PDA

View Full Version : Blink 182 thread

romerotxg
09-29-2009, 06:46 PM
in my opinion the best band ever (the offspring is my 3rd favorite)
so lets talk about blink

RODNEYMULLEN
09-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I love blink but tom sings like a fag now. I found this to be pretty interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVu8PQPu3jo&feature=related

cool 2 hate 681
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM

is green day your 2nd??

randman21
09-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I love blink but tom sings like a fag now. I found this to be pretty interesting

Dude. Seriously, if he sounds like that on the new album, I'm not buying it. And I might cry a little.

Apathy
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM

He doesn't sound anything like Elton John.

But your homophobic reaction aside, I actually like the new voice better. The old voice was pretty standard pop-punk snarl...which is fine. But it sounds like he's trying to do something different with it. It's a lot different, so I understand why big fans wouldn't like it...but its not a bad change in my opinion. He sounds more original.

Llamas
09-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I hate Tom's voice regardless and would prefer if Mark sang all the songs, but I also think his voice actually sounds more unique now. He's less nasally and typical sounding. I mean, he couldn't carry a tune then and he can't now, but at least now he seems to be trying to use a little bit of "style".

Watching that video made me realize something. If Tom could find a balance between the egotistical overly serious dick he was in Angels and Airwaves, and the intentionally immature and fart-joke obsessed idiot he was in Blink days... and kept working on actually being able to play guitar (he definitely seemed to have more control over the guitaring in the newer video, though he still kinda sucks)... I might actually be able to like the new blink material.

Ninty Man
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
so lets talk about blink

No .

randman21
09-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Come on, guys. He sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait in that video. :(

No, but seriously, maybe it's because y'all don't listen to the radio, but I hear this voice with multiple bands, and this just sounds like a bad impression of it. It's like that melodramatic, gaspy voice that's big nowadays. I welcome change, but this...it would be like Dexter singing with a country drawl all of a sudden.

No .

Why do you come to every Blink 182 and Metallica thread and do this?

jacknife737
09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
He doesn't sound anything like Elton John.

But your homophobic reaction aside, I actually like the new voice better. The old voice was pretty standard pop-punk snarl...which is fine. But it sounds like he's trying to do something different with it. It's a lot different, so I understand why big fans wouldn't like it...but its not a bad change in my opinion. He sounds more original.

Thank you! I much prefer the "new" Tom voice to the "old" one.

I'm actually pretty excited to hear some new material from them; he just seemed more suited for pop punk rather than the arena rock that AVA tried to be.

RageAndLov
09-30-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't think I know of a worse band than Blink 182. How people manage to listen to them is beyond me.

IamSam
09-30-2009, 06:39 AM
The Leno performance was horrible and their first public performance. Nervous much? He has been much better on tour and was quite enjoyable to listen to when I saw them in St. Paul. The homophobic overreaction to their first performance is quite laughable.

Rooster
09-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Come on, guys. He sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait in that video. :(

No, but seriously, maybe it's because y'all don't listen to the radio, but I hear this voice with multiple bands, and this just sounds like a bad impression of it. It's like that melodramatic, gaspy voice that's big nowadays. I welcome change, but this...it would be like Dexter singing with a country drawl all of a sudden.

This. A thousand times this.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer. His voice live has never even come close to matching the albums, and he just really can't sing. Mark can sing... he sounds pretty much the same live as on the albums. But even that 1999 video showed Tom not sounding too good... and same goes for his guitar playing. I've watched a lot of live Blink videos, and I know a lot of people who saw them live and lost interest in them mostly due to Tom.

I mean, I don't care if people like them... I just think it's really weird and messed up when people say that Tom sounds "good" or is "talented" at singing or playing guitar ever. I feel like you'd have to be brainwashed... :D

Marco
09-30-2009, 07:38 AM
What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer. His voice live has never even come close to matching the albums, and he just really can't sing. Mark can sing... he sounds pretty much the same live as on the albums. But even that 1999 video showed Tom not sounding too good... and same goes for his guitar playing. I've watched a lot of live Blink videos, and I know a lot of people who saw them live and lost interest in them mostly due to Tom.

I mean, I don't care if people like them... I just think it's really weird and messed up when people say that Tom sounds "good" or is "talented" at singing or playing guitar ever. I feel like you'd have to be brainwashed... :D
I totally agree. I cannot say Blink sucks live, because people can really ahve a good time with 'em, but they're kind of...mediocre...on stage I mean.

Apathy
09-30-2009, 08:11 AM

I actually find that really funny because my friends and I agree that Dexter sounds like a he's got some funky country southern drawl in places of ignition and smash.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
I totally agree. I cannot say Blink sucks live, because people can really ahve a good time with 'em, but they're kind of...mediocre...on stage I mean.

