PDA

View Full Version : Is Obama president of the world?

Bejka
09-26-2009, 12:57 PM
It seems like he is! Everytime I see him on TV, they say "President Obama" not "US president Obama". If there is another president, they say "Austrian president" or "Italian president"...
It irritates me :mad:

wheelchairman
09-26-2009, 01:34 PM
They say "President Obama" because you'd have to be retarded not to know who that is.

Whereas most people don't remember the name of the Austrian Prime Minister. Although Berlusconi is a memorable character so that seems unnecessary.

EDIT: Italy also has a Prime Minister, not a President.

Apathy
09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Actually Italy has a president and a prime minister.

Llamas
09-26-2009, 04:08 PM
It seems like he is! Everytime I see him on TV, they say "President Obama" not "US president Obama". If there is another president, they say "Austrian president" or "Italian president"...
Yes, in fact, he is. America > Slovakia. Now stfu.

dexter12296566
09-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I agree that they should specify that Obama is only president of America. They specify the countries of other presidents. America is no more important than any other country and the fact that he is African-American does not make him better than the other presidents of the world.

chicapowerpunk
09-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Well Bejka,could it be, if you use Natural Deduction Method,Obama is a T:V. like a friend of all contrys???

Al Coholic
09-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I agree that they should specify that Obama is only president of America. They specify the countries of other presidents. America is no more important than any other country and the fact that he is African-American does not make him better than the other presidents of the world.
The fuck does that have to do with anything?

And what WCM said. It's tedious to say "President of the United States of America, Barack Obama" everytime. Besides, once you introduce a more obscure world leader they'll just refer to him as president ____, or just by his last name.

Little_Miss_1565
09-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry, I guess next time your country should elect a total badass to the presidency.

wheelchairman
09-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Actually Italy has a president and a prime minister.

Right you are, and no one's ever heard of him. So it makes sense they would say "Italian President."

:p

Free?
09-27-2009, 03:29 AM
if you use Natural Deduction Method,Obama is a T:V.
This.

Also I think "President Obama" is a really stupid way of calling him.
Emperor Obama sounds just so much better.

BKDH_1984
09-27-2009, 03:32 AM
But I miss Bill Clinton. :(

Harleyquiiinn
09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry, I guess next time your country should elect a total badass to the presidency.

Sorry, but I think it is a little soon for that...Sure, he's better than Bush, but he was elected less than a year ago... it's a little too soon to see if he is really good or not. I remember that he gave me the sensation of being half in favor or against every topic.
Now, he starts to grow on me with this healthcare thing, though.

That said, I'd trade Sarko for him anytime...

Bejka
09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
They say "President Obama" because you'd have to be retarded not to know who that is.

Whereas most people don't remember the name of the Austrian Prime Minister. Although Berlusconi is a memorable character so that seems unnecessary.

EDIT: Italy also has a Prime Minister, not a President.

hehehehe classic american moment :D

Anyway, it's not Obama' s fault of course, although I think he feels like president of the world.

Little_Miss_1565
09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry, but I think it is a little soon for that...Sure, he's better than Bush, but he was elected less than a year ago... it's a little too soon to see if he is really good or not. I remember that he gave me the sensation of being half in favor or against every topic.
Now, he starts to grow on me with this healthcare thing, though.

That said, I'd trade Sarko for him anytime...

My comment had nothing to do with the quality of job he may or may not be doing as president. He is a badass. This is a fact.

hehehehe classic american moment :D

Anyway, it's not Obama' s fault of course, although I think he feels like president of the world.

WCM lives in Denmark. Classic snotty European moment?

You seem to be projecting a lot on the forums lately. First on Green Day, now on Obama. What's up?

Bejka
09-27-2009, 01:19 PM
is he? but it's an american moment anyway.

it seems like you are reading everything I post, what's up? Ignore me if you don't like me or stop complaining.

Harleyquiiinn
09-27-2009, 01:21 PM
My comment had nothing to do with the quality of job he may or may not be doing as president. He is a badass. This is a fact.

WCM lives in Denmark. Classic snotty European moment?

You seem to be projecting a lot on the forums lately. First on Green Day, now on Obama. What's up?

