PDA

View Full Version : Why is it?...

dexter12296566
09-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I find their are many more Offspring fans outside of the United States of America which surprises me because they started in the US. I am like the only fan on here that lives in Massachusetts

DMelges
09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
hahahaha
Too me it's actually the opposite. I live in Brazil and it's really hard to find anyone around here that even knows that The Offspring is a band. Lately I have been discovering alot of brazilians in the bbs though. Maybe you have a point...:confused:

dexter12296566
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Exactly. At least you also have alot of Portuguese people, same heritage. I have found maybe 10-12 bbs members from America.

PunksKillEmos
09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
lol I'm from NH and BouncingColes is from Boston. But when I brought our spanish exchange student to see the offspring he never heard of them but loved Sum 41, but ended up loving the offsping in the end too:)

The_BlackSwordsman
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Well I'm from Brazil too. A good number of my University mates knows about the Offspring and I got my cousing into it too. :D It probably depends on region, general income and access to information. So it'll vary in numbers from place to place. :\

Noodles 4 Noodles
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I've noticed that too, it seems like all the people down here in Florida are all Offspring fans by the radio. I haven't really met anyone who knows The Offspring more than You're Gonna Go Far Kid and Come Out & Play. Then I watch like their Rock in Rio performance and everyone is going crazy singinig along to songs like Staring at the Sun etc...

I think in general, there are the most Offspring fans (Radio fans) in the US, but I think there are more hard core fans in other countries.

bouncingcoles
09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Offspring just arent as popular in the US as they used to be. You can easily tell by the amount of people attending the US shows on the recent tour. much less than expected for many of the shows which was a major bummer. American music is highly influencial in other countries and many american bands do very well in other places. You never hear about bands that are huge in america but unknown in europe for example. they say you havent really made it big until your big in America. billy talent for example is from Canada and although they are very popular in canada and europe they play tiny clubs in the US and are unheard of in the mainstream.

jacknife737
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
You can't really judge the band's fanbase based off the current crop of active bbs users.

Statistically speaking more people live outside the US than in it.... but anyways, outside of say Japan, and maybe Australia i doubt there is any other country where the band is more popular than their home; i mean look at the radio play RAFRAG got, the singles got played a hell of a lot more in the US radio market than Europe's.

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 12:30 AM
You can't really judge the band's fanbase based off the current crop of active bbs users.

Statistically speaking more people live outside the US than in it.... but anyways, outside of say Japan, and maybe Australia i doubt there is any other country where the band is more popular than their home; i mean look at the radio play RAFRAG got, the singles got played a hell of a lot more in the US radio market than Europe's.

that has dick to do with popularity... European radio stations suck, Americans rule. Offspring never really got ANY significant radio play here even when they were at the top of their game popularity wise

RageAndLov
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
American music and British music are very influential most places in the world, and in every corner of the West. I think it's because these places generally know English pretty good. In South America on the other hand, the English language is not very common and therefore there are more rarely English-speaking songs in the hitlists.

Harleyquiiinn
09-09-2009, 02:00 AM
that has dick to do with popularity... European radio stations suck, Americans rule. Offspring never really got ANY significant radio play here even when they were at the top of their game popularity wise

This is sadly right... still we have one radio that plays some old and new Offspring... this is a parisian radio only though...

Bejka
09-09-2009, 02:07 AM
I find their are many more Offspring fans outside of the United States of America which surprises me because they started in the US. I am like the only fan on here that lives in Massachusetts

LOOOOOOOL who do you think they are making EUROPEAN tour for? :D Americans in Europe? And what about shows in Australia, Japan, South America???
"They started in US" haha and what? :D Lots of bands started in US. You american people are sometimes unbelievabe................ some of your stupid thoughts and questions are gold best of legendary classic now.

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 02:11 AM
You american people are sometimes unbelievabe................ some of your stupid thoughts and questions are gold best of legendary classic now.

That portion of your post gives dexter12296566 a run for her money for sure! :D

MAXTER
09-09-2009, 02:11 AM
LOOOOOOOL who do you think they are making EUROPEAN tour for? :D Americans in Europe? And what about shows in Australia, Japan, South America???
"They started in US" haha and what? :D Lots of bands started in US. You american people are sometimes unbelievabe................ some of your stupid thoughts and questions are gold best of legendary classic now.

