PDA

View Full Version : the history behind GONE AWAY?...

goin2town
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
i just saw the offspring....(love u guys! u rock!!)....at roseland nyc in july and dexter came out with this little piano and performed GONE AWAY ...just him and the little piano....it was really touching....and being an offspring fan since like 1992 i was ashamed that i never noticed what these lyrics were really about until i heard it done this way....now every time i hear the song on my cd i am touched by the words, ....i am curious, does anyone out there know who this song may be written about or the history behind it?

thanks bunches :)

Little_Miss_1565
07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
(bear with me): When I was in high school, several of my friends were caught in a rip current in Lake Michigan, and one was drowned. His memorial video soundtrack was "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins, because they were his favorite band. So now "1979," for me, is about a summer day at the beach gone horribly wrong.

The songs are about whatever you bring to them. "Gone Away" is a song that means a lot of things to a lot of people, and what it means to you doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what it means to Dexter. Nah mean?

holland25
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Don't discuss that.

RageAndLov
07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Aw, come on... Can't we discuss rumors?

Rag Doll
07-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Please do not discuss the rumors. This is something Dexter does not discuss and neither do we.

If you want, feel free to discuss what the song means to you and how it makes you feel.

RageAndLov
07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Actually, everytime I hear this song it reminds me of the thing we are not allowed to discuss and how the songwriter felt about it. How sad he was, you know.

randman21
07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Sorry to keep it going, but the thing you think about isn't true, so now you can sleep easier. You're welcome.

Outerspaceman21
07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm with Little miss. Whenever I listen to Gone Away, I think of my sister and thats why that song has meaning to me. It's whatever meaning you want it to have.

RageAndLov
07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Sorry to keep it going, but the thing you think about isn't true, so now you can sleep easier. You're welcome.

How do you know?

randman21
07-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I'll PM you.

dexter12296566
07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
gone away is the most touching song cuz 2 years ago i lost my 2 best friends in a car accident and that song is what got me through it

Little_Miss_1565
07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Aw, come on... Can't we discuss rumors?

Please do not discuss the rumors. This is something Dexter does not discuss and neither do we.

If you want, feel free to discuss what the song means to you and how it makes you feel.

I <3 Sam!!

RageAndLov, the rumors and innuendo etc. are totally irrelevant. Why so many people seem to need the song to be about a particular thing that didn't even happen is something I will never understand. I get that Dexter is cute and blond and it's romantic to paint him as some kind of tragic figure, but he's a real boy (just like Pinocchio!) and there's no need.

dexter12296566
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I <3 Sam!!

RageAndLov, the rumors and innuendo etc. are totally irrelevant. Why so many people seem to need the song to be about a particular thing that didn't even happen is something I will never understand. I get that Dexter is cute and blond and it's romantic to paint him as some kind of tragic figure, but he's a real boy (just like Pinocchio!) and there's no need.

thats true besides we dont even know for sure if its true cuz dex doesnt talk about it and if it is have some respect for dexter and shut your fucking mouth

RageAndLov
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
thats true besides we dont even know for sure if its true cuz dex doesnt talk about it and if it is have some respect for dexter and shut your fucking mouth

When did I disrespect him?

dexter12296566
07-28-2009, 09:46 AM
When did I disrespect him?

just talking about shitty rumors and i was talking to anyone
DONT DISRESPECT DEXY
it says in the rules and guideline not to talk about the personal lives of the band members

RageAndLov
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
it says in the rules and guideline not to talk about the personal lives of the band members

And it is solely because of this that untrue rumors start buzzing.

holland25
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.operationburnout.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif

ninthz
07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
It's about his childhood sled.

IamSam
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
It's about his childhood sled.

That bitch came to a tragic end.

Tijs
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
RageAndLov, the rumors and innuendo etc. are totally irrelevant. Why so many people seem to need the song to be about a particular thing that didn't even happen is something I will never understand. I get that Dexter is cute and blond and it's romantic to paint him as some kind of tragic figure, but he's a real boy (just like Pinocchio!) and there's no need.That's sums up about all my thoughts about this song.

Even though I've never lost someone so close to me that I can relate to this song to it's full extend, it's still one of the few songs that can hit me emotionally and at the same time makes me happy that I can't relate to it like some of you can.

