PDA

View Full Version : Why the White Jesus?

Panzerfaust92
01-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I know, religion has no place in politics, but I didn't know where else to put this topic. Why is it, that Jesus is portrayed in so many films and bible stories as a white man? I think it's rather obvious that he was not white. He lived in what is now Israel, which in historical times was primarily, if not completely populated by arabic people. The closest white people at that time were the Romans. In The Passion, Jesus was white, in the pictures of in my Bible, he's white. Why is this?

Mota Boy
01-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Because he was depicted by white Europeans who either didn't know any better or didn't feel like worshipping a brown god. After a while, this became the traditional way to portray him, helped along by further centuries of racism.

Vera
01-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Because arabs are terrorists.

[/idiot impersonation]

The Talking Pie
01-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Jesus is in the eye of the beholder.

wheelchairman
01-22-2005, 09:31 AM
So I'm guessing you just saw the Malcolm X film?

Vera
01-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Jesus is in the eye of the beholder.
Just recognized the person in your avatar. >_<

Panzerfaust92
01-22-2005, 09:34 AM
So I'm guessing you just saw the Malcolm X film?
No I haven't seen that one yet, but I think I'll rent it in a couple weeks when I'm back in Iowa. This white Jesus thing has just been bothering me for a while.

Mr.Fletcher
01-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I always thought Jesus was a Jew. And Jews have a white skin coulour.

leo3375
01-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Mota Boy is right, but to further elaborate:

Most Europeans were illiterate after the Fall of Rome. Because books were extremely expensive, only the wealthy could afford to learn to read and own them. Churches were decorated with murals, mosaics, frescoes, and stained-glass windows depicting biblical scenes as a way to teach Christianity to the masses. Jesus was depicted as the Europeans looked: fair-skinned with dark hair. Early depictions were of a Jesus with short, dark hair and a baby-smooth face. The Byzantine Empire had the more well-known image of a bearded Jesus. As the decades passed, visual interpretations of Jesus would change with the times, and it was not uncommon for artists to place biblical events as happening in their own time.

The image of Jesus that we know best stems from the Renaissance. This was a period of new scientific growth and exploration as well as a time when people once again took interest in the stories of Rome and Greece. Jesus was outfitted with long, brown hair, a beard, and a white tunic with a red toga, harkening back to the Roman Empire. It's interesting how this image has lasted about 500 years.

When an artist reinvented Jesus for the 21st century as a clean-shaven black man, people were up in arms! Why? Because it wasn't close enough to the image people have of Jesus. Every culture that adopts Christianity will recreate Jesus in their likeness. The European Jesus is simply the best-known interpretation.

Vera
01-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Well, a black Jesus isn't really much better than a caucasian Jesus.

The Talking Pie
01-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Just recognized the person in your avatar. >_<
He's so hot *rocks out* \m/

RXP
01-22-2005, 11:09 AM
wtf Jesus dad was god he could be any colour. We don't know gods colour lol

Vera
01-22-2005, 11:17 AM
But Maria had colour, bitch.

wheelchairman
01-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Seen from a strictly atheist point of view, it is likely Jesus was the son of Dinarch Antipater and Miryam (Mary), he would've been of Jewish descent. And Jews of this region and time were as dark-skinned as any cana'ite. (There was no real Arab population at this time. To whoever made that comment.)

Vera
01-22-2005, 11:20 AM
I did and I definitely wasn't being serious.

Panzerfaust92
01-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Actually I think did, but I don't quite know my way around with world history.

ReaganRevolution
01-22-2005, 12:38 PM
http://lcob.net/Prophets/Yashua.gif

RXP
01-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Have you guys not seen a mixed race kid who has a black dad and white mum look all white? fuckin God must have been white n shit.

Moose
01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I know, religion has no place in politics, but I didn't know where else to put this topic. Why is it, that Jesus is portrayed in so many films and bible stories as a white man? I think it's rather obvious that he was not white. He lived in what is now Israel, which in historical times was primarily, if not completely populated by arabic people. The closest white people at that time were the Romans. In The Passion, Jesus was white, in the pictures of in my Bible, he's white. Why is this?

because he was white.

Vera
01-22-2005, 03:15 PM
*bangs head against desk*

ReaganRevolution
01-22-2005, 03:16 PM
everybody knows the man was original

Vera
01-22-2005, 03:23 PM
You know what's great about dead presidents? They have finally shut the fuck up.

Mota Boy
01-22-2005, 03:27 PM
*bangs Moose's head against desk*

Moose
01-22-2005, 05:10 PM
i suppose dry sense of humor is dead.

wheelchairman
01-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I think it's more that people expect you to say stupid things like that.

Moose
01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
i guess, sorry im not a communist, or an athiest, or a hardcore liberal...i guess i have to try harder.

i basically made a lame ass joke, surprised it was taken so far. but then again, he was white.

Mota Boy
01-22-2005, 10:52 PM
i suppose dry sense of humor is dead.
No, just hard to distinguish from real peoples' moronic opinions in an environment devoid of vocal inflection. The trick is, if people do take you seriously, to go even further with it. Either you'll string them along, to the amusement of spectators (and then later have them realize that they've been had) or they'll get the joke. This is assuming, of course, that you can pull off subtle humor well.

Moose
01-22-2005, 11:03 PM
good point.

Das Werewolf
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Black, white or orange. Who cares! The scarey part is he was a guy in dress who thought water was wine and whats more he made the twelve idiots he hung out with think it was wine too! ;)

Moose
01-24-2005, 01:16 PM
is this what you meant by stupid comments? ^

Lithuanian Offspring
01-25-2005, 01:38 AM
He was of Jewish descent and therefore he wasn't as dark skinned as a Arabs. But during the middle ages the Europeans portrayed him as a European man simply because they didn't know any better, just like when they drew pictures of Moses crossing the Red sea with Egyptians dressed in full European Knight's battle armor.