Quote... :D

Jojan
09-09-2009, 02:26 AM
|The World ∩ USA| < |The World ∩ USA|

Gustavo
09-09-2009, 04:26 AM
In South America on the other hand, the English language is not very common and therefore there are more rarely English-speaking songs in the hitlists.

Well, not sure what's it like in other countries in South America, but, here in Brazil, it's not like that. English songs are played on the radio all the time, well... Not good songs, only Lady Gaga, rap and all that shit. There are a few radio stations that play some rock songs that are sung in English, therefore, some Offspring songs are eventually played in them. I do agree with you, though, that English isn't as spoken here as it is in some non English speaking countries, specially European countries.

Castormut
09-09-2009, 04:35 AM
In spain a lot of people knows The Offspring. Now they are not really popular, but in 2001 with Original Prankster they was the number one. This year, when they played in Barcelona, Razzmatazz was totally full.

Llamas
09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Just wanted to say that this

European radio stations suck, Americans rule.

is so, so, soooo false. American radio stations are garbage. The Offspring isn't a fair way to judge that... but I hate listening to the radio in the US, because they play the same recycled Nickelback, Soulja Boy, Beyonce, and Coldplay songs over and over and over again. In order to hear any Offspring, you have to listen to one of those "hard rock" stations that play Linkin Park, Nickelback, Staind, and Three Doors Down repeatedly. And it's not worth sitting through that bullshit to hear an Offspring song once a week. The only stations that REALLY play Offspring are private/local radio stations in California... maybe big cities like New York and Chicago have some better radio station options, too.

Now I'm not saying that European stations are great... they pretty much suck, too, but at least you get music from a lot more places. Here, I get to hear Czech, German, British, Canadian, and American music any time I turn on the radio - plus sometimes I've even hear French, Spanish, Russian... etc. It's kind of neat. Again, the radio stations here aren't great, but the US isn't any better in this regard.

The only station I ever listened to in Minnesota was http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/ because as a publicly funded radio station, they have no ads and play whatever the fuck they want. But I never hear Offspring there, either...

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 06:10 AM

is so, so, soooo false. American radio stations are garbage. The Offspring isn't a fair way to judge that... but I hate listening to the radio in the US, because they play the same recycled Nickelback, Soulja Boy, Beyonce, and Coldplay songs over and over and over again. In order to hear any Offspring, you have to listen to one of those "hard rock" stations that play Linkin Park, Nickelback, Staind, and Three Doors Down repeatedly. And it's not worth sitting through that bullshit to hear an Offspring song once a week. The only stations that REALLY play Offspring are private/local radio stations in California... maybe big cities like New York and Chicago have some better radio station options, too.

Now I'm not saying that European stations are great... they pretty much suck, too, but at least you get music from a lot more places. Here, I get to hear Czech, German, British, Canadian, and American music any time I turn on the radio - plus sometimes I've even hear French, Spanish, Russian... etc. It's kind of neat. Again, the radio stations here aren't great, but the US isn't any better in this regard.

The only station I ever listened to in Minnesota was http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/ because as a publicly funded radio station, they have no ads and play whatever the fuck they want. But I never hear Offspring there, either...

if you mathed it out you'd come to the conclusion that you get less new music / square mile in Europe than in the US.. the only reason it seems more to you, is because the US is huge.

And I dunno, at least you HAVE hard rock stations in the states.

0 hard rock stations in europe

end of story

Llamas
09-09-2009, 06:16 AM
if you mathed it out you'd come to the conclusion that you get less new music / square mile in Europe than in the US.. the only reason it seems more to you, is because the US is huge.

And I dunno, at least you HAVE hard rock stations in the states.

0 hard rock stations in europe

end of story

Hmm maybe that's true for Hungary, but it's definitely not true for Europe! I listened to a hard rock station in England, and I used to listen to one a lot in Austria. I haven't scoped it out here in CZ yet, but I'm pretty sure they have one based on what one of my friends said.

If you're really big into listening to the radio, I recommend listening online. Most big American stations allow you to stream online.