To be very honest, I didn't find that the comment about Green Day being "too american" was anti american at all... Maybe you interpreted it as being offensive, but I am pretty sure it wasn't meant that way... Bejka, you tell me if I'm wrong

So for Obama, you are only referring to the fact that he can kill flies like a ninja ? :D

Oh, it's not that bad. It could be worse. We could be saddled with Berlusconi.

Ah, I used to think the same but I don't buy it anymore. Maybe Berlusconi owns the media but Sarko is currently a plaintiff against a politician adversary eventhough he benefits of immunity and he's supposed to guarantee the independance of the courts. There is something really wrong here too. And it is just an example. Sarko doesn't care about the separation of powers, this is just an obstacle to him and when you don't believe in that separation, you don't believe in democracy. So yeah, Berlusconi is terrible. Sarko is not better.

Little_Miss_1565
09-27-2009, 01:21 PM
If you want to take such pride in taking stands against big evil America, you should probably have thicker skin.

Maybe you should also consider posting less obnoxious threads, then I will be much less likely to pay this much attention to them.

Bejka
09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
To be very honest, I didn't find that the comment about Green Day being "too american" was anti american at all... Maybe you interpreted it as being offensive, but I am pretty sure it wasn't meant that way... Bejka, you tell me if I'm wrong

So for Obama, you are only referring to the fact that he can kill flies like a ninja ? :D

of course there was nothing offensive, I just wrote that it seems to me like they making music for US people, not for everyone. My opinion my my my and my

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
is he? but it's an american moment anyway.

it seems like you are reading everything I post, what's up? Ignore me if you don't like me or stop complaining.

So you say that you know not only what political system the states of Europe have, but also what type of executive positions they have in their political systems as well?

Because I don't think most Europeans do. Out of curiosity, do you know what Hungary has, and if so what their names are? (For those not in the know, Hungary borders Slovakia, and also I did not know either.)

I find it interesting how Europeans are shockingly arrogant about American ignorance, yet know very little about their neighboring countries. Most Danes would not know who the Prime Minister of Sweden is, or even the name of the Queen.

So that's one of the things that bothers me about the rather common anti-American sentiment in Europe, its blatant hypocrisy.

p.s. you don't need to answer the question as this is the internet and I wouldn't know if you looked it up anyway.

Little_Miss_1565
09-28-2009, 07:54 AM
of course there was nothing offensive, I just wrote that it seems to me like they making music for US people, not for everyone. My opinion my my my and my

This argument is such a cop-out. I see it on the forums all the time, and in real life too. Someone says something intentionally provocative and backpedals by saying "well, it's just my opinion." If you're going to spout a bullshit opinion, don't be surprised when someone challenges you on it, and don't cry about it being your "opinion."

Little_Miss_1565
09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Where did she attack Obama? Didn't she attack people who don't add 'US president' in front of his name?

I didn't say "attack," I said she was "projecting." That is where someone feels a certain way and they mentally rearrange facts to suit their own interpretation of events. And she does that here:

She says it's not Obama's fault that other people just call him "President Obama," even though that's his title and how he should be referenced wherever he is in the world, just as no one here would ever say "Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair." He's just "Prime Minister Blair." If it's someone in the news a lot, people know who they are. It's the "I think he feels like president of the world" that is the part that would seem to signal some projecting.

Maybe you should stop interpreting her posts in the most negative way. Try to understand them first and then attack if it's needed.

You're new here so I'll chalk this up to that.

Oxygene
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
We are part of Visegrad 4. Our presidents meet once a year I think. If people watch news they should know. Would be interesting to make a survey about it.

she doesn't know.. and who gives a fuck anyway, but wheelchair guy is right. It is blatant hyporcrisy

Llamas
09-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I find it interesting how Europeans are shockingly arrogant about American ignorance, yet know very little about their neighboring countries. Most Danes would not know who the Prime Minister of Sweden is, or even the name of the Queen.

My friend from Sweden recently said to me on facebook, "Hope you're having a great time in Checkoslovakia!"

Someone from Sweden... doesn't know that Czechoslovakia isn't a country anymore, AND spells it (very) wrong. So yeah, I fully agree with your point. Hell, I'm practically in love with Europe and I only know the names of like 4 political executives in the entire continent.

