PDA

View Full Version : New Offspring fan

Kerrang
08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi, my name's Alex, I registered the day after I listened to Americana for the first time. Let's just say that it amazed me, and never in my life will I forget the first time I listened to it. My very first listen to the Offspring was in one of my favorite video games of all time, Crazy Taxi. All I Want and Way Down The Line are in the game's soundtrack. I liked the songs so much that I decided to look them up on YouTube. After listening to the two tracks, I looked up their discography and found out about Americana. Found it at mall, bought it, loved it.

I don't think you should call me a pure Offspring fan YET, though. I've only heard Americana, a handful of songs from Ixnay on The Hombre, several tracks from Smash, the song Da Hui, and some Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. It'd be awesome if the veterans and fans here could help me out and turn me into a true fan. :)

I'm also a HUGE Green Day fan.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-27-2009, 05:12 PM

you kinda messed it up when you said that.
and crazy taxi is an awesome game. too bad sega went broke but they keep making new ones and i heard crazy taxi 4 is coming out and it will have internet play

Kerrang
08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
never heard of the pre american idiot days, have you?

randman21
08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Welcome. First of all, let me say this is probably in the wrong section. It would be the most appropriate here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2), but it's no biggie.

We have a lot in common. Crazy Taxi wasn't the first time I'd heard the Offspring, but one of the first. That was in 2001, but it wasn't until '05 that I became the big fan I am today. Americana is also my favorite album. My suggestion to you is, instead of listening to their songs sporadically, go to the "music" page of the main site and listen to all of the albums in order, starting from the self-titled. I did this, and THAT is the day I won't forget. I couldn't believe how good so many of their songs were. I thought they were mainly a joke band, but boy was I wrong. Anyway, it gives you a sense of history, and it's fun to listen to the evolution of the band.

08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
never heard of the pre american idiot days, have you?

i have. i actually like some songs from american idiot like jesus of suburbia, homecoming, st. jimmy. and from their new album i ONLY like american eulogy, last night on earth, and horseshoes and grenades.

but overall they suck

T-6005
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Offspring vs. Green Day?

What is this, 1999?

RageAndLov
08-27-2009, 06:02 PM
If you liked American, just wait till you get the chance to listen to Ignition! First you will perhaps don't like it too much, but after a few listenings, you become aware of how awesome it is.

Free?
08-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Uhm. Let me break your arm so you'll become a hardcore Offspring fan.
:rolleyes:

Lizardus
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
[ask me about our daily beatings]

Outerspaceman21
08-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Green Day just plain sucks. Everything post-2000 is absolutely terrible. They will never make something that will compare to their pre-2000 days. Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod are great albums. You should check out those CDs because they make their new stuff look like crap, which it is. Thats just my 2 cents.

Americana is a good CD, looking past Pretty Fly and Get a Job which were just beaten to death by the radio. You can't go wrong any of Offspring's stuff because each album is unique in it's own way. My personal favorites are Ignition, Smash, Splinter, and Raf,Rag. Their mid-stuff is good, but doesn't really compare to their early and later stuff in my own opinion.

Bands I would recommend to you, A Wilhelm Scream, No Trigger, Pour Habit, Bad Brains, pm me for more bands. I have shit that will blow away what you believe is music.

PedroACastro
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
i loved crazy taxy cause of the song "all i want" and i didn't really knew the offspring back then but that song just made the game awesome. as for starting on listening to the offspring you should try ignition. some songs from the album i just loved the first time i listened like "burn it up" "kick him when he's down" and "session". i like some green day songs from the new album like viva la gloria (little girl) and horseshoes and handgrenades

ConspiracyofMegs
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
It'd be awesome if the veterans and fans here could help me out and turn me into a true fan. :)

First off, don't be a HUGE Green Day fan.
Next, listen to Offspring and be a HUGE Offspring fan.

Pretty simple.

08-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Green Day just plain sucks. Everything post-2000 is absolutely terrible. They will never make something that will compare to their pre-2000 days. Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod are great albums. You should check out those CDs because they make their new stuff look like crap, which it is. Thats just my 2 cents.

Americana is a good CD, looking past Pretty Fly and Get a Job which were just beaten to death by the radio. You can't go wrong any of Offspring's stuff because each album is unique in it's own way. My personal favorites are Ignition, Smash, Splinter, and Raf,Rag. Their mid-stuff is good, but doesn't really compare to their early and later stuff in my own opinion.

