PDA

View Full Version : BBS Covers Vol. II

T-6005
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
It seems like it's been long enough since the last batch of covers to do this again, and since the Your Band section has no common project currently ongoing that I know of, it seems like the perfect time for another round of BBS covers!

Assuming we get more than, say, four interested members, we can get this party started.

The rules are simple - you pick a song to cover which is originally by a BBS artist. Covering llamas' The Surge, Against Belief's Standing Tall or The Fisticuffs' Fifty-First in Line is cool.

However, if a band has themselves made a cover of another song, it clearly falls outside the boundary. I know you all like Ich Bin Fruh Raus and the Static Martyr Generator cover, and we're all huge fans of Homer's video game covers - but it has to be an original by another BBS artist.

So, in the spirit of getting this party started, I'm claiming Randy's O.L.E as the one I intend to tackle this time. If you're into the idea, Randy, it'd make my job easier if you'd send me the chords and lyrics.

By the by - don't be afraid to ask for the artist's cooperation in your cover, such as chords and lyrics and the little things that make songs awesome.

Go!

__________________________________________________ _________

Thibault - O.L.E (Fisticuffs Cover)
Homer - Bed Religion/Voice of a Million
Static Martyr - ?
llamas - ?
ad8 - Edification (Against Belief Cover)
Randman - ?

Llamas
09-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Well I've got no instruments... I do have my mic again when I got my suitcase back, and one of the people I'm currently living with has two guitars. I might be able to use them, and I can always use acoustica beatcraft... but no keyboard or horns would probably make a recording by me kinda blah. So we'll see... but if I do something, it'd probably be something off the most recent mixtape.

randman21
09-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Major damnz. I feel bad that I never did the covers that I was going to last time. I swear I was going to...It's definite this time, though!

So, in the spirit of getting this party started, I'm claiming Randy's O.L.E as the one I intend to tackle this time. If you're into the idea, Randy, it'd make my job easier if you'd send me the chords and lyrics.

Yes! I can't wait to hear this. Luckily, I laid out the chord progression of the whole song for someone else months ago. I'll see if it's still in my sent folder.

EDIT: Here it is. It didn't occur to me that I could just put the letter when referring to a major chord (ie G, as opposed to GM), so that's what that's about.

Verse:

Em, DM, CM, GM, F#/GM
Em, DM, CM, GM, BM

Instrumental Part after verse:

Em, GM, CM, DM
Em, GM, DM, CM

Chorus:

Em, GM, CM, DM
Em, GM, CM, DM, BM
Em, GM, CM, DM
Em, GM, CM, DM

Solo:

CM, GM, DM, Em, DM
CM, GM, DM, Em, DM
CM, DM, BM
----------

T-6005
09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Great, thanks! I'm busier than expected this week, but I'll learn the song over the weekend. I feel it's unfair not to give people several weeks to record their covers - after all, the point is to have another version of people's songs, not to ruin them (not intentionally, anyway).

Hopefully we'll get one or two people who declare for a particular song, but until then it's pretty open.

Static_Martyr
09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I've already decided which band I'm covering, I just need awhile to listen through the discography and decide which particular number I can do the most justice to :D

Homer
09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I'll cover something, but don't expect much from me...

I'm busy these days.

ad8
09-25-2009, 05:32 AM
I'll try to cover something, but I don't have a lot of time on my hands... so I'm not sure if I'll get something done. I'll post the songs that I'd like to cover later.

T-6005
09-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I think I'll just edit the first post as we go along.

There are 6 of us who have expressed a willingness to do things, but so far only I've picked a song. Just post when you decide and I'll update it.

Homer
09-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Since I'm a faggot and don't really explore anyone else's music, I'll stick to the Mixtape for my knowledge of others' songs (sorry, everybody).

Here's two that I'm wanting to cover:

RiceTigers - Bad Religion
T-6005 - Voice of a Million

ad8
09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Since I'm a faggot and don't really explore anyone else's music, I'll stick to the Mixtape for my knowledge of others' songs (sorry, everybody).

Here's two that I'm wanting to cover:

RiceTigers - Bad Religion
T-6005 - Voice of a Million

lolfag.
I think I'll go with Edification then ;)

(DISCLAIMER:Post made drunx, so don't expect anyrhing to happen for sure :D

randman21
09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Heh, you are too drunk to state that your song is, in fact, called "Bed Religion".

Homer
09-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I think I'll go with Edification then ;)

Shit, that's quite ambitious.

I think Edification is the song I had the most trouble with when recording, as it demanded the most out of my abilities.

ad8
09-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Heh, you are too drunk to state that your song is, in fact, called "Bed Religion".
:D

Shit, that's quite ambitious.

I think Edification is the song I had the most trouble with when recording, as it demanded the most out of my abilities.
Umm.... ok:D Well, I think I have to at least try it;) But I have one question: How did you create the sound at the beginning of the song? It sounds like a chord played backwards or something:confused:

Homer
09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
:D

Umm.... ok:D Well, I think I have to at least try it;) But I have one question: How did you create the sound at the beginning of the song? It sounds like a chord played backwards or something:confused:

I played the bass, and reversed the sound while fading it in.

So... you pretty much got it right.

ad8
09-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Alright, I've managed to take some time and record my cover of Against Belief's song Edification. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C0K5YO21

Homer
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Excellent stuff, man. I liked what you did with the solos, and the 'dueling voices' of sorts. I very much like Edification, and it's good to hear a second take on it!

