PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Twixter?

Mota Boy
01-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Yes, it's a terrible expression, but all the other terms for it are even worst. I find that, nonetheless, it's a rather accurate description of my generation. Or perhaps just me. Read about the "twixters" here (http://www.time.com/time/press_releases/article/0,8599,1018035,00.html). What are your thoughts?

the_GoDdEsS
01-23-2005, 01:35 AM
I can pretty much relate to it. And I'll be one until I decide to calm down and settle which probably won't be sooner than 28.

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 02:11 AM
I have too many twixter friends. I tell them to stop being fucking gay and take charge of their life but they much rather live at their parents basement, work a cullmulative total of 150 hours per annum (if that) to satisify their materialistic needs, and study for a career they haven't yet decided upon. They're not bad people mind you. They just don't see a purpose to move to the next level.

Izie
01-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Somehow, I don't think I am (or will be) a twixter. I've already left my tiny parents, and I can't have Ken's parents supporting me, so, after uni, off goes Iza to get a job. Or maybe after masters, but that's it.

My mommy raised me to be responsible and self-sufficient. That wasn't a nice thing to do. Now I can't even slack off.

And I don't know many twixters, but then again, maybe my generation is too young for that right now... We've only just started uni...

the_GoDdEsS
01-23-2005, 02:16 AM
I do want independence. But I don't wanna get all serious about life.

Izie
01-23-2005, 02:17 AM
I do want independence. But I don't wanna get all serious about life.

Apparently, I was born serious :/

the_GoDdEsS
01-23-2005, 02:19 AM
I was born responsible. But I'm running away from seriousness as fast as I can. I don't want it to get me yet!

Izie
01-23-2005, 02:20 AM
I was born responsible. But I'm running away from seriousness as fast as I can. I don't want it to get me yet!

I was born both.

I suck.

Except when I act like an idiot (not that rare really). But I'm still all serious and responsible. *sigh*

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 02:31 AM
It's about what you set your mind to. I never was 'responsible' as a kid, nor was I really mature. Then a came a moment when I told myself that I should be a man--and I became one. Didn't happen overnight of course, but gradually my definition of what kind of man I should be shaped up as did my responsibilities.

Mota Boy
01-23-2005, 02:45 AM
I don't want to live with my parents, but I wouldn't mind living off them. I don't know what I want to be and a career and wife seem far off into the future. Ever since I was sixteen I decided that I didn't want to get married until at least my late twenties. Since roughly then I formulated a rough plan on life that was based upon decades. Your teens is when you fuck up and learn. Your twenties is when you travel and experience the world. Your thirties is when you impart your knowledge and begin to settle down (studies have shown that geniuses and criminals do their best work in their thirties). Your forties is when you raise a family, and your fifties is when you acknowledge your mortality and spend the rest of your life circumnavigating the globe and soaking up more knowledge, a process that continues until you die.

At least, I'm pretty sure that was the plan. It seems brilliant enough now, before I've launched myself into the real world.

Vera
01-23-2005, 04:54 AM
I'm still in my teens so it's okay to live with my parents.

Whoo.

RXP
01-23-2005, 04:56 AM
It's about what you set your mind to. I never was 'responsible' as a kid, nor was I really mature. Then a came a moment when I told myself that I should be a man--and I became one. Didn't happen overnight of course, but gradually my definition of what kind of man I should be shaped up as did my responsibilities.

Yup relate to that. As a kid I was nothing compared to what I am now. Over the last year, when I moved out, I've grown a lot and am self sufficent. It feels good.

wliethof
01-23-2005, 05:06 AM
I'm not really a twixter. I moved out at 19 and I'm still studying etc. But I certainly hope I never fully grow up. If there's one thing I hate, it's stuck up boring adults who have to be serious about everything. Why can't people just let go and be crazy at times? There are times to take responsability and times to be crazy.

Betty
01-23-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm kinda like Izie... too serious for my own good.

So yeah, I'm not a "twixter" but am fairly rare around here. A lot of my friends are somewhere in between: independent but not entirely.

I am financially independent besides the fact my parents co-signed my loan.

I take care of my own affairs.

I live on my own. And I am the one who takes care of the house. I pay the rent. I set up the accounts/pay the bills. I clean. Etc. The boys are still used to having their mommies do that kind of stuff. So I, unfortunately, out of necessity, must play the role of my mother.

I am terrified and excited to plan my future.

wheelchairman
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Technically I'm financially independent right now, my parents don't pay a dime for a thing. Except the food and utilities I eat here. (so not completely independent.)

I plan on moving out later this year or possibly the year after. I plan on studying until I get a ph.d. or something, not quite sure, just know that I want to go as high as possible on the educational plan.

So I'm like...semi-twixter.

Betty
01-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Technically I'm financially independent right now, my parents don't pay a dime for a thing. Except the food and utilities I eat here. (so not completely independent.)

That sentence is very contradictory. Like, my parents only paid for my food/utilities in what? Grade 10 when I was 15 years old? Right now my food/rent/utilities are easily half of my expenses.

Betty
01-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I always say things like "when I grow up I'll _________" and people make fun of me. But I guess it means more like, when I settle down and have a job and a family, etc.

Das Werewolf
01-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Nice of wheelchair man to admit he's a freeloading, scrounging burden to his poor dear parents! :D

wheelchairman
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
That sentence is very contradictory. Like, my parents only paid for my food/utilities in what? Grade 10 when I was 15 years old? Right now my food/rent/utilities are easily half of my expenses.
Not really, I pay for my education, and because my education is an international line (International Business, yes let's ignore the irony of how that goes with my political beliefs and effectively makes me a sell-out) so for part of each year I pay for the trips I have to go on and the costs that come with these.