Bands I would recommend to you, A Wilhelm Scream, No Trigger, Pour Habit, Bad Brains, pm me for more bands. I have shit that will blow away what you believe is music.

i strongly recommend Minor Threat

Alex101
08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi, my name's Alex, I registered the day after I listened to Americana for the first time. Let's just say that it amazed me, and never in my life will I forget the first time I listened to it. My very first listen to the Offspring was in one of my favorite video games of all time, Crazy Taxi. All I Want and Way Down The Line are in the game's soundtrack. I liked the songs so much that I decided to look them up on YouTube. After listening to the two tracks, I looked up their discography and found out about Americana. Found it at mall, bought it, loved it.

I don't think you should call me a pure Offspring fan YET, though. I've only heard Americana, a handful of songs from Ixnay on The Hombre, several tracks from Smash, the song Da Hui, and some Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. It'd be awesome if the veterans and fans here could help me out and turn me into a true fan. :)

Wow, your first name is the same as mine. By the way, welcome!

Kerrang
08-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Hah, wow. One little comment from me about Green Day starts a wave of haters lashing out and bitching about a band.

That's awfully 12-ish of you guys.

ConspiracyofMegs
08-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey, you're the one who asked for help, dude.

We're trying to point you in the right direction. ;)

Kerrang
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Dude, what you're trying to convey is seriously fucked up. You're telling me to only listen to one band, to fixate my mind on the Offspring and forget about Green Day, Nirvana, and Radiohead? Bullshit. If you don't want to agree with the bands I like, I honestly don't care. If you want to argue over it, too fucking bad. Take your complaints to another thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Offspring, but not to the point where i become a 21st century Nazi about it. Other bands need some love, too.

jacknife737
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the boards Kerrang, Americana was the album that got me into the band years ago, it's still one my my favorite albums.

also, jesusfuckingchrist, everybody stop arguing about Green Day. You don't need to throw a hissy fit because one guy briefly mentions them.

Rag Doll
08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I also started listening to them with Americana, but that was back when Pretty Fly first came out. lol i feel old. Try listening to the rest of Rise and Fall and try Ixnay in it's entirety.

Also, guys, there's a green day thread in other bands. Keep the conversation about green day over there or it might get deleted. Just a friendly warning.... =)

Oxygene
08-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Offspring vs. Green Day?

What is this, 1999?

no, 1995

besides what the fuck is wrong with liking Green Day... I like Green Day. Anyone care to critisize my "Offspring fandom" in the light.. I also like American Idiot as well... this new album is quite boring, but so was warning so who cares?

_Lost_
08-28-2009, 01:16 AM
First off, congrats on your offpsring awakening. Most here look back fondly on whatever moment it was that lead them in the offspring direction. (I won't call it the "right" direction, because obviously the Offspring doesn't click with everybody)

Really give Ixnay a good listen. Thats my favorite album as a whole (but my favorite song is End of the Line from Americana). Its got both the funny side and the depth of the Offspring. What Randy suggested is a good idea. To really get a feel of where these guys came from and how they developed into what we hear today, you've got to hear everything or at least most of it. I understand some of the dislike people here have for Americana because of the overplay of Pretty Fly for a White Guy and Why Don't You Get a Job?, but its a damn good album and one that appeals to a lot of audiences, so it really is a good starting place to be introduced to them. Some of their music really is a bit of an aquired taste. Starting with an album like this one has a lot of qualities that can relate to old Offspring and new Offspring, so going from there into other albums transitions a lot better than starting with Ignition, loving it, and then trying to listen to Rise and Fall.

Hah, wow. One little comment from me about Green Day starts a wave of haters lashing out and bitching about a band.

We get a lot of that here.

People get off the "hating Green Day" bandwagon please. They are a damn good band and huge for a reason. Just because I don't like The Vines, that doesn't mean I have a hissy fit whenever they are mentioned in relation to a band I like.

AllIn All, please remove that annoying bastardization of a quote from your first post in this thread. Its entirely unnecessary and a little on the taboo side round these parts.

Oxygene
08-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Saying a band "plain sucks" plain sucks. I think Nimrod is a shitty album I like American Idiot much better.. it's a question of taste. I hate this artificial green day OR offspring argument bullshit attitude. Yeah Green Day can't hold a candle to Offspring for sure, but that doesn't make them a bad band. Fuck no band comes even close, not even the greatests

Americana is a good CD, looking past Pretty Fly and Get a Job which were just beaten to death by the radio.

I have absolutley zero problem with pretty fly, and a Get a Job is and has always been one of my favorite Offspring "fun songs". What on earth would posess someone to listen to the radio anyway?

RageAndLov
08-28-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure there are more suitable threads to bash Green Day in than this one.

