PDA

View Full Version : TV shows from the late 80s, early 90s

Blitz!
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I remember when I was younger the biggest thing on television were shows like the A-Team, MacGyver, Airwolf and Knight Rider. These were the shows that drew everyone to the tube for many different reasons and were definitely a must see. There wasn’t a week that you didn’t miss these shows.

A while ago, there were re-runs of these shows during the afternoon and I thought it would be a great idea to watch until I realized what a load a crap they were basically because technology and special effects had advanced so much over the years, none of it seems to be realistic at all *not to mention the storyline*

What are your views on the changes in technology relating to television or movies?

Rutegard
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
i agree with u, but i dont even need to search that deep, i remember watching ALIAS, in the late 90s or something and i thought it was so fucking awesome, and later on i had the change to saw an epsiode and i was like...how the hell could i have had enjoied this THAT much?'

m.offspring.r
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
great thread :D :D

I love MacGyver and Knight Rider (that car kills me :p)

jacknife737
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Sometimes people go way too overboard with the cgi (glares at George Lucas), but the advancement of cgi has allowed things to be made which would be near impossible to do without it. For example, the Lord of the Rings series, and even stuff like Watchmen. Technological advancement in media is never a bad thing, but i just hope filmmakers remember that the focus should be on storytelling and performances, not trying to make things look pretty.

Regrading TV i don't really notice the change all that much; i do prefer the quality of 2000s television shows (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, Breaking Bad, ect, ect) to their 90s counterparts, but that's not really the point of the thread. Although, a show like Rome, in which the setting (ie landscapes, battlescenes, cityscapes ect) can be improved via the use of cgi is a positive thing; it just looks more realistic, when it's not overdone.

Harleyquiiinn
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Sometimes people go way too overboard with the cgi (glares at George Lucas), but the advancement of cgi has allowed things to be made which would be near impossible to do without it. For example, the Lord of the Rings series, and even stuff like Watchmen. Technological advancement in media is never a bad thing, but i just hope filmmakers remember that the focus should be on storytelling and performances, not trying to make things look pretty.

Regrading TV i don't really notice the change all that much; i do prefer the quality of 2000s television shows (Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, Breaking Bad, ect, ect) to their 90s counterparts, but that's not really the point of the thread. Although, a show like Rome, in which the setting (ie landscapes, battlescenes, cityscapes ect) can be improved via the use of cgi is a positive thing; it just looks more realistic, when it's not overdone.

http://www.assas.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/jap.gif

I agree with everything you say.

Although I had the same feeling for many shows Blitz...

And when series focus on storytelling and performances you have great shows. Even if the image look old, they are still great to see. Instead of Mac Gyver, try watching some Quantum Leap (Season 1 => 1989) and tell me if you think it's crap depsite the bad blue special effect of the leaps... :)

The best thing in Mac Gyver is definitely the explosion with the name during the opening credits:
http://www.spurgeonworld.com/blog/images/MacGyver_intro.jpg

:D

nameless
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
it can work both ways, old shows that make comebacks often just end up being to polished off and over produced!

Gustavo
08-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't usually watch TV shows from these times and I actually don't think I ever did. Well, there is an exception, a TV show that is called "El Chavo del 8" in Spanish and "Chaves" in Portuguese. It's a Mexican comedy TV show, it's pretty popular and people still watch it, I think I've watched most of the episodes at least 5 times each... And I still love to watch it, it just, somehow, never gets old.
Some of my South American fellas here know the feeling and know what I'm talking about.

RageAndLov
08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Are you guys forgetting Full House? Best sitcom of the early 90's!!
I love when Bob Saget starts his moral talks to whichever child who has behaved badly.

Harleyquiiinn
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Are you guys forgetting Full House? Best sitcom of the early 90's!!
I love when Bob Saget starts his moral talks to whichever child who has behaved badly.

Ah I used ot love Uncle Joey's humour... but now... I saw some episodes the other day and it's not as funny as I thought it was... :( ...

