PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused...

KrispyNotKrunchy
09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Okay, I've been a die hard Offspring fan for over 10 years. I know all their songs, including all of their unreleased songs (i.e. from singles or soundtracks).

That being said, I'm really confused about something I found on Wikipedia. It says on the Million Miles Away CD Single Version 3, there is a song called "Dare to Be Stupid"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Miles_Away

So then I typed that song title into Google, and didn't find hardly anything, except for this completely different Wikipedia article for an Offspring compliation titled "Different Hits"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different_Hits_(The_Offspring_album)

And it says 3 or 4 more songs I have never heard of... Now I'm pretty sure these are all fake, but what the hell? How did this stuff get on Wikipedia without anyone ever noticing? It says it was released in 2005, so I assume its been there since then.

It's kind of ridiculous, and says that Johnny Knoxville plays the drums on 3 songs.

randman21
09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Dude, it's fake.

EDIT: Take a look at the sites that the "professional reviews" links take you to.

Thomas
09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that second link is completely made up. None of that junk is true.

KHWHD
09-18-2009, 10:04 PM
It's kind of ridiculous, and says that Johnny Knoxville plays the drums on 3 songs.

I had no idea he even played drums. :confused:

ConspiracyofMegs
09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think he does. lol.

But yeah, Wikipedia makes me giggle sometimes. ahaha

BKDH_1984
09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Wikipedia, you can edit fake from real.

KrispyNotKrunchy
09-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, I was 99% sure it was fake before I started this thread, I was just so flabbergasted I had to share. I know and understand that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone who signs up for an account, but I thought there were checks and balances involving approval and citations and whatnot... I didn't think you could just create an entirely fictional compilation by a real artist and write whatever the hell you wanted and have it stay there for 4+ years.

Little_Miss_1565
09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh, I was 99% sure it was fake before I started this thread, I was just so flabbergasted I had to share. I know and understand that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone who signs up for an account, but I thought there were checks and balances involving approval and citations and whatnot... I didn't think you could just create an entirely fictional compilation by a real artist and write whatever the hell you wanted and have it stay there for 4+ years.

There are no fact-checkers on Wikipedia. The wiki model relies on the users to edit out false information.

Jojan
09-20-2009, 02:00 PM
If something's strange on Wikipedia use one of the templates to notify others that something's odd. Write in the discussion page and edit the page. Then keep an eye on the article and see if someone else notices.

randman21
09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
...Does anybody else find it really bizarre when Jojan gives actual good advice? :P

Wow, has it been there that long? I think I saw that page last year some time, but 4 years is ridiculous without an edit. Maybe everyone was as confused as you.

RageAndLov
09-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Notes

This album doesn't exist.

Are you guys blind?

randman21
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Haha. I think that was just added. I would have seen that because I remember reading the bullet point under "General references".

Ryder1234
09-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Lol! I added that last night :D

KrispyNotKrunchy
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
No that definately wasn't there earlier because I read every part of the page, looking at where the links actually went and whatnot... But that's a good addition to the page - thanks for that clarification :)

KrispyNotKrunchy
09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Just for everyone's info, I just edited the Million Miles Away Wikipedia page and deleted the bullshit about the fictional "Dare to Be Stupid" song, so now the world is a slightly better place in which to live.

Ryder1234
09-21-2009, 10:12 PM
No that definately wasn't there earlier because I read every part of the page, looking at where the links actually went and whatnot... But that's a good addition to the page - thanks for that clarification :)

no problem :)

I wonder how confused people would get after reading an article and then having it say it doesn't exist at the bottom. "Woah, that's beyond comprehension" :D

nancyoff
09-22-2009, 07:24 PM
that's something
ridiculous! :eek:

OfFsPrInG RuLeS!!!!