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Hmm maybe that's true for Hungary, but it's definitely not true for Europe! I listened to a hard rock station in England, and I used to listen to one a lot in Austria. I haven't scoped it out here in CZ yet, but I'm pretty sure they have one based on what one of my friends said.

If you're really big into listening to the radio, I recommend listening online. Most big American stations allow you to stream online.

I'd like to listen to it in my car, and it'll soon happen with mobil internet and iPhone and shit... the station I really liked isn't around anymore WHFS (they did the WHFStival) and I also liked DC101... and Howard Stern ofcourse.

ShitMaster
09-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Over here in Bosnia & Herzegovina, I personally know around 20 fans of the Offspring, and I don't mean Come out and play or WDYGAJ fans. I mean, true fans. So, don't worry :D

Free?
09-09-2009, 06:31 AM
I believe that radio repertoire is based on pretty much the same formula everywhere. About rock stations. I separate them in 2 groups: either it's modern alt. rock/"punk"/metal etc. station that mostly plays all the rock radio hits starting from like 94 till now, or it's an older stuff which bores the fuck out of you because it keeps recycling all of that cliche mess 365 days a year which isn't my thing either. Of course they may cross over, but still I'm very skeptical about it, there is no radio that'd make me enjoy it. However there are internet radio stations which are divided much more strictly by sub-genres and styles, but I don't care about them either.

Jesus
09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
zero "hard rock" stations here too. Checking the playlists, they played hammerhead 3 times here and that was because people voted the song into a listeners chart.

Somewhere around 2003 or something it seems most European radio station decided to stop playing harder music and switch comepletely to eurotrash, rnb and britpop. Before that you could easily hear Iron Maiden, Metallica, Offspring, System of a down, Tool etc. After that the latest harder music that got played was probably Green Day with AI and Holiday. Now the only harder music you hear is probably fall out boy, which is still quite soft and easy listening and even they have a hard time (also zero new metallica, ac dc even though they topped the charts).

I guess there are basically 2 radio audiences. The under 14 year old hysterical teens and the over 35 year olds. Everyone in between has for the most part switched over to mp3 or flac.

Llamas
09-09-2009, 06:59 AM
zero "hard rock" stations here too. Checking the playlists, they played hammerhead 3 times here and that was because people voted the song into a listeners chart.

Somewhere around 2003 or something it seems most European radio station decided to stop playing harder music and switch comepletely to eurotrash, rnb and britpop. Before that you could easily hear Iron Maiden, Metallica, Offspring, System of a down, Tool etc. After that the latest harder music that got played was probably Green Day with AI and Holiday. Now the only harder music you hear is probably fall out boy, which is still quite soft and easy listening and even they have a hard time (also zero new metallica, ac dc even though they topped the charts).

I guess there are basically 2 radio audiences. The under 14 year old hysterical teens and the over 35 year olds. Everyone in between has for the most part switched over to mp3 or flac.

Where (in Europe) are you from?

This thread has gone way off topic... Sarah, any chance you could move this to GC as a thread about radio? It's a really interesting topic...

Outerspaceman21
09-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree with llama's on this off topic subject. Most rock radio is recycled garbage.

Llamas
09-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I gotta say, as an American, I haven't found out about a new band via radio in about 10 years, besides through the independent public station I mentioned. I find out about new music through other people, mix tapes/cds, bands that other bands list in credits in their thank yous, etc. Radio is just a shitty way to do it... and I don't think you can say our radio is awesome without experiencing it, haha. Fuck, we had some good stations back in the day, but they get replaced with pure shit. We had an awesome 80s station, and then it turned to a station of love ballads. We had a great alternative station that played all kinds of less common rock music, but it turned into a fucking polka station. This was about 7 years ago. In MN, we have a generic shit rock station full of Linkin Park, Nickelback, Staind, Three Doors Down, etc... we have like 3 RnB stations full of beyonce and usher, we have a classic rock station (which is almost decent if only they'd play more than the same like 8 songs over and over...), we have 2 country stations, and then a few top 40 stations (which play the top pop and rap songs in the country... you'll hear a lot of Dr Dre, Soulja Boy, Coldplay, Fray, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys... they suck). Nothing remotely good besides the public station I listen to.

Jesus
09-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Where (in Europe) are you from?

