PDA

View Full Version : Downloading: legal or illegal ?

Harleyquiiinn
07-24-2009, 03:04 PM
So, I was wondering if you guys downloaded music or films legally, illegally or both ?

In each case, why ?
Would you download on Itunes if some things were changed ?

If you already download on Itunes, why ? considering that you can find it for free in any places ? Do you care about authors/artists or is it something else ?

And also, do you still buy CDs ?

What are your thoughts about sanctions on illegal downloading ? What do you think could be done to preserve authors rights and allow people to download the way they want ?

To sum up these questions, what are your thoughts on downloading in general ?

nameless
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
i purchase all my music. i do use itunes by i mainly enjoy owning a cd. i think its wrong downloading music for free, just for all the usual reasons, it takes money from the artist etc. to be fair though, with the price of some cds its no wonder people download music for free. i dont agree with it though!

KHWHD
07-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I buy all my CD's/DVD's.

Free?
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
File sharing is a great thing. I don't risk to lose any money if the movie/album i'm downloading will be a disappointment, but if it's something I liked a lot, I'll probably buy it. Same applies on everything that can be downloaded.
I'm not that rich to buy everything I'm slightly interested about, also, lately I get disappointed quite a lot.

I'd be REALLY pissed if I had to buy every movie and album I've checked. It's like almost impossible to expand your horizons without downloading.

jacknife737
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I buy cds, and the vast majority of my music. About 90% of the stuff i listen to are on indie lables, so i don't mind supporting them.

I will never pay to download music. And i loath itunes especially.

I do however, download music via torrents and megaopload/rapidshare; for stuff that i don't want to pay for, stuff i can't find in stores, or to sample new stuff.

Downloading is a great way to sample new music, and listen to tons of bands that you otherwise may have ignored. Yet there are clearly negative consequences; lots of small indie labels like Asian Man, or even Fat Wreck that have treated their artists well and helped to foster a music scene are getting hit very hard, and as a result people loose their jobs. I won't condone filesharing, but i won't protest it either; i'm a total flip-flop and hypocrite on this issue.

Budzy
07-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I used to download all mine through Limewire, but we ended up taking our computer back to the computer guy that many times that I couldn't keep risking it. Apparently 40% of all files on Limewire are virus corrupted :confused:

nieh
07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I buy cds most of the time I want to get an album, but when I do download stuff, it's always illegally, normally on soulseek. I'm not going to spend money to download an album when I can get a cd for pretty much the same price and it looks/feels/sounds better.

GreenTerror
07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Ew, Limewire.

Of all the media files I have on my computer, there's only one album that I actually physically have with me. I have tons more CDs, but they're all in California in storage.
My stance on the illegal downloading issue: I don't care. I'm an asshole and I know the effects of people using filesharing to get movies and music, and I don't care. I get virtually any music, and every movie, or TV show that exists so ridiculously easy, and for free. I don't buy anything anymore. I don't have the money to, even if I had the morals to give a shit and feel bad for downloading.
This is an incredibly awesome thing we're able to do and it would be silly not to take advantage of it.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-24-2009, 06:07 PM
about time you made a thread like this harley!
anyway, my stance on music is that i download them first to preview the music. if it's good enough i buy the CD. if it's not good enough i just download it without paying for while saying "yippie kay-yay mothafucka"
for movies i have high standards so that means i dont have lots of DVD's. i download it to preview and if it was a good movie(it has to good like the dark knight or the hangover)i go and buy the dvd

yes limewire is infected with viruses but the deal is that people dont have common sense to know when you are downloading a virus. i have limewire on my computer and i know which ones are viruses and which ones are not. if i download a virus i
1) try to delete teh song
2) if i can i scan it with my antivirus to get rid of it
3)i that doesn't work i use windows vista to restrict it's actions so i cant do anything

you should know when you download a virus because when you execute the file your computer will start action like if it was on colombian bam bam or it will act like a sloth

Human
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Illegally most of the time. I don't think I've actually bought any music since last year. Also, a lot of the music I listen to isn't owned by a label or anything, and wouldn't be sold on itunes or a cd store. Most of my music I get off limewire.