_Lost_
08-28-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure there are more suitable threads to bash Green Day in than this one.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34972

Outerspaceman21
08-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Saying a band "plain sucks" plain sucks. I think Nimrod is a shitty album I like American Idiot much better.. it's a question of taste. I hate this artificial green day OR offspring argument bullshit attitude. Yeah Green Day can't hold a candle to Offspring for sure, but that doesn't make them a bad band. Fuck no band comes even close, not even the greatests

You are right. It is a matter of taste. I apologize.

I have absolutley zero problem with pretty fly, and a Get a Job is and has always been one of my favorite Offspring "fun songs". What on earth would posess someone to listen to the radio anyway?

Ever been in a car with a broken CD player, or better yet had no CD player?

Oxygene
08-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Ever been in a car with a broken CD player, or better yet had no CD player?

Only for the past 12 years... why do you ask?

To me that's kinda like saying "Why did I porpusly have nazis kick my head in and rape my ass? Ever been bored waiting for a bus...?"

SMASHedTHEignition
08-28-2009, 03:10 AM
If you liked American, just wait till you get the chance to listen to Ignition! First you will perhaps don't like it too much, but after a few listenings, you become aware of how awesome it is.

yep i agree, i bought it cos i liked the cover evn tho all th other cds were there, and i love LAPD, listened to it once, meh, listeneed to it constantly, best album.

ive had it for years now, and it truely rules

but if youre new, heres a few of my fav tracks u might like:

get it right(best song ever)
LAPD
Dirty Magic
Jennifer lost the war
ill be waiting
nitro
bad habit
smash
meaning of life
mota
vultures
huck it
takes me nowher
SIFU
LHIFRB

and if you wana nowhere to download every offspring song, click on Holland25's siganture and you can get any song

Jesus
08-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Both bands are awesome. Next.

Offspring vs. Green Day?

What is this, 1999?

more like 1994, 1997, 1999, 2001 and 2004 combined

LikeHemlock
08-28-2009, 03:43 AM
LHIFRB

I spent good two minutes trying to figure out what you meant by that. Acronyms may only confuse the new fan. :D

Free?
08-28-2009, 03:48 AM

He's right, guyses.

So, Alex, didn't you already download the whole discography? Get it, love it, then go buy it, then love it again. Or you can start from the 3rd step, up to you. It's all gold, however in my opinion if you'll decide to discover Offspring by albums, not all at once, do it with Ixnay - Smash - Ignition - Self-Titled and the rest.

Oxygene
08-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I spent good two minutes trying to figure out what you meant by that. Acronyms may only confuse the new fan. :D

nope sometimes it's confusing... I mean songs like get a job or come out and play (wdygaj, coap) are easy but some random songs like WAWHF or whatever :)

It's hard to decipher sometimes

randman21
08-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Heh, I find it extremely fun to try to decipher the acronyms. And this new album, with its almost Fall Out Boy-esque titles provide me with that much more enjoyment. :D

Gotta say guys, I'm extremely disappointed in anyone who talked bad about Green Day in this thread. I was gonna joke that I refuse to help him because he's a GD fan, but what happened here was beyond lame.

Oh, and another reason I suggested listening to their discography in order is to keep track of what you've already listened to. You don't want to miss a song because you skipped around an album. But what others have said is also cool. :)

ConspiracyofMegs
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Dude, what you're trying to convey is seriously fucked up. You're telling me to only listen to one band, to fixate my mind on the Offspring and forget about Green Day, Nirvana, and Radiohead? Bullshit. If you don't want to agree with the bands I like, I honestly don't care. If you want to argue over it, too fucking bad. Take your complaints to another thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Offspring, but not to the point where i become a 21st century Nazi about it. Other bands need some love, too.

I never told you to forget about Green Day or any other band for that matter, I merely gave you my opinion and told you not to be a "HUGE fan". You asked for it, take it or leave it.

Some more advice, re-fucking-lax.

tayluhhx3
08-28-2009, 07:49 PM
congrats on discovering the offspring, man.
trust me, your defintely not making a mistake of listening to them! :)

Kerrang
08-28-2009, 09:04 PM
When i've heard all of the Offspring albums, the next band i'm going to look into is Bad Religion. Good choice?

randman21
08-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm extremely biased against Bad Religion. I imagine they'd be a good choice for the average punk fan, though. I'd steer you more into the direction of NOFX pre-2000-ish.

08-28-2009, 09:24 PM
When i've heard all of the Offspring albums, the next band i'm going to look into is Bad Religion. Good choice?

