PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs

Llamas
08-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I moved out of my apt and into the guest bedroom of a house nearby. The first night I slept here, I woke up in the middle of the night and my right arm was kind of burning, and then itching. I fell back asleep, and the morning I found roughly 7 small red bumps that itched a lot. Four of the seven bumps are within an inch apart from each other, and the other three are farther down my arm.

The second night, I woke up to a few more, and then wore the same clothes I slept in and got similar bites on my stomach and back. I have about 17 bites now. They are all quite small and pink/red... they resemble spider or mosquito bites.

Tonight I washed the bed sheets and then looked closely at the mattress. I saw what looked like quite small reddish/brown ants. I googled bedbugs, and these don't have the rounded body... they're longer/narrower and definitely seem more ant-shaped. There are also only like 30 or so over the entire outside of the mattress, and it seems that bedbugs are usually all the fuck over. Plus the bites are mostly spread out, while bedbug bites are usually clumped... and they don't seem as bad as those from bedbugs.

So my next thought was fire ants... but I can't find any record of fire ants existing in Minnesota. And fire ants don't have a history of living in beds.

Sooooo has anyone ever had something like this happen? Anyone know about bedbugs or fire ants who could tell me if it seems like it could be one of those? I'm grossed out and can't sleep because of this.

tl;dr there are insects biting me in the bed I've been sleeping in and I can't tell if they're bedbugs, fire ants, or some other crazy bug. It sucks ass and it's super gross. :( Someone help??

Human
08-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I've had the same thing before. Sometimes they just disappear after awhile, but to get rid of them you can vacuum your mattress and/or put a protective plastic covering over it. They hide in crevices so check the mattress for any of that...Bug spray doesn't really work.

Llamas
08-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I've had the same thing before. Sometimes they just disappear after awhile, but to get rid of them you can vacuum your mattress and/or put a protective plastic covering over it. They hide in crevices so check the mattress for any of that...Bug spray doesn't really work.

What are they?? That's the part that's getting me!

There is already a plastic covering over the mattress because apparently the people I'm staying with did have a bed bug problem like 2 years ago. They had their apartment fumigated and covered their mattresses with covers... so that's why I immediately assumed bed bugs, but they seriously look like fire ants and besides the whole living in a bed and biting me when I sleep, they don't really have anything in common with bed bugs. So wtf are these assholes??

Grimesy da Offspringfan
08-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Fleas, maybe?

Llamas
08-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Fleas, maybe?

Do fleas look like fire ants? I don't know what fleas look like... these things look like this, I think... though I can't see up close like in this photo. http://cdn-viper.demandvideo.com/media/86633e7b-2ca5-434a-813b-859d92e05077/jpeg/da5b5ffa-d43e-4a6d-818b-f9ef399b7761_2.jpg

SMASHedTHEignition
08-02-2009, 03:12 AM
we had that wen we went on holidays midges or sum shit, they fukn hurt change ur matress is all i can say

EDIT: Sunflower Midge's-Females are slightly larger and more robust than the males and have a long telescoping ovipositor.
Most abundant in southern manitoba,MINNESOTA and north dakota.

randman21
08-02-2009, 03:42 AM
So my next thought was fire ants... but I can't find any record of fire ants existing in Minnesota. And fire ants don't have a history of living in beds.

And fire ants have a history of FUCKING. YOU. UP. If that were what they were, it would be about as painful as a bee sting, but last longer. Fleas are very small and not really shaped like ants, so it's probably not that. I was going to say that if they were bed bugs, you'd most likely be sick right now, but that's false. My guess would be plain ol' ants. I think you should google images "insect bites" and compare.

Adriann
08-02-2009, 04:08 AM
llamas if I were you I'd be freeeaked the fuck out! Mysterious little bugs attacking you in your sleep?? Ughh groody! I'd get a whole new mattress and sheets!

KyleW
08-02-2009, 04:17 AM
llamas if I were you I'd be freeeaked the fuck out! Mysterious little bugs attacking you in your sleep?? Ughh groody! I'd get a whole new mattress and sheets!