Rutegard
07-28-2009, 10:13 AM
ppl still talking bout the feelings in gone away, and wut about jennifer lost the war? DUDE its all about kids! everyone loves kids right?

anyway, this is really really old!

knowing y dex wrote that song would make u like more or less of gone away?? if it would, then u just cant feel the music, if it wouldnt, then it doesnt really matter.
damn, some ppl r just complicated huh?

Little_Miss_1565
07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
knowing y dex wrote that song would make u like more or less of gone away?? if it would, then u just cant feel the music, if it wouldnt, then it doesnt really matter.

Quoted for truth.

nightvision
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
gone away is the most touching song cuz 2 years ago i lost my 2 best friends in a car accident and that song is what got me through it

I can relate to that. I lost my best friend in a car accident 5 years ago (exactly 5 years ago today actually, weird...) and I listened to Gone Away a lot back then and I still think of him whenever I hear that song nowadays.

Twisted Mind
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
........................... Ahem......

Shhhhhh!!!! Noisy people.

dexter12296566
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I can relate to that. I lost my best friend in a car accident 5 years ago (exactly 5 years ago today actually, weird...) and I listened to Gone Away a lot back then and I still think of him whenever I hear that song nowadays.

yeah it sucks doesnt it

_Lost_
07-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Its always bugged me when people try to figure out what an artist "meant" by their piece of work looooong before joining these boards. Always speculating on shit they know diddly squat about. If someone does a painting of a dark, tragic scene, it DOES NOT necessarily mean that the artist is depressed and suffering emotionally. I know that when I write, compose (ooh snob alert!), paint or draw, very few things are intended to convey something deeply tied into what I'm experiencing emotionally. Usually I try to make something that everyone can find their own meaning in, which Dexter said he did over and over in interview about the new album. What makes you think Gone Away was any different?

On the rare occasion that I do something tied to something emotional for me, people NEVER interpret what I'm saying in the way that I feel I "said" it. Things can be metaphorical, they can be literal, they could only share a piece of the story etc.

Gone Away could be about anything to anybody. For all we know, Dexter could have been writing about his first ever game system finally giving out on him (oh you know that gamers get depressed when a system they love breaks or wears out to the point of nonfunctionality) or his dog could have died or he could have dropped his cone of his favorite ever ice cream that he hardly gets because you can only get it in sweden and how often can you fly to sweden to buy ice cream?

Or it could just be something he knew everyone could relate to on some level, because we've all lost something we loved (whether spouse or ice cream cone).

You all have all this wild theory that has absolutely no basis in fact! Jesus christ!

"OMG HE'S NOT TOGETHER WITH HIS DAUGHTER'S MOTHER ANYMORE! AHH!"
"HE WROTE A SAD SONG ABOUT LOSS! SHE MUST HAVE DIED!"
"THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE'S WRITING ABOUT! ZOMG!"

I know what Gone Away means to me. That's all I give a damn about.

Ka1n
07-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Leaving flowers on your grave
Show that I still care

Do people in the USA inter their game systems?

It's obviously about a death of a close person. It's written in the way everybody can relate.

SMASHedTHEignition
07-29-2009, 02:21 AM
mm..they sed that they recieve mail alot about how this song has helped tons o people on The Complete Music Video Collection, but yeh Gone Aways A Great Song..

RageAndLov
07-29-2009, 06:44 AM
You all have all this wild theory that has absolutely no basis in fact! Jesus christ!

"OMG HE'S NOT TOGETHER WITH HIS DAUGHTER'S MOTHER ANYMORE! AHH!"
"HE WROTE A SAD SONG ABOUT LOSS! SHE MUST HAVE DIED!"
"THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE'S WRITING ABOUT! ZOMG!"

I know what Gone Away means to me. That's all I give a damn about.

But when death to a certain person is being presented as truth and someone tries to tell the real truth, but get silented, what do you expect?

Show that I still care

It's obviously about a death of a close person. It's written in the way everybody can relate.

+1

KyleW
07-29-2009, 07:07 AM
No two people will take the same meaning from this song or, in fact, any song unless the artist discloses what they were thinking when they wrote it. Its clear that Gone Away is a great song that means a lot to a lot of people but I think a part of that is to do with the mystery of the song. If we knew what Dexter was thinking when he wrote it, it would spoil the song to some degree because I would think that the interpretation I get from the somg is wrong.

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
But when death to a certain person is being presented as truth and someone tries to tell the real truth, but get silented, what do you expect?

