PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Permsissions

Pendragon
08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Copyright Permission question.

To whom it may concern:

We are a few guys who are making a Unreal Tournament 3 map and would like to include "Pretty Fly" by The Offspring into the map. The song fits it very well, however we would like your permission being as it is copyrighted content.

Thank you,

Josh

RageAndLov
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I think you should contact Offspring's record label Columbia records.

Mail:
Sony Music Entertainment
555 Madison Ave, 10th Fl
New York, NY 10022-3211

Columbia records telephone number:
212 833 8870

Little_Miss_1565
08-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Might have better luck with contacting whoever holds the publishing rights than the label.

KyleW
08-07-2009, 05:41 AM
I always thought you could just use it if it was non-profit. Or do you intend to make money from the map or something?

Harleyquiiinn
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Might have better luck with contacting whoever holds the publishing rights than the label.

Actually you have to contact both :)

DexterHollandisGod> It depends of the country actually... In the US, there is the Fair Use doctrine which authorizes you to use someone else's work, even if there is a copyright or a patent on it for a certain use. Non-profit use is one of the criterias but it doesn't mean that every non-profit use is fair... it's actually pretty rare to be considered as "fair" when it comes to copyright of movies and music...

If you really are interested: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html :)

SuperKnux
08-08-2009, 01:13 AM
I would just use it and not get permission.

I made a power-point presentation years ago in high school and used "The Kids Aren't Alright" in the background throughout the entire thing as I presented it. I doubt Columbia is going to want to fine me.

Virtuoso
08-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Once I uploaded a video containing an Offspring song to YouTube and it was instantly labeled with the "Matched third party content" thing by Sony Music Entertainment.