Yeah, I'd be too freaked out to sleep.

Are these attacks still happening? If so are they worse or better than before?

SMASHedTHEignition
08-02-2009, 04:21 AM
luckily i don t get bitten anymore

Szandi
08-02-2009, 05:30 AM
When I was in London. There were bed bugs in my first house where I lived.
We tried everything...but nothing.... We asked a lot of people and somebody told me, there is a company who kill them, and it's free.
(but I moved, that was the easier way :) )
I think you can find a company.

Llamas
08-02-2009, 07:21 AM
They're incredibly tiny, but we're pretty certain they're fire ants. They're only a few millimeters long, and they look exactly like fire ants. They look absolutely NOTHING like any of the bed bugs photos I've pulled up, and there aren't enough of them to be those cause bed bugs infest quickly. Plus there aren't specks of blood, feces, or eggs from them on the bed; it's just the bugs. Furthermore, my bites resemble fire ant bites more than they resemble bed bug bites. They aren't in rows/clumps for the most part, and they have the white bump in the middle. And they itch like CRAZY. And the first night, I woke up to my arm burning before they started itching. So yeah... not bed bugs. Pretty definitely fire ants, and certainly some sort of ants. The people I'm staying with came down and looked this morning and agreed they're not bed bugs, they're definitely ants (they've had bed bugs before).

They want to just wash all the sheets and covers and then just spray the mattress with ortho or something... all I know is I'm not sleeping in there again til I know 100% for sure they're GONE.

KHWHD
08-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Yuck. No you can tell they're definitely not fleas. That was my first thought too. I didn't know you could get ants of any sort in your bed.

The last place I lived, ants got into the kitchen somehow (it was a basement apartment) and the owner did fuck all but put this powder shit down outside beside the windows. I moved out a couple weeks after he wouldn't do anything. Luckily they were only in the kitchen.

The neighbour on the other side of me didn't have any ants and I'm a clean freak (rather obsessively) so I'm not sure how or why I had them. It was pretty sick. They were the normal big/ger black ones. I know all red ants bite. Hopefully the problem gets resolved and you feel better soon. Good luck.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-02-2009, 08:00 AM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070411062902AAa62pT
or
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090729181326AAnQLKV

my suggestions would be call the exterminator man-man-man-man and spray pesticides all over your place(but im sure you dont want to sleep in pesticides unless you can afford to suffer some of the pesticides symptoms)

if you are not in financial condition to replace all of your infested belongings go to lowes and find insect killing spray and spray it around the windows, doors, under your bed, and all around your walls. after that, buy some kind of special soap for your washing machine that kills the bugs but doesn't harm you. If that dont work, i would either endure the bites or move

Outerspaceman21
08-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Ehhh, creepy. I would never sleep in a bed again.

Llamas
08-02-2009, 10:58 AM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070411062902AAa62pT
or
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090729181326AAnQLKV

my suggestions would be call the exterminator man-man-man-man and spray pesticides all over your place(but im sure you dont want to sleep in pesticides unless you can afford to suffer some of the pesticides symptoms)

if you are not in financial condition to replace all of your infested belongings go to lowes and find insect killing spray and spray it around the windows, doors, under your bed, and all around your walls. after that, buy some kind of special soap for your washing machine that kills the bugs but doesn't harm you. If that dont work, i would either endure the bites or move

I love how all of my posts in this thread make it very clear repeatedly that I don't have actual bed bugs, yet posts like this one still happen :P

And Shank, yeah ants are so fucking gross. I am a clean person myself, and in my last apt I had this streak for a month or two where there were TONS (thousands) of ants outside my apt door once in a while, and then they'd be all over the wall behind my sink - between the sink and the cupboards above it. I scrubbed the shit outta the wall with lysol, and searched for where the ants were coming from/going to... both answers were "cracks in the wall". They were not going to food in my apt, or coming from outside... they were coming from and going to the wall. WTF. It was soooo gross, and then finally one day, they just stopped coming.

