PDA

View Full Version : I can't sing for SHIT!!!

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
even if it saved my life.
Is there any way to fix that problem?

Static_Martyr
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I know how you feel :o And really, it depends on what the problem is, exactly; I've heard that it's possible to improve your vocal range. Also, voice training helps some people; learning to make your voice hit the right notes.

If you just have a weird-sounding voice, then, well, I don't really know what you'd do....that's my problem :D I imagine you could cover it up by trying to write music that goes with your style, maybe? 0.0

randman21
08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Haha, I'm not sure. You may want to get some voice lessons, and see what they think. That is, if they don't kick you out first.

Omni
08-17-2009, 06:27 PM
The "weird" voice thing isn't a problem. Having an unusual voice is the most important thing, in my part. Look at Brian Johnson and Billy Corgan. You think those two would ever have a shot on American Idol if they weren't famous?

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
i think i just strained my voice in 10 minutes by trying to sing have you ever and half truism
is it possible to sound sound worse than dexter(just in 10 mins) when he was in charlotte? because i listened to the recording bill did and i sound terrible

edit: i got that weakness feeling and my throat itches

dexter12296566
08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
I used to think I couldn't sing but then I sang at a school meeting and the voice teacher loved me. I am now the lead singer in our school song.

SMASHedTHEignition
08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
well im a lead singer and i cant sing for shit, but my voice has def changed since i started smoking...

Greg-K's-PENIS
08-17-2009, 08:56 PM
i try to sing, but never infront or around anyone.
4 music at school we have to sing by ourselfs, im singing coap next
i hope i dont ruin it :o

coke_a_holic
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Honestly? Record yourself singing things while playing guitar or something. Just keep at it until you find something that sounds good. That's how I learned that I sound less nasally and geeky when I scream... But I also learned that when I don't scream, I have the ability to sound acceptable by my own standards.

Just keep listening to yourself until you're comfortable with it and you've found a good spot. And remember, it's not a JOB, it's supposed to be FUN.

_Lost_
08-18-2009, 02:27 AM
i think i just strained my voice in 10 minutes by trying to sing have you ever and half truism
The fact of the matter is that this happens to pretty much everyone when trying to sing the offspring.

ESPECIALLY with Half-Truism. I had the worst time trying to record my part for that song in the covers album. I can do it now cause my range has gone up, but this time last year I never could have pulled it off.

And I've heard Dexter recordings that sounded worse.

Try singing things in a lower range. The Offspring (in its original form) should be reserved for high tenors and mid level sopranos. Covers and stuff are great though cause you can change the key and what not.

drummerbecca
08-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I'd say if you really want to improve your range then keep at it. I'd deliberately scream my head off in my car on my way home from work sometimes, just to try and get some kind of grit in my voice, as it's kinda whiney and annoying. My throat was completely wrecked for a while but when you get past that, it's amazing the difference it makes to your range. It's true with singing as it is with everything else - the more you do it, the better you'll get.

ad8
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm with most of the replies in here. Whenever I try to sing along to Offspring music my throat will hurt in less than 10 minutes. But when I sing my own songs I can easily go on for about 20 minutes. Also I would never have been able to sing along to Offspring songs if I hadn't practised a bit since my voice is a deep one. It gets higher with practice, though.

dexter12296566
08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I am the only female singer at my school that can sing bass vocals. In class I sing an octave lower than the Alto 2s because we don't have music for bass vocals. I can sing high too but the class needed a bass singer because our only male member quit.

T-6005
08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
It's hardly a problem if you can't sing. Shit, I can't sing unless I catch myself on a really, REALLY good day.

Make sure to warm up at least a little first, for example. Then mess around with a few songs to discover your natural range, and try singing in that for a while before trying to stretch it.

Smash_Returns
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I couldn't sing until I got Rock Band. Now I can "kind of" sing, but I still don't really like my voice, but I can sort of hit notes.

Outerspaceman21
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I really don't like my singing voice all that much, but I've never really tried it aloud. I've found that I'm pretty good at tones, as shown to me in my music theory class.

SåS
08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Its all practice man, Im 15 and i still have a whiny 12 year old voice, but i use that to my advantage in Emo/Pop Punk singing, And Singing with a guitar usually makes you hit right notes, becuase your less focusing on trying to sing like somebody else and sing to the notes to your guitar, thats how you develop you own style, and you dont have to be a great singer, just find something that works and go with it, i mean look at the singer from the B52..wait dont, thats a bad example :P

SMASHedTHEignition
08-22-2009, 03:29 AM
it doesnt hurt my voice singing offspring songs, for some reason

Hypno Toad
08-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Just because you can't sing like dexter, doesn't mean you can't sing. Anything pother than opera is technically bad singing, so when it comes down to it, there really is no bad singing. In terms of his voice, dexter holland doesn't have a pretty or skilled singing voice, but his voice still sounds good with the music.

_Lost_
08-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Anything pother than opera is technically bad singing

I generally agree with what you said, except this is so wrong its painful to look at.

