PDA

View Full Version : Life without parole for throwing a punch?

panzor41
08-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Watch this NECN story and tell me what you think:

http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/08/06/Man-serving-life-without/1249563331.html

I personally think that is ridiculous. He didnt kill anyone! The person who wielded the knife is out of prison after just ten years and he has life without parole for throwing a punch 16 years ago! This man deserves to be freed.

If anyone wants to help (it takes LESS than thirty seconds!), his family has set up a petition at:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/support-joe-donovan

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-10-2009, 07:44 AM
is it in america? cuz i can't click on it

KHWHD
08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
is it in america? cuz i can't click on it

Yeah Boston, MA.

KHWHD
08-10-2009, 08:14 AM
It's really tough to say. I didn't agree with what the one juror said though about everyone wanting to leave to go home to their young kids so they charged him with 1st degree murder instead of a hung jury. I'm sure they were all told that if you're chosen to be a juror for a particular case, it takes time.

I don't understand how they weren't told this before hand instead of them HAVING to say he's guilty because they weren't aware of the hung charge. But because it wasn't unanimous - he spends life in prison with no chance of parole.

But who knows, he was young - he could be lying and saying he didn't stab that kid. It's really hard to know if he did anything else but punch him in the face.

It's really interesting though. I'd like to read/watch more on this.

randman21
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
It's really tough to say. I didn't agree with what the one juror said though about everyone wanting to leave to go home to their young kids so they charged him with 1st degree murder instead of a hung jury. I'm sure they were all told that if you're chosen to be a juror for a particular case, it takes time.

Absolutely. That would be a crime, possibly perjury. They are most definitely told before to take the case seriously, and what happened there was kinda the opposite.

But them's appear to be the breaks. When you've got a guy willing to testify against you to get a reduced sentence, it doesn't really matter what the truth is. He should have done it first, or better yet, shouldn't have started a fight with a random guy.

What I don't understand is how that's first degree murder. I got the explanation, that the murder happened during the commission of a crime, but...the robbery wasn't exactly premeditated. Even if it was by their definition, don't the conspiracy and the crime have to be the same thing? Could I run a red light and hit a pedestrian, and be charged with first degree murder?

jacknife737
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I take back everything i said in the death penalty thread; get this sick fuck to the gallows.