PDA

View Full Version : Epic Mickey

Superdope
07-29-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/spector-making-epic-mickey-for-wii

Apparently Warren Spector (the guy behind Deus Ex) is making a Disney game, codenamed Epic Mickey, with a steam punk twist. take a gander at some of the concept art

http://wii.ign.com/articles/100/1008697p1.html

Every other game throughout history will be annulled when/if this comes out. I still can't believe that Disney would ok a project like this.

Thoughts?

Numaro
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
It's on the Wii, so I can't help but assume "bad game." Hopefully it will be one of the few Wii games that's not plagued by being terrible, because it sounds like a pretty cool concept.

randman21
07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
If this game sees the light of day, it will make the Wii the first console of its generation worthy of my highly thrifty dollar.

Free?
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like it's going to blow many kids' minds.
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/100/1008687/warren-spector-disney-game-art-aired-20090729043607615.jpg
Also, I'm sure that a tattoo-artist I know will be interested in such thing.

Superdope
07-29-2009, 10:34 AM
A whole gallery worth of concept art:

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=12496&game_id=7801#img138492

If you couldn't tell, I'm very intrigued by it, and it's a definite must buy for me, if it doesn't change the concept too much before an eventual launch.

nieh
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I bet you all the creepy aspects of it are there as a joke and that the guy is actually working on a legitimately bright and sunny Disney game.

Omni
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks very surreal. I just hope the name "Epic Mickey" is only a working title.

Lizardus
07-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks like the bastard child of American Mc Gee and HR Giger found a copy of Kingdom Hearts and fucked it, like a horse.

I like it.

Thomas
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope this concept goes through. It looks risky, but if they just sit down, take their time, and do it RIGHT, this could potentially be one of the best games in years.

Offspring-Junkie
08-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Just boring...

Superdope
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Just boring...

Thank God! You are right on time! This place was getting a little too optimistic...

Lizardus
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Just boring...

Your mom is boring.

Numaro
08-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Your mom is boring.

Your dad isn't! Hohoho!

Lizardus
08-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Your dad isn't! Hohoho!

Touche............

Offspring-Junkie
08-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Your mom is boring.

How do you know, did I tell you?

Superdope
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/game-informer-s-epic-mickey-cover-really-is-epic--150997.phtml

Apparently it's going to be released fall 2010. Check this site:

http://gameinformer.com/mag/mickey.aspx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/iceatcs/EpicMickeyCleanCover.jpg

jacknife737
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Goddamn this looks cool.

I'll have to force one of my friends who owns a wii to get this.

Cubic
10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
A shame I donít own the dreadful console. It looks good.

T-6005
10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Hopefully, unlike Deus Ex, this game isn't hampered by a great concept coupled with an execution that just falls short.

BKDH_1984
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I used to like Mickey Mouse.

Llamas
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I honestly don't understand why people are so amazed by this? Best game ever created? Why? Because it's the opposite of what Disney has always been? Seems like a pretty shallow concept to me.

And I'm not trying to bash it... but can someone explain?

T-6005
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I honestly don't understand why people are so amazed by this? Best game ever created? Why? Because it's the opposite of what Disney has always been? Seems like a pretty shallow concept to me.

And I'm not trying to bash it... but can someone explain?

Because Warren Spector is making it - the guy's got a cult following of his own because of some of the games he's put out and worked on, including System Shock, Deus Ex, and two of the installments in the Thief series (personally the only one I think worth mentioning). Each of these has a substantial cult following, especially Deus Ex.

He really likes using odd technological setups, like steampunk or the world of the Deus Ex and System Shock series.

Though the second Deus Ex sucked and he was behind that as well.

The Wii game is said to be a Mickey Mouse platformer that involves the painting and erasing of levels and a struggle by Disney's lower caste of characters to dethrone the mouse.

Are we to assume Mickey's going to put the smack down on the class struggle?

Superdope
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh, this is good stuff. There's a character called Oswald the Rabbit that was Walt Disney's biggest hit before Mickey Mouse.

In spring 1928, with the series going strong, Disney asked Mintz for an increase in the budget. But Mintz instead demanded that Walt take a 20 percent budget cut, and as leverage, he reminded Disney that Mintz owned the character, and revealed that he had already signed most of Disney’s current employees to his new contract: Iwerks and Les Clark were among the few who remained loyal to Walt. Disney refused Mintz’s demand, disassociating himself from Oswald after the series first season. While finishing the remaining Oswald cartoons, Disney, Iwerks and Clark created the cartoon hero who would become The Walt Disney Company’s lasting symbol: Mickey Mouse, the most famous of Walt Disney’s characters. Oswald was replaced by Mickey Mouse in the Spring of 1928

The story behind Epic Mickey is that rejected and forgotten characters are abandoned in a different, broken-down world. Oswald was infuriated when he was replaced by Mickey and has been planning his revenge ever since.

It's going to be pretty cool to see what kind of stuff they will be pulling out from the vault.

Llamas
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Because Warren Spector is making it - the guy's got a cult following of his own because of some of the games he's put out and worked on, including System Shock, Deus Ex, and two of the installments in the Thief series (personally the only one I think worth mentioning). Each of these has a substantial cult following, especially Deus Ex.

He really likes using odd technological setups, like steampunk or the world of the Deus Ex and System Shock series.

Though the second Deus Ex sucked and he was behind that as well.

Ah, so it sounds like you have to be way into video games to be stoked for this. Makes sense, and thanks for the explanation.

Jesus
10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
That's the case with most things! Let us nerds have our moment =p. I so hope the release date on this one is gonna be good too and not around Super Mario Galaxy 2 or the next Zelda, cause the wii needs more great third party games that sell well.

Llamas
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
That's the case with most things! Let us nerds have our moment =p. I so hope the release date on this one is gonna be good too and not around Super Mario Galaxy 2 or the next Zelda, cause the wii needs more great third party games that sell well.

haha I didn't mean it in an insulting way, and you're right - for instance, in order for someone to care about a tv show because it's being created by a particular person, you have to be pretty nerdy about tv... nerdy is good! I'm just not a video game nerd, so I didn't get what was so exciting about this game. I like video games, but on a pretty surfacey level.