This thread has gone way off topic... Sarah, any chance you could move this to GC as a thread about radio? It's a really interesting topic...

Belgium. Holland is only 5km away though.

Little_Miss_1565
09-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Right, and she is totally a prime example of all Americans ever. :rolleyes:

_Way_Down_the_Line_
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
well in Argentina, it's pretty hard to find a lot of fans, even more difficult to find people that knows them as a band, but when they come tour here they sold out, and when you make a person listen to an Offspring song like " WDUGAJ " or " Hit That " or any other comercial like song,
they will ask you:

What band sings that song?
and you say: The Offspring dumbass,
then they go: ooooh nice I didn't know they had such a goodass song

So what am thinkin is, that here in south america they are not know as a "BAND", but if you talk to someone that likes to hear music, and that has some Music culture, well they may know who the offspring are only by a few songs, depending if they like them or not.. anyways am going out of the question, which was why the offspring have no fans in the U.S and more out of the states... I really can't confirm that...

randman21
09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I gotta say, as an American, I haven't found out about a new band via radio in about 10 years, besides through the independent public station I mentioned. I find out about new music through other people, mix tapes/cds, bands that other bands list in credits in their thank yous, etc. Radio is just a shitty way to do it... and I don't think you can say our radio is awesome without experiencing it, haha. Fuck, we had some good stations back in the day, but they get replaced with pure shit. We had an awesome 80s station, and then it turned to a station of love ballads. We had a great alternative station that played all kinds of less common rock music, but it turned into a fucking polka station. This was about 7 years ago. In MN, we have a generic shit rock station full of Linkin Park, Nickelback, Staind, Three Doors Down, etc... we have like 3 RnB stations full of beyonce and usher, we have a classic rock station (which is almost decent if only they'd play more than the same like 8 songs over and over...), we have 2 country stations, and then a few top 40 stations (which play the top pop and rap songs in the country... you'll hear a lot of Dr Dre, Soulja Boy, Coldplay, Fray, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys... they suck). Nothing remotely good besides the public station I listen to.

Whew! Even though this is indicative of a more serious, national-scale problem, I'm quite relieved to know that this isn't just the case with my city's radio stations. We have three kinda "urban" stations, that cover the gamet of that demographic (One rap, one contemporary r&b, and one that plays classic r&b from the '90s and before, which I love). Besides that we have one Top 40 station, which also plays about 8 different songs (7 of them are Nickelback, or it could be one; all their songs sound the same), and one abyssmally sucky rock station. I often unlock my doors when I'm listening while driving, very close to jumping out. Anyway, that station plays that kind of rock...I don't know the genre, where the guitars are really heavy and you can't make out what notes are being played. Also, they play old-timey rock n roll, that uses the same chord progression in every song. It sucks more because there's a station that I'm sure rivals KROQ in Wilmington, NC, but I only get it when I'm down there an hour or so a day. Maybe I should be a CD-hoarder like yourself. Radio isn't really working out anymore. :P

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Right, and she is totally a prime example of all Americans ever. :rolleyes:

you stupid american cunt it's "all Americans EVARR"

sheeesh.. you americans are all so uneducated, dumb, fat and ugly.. you especially. :cool:

Little_Miss_1565
09-09-2009, 07:59 AM

sheeesh.. you americans are all so uneducated, dumb, fat and ugly.. you especially. :cool:

Whatever, you Hungarian steppe-llama! :D FAT KILLZ!!!!1!

_Way_Down_the_Line_
09-09-2009, 08:00 AM

jaja I lived there and if u are saying this in a funny matter it's ok, but it's not true xD

Llamas
09-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Whew! Even though this is indicative of a more serious, national-scale problem, I'm quite relieved to know that this isn't just the case with my city's radio stations. We have three kinda "urban" stations, that cover the gamet of that demographic (One rap, one contemporary r&b, and one that plays classic r&b from the '90s and before, which I love). Besides that we have one Top 40 station, which also plays about 8 different songs (7 of them are Nickelback, or it could be one; all their songs sound the same), and one abyssmally sucky rock station. I often unlock my doors when I'm listening while driving, very close to jumping out. Anyway, that station plays that kind of rock...I don't know the genre, where the guitars are really heavy and you can't make out what notes are being played. Also, they play old-timey rock n roll, that uses the same chord progression in every song. Maybe I should be a CD-hoarder like yourself. Radio isn't really working out anymore. :P