Budzy
07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
about time you made a thread like this harley!
anyway, my stance on music is that i download them first to preview the music. if it's good enough i buy the CD. if it's not good enough i just download it without paying for while saying "yippie kay-yay mothafucka"
for movies i have high standards so that means i dont have lots of DVD's. i download it to preview and if it was a good movie(it has to good like the dark knight or the hangover)i go and buy the dvd

yes limewire is infected with viruses but the deal is that people dont have common sense to know when you are downloading a virus. i have limewire on my computer and i know which ones are viruses and which ones are not. if i download a virus i
1) try to delete teh song
2) if i can i scan it with my antivirus to get rid of it
3)i that doesn't work i use windows vista to restrict it's actions so i cant do anything

you should know when you download a virus because when you execute the file your computer will start action like if it was on colombian bam bam or it will act like a sloth

Sometimes they slip through. You look at the file, it's labelled correctly. The size of the file seems to fit the length of it and it's an MP3 file. Then you download it, open it and it opens iTunes but doesn't play, but the virus has already started infecting shit on your computer, no matter how quick you delete it. And sometimes they don't appear as virus' to your anti-virus program.
My computer got so fucked up it stopped recognizing the keyboard as a keyboard (and because the mouse is connected via the keyboard it didn't recognize that either), the modem as a modem and CD/DVD drive as a CD/DVD drive, so you couldn't even put the keyboard software in and reinstall it. The guy at the shop says it was one of the worst cases he's seen :o

07-24-2009, 06:21 PM
yes i know what you mean by "they slip through" cuz that happened to me once but i act fast(shadow the hedgehog fast) and my computer is never harmed.
but i guess it could have been the virus that you got infected with

coke_a_holic
07-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I've stopped buying music for the most part. I pretty much just buy cds from bands when I see them live, or if they have a new cd coming out soon, I pre-order it. Otherwise, I just don't bother with it. I mean, the artists themselves don't get so much from album sales that it's a worthwhile argument.

I'd rather buy an album direct from the label or direct from the band, depending on both the label and the band. In a few recent cases, I've downloaded the music illegally, then just donated money to the band when I saw them live, as a thank you.

ad8
07-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I have basically the same opinion as Free? here. I am willing to buy/support really good music, but I mostly find out about it via downloads. I don't even want to imagine what kind of music I would listen to if I had not had the internet as a means to discover new artists. It would definately not have been the Offspring(I got really deep into Offspring music when I listened through the songs on Offspring.com)

What are your thoughts about sanctions on illegal downloading ?
In Germany you can get up to 5 years prison for illegal filesharing. I think this is ok. I mean, WHY SHOULDN'T ILLEGAL DOWNLOADERS BE PUNISHED AS HARD AS PEOPLE WHO FUCKING RAPE CHILDREN?:mad:

Harleyquiiinn
07-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Hey thanks for taking the time to answer ! Interesting stuff in that...

i purchase all my music. i do use itunes by i mainly enjoy owning a cd. i think its wrong downloading music for free, just for all the usual reasons, it takes money from the artist etc. to be fair though, with the price of some cds its no wonder people download music for free. i dont agree with it though!

wah I admire you on that one :D
I'm starting to think it is not the CD price though... here, it's been several years that the majors and even some indie labels do commercial operations when they lower their price... you can get a CD for about 5 Ä (7$) if you buy it at the right time... it works but not so much... besides, in this case, the artists earns about half of the percentage he should earn (at least, it was a common thing in the contract I saw...)...and the price is lowered so it kinda sucks for him...

Free> True, I kinda act the same way but as the time passes, I realize that I rarely buy the stuff... I get a lot more careful... I'm not sure if it is because of the quality of the music or because a part of me just don't want to pay for it and try to find justifications in "it's not good enough to buy"

Jacknife and coke_a_holic> Ah, what you say about supporting indie labels is interesting. I also differenciate when the CD comes from a major or indie... the problem is that sometimes, Indie doesn't really mean anything... some artists are classified as indie when the label actually belongs to a major...