Betty
01-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm just saying you shouldn't say you're independent, when you're only partially so. Hence the contradiction. I don't go on major trips because I cannot afford it at this point in my life. Or at least it's not a priority to spend any money I have solely on that.

RXP
01-23-2005, 03:33 PM

Hahaha yeah. Rent and bills are WAY OVER half my expenses.

Last year I used to pay 375 a month for rent. Luckily this year it's 250

wheelchairman
01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm just saying you shouldn't say you're independent, when you're only partially so. Hence the contradiction. I don't go on major trips because I cannot afford it at this point in my life. Or at least it's not a priority to spend any money I have solely on that.
Yeah, but then again, I didn't say I was fully independent. Hence the semi-twixter comment.

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I think our generation is pathetic in terms of how much influance and power in our respective nations people aged 18 to 25 carry as opposed to say a century ago. We get no respect. We have no responsabilities in society. We are expected to study, graduate and then slowely move up in ranks if we apply our learn'd skill better than our colegues. That's fucking gay. What's worse--I find few people who are willing to do anything about it. Most are content with the status quo.

UgLy_eLf
01-23-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't see the glory some find in "Moving up to the next level." A career? Yippy, I suppose a house in suburbia a nice family.. typical...

As long as "twixters" have some sort of job, and a place other than their parents I see nothing wrong with their life style, aren't we robbed of our childhood and adolescence anyway? I especially feel that way when it comes to school, get home, eat, a little TV, maybe call a friend over, homework, and bed...everyday.. Hoorah for weekends when your fucker teachers assign you extra lengthy assignments.

Betty
01-23-2005, 08:15 PM
WCM, I know what you said about semi-twixter, but I was talking about the sentence you used in specific (hence the quote) where you said "I'm independent. But not really. So I'm not really independent." It was just a really bad sentence.

RXP, my tuition/textbooks come to about the same cost as my rent/food.

Pope, I agree with you to an extent. But like you said, it's people's own fault, because for the most part they aren't trying to be influential. However, if a young driven individual tries to be important to society, I think they can be. Might just require a bit more effort since elders might be less willing to accept it.

Elf, I don't think you necessarily have to have a fancy job, and a house, and a car, and a family to not be considered a twixter. I think it's more about independence. You can cut all strings and be totally independent and simply choose to live your life as one big party. (I could be wrong on my interpretation... but that's how I see it... or would like to see it).

UgLy_eLf
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I agree with you Betty, but I wasn't adressing the Twixters at the beginning of that just the "moving to the next level" business, I read earlier in this topic. Society seems to be completely obsessed with that ultimatum, its the "American dream," and it bugs the fuck out of me when I see adults bitch about a younger generation switching things up.

Don't get me wrong, I do hate moochers and slackers, useless fucks that don't do anything or even attempt to do anything to make a living of their own. But like I said before, nothing wrong with being a big kid as long as you make your own living.

Chris
01-23-2005, 08:42 PM
hah this thread reminds me of Van Wilder...

Ken Jennings
01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Meet the Twixters

http://www.student.oulu.fi/~cyu/pictures/My%20family/in%20Beijing%202001.JPG

leo3375
01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
By the definition in the article, I am definitely a Twixter. Unfortunately, a lot of college students and 20-somethings are Twixters simply because we can't afford to live on our own and we're afraid of living in debt.

I'm getting out of my Twixter period this year. I'm getting an apartment, a real job, and I'm learning how to support myself financially. I pay my bills on time, I keep track of my checking account, and I make sure to take out only enough cash to get me through until my next paycheck. I also prioritize my spending and my schedule. I still want to have fun, and I still will have fun, but I know that I must be more responsible.

It seems that the US government now wants military service to be the only option for those who can't afford college but want to get a post-secondary education, but that's for another thread.

Betty
01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I REALLY hate the word twixter! Are you SURE there are no alternatives???

RXP
01-24-2005, 01:52 AM
RXP, my tuition/textbooks come to about the same cost as my rent/food.

Yeah true my tution gets paid because I'm poor and my books set me back about 300 but that's the whole years worth.

HornyPope
01-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Good point, Elf, and I should clarify that I meant that people should strive to "move up in ranks" at whatever they choose to occupy themselves. I didn't specifically refer to the corporate world. I should equally stress that i'm as much fed up with current jobs as much as I am fed up with the people employed therein (though the former is an inevitable result of the latter). I wish we would live in a society where a writer (not only the "Best seller" type) or an artist could command as much influence among his peers as a chairman of a corporation.

Also, to own a house with a loving family between the four walls is a dream ruined by the same assholes I put under criticism in my post. They're the types who work a dead-end 9 to 5 jobs to build up a good credit history which in turn would allow them to purchase a house morage and spend the rest of their days until retirement paying it. Personally, I had in mind the classic (and perhaps outdated) example of serf-turned-freeman through hardship and struggle to pay his family and himself the reward of his own habitat where he and only he is the master.

Betty
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Regarding the artist comment...

I think the problem with that scenario is that there aren't enough people out there to appreciate artists/authors... and I don't know if this could ever change. Perhaps people could be motivated from an early age to appreciate that sort of thing more? Or perhaps most people just don't have the intellect/interest/whatever to appreciate it in the first place.

I definitely want a happy family when I grow up, and I don't care if it's cliche. I'm not quite clear on what your desire is... sounds fairly patriarchal though.

HornyPope
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
I only come out as patriarchal because I speak for myself. I can't begin to imagine what would my female equivalent would ask for.

Betty
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I will be the master of my home. At my house now, all of my boys are pretty whipped by me.