PDA

View Full Version : Why other bands usually mention The Offspring in a bad manner?

RonWelty
08-10-2009, 02:52 AM
If you notice, a lot of bands mention that THE OFFSPRING are well known but they have no quality...

The newest example:
http://detroit.metromix.com/music/article/ryan-allen-and-the/1382762/content

Why do You think that happens?

Rutegard
08-10-2009, 02:58 AM
If you were a betting man, which of your bands do you think will achieve mainstream success?
None of them. I don’t even know what “mainstream success” means anymore. You could be the Offspring, and still be horrible. Whoever decides which bands will be popular and which bands will toil in obscurity is beyond my understanding.

we decide man, WE decide!

one word for u RonWelty: jealousy

Harleyquiiinn
08-10-2009, 03:04 AM
I think it is because of Pretty Fly and Original Prankster and some other singles. With these songs, the Offspring have been categorized as "not real punk".
That's basically all I heard about the Offspring in 10 years... but people never listened to what happened next, maybe because of a lack of advertising.

I was with a friend who always says the "Offspring is nothing since Americana" the other day when my computer randomly played The Noose.

He was surprised and said "I don't know this Offspring song"... and he really liked it ... He started listening to the Offspring again...

So I'd say, I don't think we should really care about this kind of commentaries. If they think Offspring is horrible, they probably didn't listen to all the songs like we did but maybe just the singles.
And yes, if I only listened to the singles, I might still be thinking that The Offspring is not such a great band (excpetion with Hammerhead, which is great) which by the way, I was thinking untill 8 months ago...

Static_Martyr
08-10-2009, 03:11 AM
It doesn't sound like he was necessarily smacking on the Offspring; I think he was just saying, you could be as popular as the Offspring and still not be great, so talent isn't necessarily a factor in becoming popular.

Oxygene
08-10-2009, 03:12 AM
If you notice, a lot of bands mention that THE OFFSPRING are well known but they have no quality...

The newest example:
http://detroit.metromix.com/music/article/ryan-allen-and-the/1382762/content

Why do You think that happens?

Did you take a good look at those guys...

Why do you think? :D

Rutegard
08-10-2009, 03:13 AM
It doesn't sound like he was necessarily smacking on the Offspring; I think he was just saying, you could be as popular as the Offspring and still not be great, so talent isn't necessarily a factor in becoming popular.

tho he could have used another example....lol

Free?
08-10-2009, 03:55 AM
What Tim said.
Or...

If you were a betting man, which of your bands do you think will achieve mainstream success?

None of them. I don’t even know what “mainstream success” means anymore. You could be the Offspring, and still be horrible. Whoever decides which bands will be popular and which bands will toil in obscurity is beyond my understanding.

Waysssss to miss a point.

He referred to The Offspring as something very good, and even then to have horrible mainstream success. Even though this is not entirely true (like at all) or it was even more of an example than an actual fact, he didn't belittle our favorite band.

Also, why EVERY band gets criticized by other bands? Offspring is no different at all, happens to everyone.

Or...
Maybe, he actually did say that Offspring is horrible and still popular... I'm not sure anymore.

Dragnet
08-10-2009, 04:01 AM
The Offspring wrote some songs especially to please the fans, like Original Prankster (after the success of Pretty Fly) for example. While these are still pretty good songs, this is not reputable in any music scene I think. I don't say they wrote pop songs to cash in but at least to keep their fans happy and like themselves when they started younger bands now tend to judge about this way of songwriting or behaviour.

dff_punk
08-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Did you take a good look at those guys...

Why do you think? :D

Hahaha, they look horrible.

Oxygene
08-10-2009, 04:37 AM
The Offspring wrote some songs especially to please the fans, like Original Prankster (after the success of Pretty Fly) for example. While these are still pretty good songs, this is not reputable in any music scene I think. I don't say they wrote pop songs to cash in but at least to keep their fans happy and like themselves when they started younger bands now tend to judge about this way of songwriting or behaviour.

I think you're wrong.. I think the Offspring don't give a fuck what people think.. songs like pretty fly, wdygaj, op are super fun to play live, and they get a huge crowd reaction...

fuck anyone who picks that apart...