Minor Threat cuz bad religion gets old cuz they never change.
four year strong are a fun group to listen to but very weird. devildriver and 2pac are very good artists to listen to. go in those directions if you want

EDIT:I KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!! YOU WANT SEX PISTOLS!!!
HELL YEAH!!!!
and since you like americana don't skip feelings because it is one of the best!!! especially the solo

cool 2 hate 681
08-28-2009, 09:56 PM

yeah i would say that's a good choice good first albums by them are recipe for hate stranger than fiction or the gray race

Kerrang
08-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Oh yeah, and Less Than Jake.

Budzy
08-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Great choice. After reading all the Bad Religion references in these forums I decided to look them up on Wikipedia to find their hits, I downloaded 'Infected', loved it. I decided to download a whole lot more of their stuff, bought their latest album and have been hooked ever since.

But Rise Against is better.

Kerrang
08-29-2009, 04:58 AM
^Prayer of The Refugee is fucking ADDICTIVE.

Aria
08-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Green Day lost me after Nimrod. American Idiot was kinda too political for me, it bore me to tears. Although there are one or two nice songs in there.. I used to love GD when they had Dookie and stuffs.

I achieved Offspring 'enlightenment' (lol!) when my brother blasted Ixnay in his room when it first came out. I think I was 12 at that time, and now I'm 26. Now I'm still looking around for Ignition. I know they did re-mastered it, but they don't have it where I live.. I got Smash from a flea market a year ago after looking for it for ages.. It was the happiest day of my life.. Haha..:p

Outerspaceman21
08-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Their last two album were alright. At first, I really loved like every track, then I got tired of it really quick. Siren Songs for the Counter Culture, however, is a good album. Life Less Frightening, in my own opinion, is their best song. Also, if you are a fan of Rise Against, I'd recommend Strike Anywhere.

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Welcome Kerrang! I got into them with Ixnay but Americana is what sealed the deal for me. Welcome to the forums :)

And hey guys, please keep being juvenile and off-topic by slamming Green Day apropos of nothing so I can edit your messages and embarrass you. :P

dexter12296566
08-29-2009, 01:35 PM

How can you like Offspring and then like their competetor. How did you go sooo long without hearing The Offspring?

Budzy
08-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Once you get into all their other stuff you'll listen to that less, I found.
My favourite song is Torches.

Budzy
08-29-2009, 09:18 PM
How can you like Offspring and then like their competetor. How did you go sooo long without hearing The Offspring?

I like Greenday. Their music is mostly good. The fact that The Offspring have to compete with them is their problem. I just enjoy whatever the two bands come up with.

Outerspaceman21
08-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I remember when I heard Americana when I was 9 years old. I got the CD for my birthday and brought it into show and tell. My teacher was baffled that parents would buy their 9 year old son a CD with explict contect on it.

Maybe thats where my life went off track. I wanted to be a docter before I got the CD, now I want to a musician/writer. yeah...

Kerrang
08-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't care much for competition. I love them both equally and would be hard-pressed to choose only one.

_Lost_
09-02-2009, 12:36 AM
This this oh go this! 90% of the time I see it referred to as Rock Bottom. I recognize a few acronyms instantly: coap, simu (or sifu whichever), wdygaj, cgmhay, co1, and a couple others I guess. Beyond that, they do nothing but confuse me.

I'm extremely biased against Bad Religion. I imagine they'd be a good choice for the average punk fan, though. I'd steer you more into the direction of NOFX pre-2000-ish.
I thought you liked Bad Religion Randy...??? I like them pretty good, though I don't feel that they are very comparable to the Offspring.

How can you like Offspring and then like their competetor.
If you want to call this a competition between the two bands, I think Green Day kicked the Offspring's ass a long time ago popularity wise.

randman21
09-02-2009, 06:36 AM
I thought you liked Bad Religion Randy...??? I like them pretty good, though I don't feel that they are very comparable to the Offspring.

Hehe. Not at all. They have a great sound...but they're just too damn preachy for me.

cool 2 hate 681
09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
If you want to call this a competition between the two bands, I think Green Day kicked the Offspring's ass a long time ago popularity wise.

but don't forget offspring were more popular than green day for a long time too

Outerspaceman21
09-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but also I feel with Green Day's new musical direction sorta alienated alot of there original fans, but thats not to say Offspring didn't really do the same thing. It's all a matter of opinion and perspective, but I would agree and say that Green Day, as much as I dislike their music, have maintained popularity more then the Offspring could.

Kerrang
10-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I downloaded a fresh batch of Offspring songs. Here's the setlist.

1. Disclaimer
2. Original Prankster
3. The Worst Hangover Ever
4. Da Hui
5. Smash
6. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
7. Have You Ever
8. Hammerhead
9. Kill the President.
10. The Meaning of Life