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Don't spray your effing mattress! Do you want cancer? If anything get a steam cleaner for 50 bucks and steam it. Or rent a heavy duty one. But bottom line, you should call an exterminator. Also check domyownpestcontrol.com. But do not spray your gdmfing mattress with chemicals!!

Llamas
08-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Don't spray your effing mattress! Do you want cancer? If anything get a steam cleaner for 50 bucks and steam it. Or rent a heavy duty one. But bottom line, you should call an exterminator. Also check domyownpestcontrol.com. But do not spray your gdmfing mattress with chemicals!!

See the problem is that this isn't my mattress or me that gets to make the calls... I am staying with people for 3 weeks before I leave the country, so it's their mattress. Spraying it with Ortho seems pretty dumb to me, but that's what they said they wanna do. They have a steam cleaner, but they don't seem to want to take the mattress or box spring out of the covers they're in, which they'd have to do in order to steam clean them. I'll talk to them when they get back... cause I definitely thought spraying pesticides on the mattress seemed like a bad idea...

KyleW
08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I know all red ants bite.

And guess whos alergic to them... (N)

As LM said dont spray your matress, that will likely irritate your skin or potentially even worse.

Llamas
08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
So we sprayed all around the baseboards and the window on the side of the room they were on, and then outside sprinkled outdoor ant killer around the house. We took off all the sheets and covers and laundered those in hot water, and then covered the mattress. I don't see any ants on the box spring, so I'm gonna give it a couple days and see if there are any on there later... if not, I'm gonna put the mattress back on there with all the clean sheets and stuff and give it a shot. This is just the weirdest thing...

JohnnyNemesis
08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
I had bed bugs last year, and there's absolutely NO SOLUTION for that except to just get an entirely new mattress; everything else is pretty much a scam, they LIVE in there. If that's what you're looking at, these people need to break down and just get a new bed (or let you sleep on a couch, at least).

SMASHedTHEignition
08-03-2009, 04:18 AM
I had bed bugs last year, and there's absolutely NO SOLUTION for that except to just get an entirely new mattress; everything else is pretty much a scam, they LIVE in there. If that's what you're looking at, these people need to break down and just get a new bed (or let you sleep on a couch, at least).

see i told you ya had 2 ditch the matress

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

I had bed bugs a couple years ago and I got to keep my mattress -- had to throw out the bedframe, though, because it was a loft frame made out of 2 x 4s and provided waaay too many places for them to hide. I just got a really nice $80 dust mite and bedbug-proof mattress cover and was done with it. Bagged up all my shit, washed every last scrap of laundry, and called the exterminators who had my problem taken care of in just a couple weeks. You really don't have to throw out your shit unless it's 2 x 4s and screwholes in which case you can't save that ish. But it's expensive -- however, so is replacing all your shit.

Llamas, sounds like you guys did the right thing. Good luck.

Llamas
08-03-2009, 11:05 AM

see i told you ya had 2 ditch the matress

lol nobody's actually reading a thing I've written. Fuck :(

Edit: Except for Sarah - thanks for the advice well wishes. I hope everything is gonna be cool now. :)

dexter12296566
08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
the bites of a bed bug resemble small pimples and can be pink or blood red. beaglles can detect bed bugs if trained to do so look in the phone book and look for someone with a trained beagle(beagles can find bed bugs even exterminators cant find)

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
lol nobody's actually reading a thing I've written. Fuck :(

yr own damn fault for titling it "bed bugs"! ;)

JohnnyNemesis
08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
^Word up.

Plus, I guess I should have stated the obvious: I meant IF they're bed bugs.

But yeah, fux u bb <3

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I know all red ants bite.

Many black ones bite too. Actually, from what I've heard, they are more apt to bite.

Brianna, I know what its like. Ants in ones bed suck arse! We had this spell for a couple months two years ago where those little fuckers were everywhere and there wasn't a damn thing we could do to stop them. Those things hurt like a mother fucker, though the ants in my mom's house were black ones and they didn't itch for days on end.