RonWelty
08-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I think you're wrong.. I think the Offspring don't give a fuck what people think.. songs like pretty fly, wdygaj, op are super fun to play live, and they get a huge crowd reaction...

yes, they doesn't seem to give a fuck, but Why bands use THE OFFSPRING as an example of a band that as success without quality. If you search a little you'll find a lot of more examples of other bands saying that. Even NOFX and they are/used to be pals...

Smash punker
08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Well Offy´s always had n always´ll have people, who hate-em. It soundz awful, but some people are just stupid dumb fucks, who just envy the success n try to put the blame on them ;) But those haters never did anything good n big. Something that´d tell that much like Offspring did, so fuck those ignorant bastards :D If ya wanna have peace in ya soul, just imagine the numbers of sold copies ;) It´s not about it, but Offspring´re unique band n they just simply made it :D

Blitz!
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
The other day when my computer randomly played The Noose. He was surprised and said "I don't know this Offspring song"... and he really liked it ... He started listening to the Offspring again...

I know the band has its criteria for picking one song over another when it comes to singles and I will admit that I don’t agree with their choices for the most part. But these songs are what the general public associates The Offspring with and they completely miss the bigger picture of what the band is all about. Personally, I appreciate the songs that weren’t picked as singles more, for they have depth and soul.

Captain Sarcasm
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
they talk shit about them because they know they are better:rolleyes:

IdleOffspring
08-10-2009, 09:03 AM
the more popular you get, more chances there are more people "hating" you.

it's the same for music, movies, games. etc.

On forums like (imdb) for movies, there are always topics at good movies about how horrible the movies is and it sucked. From people who didn't like the movie and don't understand that its so high rated.

A popular guy on your school is also been hated by a lot of people, but a guy thats very on its own and nobody really knows him, not many people will hate him, neither love ofcorse.

in this example its not really a bad thing about the offspring tho

tayluhhx3
08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Those songs might not be considered "punk" but even if you listen to them compared to any other music at the time, it sounds different. To me, at least Offspring always has their own sound compared to any "mainstream" band, and has still made great music for longer than most people can say they have.

NoGuessing
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
The singles haven't helped. Because they've never really demonstrated their variety in styles from 1998-2007 people just assume their whole albums are full of Pretty fly's and what not, so people assume they're a band for little kids and pop fans. If The Noose, Come Out Swinging etc had been released as well then thigns would be different.

A lot of people have forgotten All I Want, Come Out and Play, and my personal favourite from Smash.."la la la la la, la la la la la...*sound explosion*"

In fact, my only disappointment from RAFRAG is they released songs like Kristy, when (IMO) they should have left the pop influence at YGGFK then released Trust In You and kicked the asses of all the naysayers that don't even listen to full albums.

SelfEsteem94
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
i agree with this,
im pretty sure he wasnt talking down to the Offspring.

jacknife737
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
People throw these (sometimes) negative comments at the band for lots of reasons; they're very high profile (on tv, radio, ect); been involved with controversy (leaving epitaph, ect), and their "mainstream" reputation has in the past been shaped by singles like Pretty Fly, Hit That and Original Prankster (which i think with the selection of RAFRAG singles, that criticism well become less prevalent in the future).

Either way, best not to get excited over shit like this.

YODAvid
08-11-2009, 04:07 AM
has this been cleared up? that band isnt saying ANYTHING bad about the offspring. what they are saying about offspring is in [ ]:

[you can be as famous as the offspring] and still suck. they just use the band as an example for a band thats well known.

F@ BANKZ
08-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Ignorance is the root of fear. And fear is the kindling of anger.

offsrx
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Personally, I appreciate the songs that weren’t picked as singles more, for they have depth and soul.

