PDA

View Full Version : Best Tarantino film.

Vera
01-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Vote, motherfucker.

The Talking Pie
01-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Pulp Fiction. Only just over Reservoir Dogs.

Lars
01-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I really want to enter negative votes for Kill Bill.

4eh
01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
totally agree with talking pie

Vera
01-22-2005, 04:39 PM
What the fuck, Lars?

Noodles is gay
01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Pulp Fiction. Only just over Reservoir Dogs.

Same here - just couldn't decide; mouse cursor hovered over each in turn.

Pulp Fiction is marginly better.

Didn't like kill bill too much though - was good but not that good

Lars
01-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Well I thought the first was was really bad, I would have to re-watch it to tell you why. I can say though that I didn't have as much trouble sitting through and watching the second one.

Moose
01-22-2005, 06:24 PM
i liked kill bill, didnt see the second one yet, but you cant take that movie as watching reality. its supposed to be like fantasy and dreamlike.

Tired_Of_You
01-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I voted for Pulp Fiction.

Mota Boy
01-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Kill Bill was awesome, but only superficially. Pulp Fiction was a movie with soul. I much prefer it to Resevoir Dogs. I find the characters and the wild events of the story to be much more memorable and quotable.

HornyPope
01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
No movie offers more quotes than True Romance however.

"Bamaloo, you were perfect. Like a ninja? Like a ninja!"

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I didn't like Kill Bill. You know a movies bad when you have to keep asking yourself "Where the hell is the director going with this!" And now let the flaming begain! :mad:

Endymion
01-23-2005, 12:12 AM
...and quotable.
i still use "english motherfucker--do you speak it?" yeah, came in handy when i use to live in little saigon.

ThatOneGuy123
01-23-2005, 12:16 AM
another good movie that he actually didnt direct but he co-owned from Takinaru Hishokara is Hero it stars Jet Lee and many other professional fighters

Endymion
01-23-2005, 12:30 AM
hero was so fucking bad.

Mota Boy
01-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Ah, I need to see Hero. A friend of mine was telling me how bad the translation was from Chinese to English, but that I'd need to see it myself to fully appreciate it. Still, I have high hopes.

meaning_of_life
01-23-2005, 01:37 AM
resovoir dogs owns. tarantino scares me a bit though with his obsession with unrealistic blood effects.

Subsidal
01-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Pulp Fiction! I love it when Bruce Willis shot John Travolta!

wliethof
01-23-2005, 03:36 AM
pulp fiction was fun

Vera
01-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Justin, that just proves how well you managed to miss everything that was essential to the movie.

I think Pulp is better as film, what with the multiple storylines going in different directions, meeting, crossing and of course, it has a bigger budget, so it all works out nicely, but the general themes, the performances and everything just make Reservoir Dogs my favourite Tarantino film. So I think Pulp is better, but I like Reservoir more.

Vera
01-23-2005, 07:05 AM
I really don't think Tarantino's main objective in making Kill Bill was to shock audiences with violence. The violence in it is movie violence at its best or worst, it's an action ballet with some unnatural blood sprays.

BuddyHolly
01-23-2005, 07:26 AM
I really like the part he wrote for the movie called Four Rooms, it's just sooo funny. But of the films wich are included in the poll i would pick Resevoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction is a great film too. I haven't seen Kill Bill but I don't like the parts I've already seen in all those tv-specials about the 2 Kill Bill films. And True Romance is okay but it's not really that great.

marty
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Pulp Fiction easily.

Resevoir Dogs- good, but way too much is ripped right from the Chinese film, "City On Fire"

Pulp Fiction steals stuff too, but the way it is presented gives it more of a Homage feal to it. Film Noir anyone?

marty ( and yes, im a film studies student)

ey-drien
01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
That's hard! I love Tarantino!

Maybe I would choose Pulp Fiction as his best film, but I don't thinks that's an easily decision... :rolleyes:

marty
01-23-2005, 11:22 AM
...crossing and of course, it has a bigger budget, so it all works out nicely,

Tarantino deliberatly wanted to make Reservoir Dogs on the smallest budget he could. it almost didnt get made cos the budget kept rising.

Also it was Harvey Keitel who read the script and plugged it, and got other actors interested :cool:

I really don't think Tarantino's main objective in making Kill Bill was to shock audiences with violence. The violence in it is movie violence at its best or worst, it's an action ballet with some unnatural blood sprays.

Fraid not, as with every Tarantino directed film, it is either HEAVILY influenced by his favourite films/ directors or a straight up hommage to them. i.e. he loves Sergio Leonne's films and also loves Chinese Kung-Fu films, thus he made "a movie that's for me, everyone is along for the ride. if people dont like it then they can fuck off" :D

To briefly explain the ideas behind Pulp Fiction, a great French New-Wave director called Jean Luc Goddard once said "A film should have a begining, a middle and an end. But not neccesarily in that order" Tarantino has used this as sort of a mantra to his film-making.
The French New-wave directors were also paying hommage in their films to the American Film Noir movies of the 1940's and 50's. and what is Pulp Fiction? A modern-day Film Noir (although some argue it is impossible to have a Film Noir filmed in colour)

but i think that's enough film talk for now :rolleyes:

marty

Vera
01-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Tarantino was not a film-maker when Reservoir got made. I doubt he could've gotten a huge budget for it. I know how Keitel got involved in the project and helped with the film's finances etc.

I don't really understand why Tarantino would've wanted to keep it a small budget film. From what I understood, it was a REALLY small budget film. I mean, actors had to wear their own clothes at times and crap. If the budget can't afford a jacket for Chris Penn, it has to be pretty small budget. And not because Tarantino wanted it to. Just because the film didn't have enough people financing it. So it stayed small budget.

Why would any young movie-maker just starting out, making his first real movie, deliberately try to keep it a really small budget? WTF?

I also know about the things that Kill Bill is a "tribute" to and what influences it. You're not the only one who watched the DVD extras, buddy.

Also, I wouldn't call Pulp a modern-day Film Noir. At least not plotwise. Or imagerywise, either. Actually, I really don't see why you consider it Film Noir. Apart from the focus on criminals and modern day mobsters, that is. But that's just it, today everyone's making films with crooks in it and it doesn't mean that it's a tribute to Film Noir. No character in any Tarantino film has reminded me of Sam Spade or similar Film Noir characters.

Apart from Mia, maybe, she might be a pretty typical femme fatale.

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Pulp Fiction! I love it when Bruce Willis shot John Travolta!
I hated that part, I made me sad. But it was also funny. I had mixed emotions at that part.

Anya82
01-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I just love the photography in Kill bill...
colors.. contrast... niiiiiiiice :)

Das Werewolf
01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
The best Tarantino film has to be any film that he's had absolutely bugger all to do with.

Subsidal
01-30-2005, 02:55 AM
I hated that part, I made me sad. But it was also funny. I had mixed emotions at that part.
To me it's the only reason what makes the movie worth to watch :D