Here's the original, for those of you who haven't heard it. (http://www.servercrashers.com/site_files/Edification.mp3)

ad8
09-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Excellent stuff, man. I liked what you did with the solos, and the 'dueling voices' of sorts. I very much like Edification, and it's good to hear a second take on it!

Here's the original, for those of you who haven't heard it. (http://www.servercrashers.com/site_files/Edification.mp3)

Thanks:) I still prefer your version over mine since I think your vocals are just perfectly suited for this song. I'd love to be able to sing as high as you do... but on the other hand my voice is also nice in certain situations... well, whatever:D

T-6005
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Holy crap.

Nice cover, ad8 - totally surprised at the speed with which you completed it. I've barely even started learning Randy's song and it'll be mid-october at least before I get around to recording a cover. Way to be on top of that metaphorical Your Band ball.

randman21
10-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Yes, Adrian's machine-like efficiency has been commented on many times before. It's very impressive. Great cover of a very beastly song.

ad8
10-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Holy crap.

Nice cover, ad8 - totally surprised at the speed with which you completed it. I've barely even started learning Randy's song and it'll be mid-october at least before I get around to recording a cover. Way to be on top of that metaphorical Your Band ball.

Yes, Adrian's machine-like efficiency has been commented on many times before. It's very impressive. Great cover of a very beastly song.

Hehe, thanks:D I'm glad you like the cover. I sometimes think I could work a little longer on projects like this, but on the other hand I'm not the kind of person who is able to work on such a project for a longer period of time since I would most likely forget it:o

T-6005
10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Just popping in to let everyone know I still intend to go forward with this - I'm tossing around some concepts for my O.L.E cover which could turn out well (I'm hoping) and I'll probably get to recording next week sometime.

skyragrid
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.

ad8
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much more for the post. It's even more useful...

ps: Where are the covers?:p

ad8
10-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Bump. ...:D

T-6005
10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
I've finally started movement on my cover. Instrumentation's partly being done today, partly through the weekend. I'm getting two wisdom teeth out on Friday so vocals will unfortunately have to wait until I've recovered.

Homer
10-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I've had no time to work on mine...

So they probably won't happen. SORRY.

T-6005
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
It's alright, though it's too bad - I was hoping to hear that Voice of a Million cover.

Again, don't feel pressured to put out anything right away. I still intend to do this cover, and though it's taking far longer than I expected, I think I'm much happier with what I've got now than if I'd just covered the song exactly.

It's just for fun, in the end.

T-6005
10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Finally finished my cover of randman's O.L.E. Took me a lot longer than I expected, both because it took forever to come to a version I was satisfied with and because I've been surprisingly busy lately and unable to find the time to pour quality work in and make it a good cover.

I've changed the song - not in structure or in content, really, but definitely in tempo, key, and instrumentation. I figured if I'm going to do a cover of a good rockish/poppish song I may as well give it some sort of interesting twist to justify the effort. I think it turned out pretty alright, though unfortunately there were elements I enjoyed in the original that I had trouble fitting into the way this cover was going (the harmony voices in the chorus being the biggest ones) and which I just ended up leaving out.

Anywho, after more than a month, Randy, here's your cover. I hope you find it worthy of the song you wrote.

Megaupload Link (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1HC1M9N2)

_Lost_
10-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Randy, I know your songs seem to get a lot of attention, but what are the chords for Going Down? lol and the lyrics. I have an idea. I don't know if I'll be able to do it, but I wanna try.

T-6005
11-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Come on dudes, I worked really hard!

ad8
11-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Good job, Thi. This is a very creative approach to the song. Also, the guitar solo sounds delicious!

randman21
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Good job, Thi. This is a very creative approach to the song. Also, the guitar solo sounds delicious!
I agree. It's awesome! This was a really creative effort, one I'm sure I couldn't have thought of. The vibe of the song is completely different, yet it is just as urgent as the original. And of course, the solo is just great. I may have more to say after I listen to it again. I'll get on it a little later.

T-6005
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Glad you like it. Randy's guitar solo fit the original so well I couldn't just let it go, so I figured out how most of it went and adapted the first half of the solo to the way my version went, then kind of rewrote the rest a little bit.

I agree. It's awesome! This was a really creative effort, one I'm sure I couldn't have thought of. The vibe of the song is completely different, yet it is just as urgent as the original. And of course, the solo is just great. I may have more to say after I listen to it again. I'll get on it a little later.

Glad you liked it so much! I was afraid you'd think I'd tainted the heart of the original. I'd love to hear anything else you have to say about it.

Homer
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Yoyoyoyo, I checked that shit out, IS TIGHT!

But really, yeah. Good job. definitely not what I expected. Very mellow, easy to listen to, and a great cover. It kinda inspires me to finish the ones I've set out to do, but I've been busy as shit.

Homer
01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
So, guess what I've finished!!!11

Bed Religion - The RiceTigers (http://servercrashers.com/music/Bed%20Religion.mp3)
Right Click > Save File As

Eff yeah, it's done! Maybe one of these days I'll also get around to completing Voice of a Million...

Ryder1234
01-29-2010, 01:06 AM
In ur thread (well, actually Thi's...) giving you a thumbs up http://offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Great job man.

ad8
01-29-2010, 03:05 PM
So, guess what I've finished!!!11

Bed Religion - The RiceTigers (http://servercrashers.com/music/Bed%20Religion.mp3)
Right Click > Save File As

Eff yeah, it's done! Maybe one of these days I'll also get around to completing Voice of a Million...
Wow, this cover kicks ass! You did a really great job on that one... thanks, man!