Budzy> Use Bit Torrent, go to Mininova. You can read comments about the file you want so when there is a virus, people usually say it immediately...:)

Nieh> Yes, I don't understand legal downloading either... I especially didn't understand it when there were DRM on them...

GreenTerror> I basically do the same but I wish I could do it without any guilt like you lol :D

Allin All> Do you buy all you like or do you make a choice ? I mean, do you own every cd of the music you actually liked or is there some that you liked but that you didn't think was good enough to buy the CD ?

Ad8> lol, downloading also got me into the Offspring.... :o
As for the 5 years, I believe this is for counterfeiting and copyright infringement in general, isn't it ? We risk the same here (although it never happened...) but they are trying to make a specific law for illegal downloading because the counterfeiting offence just don't fit...

holland25
07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1060/gggggad.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/gggggad.jpg/)

Illegally, 90% of this number is downloaded through either DC++, Bittorrent or SoulSeek

I never downloaded a corrupted file, or any virus through them.

But I also buy CD's from my favourite bands.

SuperKnux
07-25-2009, 01:30 AM
I used to buy music CD's for so many years. I would buy one album atleast once every two weeks on average. I did this for 13 years straight.. then I got a Zune for Christmas, and I realised just how usless owning/buying music really is.

Now I download everything through torrents. I don't care if the physical album is selling for 5 bucks at Best Buy, I still download it for free. I don't really care if the band is mainstream or another run of the mill indie band that nobody has heard of.. I will still download your shit for free, and I like that just fine.

Blitz!
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
I have always believed that if an artist didnít want us to download their stuff, they should make it much harder for us to do so.

That being said, yes I download music, this is for two reasons : Firstly, I would prefer to know what is on an album before I consider purchasing it. There have been many times I have purchased a CD and have been majorly disappointed with it content. Secondly, there are CDs that I canít purchase for one reason or another.

Besides downloading, I also purchase CD because I like owning the original copy, especially for bands that I love.

07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Budzy> Use Bit Torrent, go to Mininova. You can read comments about the file you want so when there is a virus, people usually say it immediately...:)

about torrent clients...
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm306/picbasket/ha.jpg
i think my computer was trying to posses me:eek:

Grimesy da Offspringfan
07-25-2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExXUwlJENl8

Jebus
07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
The last album I bought was Splinter in 2003. The last dvd I bought was Dream Theater - Live in Bodukan in 2004. I'm sure most of the bands I listen to are rather well off so I'm not feeling guilty for downloading. Aside from that, I find CDs silly because the music winds up in your mp3 player while the actual physical cd will sit on in your drawer never to be used again. I don't listen to that much music anyway so meh.

On the other hand, I tend to buy comic books whenever I can even though I download most of them first. Unlike cds, the "physical media" for comic books actually has some use since you can read directly of them. CDs just feel like an obsolete means of storage. I guess paper is becoming obsolete too, but the experience of reading a physical copy is still better than off a computer screen. Same goes for books.

T-6005
07-25-2009, 02:55 PM
The last album I bought was Splinter in 2003. The last dvd I bought was Dream Theater - Live in Bodukan in 2004. I'm sure most of the bands I listen to are rather well off so I'm not feeling guilty for downloading. Aside from that, I find CDs silly because the music winds up in your mp3 player while the actual physical cd will sit on in your drawer never to be used again. I don't listen to that much music anyway so meh.

On the other hand, I tend to buy comic books whenever I can even though I download most of them first. Unlike cds, the "physical media" for comic books actually has some use since you can read directly of them. CDs just feel like an obsolete means of storage. I guess paper is becoming obsolete too, but the experience of reading a physical copy is still better than off a computer screen. Same goes for books.

I absolutely download all of my comics first - the only one I've taken a chance on has been X-Factor, and thankfully I absolutely wasn't disappointed with. I plan on keeping on with the series as soon as I find X-Factor #13, either as part of its inclusive Marvel Classics version or by itself.

