PDA

View Full Version : District 9

barangatang
08-17-2009, 03:58 PM
it was so good

dexter12296566
08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I recently fell asleep while watching television and the comercial for District 9 came on and I woke up thinking it was a real warning and I was freaking out. I felt so stupid when the comercial was on the next day. I want to see District 9 but I did not know it was in theaters yet.

KHWHD
08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Bet there'll be a video game made after this.

T-6005
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Too bad. For once it's a sci-fi/action movie that shouldn't have one. District 9 was a movie I thought was truly fantastic, even though it dragged slightly in the middle, and the last thing it needs is a video game adaptation (or worse, a sequel).

On its own merits, I see it becoming a sci-fi favorite for years to come.

0r4ng3
08-17-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't see it having a video game adaptation. Usually the movies that get turned into games are the kids movies and the comic book movies. I can't recall anything else that's been turned into a video game lately.

Also, I agree the movie is really good, etc.

Knife
08-18-2009, 01:53 AM
I watched trailer. It reminded me of Half-Life and Predator. If it leaks in good quality I'm gonna watch.

Superdope
08-18-2009, 03:52 AM
I want to watch this movie so bad. It won't be out here for another couple of days, though. I like the premise. I mean, I really, really like the premise.

jacknife737
08-18-2009, 03:08 PM
My post from the official movie thread;

District 9 - 9/10

Brilliant. It had a bit more action in than i would have assumed, but i'm not complaining; the fighting scenes were well handled, and surprisingly fun (i lol'd at the pig). The only part that kind of annoyed me was that it started off as having a mockumentary style, before ignoring it completely for the second half until the very end.

Apathy
08-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I went in expecting a crappy action flick and left surprised and very happy. I loved it. It was kind of excessively gory and while I dont have a weak stomach I feel that it was a little distracting and I could have done without it.

Plotwise it sort of reminded me of an adult version of The Incredible Hulk.

Into The Night
08-19-2009, 05:47 AM
It's interesting that video games got brought up in reference to this movie. The producers and director were working on a film adaption of the Halo series, but they dropped it to make this movie. I have yet to see it, but it better be good.

Paint_It_Black
08-21-2009, 03:46 AM
(or worse, a sequel)

They left a good reason to justify a sequel though. So if they choose to make one at least it won't be entirely without cause.

I thought it was good. I wasn't expecting so much action, but like has already been said, I'm not complaining. It was a nice mix of everything really.

Very impressive movie considering it was made for only 30 million dollars. I suppose having no big names helps with that.

The only thing I don't really like is I that it never explains why the ship became stranded there in the first place, or why the smaller ship detached and crashed. At the end we see that the mothership is clearly still operational, so why did they just sit there for 3 months before humans boarded it? I know that Christopher was scavenging fuel from parts of the ship, so clearly the ship had fuel and at least some crew members who knew how to operate it. Am I missing something? It's bugging me.

I'm also curious as to why the prawns didn't put up more of a fight for their rights. They clearly were willing to engage in violence, but they engaged in simple hand to hand combat instead of using their amazing weapons. They just sold those for cat food. Why?

These questions don't bother me too much, because the movie gave us no explanation and that's much better than giving us a bad one. But I would like an answer.

0r4ng3
08-21-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm also curious as to why the prawns didn't put up more of a fight for their rights. They clearly were willing to engage in violence, but they engaged in simple hand to hand combat instead of using their amazing weapons. They just sold those for cat food. Why?
I think it was explained that they were the drones and workers of their species, and thus not very bright. I'm not sure how much that could explain, though. I think it does explain how they let themselves get treated by humans the way they did for 20 years, despite the fact that they could tear one apart with their bare hands easily.

Endymion
08-21-2009, 08:53 PM
they hypothesized that they were all drone, it was never sure. also, if they were drones, why were they all tossed on a space ship, flung toward earth, and then left starving inside? sure it's nice to leave shit unexplained, but that's a mighty illogical sort of thing. and that one main alien dude clearly demonstrated that at least some of them have the intelligence to pilot their ship, and they already had the materials needed to refuel, so there's absolutely no reason for them to drift to a stop over a shitty fucking city and stay inside to die. and why was it that they came to earth? clearly it wasn't to communicate with us, because they just huddled inside and pissed themselves.

as you can tell, i didn't care for it much. mostly because of all the plot holes and just illogical premises.

Apathy
08-22-2009, 03:11 AM
You might see them as plotholes but I actually like that none of that was explained because i feel like it adds to the movie in only a way that unexplained mystery can.

But yeah, if i hadn't have liked the movie id be citing them as plotholes too.

It's interesting that video games got brought up in reference to this movie. The producers and director were working on a film adaption of the Halo series, but they dropped it to make this movie. I have yet to see it, but it better be good.