No dude, don't go there. I mean it's not all about (for example) : you hating pretty fly because it was mainstream popular and everyone knows that part "Give it to me baby..". It's all about you finding some value in any song on the world, weather it is popular or not. I disliked pretty fly too, but when I have realised this, I've got into it again. A lot of people have told me: "The Offspring sucks, because its:
-Easy to play
-mainstream
-Music for 12 year old boys
-Etc.
And those accusations are false because the band is trying through music to say: BE FREE. Be free from any kind of cliches and all of that crap, that puts boundaries on you, and just listen to the music and find a value in it. And that's why Offspring's music is a lot of time bashed and characterized as cheap MTV crap. People's who say that, well they have small views on the world, and don't know a lot about music. Hit that is a good song also. I liked it. And Lightning Rod. And TKAA and etc.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Am i the only ignorant pussy to think "who the fuck cares"? I mean, what's this band, Thunderbirds are now or what's their name? Seriosly, am i supposed to care about what a crappy little no-name band like that says about my favorite band?

RonWelty
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Am i the only ignorant pussy to think "who the fuck cares"? I mean, what's this band, Thunderbirds are now or what's their name? Seriosly, am i supposed to care about what a crappy little no-name band like that says about my favorite band?

You're right, but you don't think about why that happens? You don't want to know why?
Because it's not just this band. NOFX said it some time ago, Bad Religion too... And there were some more examples in the past.

Rutegard
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

no, not at all!!

Grimesy da Offspringfan
08-13-2009, 02:56 AM
You're right, but you don't think about why that happens? You don't want to know why?
Because it's not just this band. NOFX said it some time ago, Bad Religion too... And there were some more examples in the past.

This band is hammering on the Offsring obviously by jealousy, Bad Religion's Brett Gurewitz is the owner of Epitaph so when The Offspring signed to Columbia he was just a douche because he didn't get money from them anymore, and NOFX probably didn't like that The Offspring let MTV and the other music channels air their music videos

Scumbag
08-30-2009, 12:03 PM
No dude, don't go there. I mean it's not all about (for example) : you hating pretty fly because it was mainstream popular and everyone knows that part "Give it to me baby..". It's all about you finding some value in any song on the world, weather it is popular or not. I disliked pretty fly too, but when I have realised this, I've got into it again. A lot of people have told me: "The Offspring sucks, because its:
-Easy to play
-mainstream
-Music for 12 year old boys
-Etc.

Easy to play? Like seriously? Does anyone listen to Ramones anymore?

I dunno why people talk shit about The Offspring. But they are my favorite band, and some people don't like them, I don't care. It is so much that I like about them that others hate, so...

_Lost_
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
The Offspring have that "something" that a lot of other bands fail to have. Thats just the way it goes. Bands that don't possess that something are going to cast it off as horrible sellout bullshit. Oh well! It happens. No need to sweat over every sideways or outright comment against them. There are easily just as many bands that would praise them for being an inspiration and going so far, but its easier to miss those since we are programmed to notice the negative first and foremost.

Llamas
08-31-2009, 04:00 AM
I know nobody is gonna read my post, but here goes...

First of all, I'm amazed that so many people think this link was an insult to the Offspring. They said, "You can be the Offspring and still suck". This means that sucking is separate from the Offspring. They actually implied that the Offspring DOES NOT suck. All they said about the Offspring is that they are famous and mainstream.

Now I understand that some of you aren't native English speakers (thread maker included), but the rest of you? WTF dudes?

--------------

In other news, I read that entire article, and that dude sounds like a total douche. I decided to look up his band on youtube and holy shit, they suck! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re300yvfvvM)
------------

Anyway, people need to learn not to get their panties in a bundle over people saying bad things about the Offspring (when it does happen - because it did not happen in this article). There are millions of people in the world, and we all have different music tastes. Many people love the Offspring; many people hate the Offspring; many people don't care about the Offspring. Let go. You like them, maybe you can introduce some friends to them and they'll like them. But every single person is never going to like the Offspring. People make fun of EVERY famous person, band, organization; there is no famous thing that escapes ridicule. Getting upset over it is petty. I like the Offspring, and if someone makes fun of them, sometimes I see where they're coming from, other times I just laugh it off. Who the fuck cares?