Yes, I get it. Some of y'all feel strongly that you have a right to a piece of the band's personal lives. But not here.

RageAndLov
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm just saying that there is a good reason people believe the rumor.

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm just saying that there is a good reason people believe the rumor.

Yes, I am fully aware of some people's need to invent parts of Dexter in their absence. Taking our PM conversation public isn't going to do anything to change things. Not going to allow an invasion of Dexter's privacy to supposedly prevent future invasions of privacy.

goin2town
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
i just actually wanted to know a fact....you know some people actually write a song about a real experience in their lives type thing.

Little_Miss_1565
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
i just actually wanted to know a fact....you know some people actually write a song about a real experience in their lives type thing.

This gets brought up a lot, as you can probably tell from the conversation in this thread, and the short answer is they haven't discussed anything specific in any interview except that it's generally about loss.

Outerspaceman21
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM

To answer your question, there are a lot of rumors as to what it is about and the band has NEVER explained it's origins. It's also against the rules to discuss the bands personal lives.

jacknife737
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Dexter wrote Special Delivery about stalking and possibly wanting to kill someone in the first person; that doesn't mean he really did/wants to do that.

dexter12296566
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Dexter wrote Special Delivery about stalking and possibly wanting to kill someone in the first person; that doesn't mean he really did/wants to do that.

he said himself that just because they write a song it doesnt mean it is autobiographical and thats usually not the case(of course in this instance he was referring to questions he was asked about whether self-esteem was true)

jacknife737
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
he said himself that just because they write a song it doesnt mean it is autobiographical and thats usually not the case(of course in this instance he was referring to questions he was asked about whether self-esteem was true)

Exactly.

So people shouldn't jump to conclusions about the story/meaning of certain songs.

Free?
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
This thread lives for ways too long.
Stop posting here and maybe you can find out how it feeeeeeeeeels liike, when it's gone away.

dff_punk
07-29-2009, 03:07 PM
This thread lives for ways too long.
Stop posting here and maybe you can find out how it feeeeeeeeeels liike, when it's gone away.

I think the case of "who thinks dexter is cute" is even more extreme in comparison length/worthyness.

Dexter_italy
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Gone away it's about the lost of virginity!

_Lost_
07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Show that I still care

*face palm*

*face palm*

*face palm*

*head desk*

Did you really take me seriously on that one? I'm trying to point out the absurdity of the train of thought some of you people have. Seriously! Its abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous for so many people to assume that this song is about the death of Dexter Holland's former girlfriend/wife/mother of his child/whatever. You don't have a freaking clue who that woman actually is so where has this idea come from? Somebody talks about loss and you automatically assume that that person is talking about the "love of their life"? What about all the people who have written songs about loss because someone they know died in Iraq? Do you think that everyone of those songs references the war? No, many will, but not all. So you have this influx of songs about loss without knowing their meaning to the writer without their explaination. He could have lost a family member or friend in Desert Storm. What if thats what this song is about?

and besides,

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A FUCKING METAPHOR!?!??! I've got a poem that talks about a friend commiting suicide that I've performed hundreds of times to all kinds of audiences. Do you know what it is really fucking about? GUESS!

I Couldn't Save You

Trapped in you despair
depressed and overwhelmed
seeking the easy way out
never screaming out
never knowing i was there
waiting all put out
trying to help
waiting for your shout

then you locked the doors
and closed the shades
within the darkness a razorblade
never seeking another way
there was no turning back this day

i tried but i failed
in an instant death prevailed

I just couldn't save you

You wouldn't let me

The person who accurately assesses what that poem is about gets a fucking cookie OR a monkey depending on the quality of your explaination.

EDIT: If you want the HISTORY of Gone Away, look at the wikipedia page. It gives some facts and politely leaves out all the speculation bullshit you all can't seem to get enough of.

SMASHedTHEignition
07-30-2009, 03:57 AM
wel id say that th poems probli bout being an outcast maybe??

I dont me bout gone away either, im mean losts' poem..

dff_punk
07-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Lol, HAU got pwned by Karin.

SMASHedTHEignition
07-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Lol, HAU got pwned by Karin.

who got owned by karin??:D

RageAndLov
07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, I am fully aware of some people's need to invent parts of Dexter in their absence. Taking our PM conversation public isn't going to do anything to change things. Not going to allow an invasion of Dexter's privacy to supposedly prevent future invasions of privacy.

