PDA

View Full Version : downloading music for free

XYlophonetreeZ
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
I have a problem here. I will tell you all about it in the next paragraph. But please, for the love of God, don't turn this thread into an ethical debate. At least not until I have figured out how I will resolve my problem. Because I'm telling you, I have a problem. Skip the next two paragraphs in case of tl;dr.

Problem: All of my music was erased from my iPod. Most of that music was backed up on a hard drive from my old computer, which has since deceased. I had turned it into my school's help desk to attempt to get the viruses removed, but they were unsuccessful. At the time, they told me that everything should still be on my hard drive.

Here's the thing though: I was out of the area when they told me this, and so I couldn't pick up my computer for a few months. I finally did, and didn't do anything with it for a while. In the meantime, I bought a new computer, and in my attempt to transfer all of my music from my iPod to the new computer, only about 350 songs (out of over 2400) successfully made it (PC to Mac). I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to the songs that made it vs. the songs that didn't. It wasn't just purchased music, it wasn't just music from CDs, it wasn't just music I got from iTunes... no pattern whatsoever. Since my old laptop was unreliable/iffy for a good 3 months before I ever bought my new computer, I had gotten used to either not having my full library while sitting at my computer or else just bringing my iPod everywhere, so I didn't worry about this for a while. So I finally tried to retrieve the old files from my old hard drive today, and... empty. Gone. Kaput. I immediately called the help desk where I had turned it in, and they told me now, several months after they had returned it to me, that they had lost all of my data. And I can't do shit about it because I signed a waiver at the time.

So basically I need a shit ton of music back. Just over 2000 songs were lost. Out of that, I probably have about a quarter of it on CDs somewhere, and another quarter I don't really give a shit about. That still leaves about a thousand songs that I need to reacquire somehow. I've never been anal about my music "collection," and I don't even have a list of all the music I'm missing, so I'll have to kind of get it back by feel and the music I care most about will be naturally selected. Especially since I'm already gonna have to buy a new iPod, I really want to avoid paying for stuff I already paid for once. I used to download music for free all the time in my teens, but I never do it anymore. I buy most of it and get the rest from friends. How safe is it? Which file sharing networks are the best? I've heard of people calling some number in Russia to get free music without any legal risk. I just need suggestions. Bah.

nieh
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Soulseek is far and away my favorite P2P program to download music from. I know bit torrent isn't a bad way to get them either, but I've had trouble finding things on various torrent sites that aren't either fairly new or paritcularly popular that I have an easier time finding on Soulseek.

m.offspring.r
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I use the google to download all free music... I dont use the progrmas... this programs have trojans or another malwares...

Rag Doll
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I use torrents. I've never had a problem with it.

I recently, for the 2nd time, lost all of the music on my hard drive. I still have it all on my ipod though. This week sometime, I'm planning to put everything back on my computer. If there's anything you want you think I might have, I can upload it somewhere for you once I get it back on my computer.

0r4ng3
08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I use the google to download all free music... I dont use the progrmas... this programs have trojans or another malwares...
I agree with this. I sometimes use torrents, but that totally fucks with the bandwith for any other computer on the wireless. All you need to do is google search and add site:mediafire.com or something like that. It works for most stuff.

Vera
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM

I don't agree with this. Clicked on a blog post with download links once, comp rebooted itself and hiya! a Trojan had unpacked itself into my hd, undetected by my anti-virus/malware software and I had to google instructions on how to manually remove it. Took about 4 reboots to clean my comp of it, and around 2 hours of my time.

So ..yeah. Blogs/message boards are not always riskfree, either.

medi01
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
www.rapidshare.com
www.mediafire.com
www.megaupload.com

they're all places where albums are normally free to download from in .zip or .rar files. to find what u want search on google for: [album and artist name] ".zip"

jacknife737
08-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Never had a problem using bit torrent, although i very, very rarely download music; and i've heard some people have some issues finding stuff, although this site (http://torrentpond.com/) makes searching easier.

http://megadownload.net/

Searches both megauload and rapidshare for files; never had a problem using this either.

Jebus
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
There's a ton of different search engines that looks for rapidshare, mediafire, and megaupload links for you if you fail at google.
http://search.jrfreelancer.com/
http://www.megadownload.net/

4chan's /rs/ search section is also oddly good for music.
http://rs.4chan.org/

The main problem is that rapidshare has 15 minute wait times in between downloads, but it shouldn't be that big of a problem if the next album you download uses a different host.

EDIT:

they're all places where albums are normally free to download from in .zip or .rar files. to find what u want search on google for: [album and artist name] ".zip"
no one uses zip anymore. Rar is more common.

cool 2 hate 681
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
http://megadownload.net/

Searches both megauload and rapidshare for files; never had a problem using this either.

http://rapidlibrary.com/ is another good search engine for rapidshare

Bazza
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
If you can remember any of the music missing you could possibly request it in the music request and sharing thread? Guarantees quality and no viruses (assuming it comes from trusted board members).

I'd have no moral objection to downloading music for free that I had at one point payed for. It'd be a pain to replace an exceptionally large music collection, that was lost, by having to re-buy all the tracks. I think this is generally the reason why, if I buy music, I will buy it on CD, there's something about legal downloads I don't like.

Llamas
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
All the advice I would've given has been given. So all I have to say is that this is exactly why I would never pay for an mp3 and still buy CDs. I've heard of people losing their entire music library through computer failures/issues far too many times. And backing it all up in a bunch of places is more trouble than it's worth. <3 CDs.

Good luck getting your music back.

RageAndLov
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
It kind of depends how you got your music in the first place.
If you are one of the ones who download one song from this artist, and two songs from that band etc. a P2P programme would be better I think, like Limewire and such. You have to learn though which files that are corrupt and which are not, but you easily get the hang of that.
If you are one the ones who download complete albums or even artist catalouges, torrent would be the best way to do it.
Good luck!

nameless
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
it sounds like they are about to drop the price for mp3 downloads on a lot of sites so it may be worth paying for it and saving all the illegal activity!