PDA

View Full Version : Old Armstrong and ramones dude interview where the talk about offspring

Jeff316
09-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Frederiksen: For us it's all about friendship. Last night at the show [Rancid had played the night before in New York City], we gave a shout out to the Offspring because they are getting a lot of shit right now for signing with a major label. [The Offspring recently left Epitaph for Columbia Records.] If you have all the money in the world but you don't have your credibility or your friends you ain't shit. The Offspring are our friends. Matt and Tim used to see them in 1987 when there were only six other people there. Then, when they got big, they took us on tour with them and gave us support and love.

Armstrong: If someone does that for us, we will be his brother forever.

Frederiksen: The most important thing here is friendship. Record companies, I don't know if they're your friends...

Ramone: They ain't your friends.

Frederiksen: I've seen bands who think that record companies are their best friends and then when they don't sell the 1.5 million records they were supposed to sell, they are yesterday's newspaper. It doesn't matter to the Offspring if we sell a million records, they just want to be our homeboys. Reading all the negative shit about the Offspring in the press, we just want them to know we love them no matter what's going on.

Armstrong: I would hate to see the Offspring be destroyed because of some backlash from the media. I would hate it if songs that Dexter [Holland, Offspring singer/guitarist] has inside of him never got heard because of what some magazine says abou t him. That would be a tragedy. I don't get this one-hit wonder stuff about the Offspring. They have so many hits. l always thought they had hits, even in '87.

Frederiksen: That negative backlash has happened to every great band. It happened to the Ramones. They said you couldn't play, that you guys were a bunch of half-wits And here you are, the most influential band of the last 25 years. You guys saved the world from disco!

Ramone: Not bad for a bunch of half-wits, huh?

Frederiksen: Fucking yeah! Nobody ever built a statue to a critic, and nobody will ever think about building a statue to a rock critic.. There are a lot of irresponsible journalists out there. The same people who are bagging the Offspring now for n ot being punk were probably into Guns N' Roses when they were big. Joey, you know that a lot of kids don't think it's so street-level to be on a major label. What do you think about it?

Ramone: : I think it's true that an indie label gives you the freedom to follow your vision. The first label we were on, Sire, was an indie. It wasn't until later [when Warner Bros. bought Sire] that things changed. Focus [Dutch art-rock band] broke the label, but the Ramones gave Sire its direction. Seymour Stein signed us, and he was a real visionary. Stein was willing to take chances when nobody else was. After us he signed Talking Heads, the Dead Boys and Richard Hell. I don't think it's right to shoot somebody down because of the label they're on. The Offspring already proved themselves; I don't think there's anything wrong with them moving on.

Frederiksen: Sire sounds like Epitaph, and you were the Offspring of the '70s.

randman21
09-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Comparing Offspring to the Ramones was pretty fucking awesome...but who are these people? :confused:

Tijs
09-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Lars Frederiksen, guitar player for Rancid. I'm not sure which Ramone it is though.

But it's a pretty cool interview, how old is it?

RonWelty
09-15-2009, 04:51 AM
it seems Joey Ramone.

Jeff316
09-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Lars Frederiksen, guitar player for Rancid. I'm not sure which Ramone it is though.

But it's a pretty cool interview, how old is it?

Its sometime after they left epitaph

Oxygene
09-15-2009, 05:07 AM
1996 probably it's still pretty bad ass.. nice to see Rancid understand what punk rock is about

Hombre
09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Guys from Rancid are very cool!They don't give a shit about labels,but NOFX do.

Oxygene
09-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Guys from Rancid are very cool!They don't give a shit about labels,but NOFX do.

you'd guess it was the other way around

Dragnet
09-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Comparing Offspring to the Ramones was pretty fucking awesome...but who are these people? :confused:

Dude, do your homework! :rolleyes:

offsrx
09-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Comparing Offspring to the Ramones was pretty fucking awesome...

F-Yeah!
Same opinion here:)
i always thought that Offspring actually were The Ramones of the '90-s

cool 2 hate 681
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
i have never seen this interview before thanks for posting it:)

randman21
09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Dude, do your homework! :rolleyes:

Haha, that's just the tip of the iceberg, man. My punk knowledge is dismal. But for the record, I did get that that was Joey Ramone. I was only asking about Frederikson and Armstrong. :D

It's pretty cool that Rancid is so cool with Offspring. I didn't know that.

-Samantha-
09-15-2009, 04:11 PM
1996 probably it's still pretty bad ass.. nice to see Rancid understand what punk rock is about

i agree with you.

Gustavo
09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
This is just awesome! :)
Joey Ramone apparently wasn't a big The Offspring fan, but apparently he did support the band, as could be shown in this interview with those Rancid guys and in a interview he did with Dexter Holland and in that other interview where Dexter interviewed him.
And I do agree with Joey that we shouldn't give a fuck to what labol certain band has signed with, all we've gotta care about is the music.

SelfEsteem94
09-15-2009, 10:29 PM
3 punk rock gods talking about the Offspring.
i feel so proud.
:]

Dexter_italy
09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
That was so back in the time... i wonder if they still think it this way

Rutegard
09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
That was so back in the time... i wonder if they still think it this way

i hope so...

Outerspaceman21
09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I've always compared The Offspring's career to The Ramones. They have a lot in common.