi this weekend! OMG HOLLY J LOVES SPINNER ARE THEY GOING TO GET TOGETHER?

Rag Doll
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
i have an infection at the moment too. but all the antibiotics were making me so sick that the doctor took me off them and is hoping i got enough into my system to get rid of it. i hope you're feeling better!

SweetTatyana
08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Yup, on something for the acid as well so that's getting better. But all I want to do is nap, and I feel a bit feverish. Ugh.

I caught up on sooooo much Degrassi this weekend! OMG HOLLY J LOVES SPINNER ARE THEY GOING TO GET TOGETHER?

Haha thats actually the last episode they showed in Canada too :( apparently they made a degrassi movie and its being played august 30!

Rutegard
08-04-2009, 12:53 AM
i have an infection at the moment too. but all the antibiotics were making me so sick that the doctor took me off them and is hoping i got enough into my system to get rid of it. i hope you're feeling better!

couldnt he just changed the antibiotics? or your organism really dont like them? dude that sucks big time

SMASHedTHEignition
08-04-2009, 12:54 AM
the worst sickness i ever had was like glandeular fevev i think

hshduppsnt
08-04-2009, 01:14 AM
ehhhh.... that doesn't sound good at all, sarah. I hope the antibiotics take care of everything and don't make you feel like too much crap in the meantime. Get better!

(insert pre-ulcer joke here to lighten mood - I'm currently not clever enough to come up with one)

Oxygene
08-04-2009, 01:47 AM

This sounds serious.. well best of luck, if we can help let us know!

-Oxy

RickyCrack
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
my <3 goes out to sarah

Superdope
08-04-2009, 03:28 AM
I just read this thread. Get better, Sarah.

IamSam
08-04-2009, 06:14 AM
my <3 goes out to sarah

It should actually be your stomach.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys! I really appreciate them :)

Eeeeee! Are you hanging in there? Infection popped up fast... sending good feelings your way.

Haha thats actually the last episode they showed in Canada too :( apparently they made a degrassi movie and its being played august 30!

Hahahahaaa it airs here August 14th. Suck it! ;) I'm trying to find a bar or something that will let me and my friends take it over so we can watch it.

nieh
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
It should actually be your stomach.

I'm actually a little surprised he said <3 instead of 8=D or something of that nature.

JoY
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM

negative for H. pylori, possibly false negative, positive ANA... stomach infection.. gastritis...

there's something wrong with this picture. dammit. I shouldn't even try to practice medicine, but I can't stand it when I think something's off, definitely not in someone I remotely give a shit about. I'll let you know what my thoughts are & you can do with it whatever you want;

symptoms of gastritis are caused by the stomach acid attacking the inflamed stomach wall, yes, but symptoms usually get worse while eating. symptoms of an ulcer get better while eating. the last thing was the case with you, though gastritis can very well give rise to an ulcer. you feel like the entire lining of your stomach hurts, so that could indicate that the complete stomach wall is involved, like in gastritis.

you said you have an overactive immune system, which is probably true, since your ANA is positive, or at least it didn't turn out negative. the reason your ANA was tested, is probably because you have systemic symptoms of auto-immunity. ("I take other medication for nerve pain, a muscle relaxer, and a non-NSAID painkiller daily for the last 4 or 5 years", I'm guessing that has something to do with it? I don't know what lead to giving you that medication. I don't know what the medication exactly is) there's such a thing as auto-immune gastritis, which I think should be checked out, if it hasn't been checked out yet. I don't know if they ran tests to see if you also have antibodies against parietal cells & things like that.

for how long have you been having this anyway? were you feverish?

I know the reliability of Wiki sucks, but this article ain't so bad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastritis
I also found this: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch013/ch013c.html
Merck Manual contains pretty good guidelines & is mostly written in very understandable language.

I thought I'd share, just in case you want to know more about it & want to talk about what's going on with your dad, or doctor...

Llamas
08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Good luck, Sarah and Sam... crappy situations :( Stop being sick!!

The Piano
08-05-2009, 03:03 AM
I hope everything shall be ok and just stay positive and strong. Trust in yourself. I don't know. sorry. Take care beautiful. :):)