Actually halo got dropped because of the insane budget and the director moved onto this because he was working on it anyway before he even knew Halo existed.

But apparently Halo is now uncanceled. According to imdb Spielberg loves the script so blah blah blah.

nieh
08-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Endy: the hypothesis was that there were non-drones on board the ship initially running everything, but they died leaving the drones to fend for themselves for months. The thing is though, every segment that was done as an interview was telling simply mankind's assumptions about the aliens, many of which were simultaneously arrogant and ignorant so you never really get the whole story of what happened that put them there. They may have been planning on going to war with us, or they may not have even intended to come here at all and simply ran into trouble when the aliens in charge of the ship died and came here since it was the only thing within range that was inhabitable. Also, for most of the movie, I got the vibe that Christopher must have gone through the same shit as Wikus years earlier, which could explain why he appears to have a different mentality than the other aliens (unless he was just the one that was chosen to be expanded upon and they're all actually capable of that sort of thought and mankind just doesn't give them the chance to do so), why he always chooses to wear clothes, why he knows what's illegal about the evictions, why he knows that the fluid is able to cause that sort of mutation (because it happened to him as well), etc.

Paint_It_Black
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
But yeah, if i hadn't have liked the movie id be citing them as plotholes too.

I liked the movie yet still am able to point out the holes. Am I just special?

it happened to him as well

That is a fascinating suggestion that seems entirely plausible in the way you presented it. Very cool.

nieh
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Also, for most of the movie, I got the vibe that Christopher must have gone through the same shit as Wikus years earlier, which could explain why he appears to have a different mentality than the other aliens (unless he was just the one that was chosen to be expanded upon and they're all actually capable of that sort of thought and mankind just doesn't give them the chance to do so), why he always chooses to wear clothes, why he knows what's illegal about the evictions, why he knows that the fluid is able to cause that sort of mutation (because it happened to him as well), etc.

Bump, because I'm curious what people think about this. So far no one I've talked to has had this idea even cross their mind until I mentioned it to them.

wheelchairman
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I saw it yesterday and I absolutely loved watching it.

Endymion
08-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Bump, because I'm curious what people think about this. So far no one I've talked to has had this idea even cross their mind until I mentioned it to them.

if by went through shit, you mean was a human that was transformed -- couldn't be. he knew how to make the fluid, how many moons their home planet had, etc.

nieh
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
if by went through shit, you mean was a human that was transformed -- couldn't be. he knew how to make the fluid, how many moons their home planet had, etc.

He lived with them for 20 years and had access to all the machines they had on the planet, he could've picked up on most of that over time. Plus, he FOUND the fluid, the only thing he did to it was add a drop of blood (I think?) once he got a full vial.

barangatang
08-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Do you think that really explains why he was so butthurt when he saw the tortured prawns?

nieh
08-28-2009, 09:31 PM
After 20 years of being pretty much tormented by the species he was born to, and being taken in by the prawns, it isn't at all unlikely that he would consider the prawns to be "his people" as opposed to humans. I mean, you saw how the prawns jumped to the defense of Wikus once they realized what was happening and the military guy was about to kill him. It was like he was their brother.
I just find the idea of him being a human in the past fits a lot better with the logic of the movie than if he was actually a smart alien and was there from the beginning. If that were the case, they never would've wound up stranded in that situation in the first place and he wouldn't have had to wait until they got on the ground to start collecting fluid from their machines, seeing as how the ship probably has a virtually endless supply of machines on board they could've taken it from, considering they were able to eventually collect enough from nothing more than scraps that have made their way to earth. If he was human, anything that could be brought up about "how did he know this" or "how did he do this" could easily be explained by the length of time he'd been living with the prawns.

brothadave79
08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I just find the idea of him being a human in the past fits a lot better with the logic of the movie than if he was actually a smart alien and was there from the beginning.

At least, it WOULD fit a lot better if that explanation didn't need yet another prawn to make the same cocktail that Christopher did.

wheelchairman
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
It just seems to be the fuel that ship uses, not abundant but not apparently impossible to find.

Adriann
08-30-2009, 04:34 AM
I thought it was weird that the fuel can also turn people into the aliens as well? and I didn't like that the first half of the movie was randomly a documentary.
Other than that, I fuuckkinggloooveethiiisssmoovviiee and will probably see it in theaters again!

KHWHD
08-30-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm going to see this this week, I'm pretty excited.

offspringer24
08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't see it having a video game adaptation. Usually the movies that get turned into games are the kids movies and the comic book movies. I can't recall anything else that's been turned into a video game lately.

Also, I agree the movie is really good, etc.

scarface? the godfather? bourne? aliens? :D

looking forward to seeing this film though, i was watching a poor copy the other day...doesnt seem to start well for me, but will watch it all the same

Tomasisko
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
great movie, I really liked it