PDA

View Full Version : Black Gives Way To Blue

Smash_Returns
08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Tried finding the old thread, but it's gone.

Now, we've heard 2 songs from it. Thoughts?

I personally think "Check My Brain" is a great, great song, and I already had given my input on "A Looking In View"

September is definitely going to break the bank for me with CD releases. (This one, Backspacer, and The Resistance)

Omni
08-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Both songs roxored the soxors. I don't know what all the bitching is about, if you can't tell from the album title "Black Gives Way to Blue" and song titled "A Looking in View" that this album is going to rock, then you're just hopeless.

cool 2 hate 681
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
im really looking forward to the new album and im hoping to record their full set when they play this weekend i hope they play a new song off black gives way to blue

Rooster
09-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Bump. Anyone getting excited about this album? I'll approach it with an open mind...

Oh, and by the way, Pearl Jam's Backspacer leaked (since both Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam are grunge bands i thought someone might be interested in hearing this...). Damn, Black Gives Way To Blue could leak already too, i'm sick of waiting...

Rooster
09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Great news guys! I heard Black Gives Way To Blue finally leaked. I'm downloading it to check if it's real, i can't wait any longer...

edit: It IS real! Yippie ki yay, motherfucker! First impression: it deffinitely sounds like Alice. Vocal harmonies are amazing, DuVall does a great job, and on some song you actually get the impression of listening to Layne Staley, at least i do. While nobody can replace Layne, DuVall isn't even trying to, but the result is still great.

And the album deffinitely sounds like grunge, and i mean REAL grunge, not like post grunge shit. It sounds heavy as fuck, like an album that was recorded sometime during the middle '90s, but somehow never got released. Layne would be proud.

edit2: It's everything i hoped it would be, however i have one complaint - DuVall should sing more. Cantrell sings lead vocals on most tracks, DuVall is taking lead only on 3 tracks. I guess they wanted to hold him back because he's the new guy in the band, maybe they were worried about fans disliking the album too much because of not being familiar enough with the new lead vocalist, OR perhaps the reason is just that Cantrell took over more songs because of being the main songwriter and his experiences with his solo albums (or it felt more personal to him, because of the album being a tribute to his friend Layne). If the reason was the second than i can understand, but if the correct answer is the first point, then i think they were worriying for nothing. DuVall does a great job on here.

Rooster
09-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Ok, i bought this album today. And DAMN it was worth it. I love the artwork, especially the creepy photo of a man holding a heart in his hand.

And the album is amazing, i thought so the first time i heard it, and even though i liked it a lot then it even grew on me. There's a lot of metal, but you can't deny there is a lot of grunge in there also. The best album in quite some time, and the best grunge release in years.

Alice In Chains, welcome back.

Little_Miss_1565
09-30-2009, 07:15 AM
I love this record, and they killed it live.

Superdope
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
The first lines are so true.

Hope
A new beginning
Time
Time to start living like just before we died

Rooster
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
The first lines are so true.

Hope
A new beginning
Time
Time to start living like just before we died

I know what you mean, i thought the same thing here.

I can't get over how much DuVall sounds like Layne in Last Of My Kind at around 4:35 mark. And it's not the only moment when i get the feeling Layne is still with them, there are quite a few of those moments on the album, but this is one of the more obvious ones...