Good singing is judged by form, intonation, range, resonance, not straining/forcing your voice, the ability to blend your vocal breaks in so they aren't noticible, good breathing, and sounding pleasant. You don't have to sing opera to do that and no singer fits into what would be a perfect definition of good singing. When not belting, I'm very by-the-books when it comes to the technical aspects of singing. When belting, my form is not as good, but I still sing well.

Like its been said, equating being able to sing Offspring songs comfortably and well is no gauge for singing ability. Most singers have difficulty with it because of style, range, tone, etc. Like an operatic soprano could hit the notes, but who wants to hear that??

Dexter Holland is a decent singer. He's not particularly skilled at it and he has terrible form, but, barring bad days which we all have, he can hit the right notes and get the job done.

Even if you can't always hit the notes or you get a little off key sometimes, that doesn't automatically make you a bad singer. It just means you have to work at it a little. Most rock singers, when you take away the background noise, sound bad if not terrible. David Lee Roth sounds bad ass in Van Halen, but my dad talks about hearing some leaked vocal tracks a few years back from final recordings and says that he was all over the place a lot of the time, but you can't tell with the music.

Just find a sound that works for you and pretty much anyone could front a band. :)

SeeYouAgain
08-30-2009, 04:39 AM

I can sing but I ain't no Dexter Holland nor Christina Aguilera though.

Sure, just be confident in yourself and sing your lungs out and rock!

ThunderPX
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Do not try to sing Offspring songs. I mean, even Dexter can't sing them at the original height, so what's the point in trying (unless you're, like, Sting or something)?

I have a friend who used to be really bad at singing, like, he couldn't hit a single note right and it was completely hilarious. He's improved simply by practising a lot, though. And don't worry about your voice sounding weird; I've come to realise half the sounds people make in rock music are completely ridiculous, but they go ahead and do it with pride anyway, and that's what makes it automatically awesome.

Static_Martyr
09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I can sing but I ain't no Dexter Holland nor Christina Aguilera though.

Yes, but some would consider that a good thing....:cool:

SeeYouAgain
09-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Yes, but some would consider that a good thing....:cool:

Absolutely. :cool:

Blackball_
09-05-2009, 11:56 AM
singing is hard!

like.. you dont pick up a guitar and bust out some song, you need to learn to play the notes, etc, first.

but voice is harder in that you need to make your instrument first (as opposed to picking a guitar off a shelf), training all the muscles and breathing and making a nice tone that wont damage your vocal chords, before you can think about singing the right notes. most people skip that first important part.

dexter12296566
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
To see how I sing for myself I actually taped myself. I have no opinion yet. I haven't watched the tape yet.

Llamas
09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
A few people have posted in this thread just talking about how they also can't sing, but this really irritated me:

I used to think I couldn't sing but then I sang at a school meeting and the voice teacher loved me. I am now the lead singer in our school song.

I am the only female singer at my school that can sing bass vocals. In class I sing an octave lower than the Alto 2s because we don't have music for bass vocals. I can sing high too but the class needed a bass singer because our only male member quit.

To see how I sing for myself I actually taped myself. I have no opinion yet. I haven't watched the tape yet.

Three posts in the thread, all three are about yourself - nothing about the thread topic. And two of them are rather somewhat bragging. How incredibly selfish and self-absorbed. This thread is about someone who can't sing and wants to know how to improve his voice, and someone else just comes in and makes three posts about how well she sings? So rude...

Alison
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Three posts in the thread, all three are about yourself - nothing about the thread topic. And two of them are rather somewhat bragging. How incredibly selfish and self-absorbed. This thread is about someone who can't sing and wants to know how to improve his voice, and someone else just comes in and makes three posts about how well she sings? So rude...

Haha, I was also going to say this. It's like...nobody payed attention to her the first time she said it....so she had another go...didnt work...and then again.
Nobody cares about your deep bass man voice.

randman21
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Haha, I noticed too. I would like to hear your masculine voice, though, dexnums.

Free?
09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Haha, I was also going to say this. It's like...nobody payed attention to her the first time she said it....so she had another go...didnt work...and then again.
Nobody cares about your deep bass man voice.

that was sweet =D

OffsLady#1
09-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Why, yes there is a solution to your singing problem. :)

And a great way of fixing it too! :D

Exibit A- Be Confident.
Exibit B- Be Yourself.
Exibit C- Be Dynamic.
Exibit D- Rock On!!!!!

Now, that will help you get an AWESOME start to saving your life! :cool:

Aren't I so Rad? xD *trust In me*

BKDH_1984
09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Why, yes there is a solution to your singing problem. :)

And a great way of fixing it too! :D

Exibit A- Be Confident.
Exibit B- Be Yourself.
Exibit C- Be Dynamic.
Exibit D- Rock On!!!!!

Now, that will help you get an AWESOME start to saving your life! :cool:

Aren't I so Rad? xD *trust In me*

This .