I didn't take it public. I just said what I've said to a numerous people, including you.

dexter12296566
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
*face palm*

*face palm*

*face palm*

*head desk*

Did you really take me seriously on that one? I'm trying to point out the absurdity of the train of thought some of you people have. Seriously! Its abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous for so many people to assume that this song is about the death of Dexter Holland's former girlfriend/wife/mother of his child/whatever. You don't have a freaking clue who that woman actually is so where has this idea come from? Somebody talks about loss and you automatically assume that that person is talking about the "love of their life"? What about all the people who have written songs about loss because someone they know died in Iraq? Do you think that everyone of those songs references the war? No, many will, but not all. So you have this influx of songs about loss without knowing their meaning to the writer without their explaination. He could have lost a family member or friend in Desert Storm. What if thats what this song is about?

and besides,

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A FUCKING METAPHOR!?!??! I've got a poem that talks about a friend commiting suicide that I've performed hundreds of times to all kinds of audiences. Do you know what it is really fucking about? GUESS!

I Couldn't Save You

Trapped in you despair
depressed and overwhelmed
seeking the easy way out
never screaming out
never knowing i was there
waiting all put out
trying to help
waiting for your shout

then you locked the doors
and closed the shades
within the darkness a razorblade
never seeking another way
there was no turning back this day

i tried but i failed
in an instant death prevailed

I just couldn't save you

You wouldn't let me

The person who accurately assesses what that poem is about gets a fucking cookie OR a monkey depending on the quality of your explaination.

EDIT: If you want the HISTORY of Gone Away, look at the wikipedia page. It gives some facts and politely leaves out all the speculation bullshit you all can't seem to get enough of.

i still dont know what head desk or face palm means and dont fucking talk about those rumors. once again, show dexy some respect and shut your fucking mouth

The Piano
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Gone Away is the most heart-felt-touching-emotional sad & depressing song from em. God bless the offspring. i know how it feels to lose something you dearly love and hold on too. *tearyeyed* :(:(:(:( the piano version does it for me cause i'll sheed some real tears.

dexter12296566
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the case of "who thinks dexter is cute" is even more extreme in comparison length/worthyness.

i started a thread bout that but what do mean with ur comment cuz if i am right ur fucked up

dexter12296566
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Gone Away is the most heart-felt-touching-emotional sad & depressing song from em. God bless the offspring. i know how it feels to lose something you dearly love and hold on too. *tearyeyed* :(:(:(:( the piano version does it for me cause i'll sheed some real tears.

i cry everytime i hear the song but i listen to it all the time

RageAndLov
07-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I want a studio version of Gone Away with piano.

Rutegard
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM

we all want :D we all want!

The Piano
07-30-2009, 01:01 PM
i cry everytime i hear the song but i listen to it all the time

unfortunately.

especially, the music video of Gone Away is really dark and very powerful.

_Lost_
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
No, my poem is not about being an outcast. Its about a friend of mine and a specific series of events when we were 16.

i still dont know what head desk or face palm means and dont fucking talk about those rumors. once again, show dexy some respect and shut your fucking mouth

ooh the 14 year old obsessive trying to talk to me about respect? You believing these rumors and discussing these rumors and spreading these rumors is respect?

Rumors are just that, RUMORS. In the 12 years that this song has been out and that these rumors have been around, Dexter has been very good at not hinting anything about his personal meaning in the song. There is absolutely no reason to believe these RUMORS. Fucking RUMORS. He's handled it better than most people would and I fucking commend him for it.

Don't send me PMs if you are just going to say the same thing in the thread of discussion.

Rumors.

*ignored*

who got owned by karin??:D

An old user who got banned several months ago. I'm still amazed at the number of usernames he's managed to come up with.

renato piquette
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM

you mean a studio version with marķa cortez? :p

dexter12296566
07-30-2009, 06:12 PM
i wrote a song for my two bff's after they died in a car accident(my signature) and this song also helped me through and i listen to it alot lately cuz i have been missing them even more now

IamSam
07-30-2009, 11:40 PM
One could argue that Green Day's Longview is about suicide.

Outerspaceman21
07-31-2009, 12:50 AM
One could argue that Green Day's Longview is about suicide.

Bordem is deadly. I've often contemplated suicide when the cables out.