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
We are part of Visegrad 4. Our presidents meet once a year I think. If people watch news they should know. Would be interesting to make a survey about it.
What bothers me about Vysegrad is that every country has its own way of spelling it. I finished my bachelor project about Polish foreign policy, I was reading English texts, a friend was reading Polish and another was reading Danish. Vejsgrad, Vysegrad, Visegrad. Although I suspect the Danish spelling is that way due to it being from an older book.

But I mean Denmark is part of Scandinavia, we should know just as much about Sweden as you do about Hungary. To be honest I couldn't name any political leaders in Scandinavia outside of Denmark. Although I am aware of the fact that the Prime Minister of Finland looks like Conan O'brien.

But at least we don't have the godawful sex scandals Berlusconi is positively steeped in.
True, but Berlusconi wouldn't be Berlusconi without the godawful sex scandals. This must be a turning point for France, where the French look vastly superior to the backwards Italians for once. I mean where the public at least is aware that France is for once. ;)

Jesus
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM
They just call him Captain America here.

Anyway, the reason the US (and to a lesser extent the UK) gets so much media attention is imo not a direct result of it's power, but an indirect one namely the dominancy of the English language. Most journalists aren't that fluent in other non native languages besides English.

And for what it's worth US media usually uses 'British Prime Minister' though.

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 02:08 PM
You know who the Prime Minister of Holland is?

I asked Tizz today if she knew who the Prime Minister of Belgium was. (She didn't.) Also I'll give you a hint, apparently the PM of Holland looks like Harry Potter. (It's not Daniel Radcliffe)

Jesus
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah one of our ministers once referred to Balkenende as Harry Potter. It was a bit of a diplomatic problem. They don't like it when foreigners use it. :(

I know Dutch politics quite well, then again I'm pretty much a news junkie and I also watch a bunch of Dutch political related (talk)shows. I think I'm able to name all their parties (and party leaders), gov coalition, most of their ministers and a bunch of people in their parliament.

We do have more Dutch related topics in the news compared to their Belgian coverage I think. And when they talk about Belgium they are actually talking about Flanders from what I have seen.

And it doesn't really surprise me that she doesn't know who our PM is. We're not a very stable country (politically) compared to Holland and our PM has only been in office for like 9 months. They usually do know Guy Verhofstadt, since he was in office for 9 years.

wheelchairman
09-28-2009, 02:31 PM
So your PM has finally reached the length of office that was as long as the length of time your country had no government?

Because that was insane.

kaylae
09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
In a way Obama practically is president of the world because America is pretty much the last remaining super power and a lot of what happens in politics there affects of lot of the rest of the world. I know it's early days yet, but I think Obama is a pretty good guy xx

Upgrayedd
09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm curious, in other countries did they usually say "US President George Bush" or did they drop the US part like they do with Obama?

TheOldMark
09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
we get "prime minister _____" not "(insert country) prime minister ____"

When Bush was in power, did they say "US President Bush"? or "President Bush"?

two thoughts here:
1. everyone in the world knows Obama is the President of the US. No one is going to be confused.

2. (You're looking at a deeper picture...) The United States is, like it or not, the most powerful nation on the planet, and leader of the planet. I live in the US, and I do not necessarily agree that this should be so. However, thats how it is, and Obama is the leader of the US, and consequently he is a world leader, the most powerful world leader.

Free?
09-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Tell me more, gentlemen. *pats his Master Mason gloves*

Little_Miss_1565
09-29-2009, 07:52 AM
The United States is, like it or not, the most powerful nation on the planet, and leader of the planet. I live in the US, and I do not necessarily agree that this should be so. However, thats how it is, and Obama is the leader of the US, and consequently he is a world leader, the most powerful world leader.

At least until the Chinese invade. ;)

Apathy
09-29-2009, 12:24 PM
This thread reeks of realism.

State of nature ftw!

Oxygene
09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
At least until the Chinese invade. ;)

or ask for their money back..

that's pretty much the same thing I guess.

Upgrayedd
09-29-2009, 08:43 PM
or ask for their money back..

that's pretty much the same thing I guess.

Heh, good luck getting it. We don't have any money to give back. Maybe we could just offer them Alaska:D

Paint_It_Black
09-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Yes, in fact, he is. America > Slovakia. Now stfu.

I'm going to have to disagree with that. Whether America is greater than Slovakia is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Also, if you are going to tell us that Obama is the president of the world you should really include a spoiler warning first. I did not know that he was president of the world so you have now spoiled that for me. Even though the title of the thread clearly suggests it would be discussed somewhere in here you should have given me a warning that you were going to discuss explicit details of the content we are here by definition to discuss. There is no way I could reasonably be expected to assume that, after all.