Now my skins crawling. ugh!

Llamas
08-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Ew, I gotta say, itchy bites are way more tolerable than painful ones. I'd have been much more upset about painful motherfuckers... sucks no matter what, though :(

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I keep getting bug bites. For me they itch and itch for a week + and drive me insane. I don't mind the painful ones. The itching drives me nuts.

Llamas
08-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Weird that you're still getting them.

I scratch around bites. It still relieves the itching, but it doesn't risk infection or breaking of skin. Sometimes I'll slap the bites, too, which is also effective yet safe (just looks weird if you're in public). I was putting benedryl on the bites from the ants... worked pretty well. Itching in general doesn't bother me as much as pure pain, though. Especially if the pain lasts a while.

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Well the bug bites I keep getting are I believe mosquito bites. They get into my apartment because I have to leave the porch door open to keep it from getting musty in there and there is no screen on the door.

I also got covered in them on the 4th of July. I about lost my mind.

killer_queen
08-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Burn that fucking bed. Or burn the entire house, that would be a safer option.

As you can guess I have nothing to say about it since I've never seen those kind of bugs (and I hope I never will) but I really admire your courage. If I were you I would have an heart attack or kill myself. Or both.

Llamas
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
If it was actual bedbugs, I'd be extremely grossed out and freaked. But the ants really don't bother me all that much. Since we washed the sheets and cover, and sprayed around the room and outside, I haven't seen a single ant in that room. I don't think I have anything to worry about anymore... still gonna give it another day or so, but I think everything is fine :)

JoY
08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
did the owner have a cat, that slept in the bed? because that sounds a lot like fleas. like we had on our couches, after our dog died. of course we didn't know she had fleas, untill we had fleabites all over. or that she sneaked on the couch every now & then, little rascal. or maybe she didn't. it could've been from just sitting against it, or from the carpet. aw, I miss our dog.<33

if you try to squeeze them between your fingers, are they hard? (omg nasty!) & do they jump at all?

dude, I guess I skipped a part of this topic. stupid.
although... it doesn't seem so irrelevant, browsing Wiki. this picture kind of looks like an ant; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Macskabolha.png
& maybe your bites look a bit like this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fleabite.JPG
"Fleas attack a wide variety of warm-blooded vertebrates including dogs, cats, humans, chickens, rabbits, squirrels, rats, ferrets, and mice. Fleas are a nuisance to their hosts, causing an itching sensation which in turn may result in the host attempting to remove the pest by biting, pecking, scratching, etc. the vicinity of the parasite. Fleas are not simply a source of annoyance, however. Some people and animals suffer allergic reactions to flea saliva resulting in rashes. Flea bites generally result in the formation of a slightly-raised swollen itching spot with a single puncture point at the center. The bites often appear in clusters or lines of two bites, and can remain itchy and inflamed for up to several weeks afterwards. "

seriously? why would ants live in a bed. I just can't figure out why that'd make sense. the way fleas survive in furniture I've experienced for myself, so might be fleas?? I don't remember how we solved it. I think we stopped going into the room with carpet for a while & they just died, or whatever. after all, they need a host.

Llamas
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
did the owner have a cat, that slept in the bed? because that sounds a lot like fleas. like we had on our couches, after our dog died. of course we didn't know she had fleas, untill we had fleabites all over. & we didn't know the dog sneaked on the couch every now & then, little rascal. it could've been from just sitting against it, or from the carpet, though.

if you try to squeeze them between your fingers, are they hard? (omg nasty!) & do they jump at all?

dude, I guess I skipped a part of this topic. stupid.

They're ants. They're ants, they're ants, they're ants!

Haha. I ruled out fleas immediately, before I even ruled out bed bugs. Besides, their cats don't ever go outside, and their dog wears a flea thing. None of their pets have ever had fleas... plus these things looked like ants, not fleas :P Fleas don't look anything like ants.