Thomas
08-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I used to fucking LOVE Benson and Remington Steele. Those shows rocked, and I don't think a whole lot of people watched them. And I'm pretty sure it was in the 70's, but i watched an episode or two of Sanford and Son today that fucking ruled. I love Redd Foxx so much.

m.offspring.r
08-10-2009, 03:46 PM
hey, I forget "The Simpsons"... Awesome!!

Paint_It_Black
08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
A while ago, there were re-runs of these shows during the afternoon and I thought it would be a great idea to watch until I realized what a load a crap they were basically because technology and special effects had advanced so much over the years, none of it seems to be realistic at all *not to mention the storyline*

You can never go home.

Better to just keep the memory.

Outerspaceman21
08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Out of all the shows, the one that sticks out to me is Married with Children. That was a funny show.

ninthz
08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I watched Golden Girls today, no big deal.

Rutegard
08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
did anyone mention ALF???

one of the best!!

m.offspring.r
08-11-2009, 02:07 AM
ahahahah :D

Blitz!
08-11-2009, 05:00 AM
And when series focus on storytelling and performances you have great shows. Even if the image look old, they are still great to see.

Naturally my comments don't apply to all movies and TV shows made in the late 80s and early 90s. You will always have your classics like 'Cheers' and even 'Golden Girls' which are timeless.

I think that we have just become accustomed to special effects and anything less is just not that appealing anymore. This applies specifically to action movies.

Speaking of special effects, a while ago I was watching the original Annie movie and there was a scene where they moved a vase of flowers from one table to another. In today’s world I can see how they could do this with special effects, but I was wondering how they did it back then *probably used fishing wire of some sort*

randman21
08-11-2009, 05:11 AM
The Wonder Years.

/thread

dexter12296566
08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
What's this with Knight Rider? David Hasselhoff, eh?

KHWHD
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
How about Family Ties, Full House, Saved By The Bell, and The Hogan Family. Anyone ever watch any of those shows?

Rutegard
08-13-2009, 05:04 AM
How about Family Ties, Full House, Saved By The Bell, and The Hogan Family. Anyone ever watch any of those shows?

i dont recog any

anyone know wut happened to american dad?

MAXTER
08-13-2009, 05:18 AM
Mac Gyver was the best telefim of 80's and 90's :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-oDZSLUrY

Paint_It_Black
08-13-2009, 06:42 AM
What's this with Knight Rider? David Hasselhoff, eh?

Knight Rider was fucking awesome and I will not be friends with anyone who says otherwise.

I'm barely joking.

mrs_hollandova
08-13-2009, 06:54 AM

ooooooh yeah, Saved by the bell LOL that was sooo sweet!

And Step by step :D Baywatch, Dawsons creek, 90210, FRASIER!!!

dexter12296566
08-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Full House is my favourite TV show. I have every episode on DVD.

Harleyquiiinn
08-13-2009, 09:41 AM
ooooooh yeah, Saved by the bell LOL that was sooo sweet!

And Step by step :D Baywatch, Dawsons creek, 90210, FRASIER!!!

I watched Saved by the Bell every night. I was so in love with Zach... but then I was 10 and that is definitely an excuse.

And Mrs Hollandova, this is so nice to see someone who used to watch Dawson's Creek 'eventhough that's not really 80's but whatever...) ... I loved it, I couldn't miss one ep... and for that one, I have no excuse... I'm sure that if I watch an episode again, I'd still like it... That's the teenage girl in me...

mrs_hollandova
08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I watched Saved by the Bell every night. I was so in love with Zach... but then I was 10 and that is definitely an excuse.

And Mrs Hollandova, this is so nice to see someone who used to watch Dawson's Creek 'eventhough that's not really 80's but whatever...) ... I loved it, I couldn't miss one ep... and for that one, I have no excuse... I'm sure that if I watch an episode again, I'd still like it... That's the teenage girl in me...

yeah, I was in love with him too :rolleyes: he was a perfect guy

yeah, Dawson's creek is not 80s but it's 90s and pretty old as well

Oh, I miss those days