PDA

View Full Version : Smashing Pumpkins releasing a new album for free

Alex101
09-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, that's right! The Smashing Pumpkins are putting out a new album for free. It's called Teargarden by Kaleidyscope and it'll feature 44 songs. Here's what Billy Corgan said on their official website (http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/news/announcement-from-billy-corgan-about-new-smashing-pumpkins-album):

I'm happy to finally announce the plans for the new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Recording began yesterday, September 15th, 2009 on the new record which will be entitled 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope'. The album will feature 44 songs, 4 of which are now being recorded. My desire is to release a song at a time beginning around Halloween of this year, with each new release coming shortly after until all 44 are out. Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.

We will however sell highly limited edition EP's (of 4 songs each times 11), and details of how those EP's will be made available are still being worked out. Because the songs themselves will be free, the EP's will be more like collectors items for the discerning fan who will want the art itself, along with the highest possible audio quality available. The EP's will be more like mini-box sets rather than your normal cd single. We may also offer other variations for sale, say for example a digital single with a demo version of a song. The commitment that is most important is the one I'm making to you: that the music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' will be available for free to everyone. All 44 songs: free for ALL.

When the entire album is finished, it will be compiled into a deluxe box set which will also be made available for sale. Those who have bought the EP's need not worry, as the box set will not be a recompilation of the limited edition pieces.

The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

The music of 'Teargarden by Kaleidyscope' harkens back to the original psychedelic roots of The Smashing Pumpkins: atmospheric, melodic, heavy, and pretty.

I already have 53 songs written for the record, so I am quite confident that I already have much of the material that I would need to undertake such an extensive project. I am very committed to seeing this album through to its completion and very, very excited about the prospect of delivering new Smashing Pumpkins music to you in a unique and exciting way.

dff_punk
09-17-2009, 03:39 PM
44 songs??!? Bloody hell!!

m.offspring.r
09-17-2009, 03:54 PM
wooow

now I waiting for this release :)

Outerspaceman21
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Thats fucking awesome. Zeitgeist was amazing. I'm glad Billy is keeping it going.

Ryder1234
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
wut no way

I must say, this is awesome news. I'll be eagerly awaiting it.

Alex101
09-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Since the new album will have 44 songs, I wonder if it's gonna be a double album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Free?
09-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Cool, imma thinkin these guys are alright.

findout5
09-19-2009, 06:48 AM
It's gonna be a great process :) Getting new songs and digesting them slowly...nice!

m.offspring.r
09-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Since the new album will have 44 songs, I wonder if it's gonna be a double album like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

for me, the best album :)

ThunderPX
09-19-2009, 08:15 AM

Well unless every song is one minute long...

Blitz!
09-19-2009, 12:33 PM
This is great news ... must make sure I get my hands on some of those :)

chicapowerpunk
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM
It's the fashion, from Radiohead...who's next?:confused:;)

dexter12296566
09-20-2009, 01:28 PM
People can get it for free?

Superdope
09-20-2009, 02:25 PM
The story of the album is based on 'The Fool's Journey', as signified in the progress of the Tarot. It is my intention to approach this by breaking down the journey of our life here into four phases as made by these different characters; the Child, the Fool, the Skeptic, and the Mystic.

Static Martyr already did it.

Free?
09-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Holy shit, Tim should totally sue them and buy a proper living drummer.

Llamas
09-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd do a screenprint, but I'm too lazy - I love that Free? is the last poster right now, because it says "Smashing Pumpkins releasing a new album for free" and then (last post by) "Free?" :D

offsrx
02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
It's the fashion, from Radiohead...who's next?:confused:;)

Actually it's the fashion of The Offspring, remember?
Except, their label forbidden them to do such thing because, they were in the middle in a lawsuit with napster, so if they had allowed it to the offspring (to release CO1 for free), they'd be demanting themselfs! Too bad The Offspring couldn't do that.. Then they'd be the 1st band in history of music to release full album for free, and a lot of people would be into their music..
But Now, I think that for next album they should do it just like Radiohead did it; If you want the album - download it; if you wanna pay for it - pay as much as you want it.
I dunno how Billy Corgan have done that but - that's a really cool move :)

Rag Doll
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
If you want to get really technical, the Smashing Pumpkins already did it. They only released 25 hard copies of Machina II in 2000, which were given to only close friends (not sold). There were instructions with the disc on how to distribute it for free on the internet.

So, I guess, Billy Corgan is ripping off Billy Corgan. Just sayin'.

nieh
02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
That bastard seems to be doing everything in his power to destroy Billy Corgan's good name.

cool 2 hate 681
02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
isn't this the same concept the bouncing souls did with their 20th anniversary series? i'll probably wait until all the songs are out before i listen to it

SweetTatyana
02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
That is really cool, I will definitely be checking this out. :)

Oh a related, kind of weird topic, has anyone heard that Billy Corgan is dating Jessica Simpson? I know I shouldnt care about celebrity gossip but like, I thought Jessica Simpson was what Billy Corgan hated about the world lol

jacknife737
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I hate this "song per month" thing, regardless of who does it.

I always just end up waiting until they've all been released and then listen to it like an album anyways.

Superdope
02-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I hate this "song per month" thing, regardless of who does it.

I always just end up waiting until they've all been released and then listen to it like an album anyways.

And this is why I think the concept of an album is something that won't be going away anytime soon. There will always be people who appreciate a complete package, rather than just song after song.

offsrx
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
If you want to get really technical, the Smashing Pumpkins already did it. They only released 25 hard copies of Machina II in 2000, which were given to only close friends (not sold). There were instructions with the disc on how to distribute it for free on the internet.

So, I guess, Billy Corgan is ripping off Billy Corgan. Just sayin'.

bah that doesn't counts! He gave it as you've said "to only close friends", and those friends - may have or not have distributed the record for free on internet.
But THE Offspring wanted to DO IT WITH MAJOR LABEL! ON A GLOBAL WAY!
too bad they couldn't have done it.. But it matters that they tried :P ;)

Rooster
02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
And this is why I think the concept of an album is something that won't be going away anytime soon. There will always be people who appreciate a complete package, rather than just song after song.

This.

Unfortunately less and less albums feel like albums these days. They usually end up just like a collection of singles or something, songs just don't seem to fit together/flow very well. At least that's how i feel about some of the latest releases. Luckilly there still are some exceptions (Black Gives Way to Blue for example, i still can't get over how good that album is, and every song on it is just in the right place).

Rag Doll
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
bah that doesn't counts! He gave it as you've said "to only close friends", and those friends - may have or not have distributed the record for free on internet.
But THE Offspring wanted to DO IT WITH MAJOR LABEL! ON A GLOBAL WAY!
too bad they couldn't have done it.. But it matters that they tried :P ;)

But they DID distribute it online. Many of the "close friends" it was given to were also super fans that worked for their website or other things along those lines. It was put up on the largest SP fansite nearly immediately after release.

nieh
02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
But they DID distribute it online. Many of the "close friends" it was given to were also super fans that worked for their website or other things along those lines. It was put up on the largest SP fansite nearly immediately after release.

They didn't give it to Mark by any chance, did they?