I download music, movies, TV shows and comics and feel no shame in doing so. If companies are going to force an unfairly priced piece of media on me and feel justified in living in such a rigid economic model, then I refuse to feel sorry for them when I take advantage of my natural economic inclinations and get the same media for less.

I do like to support comics and the TV shows I find exceptional, though. And I will never, ever download a book. Books are also overpriced, but I need the paper.

Jebus
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Books are also overpriced
I don't know. Books are pretty cheap in terms of hours per dollar value if you don't go for the hard cover. Last book I bought was 600 pages for 10 bucks, which isn't bad at all. Even 200 pages for 10 dollars seems alright to me. That's at least 6 hours of solid entertainment. Now graphic novels are expensive as fuck in comparison, but that's understandable due to the full colored pages.

SK8rocka
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I've always enjoyed owning a Physical copy of my music, If i do download anything its usually bootlegs or in a rare case i might download something else, if i like it ill most probally buy it later, like Rafrag, i downloaded that but then i brought it like a week later :P

jacknife737
07-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll also echo the thought that books are overpriced. A skimpy paper back runs like 10-12 dollars now. Non-fiction stuff is even worse, i recently bought a bunch of academic-poli sci stuff which were essentially glorified journal articles (ie, only run about 100 pages, zero pictures, ect) and they cost me over $10 each. Still, i'll never switch over to 'e-books'.

Jacknife and coke_a_holic> Ah, what you say about supporting indie labels is interesting. I also differenciate when the CD comes from a major or indie... the problem is that sometimes, Indie doesn't really mean anything... some artists are classified as indie when the label actually belongs to a major...

There may be some cases were the lines between major and indie are blurred; but there are tons of labels (No Idea, Asian Man, Fat Wreck, ect, ect) that are completely diy and hold absolutely zero connection to their major counterparts. All it takes is a little research to tell the difference.

dff_punk
07-26-2009, 11:12 AM
The only albums I buy are from The Offspring or from some local band from my country which I want to support. I get all the rest of my music via torrents/rapidshare. Same with video files(movies, tv shows etc).

Harleyquiiinn
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll also echo the thought that books are overpriced. A skimpy paper back runs like 10-12 dollars now. Non-fiction stuff is even worse, i recently bought a bunch of academic-poli sci stuff which were essentially glorified journal articles (ie, only run about 100 pages, zero pictures, ect) and they cost me over $10 each. Still, i'll never switch over to 'e-books'.

There may be some cases were the lines between major and indie are blurred; but there are tons of labels (No Idea, Asian Man, Fat Wreck, ect, ect) that are completely diy and hold absolutely zero connection to their major counterparts. All it takes is a little research to tell the difference.

oh yes... but you know, you are at the store, you don't have the Internet... or... you are on mininova, you are tempted to download, you don't want to search the Internet... :D

Anyway, I do support Indie when I really like something... we have some huge stores called "Fnac" here which makes a compilation of inide music about every 3 months... it's a great thing. It's cheap, makes you discover great music and the money goes to the labels...

About Indie in video games, I recently discovered a game called "Braid". It's an indie game, made by one guy in 2 years... seriously, it was so good and so beautiful that I didn't even think of downloading it illegally... So I guess that quality matters a lot when it comes to downloading...

I'm curious about the people who legally download... Doesn't it frustrate you to pay for something that you can have for free 2 webistes from here ? I mean, I can understand how you think it's for the artists, and I think the same...still, when i'm a little bit poor, my choice is made easily... Also, if you want to pay for it, why just not go to a store and buy a CD so you have something tangible ? or do you just don't care AT ALL about the CD ? :confused:

gabbag
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I love buying cds and that is how I have most of my music. I really don't like Itunes and I dont even have an itunes account. I do download some songs illegally, but usually wind up buying the cd eventually if it is a band I like. I hate when they make things digital downloads only because I like having a physical copy of it. I love cd booklets and I love going to the store and getting a new cd, it makes me happy. Cds are much better then downloading music and if i do download it is illegally.