Obama is the leader of the US, and consequently he is a world leader, the most powerful world leader.

To his credit he tries very hard to discourage this idea of him as the leader of the world, or even as the most powerful leader. I love his respectful team-player style.

darea
09-30-2009, 04:10 AM
I have a feeling that in France they say "le Président Obama". I don't see what's wrong, as long as you're talking about a well-known President, to call him President and his name. It seems pretty obvious what country he is president of.
And often, we just call them by name, like Tony Blair rather than "le Premier Ministre, Tony Blair". It would depend what country you're in, and how well you're supposed to know Presidents and such things. I think Berlusconi is just called Berlusconi, and that's all.
What's wrong with President Obama? I'm sure it was the same with Clinton, Bush, etc.

Obama is the President of the most powerful country in the world, not of THE world. He's a president and Obama's his name, what other (longer) way to you want him to be called?

Jesus
09-30-2009, 04:50 AM
So your PM has finally reached the length of office that was as long as the length of time your country had no government?

Because that was insane.

Haha, well it's actually worse. Realistically speaking we were without a meaningful federal government between June 2007 and December 2008 (we had a couple of 'interim' coalitions for a few weeks in that period, but they didn't do much actual governing). So that's one and a half years, so he still has some time to do.

Although it depends on how you define being in office or having a government. If you just considering being sworn etc in as a sufficient condition then we do have a federal government. But if you consider the act of governing, making legislation etc as more important then it's still debatable...

In the meantime local governments are doing their best to fill the void by launching brilliant initiatives though. Like a plan to do something about our government debt, so the kids of today don't have to pay it off when they are adults. The plan is to save on education: cut teachers salaries, hire less teachers and increase the amount of pupils in classrooms.
Reality is too ironic.

Thomas
09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
I have always heard The President of Iran referred to as "President Ahmadinejad", so does that make him president of the world?

Llamas
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Whether America is greater than Slovakia is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Also, if you are going to tell us that Obama is the president of the world you should really include a spoiler warning first. I did not know that he was president of the world so you have now spoiled that for me. Even though the title of the thread clearly suggests it would be discussed somewhere in here you should have given me a warning that you were going to discuss explicit details of the content we are here by definition to discuss. There is no way I could reasonably be expected to assume that, after all.
Was there any point here other than to irreverently mock me? The first part is dumb because I was being fully sarcastic, and wasn't saying anything that would involve opinion or fact... and the second part, well I wasn't the only or even the FIRST person who thought it was rude, and it's pretty damn weird that you'd come do this out of nowhere in a completely different part of the forum.

I have always heard The President of Iran referred to as "President Ahmadinejad", so does that make him president of the world?
I've actually just heard him called "Ahmadinejad" mostly... does that mean that he's above the president because everyone should just know him by first name?? Oh and I constantly hear "Chancellor Merkel", not "German Chancellor Merkel". She must be chancellor of the world...

kaylae
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I guess if the news article is in context they wouldn't need to introduce the country the president or prime minister was from. If it was a news item about the states they wouldn't say us president Obama and if it was a news article about Iran they wouldn't say Iran president Ahmadinejad xx

Thomas
09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I've actually just heard him called "Ahmadinejad" mostly... does that mean that he's above the president because everyone should just know him by first name?? Oh and I constantly hear "Chancellor Merkel", not "German Chancellor Merkel". She must be chancellor of the world...

Ahmadinejad is his last name...

*pinches cheeks*

Llamas
09-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Ahmadinejad is his last name...

*pinches cheeks*

lol touche. I totally knew that... fml.

Oxygene
09-30-2009, 01:45 PM
lol touche. I totally knew that... fml.

I thought his last name was

I'm in a dinna jacket

Paint_It_Black
10-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Was there any point here other than to irreverently mock me?

Not really, no.

it's pretty damn weird that you'd come do this out of nowhere in a completely different part of the forum.

I was bored *shrug*

Edit: Yeah it was pretty stupid. Sorry about that.

T-6005
10-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I guess I'm a little late on the first-page discussion of European politics, but I'd still like to chime in with how much of a fucking minefield it is.