haha! The worst part is that we have TONS of great local acts in MN, and they get NO airplay except on the public station. Like 10 radio stations, and only one plays stuff FROM MN? Not cool. I do think radio sucks the world over, though. Internet radio is better, but not everyone has the capability for that. I really do recommend the MN public radio station, though. A lot of what I've gotten into the last year I've heard played on there http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/ I'm listening now and they're playing a series of listener-voted songs that reference the Beatles somehow, in honor of today being the day the entire Beatles discography is being re-released or something. The only downside is that, since I don't live in MN now, I can only listen at my computer...

Oxygene
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Racism is funny :D

Unless it's taken seriously.. just like comedy :D

nieh
09-09-2009, 08:06 AM

This was so scarily accurate I had to check your post count to make sure you weren't a new HAU account.

randman21
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
...llamas said some stuff...

Ugh...don't get me started on our local music scene..but yeah, that's crazy. I've heard about the music from around your area, and it's weird that stations don't want to show that off. Anyway, thanks for linking the site. I bookmarked it. :)

Little_Miss_1565
09-09-2009, 08:15 AM
This was so scarily accurate I had to check your post count to make sure you weren't a new HAU account.

It's easy to parody something that's already a parody of itself. :)

Harleyquiiinn
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Oh my god ! It's been a while since I didn't hear Staind on the radio ! (yes there is a joke in that sentence)...

What freaks me out the most about radio is when they promote something as being "unusual"... you know.... when really, it's soup. This summer, the
unusual summer hit here was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70bQ6T9mNII I'll let you enjoy it if you dare.

(I'm curious about the french songs you can hear abroad... it's not like french rock was any good... at least no these last 10 years...)

So honestly, I just want to say that Dexter12296566 reasoning is not illogical. I mean, she probably only hears american/english stuff on the american radios. Therefore, it is logical for here to think that it is the same everywhere. Like in Spain, they only have spanish songs, in France, they only have french songs and etc.

Dexter12296566, Anglo saxon culture is present approximatively everywhere in the world. That is why we are very familiar with groups like the Offspring eventhough we are not americans.

Llamas
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
No French music on popular radio, sadly. Really not much foreign unless it's from Canada or Britain. But there are two French groups I've heard on the MN indie station I mentioned.

- Phoenix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVeSefg72U&feature=channel

- Plasticines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy7DRLlDaE&feature=fvst

I think Phoenix is decent, but I don't like Plasticines

Harleyquiiinn
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
No French music on popular radio, sadly. Really not much foreign unless it's from Canada or Britain. But there are two French groups I've heard on the MN indie station I mentioned.

- Phoenix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVeSefg72U&feature=channel

- Plasticines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMy7DRLlDaE&feature=fvst

I think Phoenix is decent, but I don't like Plasticines

Yeah... nobody likes Plasticines...

Phoenix on the other hand is a good band I think. Versailles is somehow a city full of good electro/pop band... (it's also the city of Air and Daft Punk)
Here is another one that's pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub36ffWAqgQ

dexter12296566
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Offspring just arent as popular in the US as they used to be. You can easily tell by the amount of people attending the US shows on the recent tour. much less than expected for many of the shows which was a major bummer. American music is highly influencial in other countries and many american bands do very well in other places. You never hear about bands that are huge in america but unknown in europe for example. they say you havent really made it big until your big in America. billy talent for example is from Canada and although they are very popular in canada and europe they play tiny clubs in the US and are unheard of in the mainstream.

They did not seel out the Tsongas Arena which is a very small venue.

Little_Miss_1565
09-09-2009, 02:52 PM
They did not seel out the Tsongas Arena which is a very small venue.

It holds 8,000 people.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Dr Dre,they suck)
DR. MOTHAFUCKIN DRE DOESN'T SUCK. he's one of the best from the west that is still the best. unlike snoop and others from the west that sold out

yes. pretty much every radio station in america sucks.
in nc we have rap country, old pop songs songs, and one classic rock radio station that sounds shitty because of the signal.(96.1, 95.1, 98.7, k104.7 piss me off the most)