SMASHedTHEignition
07-31-2009, 01:13 AM
No, my poem is not about being an outcast. Its about a friend of mine and a specific series of events when we were 16.

ooh the 14 year old obsessive trying to talk to me about respect? You believing these rumors and discussing these rumors and spreading these rumors is respect?

Rumors are just that, RUMORS. In the 12 years that this song has been out and that these rumors have been around, Dexter has been very good at not hinting anything about his personal meaning in the song. There is absolutely no reason to believe these RUMORS. Fucking RUMORS. He's handled it better than most people would and I fucking commend him for it.

Don't send me PMs if you are just going to say the same thing in the thread of discussion.

Rumors.

*ignored*

An old user who got banned several months ago. I'm still amazed at the number of usernames he's managed to come up with.

ohk..yeh i want gone away on piana as do wel all

The Piano
07-31-2009, 06:45 AM
you mean a studio version with marķa cortez? :p

awww...how about a decent duet piano version of gone away, eh? cheers! :);):D

The_BlackSwordsman
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry if I'm posting in this thread I don't mean to disrespect anyone. I'd just like to point out that some people here should try to be a little less rough with others. The guy just asked a question and people jumped on his/her throat. You could have responded in a more civilized manner.

I've never heard any rumours, but If it can't be discussed, that's fine, but you can give a nice short answer saying "it's just rumours, we don't discuss them", not attacking him/her as if he/her tried to offend Dexter, I'm sure that's not the intention, specially if he/her never heard Dexter's previous answers to the question - like me.

I'm sure he/her meant no disrespect. You don't need to act like that.

Peace.

randman21
07-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Nobody jumped on his throat. Those first hostile-ish posts were in response to a post that is no longer there. Had it been as it appears, I'd be with you. Also, are you like me in the sense that I never even thought about who the song was about? Never even crossed my mind until I signed up here. To me, it was always just a very well-written song about losing a loved one.

The_BlackSwordsman
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Nobody jumped on his throat. Those first hostile-ish posts were in response to a post that is no longer there.

I see. Let's leave it in the past then.

I gotta say I've wondered if it's anything personal, I wonder that about almost every song, but I don't really care. I won't loose any sleep over it, it won't change the song anyway. It's just curiosity. Some artists are more open, some like to be more private, it's up to them. Dexter is the later kind, I'll take that.

_Lost_
07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
First, I'd like to comment on something RageAndLov said near the beginning of this thread.

it is solely because of this that untrue rumors start buzzing.

Clearly not true, since these rumors have been buzzing since before these rules were in place. They continue to buzz because people can't accept the fact that all Dexter wants you to know about this song is that it "is about loss", which he has said more than once.

I'd just like to point out that some people here should try to be a little less rough with others. The guy just asked a question and people jumped on his/her throat. You could have responded in a more civilized manner.

Was this directed at me?

To be honest, this is one of the more politely handled threads on this topic that I've seen. The problem gets to be when one person, undoubtably aware of how much people consider delving into Dexter's personal and possibly painful background to be in poor taste, continues to push the issue of "fan's rights" and all that mess. The responses to the thread starter were very polite in the way they informed that this is not something discussed on this forum.

Also, are you like me in the sense that I never even thought about who the song was about? Never even crossed my mind until I signed up here. To me, it was always just a very well-written song about losing a loved one.

I still don't wonder who that song (or End of the Line) is about. I don't think about those sort of things.

Randy, I just wanna know what your PM to RaL said.

RageAndLov
08-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Randy, I just wanna know what your PM to RaL said.

The truth. ...

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 06:39 AM
lol yeah i know what it said now. i had forgotten about that. You see my point now?

ThunderPX
08-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Why is this thread still going?

TheOffspring_4EVER asks: When you wrote Gone Away, did someone close to you actually die?
Y_dexter_offspring: That song is about something real, but it's pretty personal, so I don't talk about it.

And that's all there is to it.

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2009, 08:00 AM

Because despite it being asked and answered, people seem to keep missing it every time so if people just keep repeating what you've posted over and over again, maybe eventually someone will see it and let it go. :)

Rutegard
08-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Because despite it being asked and answered, people seem to keep missing it every time so if people just keep repeating what you've posted over and over again, maybe eventually someone will see it and let it go. :)

that will never happen!

unfortunately :(

The Piano
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM

TheOffspring_4EVER asks: When you wrote Gone Away, did someone close to you actually die?
Y_dexter_offspring: That song is about something real, but it's pretty personal, so I don't talk about it.

