PDA

View Full Version : Japan changes ruling party after 50 years with the old one

RageAndLov
08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
As many of you perhaps know, the Democratic Party of Japan, with Yukio Hatoyama in the front, won the election with a landslide majority in the Japanese House of Representives. 308 of 480 seats actually.
The old party, Liberal Democratic Party, have reigned the country in over 50 years.
It will be exciting how the new party will handle being in power without much experience ruling a country, and it is also expectations regarding pulling Japan out of the finance crisis. The unemployment in Japan is at the high number of 5,7%.

Static_Martyr
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Not really relevant, but some skimming turned this up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/03/miyuki-hatoyama-japan

With the dust barely settled on last Sunday's election, Miyuki – whose husband will officially become Japan's leader on 16 September – is already emerging as a gloriously eccentric foil to her humdrum hubby. While he reassures the US that his country is committed to the bilateral alliance, she regales the media with tales of interplanetary travel and, er, solar breakfasts.

"I eat the sun," Miyuki says, raising her arms as if to tear pieces off an imaginary sun. "Like this: yum, yum, yum. It gives me enormous energy. My husband has recently started doing that too." Clearly, this is where Gordon Brown has been going wrong.

But it is her extraterrestrial experiences that have triggered an avalanche of media coverage her husband could never hope to match. In a book entitled Very Strange Things I've Encountered, his wife has claimed that she was abducted by aliens as she slept one night 20 years ago, then whisked off to the final frontier. "While my body was asleep, I think my soul rode on a triangular-shaped UFO and went to Venus," she wrote, adding: "It was a very beautiful place, and it was very green."

Now I don't know how much this kind of thinking will affect anything, if at all....but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't....odd :o

F@ BANKZ
09-06-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm impressed a country can legitimately keep any party in for 50 years. And it might be ignorant of me, but in my experience a party out of power for so long is likely to make a few too many mistakes.

Rooster
09-06-2009, 04:18 AM
I've read that "alien" thing too in a newspaper. Haven't laughed so hard in a while :D

P.S.: Am i the only one who finds the new prime minister's nickname amusing? It's E.T. for those who don't know yet...