We have absolutely no idea where the ants came from... that's the mystery. They're most likely either thief or pharaoh ants. Both species invade homes and fit the description of the ones I saw. They seem pretty easy to get rid of (one species is easier to rid with baits, other with sprays/washing), and don't appear to be a huge problem. Like I said before, I haven't seen any in that room since we washed and sprayed... so I think we're good. The bites still haven't completely gone away, though, and still itch a lot at times :(

Edit: just saw your edit.

That picture doesn't look like an ant to me... these things were definitely ants. They didn't hop, either. Just walked around like ants normally do. The bites weren't in clusters or rows - there was one cluster of four, but all the rest were super spread out. And the bite description of being a red bite with a swollen whitish part in the center is basically how most bug bites are described.

JoY
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
They're ants. They're ants, they're ants, they're ants!

Haha. I ruled out fleas immediately, before I even ruled out bed bugs. Besides, their cats don't ever go outside, and their dog wears a flea thing. None of their pets have ever had fleas... plus these things looked like ants, not fleas :P Fleas don't look anything like ants.

We have absolutely no idea where the ants came from... that's the mystery. They're most likely either thief or pharaoh ants. Both species invade homes and fit the description of the ones I saw. They seem pretty easy to get rid of (one species is easier to rid with baits, other with sprays/washing), and don't appear to be a huge problem. Like I said before, I haven't seen any in that room since we washed and sprayed... so I think we're good. The bites still haven't completely gone away, though, and still itch a lot at times :(

but those fuckers live in gigantic colonies. how does that fit your description??
besides, pharaoh ants don't have a stinger & apparently "They are "trail-making" ants and often are found foraging in drains, toilets, washbasins, bedpans and other unsanitary sites as well as in sealed packs of sterile dressing, intravenous drip systems, on surgical wounds, food and medical equipment", which hopefully doesn't sound anything like your bed. plus, "They feed on a wide variety of foods including jellies, honey, shortening, peanut butter, corn syrup, fruit juices, baked goods, soft drinks, greases, dead insects and even shoe polish", which I'm also guessing isn't one of your bed-qualities.

we treated our dog against fleas too, still she got them. *shrugs* ants have no business in beds, fleas do. for as long as you don't have a picture of these motherfuckers, I'm gonna go with fleas.

Llamas
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
but those fuckers live in gigantic colonies. how does that fit your description??
besides, pharaoh ants don't have a stinger & apparently "They are "trail-making" ants and often are found foraging in drains, toilets, washbasins, bedpans and other unsanitary sites as well as in sealed packs of sterile dressing, intravenous drip systems, on surgical wounds, food and medical equipment", which hopefully doesn't sound anything like your bed. plus, "They feed on a wide variety of foods including jellies, honey, shortening, peanut butter, corn syrup, fruit juices, baked goods, soft drinks, greases, dead insects and even shoe polish", which I'm also guessing isn't one of your bed-qualities.

we treated our dog against fleas too, still she got them. *shrugs* ants have no business in beds, fleas do. for as long as you don't have a picture of these motherfuckers, I'm gonna go with fleas.

Well they sound a lot more like Thief ants than Pharaoh ants. http://www.epestsolutions.com/info/blog/?p=284 That site with a description about how they look, and the fact that this lady found them in her bed, definitely leads me to believe these are the problem.

We haven't seen a trail because the carpet in that room is really long and brown... these ants would be virtually invisible on that carpet, especially with them literally being this big |-|

"Bite of a normal ant will cause a slight bump on the skin and will cause itching and a slight burning sensation. These symptoms will subside in a day or two." It definitely was burning at first (I woke up the first night and my entire arm was burning... when I woke up, there were 7 bites scattered over my arm that started to itch), and the itching pretty much went away for the most part after a few days. Flea bites seem to itch for a week or two.

JoY
08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
weird. very weird, ants in beds. *shudders*

JoY
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
noess, speaking of bedbugs, I just got bitten by something & it's left a huge swollen ring. it's probably a mosquitobite I tried to suck out too hard, though.