Oxygene
08-31-2009, 04:14 AM
Anyway, people need to learn not to get their panties in a bundle over people saying bad things about the Offspring (when it does happen - because it did not happen in this article). There are millions of people in the world, and we all have different music tastes. Many people love the Offspring; many people hate the Offspring; many people don't care about the Offspring. Let go. You like them, maybe you can introduce some friends to them and they'll like them. But every single person is never going to like the Offspring. People make fun of EVERY famous person, band, organization; there is no famous thing that escapes ridicule. Getting upset over it is petty. I like the Offspring, and if someone makes fun of them, sometimes I see where they're coming from, other times I just laugh it off. Who the fuck cares?

I care.

Take me to court..

Llamas
08-31-2009, 04:17 AM
Well question: do you ever talk shit about anyone famous? Do you ever say than anyone famous sucks? If you do, it's hypocritical to get upset when other people do it for someone you like.

RageAndLov
08-31-2009, 04:19 AM
I think it is because of Pretty Fly and Original Prankster and some other singles. With these songs, the Offspring have been categorized as "not real punk".

No, that happened when Offspring went mainstream.

Oxygene
08-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Well question: do you ever talk shit about anyone famous? Do you ever say than anyone famous sucks? If you do, it's hypocritical to get upset when other people do it for someone you like.

I never did it in interviews or as an official point of view or anything of the kind.. also I have about people I've had personal run ins with. I try to be respectful. Of course I have private opinions but when we were super active with my band I was never openly negative about anyone or anything.

It isn't my place to be.

Llamas
08-31-2009, 04:30 AM
I never did it in interviews or as an official point of view or anything of the kind.. also I have about people I've had personal run ins with. I try to be respectful. Of course I have private opinions but when we were super active with my band I was never openly negative about anyone or anything.

It isn't my place to be.

Well I guess I've never seen anything in an interview that was disrespectful or overly negative about the Offspring. It's good that you try not to be negative and such.

I retract that; that time that stupid hardcore band was ripping apart the Offspring cause of Hammerhead; that was ridiculous. But most of the time, I don't see a big deal.

Oxygene
08-31-2009, 04:40 AM
Well I guess I've never seen anything in an interview that was disrespectful or overly negative about the Offspring. It's good that you try not to be negative and such.

I retract that; that time that stupid hardcore band was ripping apart the Offspring cause of Hammerhead; that was ridiculous. But most of the time, I don't see a big deal.

That hardcore band was fucking ridiculous

too bad I wasn't around so much then... but on the flipside, some shit that Fat Mike says or you know the general kind of negativity makes me mad, and militant sometimes. Especially when they are dissecting their intentions, when they know nothing about them.

RageAndLov
08-31-2009, 04:46 AM
too bad I wasn't around so much then... but on the flipside, some shit that Fat Mike says or you know the general kind of negativity makes me mad, and militant sometimes. Especially when they are dissecting their intentions, when they know nothing about them.

Fat Mike stated later in a interview that he was jelous of Offspring's success, and that was the reason for ripping on them.

Budzy
08-31-2009, 05:46 AM
I'm doing an oral presentation on The Offspring tomorrow. Couldn't think of anything else to talk about.
Wish me luck!

RageAndLov
08-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Good luck!

PedroACastro
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM
anyway most of the bands like NoFx and bad religion must feel some jealousy of the offspring's success its only natural they we're all punk and then the offspring just stood out and went mainstream and sold millions, people get pissed at it and call them sell outs. they were just good enough to do it. i think the same thing happens to green day when the album american idiot is envolved. but just my oppinion

myrec
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Argentina
According to Greg (on a radio interview in March 2001), the show they (Bad Religion) were supposed to play there in 1999 was cancelled because The Offspring didn't want to share the stage with them. He said they only found out in Brazil, when they were about to fly to Argentina.

I think Offspring have sometimes fear to be The Second (I dont say they arent THE FIRST, they come to Slovakia, Bad Religion didnt same on them :D ) ... I heard they choose destination where they will be headliners or at least there will be lot of groups so they don't look like to be second...
it's only my opinion and i dont have any writable reason...
so too much fame make things worse ...
excuse me my english:o

SeeYouAgain
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Because of jealousy. That's why, and I support my men no matter what other crappy bands outthere say about my offspring. If I were to be in a punk rock band, I'll mentioned em in a good manner.