PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaargh Microsoft!

KyleW
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Just turned on my Xbox 360 for the first time in like a week and it loaded up fine then all of a sudden it crashed. I turned it off and on and.... red rings! I've had red rings before, just a few weeks back when I took my xbox to a friends house but that was fixed because it turned out it wasnt plugged in properly to the TV.

I've unplugged and replugged mine a good 5 times and I'm really reluctant to sending it away to Microsoft because they take forever and I wanna play now-ish.

Anyway, question is anyone had this issue before? If yes, did you fix it or send it away? How?

EDIT: Didnt use search button in heat of the moment.

The Talking Pie
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
My understanding is that red rings mean it's broken and needs to be sent away to be fixed.

0r4ng3
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
The Red Ring of Death? Yep, I'm pretty sure everyone that's ever owned an Xbox360 has had that happen at least once. Mine Red Ring'd last May. I'm too lazy to send mine in, and it's been too long ago for me to really care anyway.

But yeah, you have to send it away to get fixed. You'll get it back in a few weeks, I think.

Outerspaceman21
08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm lucky enough to say I've never got a red ring on my 360. I haven't played it in a while, though. I've been playing World of Warcraft instead.

KyleW
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
A mod can delete/lock this thread if they like, I fixed it using an obscure towel method my friend suggested. Sounds skethy I know but it worked a treat :D

EDIT: Thanks for the advice anyway guys :D

0r4ng3
08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
The towel trick is only a temporary fix. I did it the first time my Xbox Red Ring'd. It worked for a while, but it eventually reached the point where it didn't do anything.

KyleW
08-06-2009, 02:32 PM
The towel trick is only a temporary fix. I did it the first time my Xbox Red Ring'd. It worked for a while, but it eventually reached the point where it didn't do anything.

Dang, I never knew that. How long would you say I havebefore It'll go again?

_Lost_
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you have it up on its side or down flat?

I heard the guy at gamestop the other day saying that they aren't really made to stand up very well and that can exacerbate the red ringing issue. He was explaining this to a very annoyed mother whose kid's xbox was having said issue. Then she bought them 4 or 5 new games.

KyleW
08-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Do you have it up on its side or down flat?

I heard the guy at gamestop the other day saying that they aren't really made to stand up very well and that can exacerbate the red ringing issue. He was explaining this to a very annoyed mother whose kid's xbox was having said issue. Then she bought them 4 or 5 new games.

I always have mine lying flat anyway, I think they look pretty unsightly on thier side :S

Sounds like some pretty spoilt kids.

nameless
08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
this seems such a common thing, surely microsoft should do something about it rather than taking weeks to fix it!