And that's all there is to it.

This.

Just feel free to close this thread. If I were you, I would! :o

that will never happen!

unfortunately :(

I know right. erugh...:mad:

The_BlackSwordsman
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM

See, I've never seen that quote. That answers it. That's it. It should be the first thing posted when someone asks about it. Ok, subject closed.

randman21
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
See, I've never seen that quote. That answers it. That's it. It should be the first thing posted when someone asks about it. Ok, subject closed.

I agree. This is the first time I've ever seen that it's something personal that he doesn't want to discuss. I myself don't care, but for those who do, this makes it a non-issue.

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
But that sort of quote is only going to add to the speculation of what really happened to inspire the song. These people for some reason feel that they are entitled to this information and can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that its NUNYA.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2009, 08:00 AM

I've noticed multiple threads where you've come in, made a comment that sounds like you aren't reading the whole thread or don't know much about the situation, and then say something like this that declares the subject over. What's with that?

People have been going in the same circles about this song for the last 12 years. It's impossible to tell now who's just being nosy and who genuinely doesn't know.

TheOldMark
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
There's pretty much only one "rumor" that has been circulating since its release. I thought we weren't allowed to discuss this one?

Aria
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I used to crack my head listening to songs like Gone Away, Dirty Magic, Fix You and Denial Revisited. I just really, really want to know who the songs were for..
But Dex doesn't like discussing personal info (can you blame him?) and we should respect that.
Even if he himself would tell me the real reasons behind the songs, I don't think I'd like what I'd hear... cause I want him all for myself and I don't ever want him to feel sad or to even think sad thoughts~! :(
Lol..!!

_Lost_
08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
There's pretty much only one "rumor" that has been circulating since its release. I thought we weren't allowed to discuss this one?

Apparently some members can't get over that.

And for anyone who is all "What are these rumors??" blah blah blah. I believe I mentioned them in an stfu way more than once in this thread. They aren't true and if you want proof, PM me.

SeeYouAgain
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Gone Away is about (Lost), in general. Come on, it is so obvious, am I right or wrong? Duh! =| Dexter Holland, I love you for it. =)

Outerspaceman21
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Gone Away is about _Lost_?

SeeYouAgain
08-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Gone Away is about _Lost_?

Hey, there!

No, I wasn't refferring to the username of: _Lost_ (sorry, about that.) ---- actually all I was trying to say about Gone Away is obviously; losing a dearly loved one and it happens to all of us. So, therefore, I rest my case because I don't Know, their is something about Dexter Holland not saying much about it.

Of course, respecting him will do and I thanked him for it. I love you men. =)

p.s. I want it played at my funeral. =(

Sincerely,
See You Again.

Harleyquiiinn
08-08-2009, 05:19 AM

I so don't agree with that. the "Who thinks Dexter is cute" thread was great, interesting to understand who could be a stalker or not and also, very funny :D

Ah for once, I'm gonna go with the majority... it's kinda morbid to want to know what it is about when the person who wrote it apparently said he didn't want to talk about it.

That said, I don't agree with -Lost- about what she said about song meanings and what is important is what it means to you. I guess it's true for Gone Away though. The song is not exactly mysterious.

(by the way, your joke abut game system really made me laugh. I know exactly what to do next time my boyfriend's computer crashes now :D )

But (warning: I'm going to talk about the eels again) when E. wrote his biography where he explained some songs he wrote, namely on the death of his family, it was interesting to understand some of the lyrics that were mysterious to me and I was glad to know the explanation. I don't like these songs more or less (this is impossible anyway) but now I have a better understanding of the lyrics... and it helps me relate if I need to.

The main difference is that he chose to explain it and talked about what the album was about when Dexter Holland chose not to. In that case, private life is more important than curiosity.

RageAndLov
08-08-2009, 05:54 AM
No, Gone Away is about Lost
http://www.theincomparable.com/lost-logo.jpg

SeeYouAgain
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't know what to actually respond to that LOST image? Yikes! *shysaway* literally. :eek: :( :( :mad:

chicapowerpunk
08-08-2009, 03:43 PM
This song is something sad,i love this song,when Dexter play it little piano,it feels real,you connecting with song-------;)
I think that it what happend,the history from this song,really hurt it...:(

_Lost_
08-20-2009, 02:44 AM
No, I wasn't refferring to the username of: _Lost_

... I always thought of myself as more than just a username...