PDA

View Full Version : TV commercial rips off Come out and play

Russel
07-26-2009, 09:36 AM
I just came across a pure rip off of come out and play used in polish commercial of car oil. Stupid as hell, but check this shit out and tell me if i'm wrong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bltwq_G5n00
wonder if the band knows anything about it...

KHWHD
07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, it does sound a lot like COAP. :confused:

m.offspring.r
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
pretty similar... LOOOL

Harleyquiiinn
07-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Ah I'm always careful about rip off accusations but yes: COMPLETELY !

But we don't know... maybe they just got the rights to use the music but not the interpretation ...

(Yes, because you have 2 type of rights in a song: 1) Author rights on the lyrics and music and 2) Artist rights, on the interpretation. Clearing the author rights authorizes you to make a cover of the song).

randman21
07-26-2009, 10:08 AM
hahaha there's no possible way that it is not a rip off. But it has to have been authorized. No one's that dumb.

Harleyquiiinn
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
hahaha there's no possible way that it is not a rip off. But it has to have been authorized. No one's that dumb.

Ooooh yes, they are :D

Here, the UMP (political party of our beloved president, Sarko 1er) used Kids by MGMT in a promotional video and in meetings... without authorization... (and just when they were campaining for a law against copyright infringement... it was actually hilarious)...

Law practice, especially for commercials made for dumb companies: "let's use that music without authorization, they might not give it to us and it's only a 2 weeks campain, nobody will notice... and if they notice, well, then we will sign an agreement to avoid court..."

That said, I have no idea what is the situation here...

Jojan
07-26-2009, 10:20 AM
It was posted here a loooong time ago. lol, noobs.

Harleyquiiinn
07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
It was posted here a loooong time ago. lol, noobs.

Wah, I guess he deserves to be banned for eternity after being whipped in public by every member of the board who is here for at least 4 years and has 3000 posts then...

:rolleyes:

Blitz!
07-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I am sure that they are paying royalties for the use of the music and if not, when Dexter views the boards, he will know about it and take the necessary action.

Wah, I guess he deserves to be banned for eternity after being whipped in public by every member of the board who is here for at least 4 years and has 3000 posts then...

ROFL ... shame, give Jojan a break, he is harmless :)

Llamas
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh wow, this is probably the first time someone has posted something here about someone ripping off the offspring (or vice versa) that I agreed with.

I agreed that RHCP ripped off Tom Petty a bit, and Avril Lavigne ripped off that "Hey you I don't like your boyfriend" song. But this is huge if it's not a cover. It seems like they changed it... like they changed the riff, which makes it seem like not a cover...

SK8rocka
07-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah! this version totally pwns the Original :P

cool 2 hate 681
07-26-2009, 07:13 PM

november 2008 was not that long ago

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35367

tayluhhx3
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
yeah, that's totally come out and play. haha

SMASHedTHEignition
07-26-2009, 11:40 PM
holy shit, exact same

Oxygene
07-27-2009, 01:07 AM
atleast they know where to steal from :)

randman21
07-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Ooooh yes, they are :D

Here, the UMP (political party of our beloved president, Sarko 1er) used Kids by MGMT in a promotional video and in meetings... without authorization... (and just when they were campaining for a law against copyright infringement... it was actually hilarious)...

Law practice, especially for commercials made for dumb companies: "let's use that music without authorization, they might not give it to us and it's only a 2 weeks campain, nobody will notice... and if they notice, well, then we will sign an agreement to avoid court..."

That said, I have no idea what is the situation here...
Ahhhh, perhaps I have too much faith in people then, although I meant covering the song without thinking that they need permission, as opposed to what Sarko did. Come to think of it, didn't Ron Reagan do that with a Bruce Springsteen song? Bah conservatives, amirite?

november 2008 was not that long ago

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35367
Hmm, it's been longer than I thought. But the guideline is six months, so I think the thread starter is okay.

SelfEsteem94
07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
hmm,
i havent seen this.
its obviously a COAP rip-off.