Oh yeah, these days you don't have to be musically talented in order for people to have fun at your show. Hell, I'd probably have a blast at a Britney Spears show, and she's about as far from talented as they come :P I'm not saying they don't put on a fun show and that I'd be bored at one of their shows... but yeah, their musical ability... I really don't understand people!!

Apathy
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I think most people are willing to admit they don't have a lot of talent (except the band themselves, haha) but what they are good at is writing songs that are just plain fun. Not to mention it's hard to find stuff that's easier to sing along to because A.) its catchy and B.) they can't really sing so you don't have to either.

That being said, I don't think that a good voice really means anything. The Voice has to fit with the music. For instance I love Leftover Crack, and his voice is fucking dreadful. But it fits. Same with Mark/Tom. In any other band Tom's voice would be unnecessarily grating and Mark's would be boring. But as long as it's blink, they're both "good" singers.

Rooster
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
What I still honestly don't understand, though, is how anyone has ever thought Tom is a good singer...

He's nothing special. I just think that the way he sang previously fits him (and blink) better.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I think most people are willing to admit they don't have a lot of talent (except the band themselves, haha) but what they are good at is writing songs that are just plain fun. Not to mention it's hard to find stuff that's easier to sing along to because A.) its catchy and B.) they can't really sing so you don't have to either.
I can fully accept this. Their songs are straight up fun-catchy. But I do sometimes hear people saying that Tom is such a great singer and such a good musician... that's what I don't get.

That being said, I don't think that a good voice really means anything. The Voice has to fit with the music. For instance I love Leftover Crack, and his voice is fucking dreadful. But it fits. Same with Mark/Tom. In any other band Tom's voice would be unnecessarily grating and Mark's would be boring. But as long as it's blink, they're both "good" singers.
I also agree with this. I like Streetlight Manifesto, and that guy's got a pretty bad voice... but he also doesn't try to make his voice sound good on the albums. I've noticed that Tom sounds normal (like he does live, I mean) on like Dude Ranch Buddha and Cheshire, but on the later albums his voice is heavily altered. And people say he's a great singer. That's what bothers me.

dav0147
09-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Holy crap didnt realise how different he is now, sounded way better singing wise but his playing sounds alright

Llamas
09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
By the way, it's not homophobic to say someone sounds gay... not that I'm saying that Rodneymullin isn't homophobic (he probably is), but it's definitely not fair to jump to "homophobic" because of that.

IamSam
09-30-2009, 11:58 AM
By the way, it's not homophobic to say someone sounds gay... not that I'm saying that Rodneymullin isn't homophobic (he probably is), but it's definitely not fair to jump to "homophobic" because of that.

You are wrong. So so wrong. I just don't have the time or patience to explain why.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
You are wrong. So so wrong. I just don't have the time or patience to explain why.

Am I? Many people in the gay community use "gay" or "fag" in the same way. Hell, even I do. Last night, my sister's ex girlfriend and I were talking about old video game systems and we agreed that the coleco vision's game controllers look super gay... kinda hard to be homophobic when you yourself are gay... and not only gay people, but people who are fully supportive and actively campaign and vote for gay marriage use it. So I'm entirely unsure how saying "he sounds like a fag" automatically means that person is homophobic.

Apathy
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
You sound like such a offspring fan when you say stuff like that. (that is, you sound like a raging imbecile. Because that's what the connotation for offspring fan is now.)

riiiiiiight.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, I get the background of why people get all pc about it... it's "mean" to use "gay" as a synonym for "bad" or "stupid". But language evolves. Rape victims don't throw a fit over people saying "I got raped at the car dealership..." Just because "gay" has one meaning as "homosexual" doesn't mean that it can't carry another meaning as "stupid". "Fag" originally meant "bundle of sticks". We are fully capable of saying "that guy's a fag" only meaning "that guy is homosexual" without implying "that guy's a bundle of sticks". How is it so impossible to say "that's gay" meaning "that's stupid" without implying "that's homosexual"?

Sure, I get that "gay" became a synonym for "stupid" due to closed-minded idiots, but by acting offended by it and getting upset, we only perpetuate the problem. By letting language take its natural evolution and allowing "gay" to take on its new meaning, it loses that offensive angle. If only homophobes use it that way, people think it's offensive; if everyone uses it that way, they don't.

The thing that I truly don't understand is the fact that it seems to be mostly straight people who get upset about its usage (Hillary Duff starring in a commercial??). Most of the gay people I know don't care or even use it themselves.

I'm really amused that a conversation about the use of "gay" and "fag" is occurring in a thread about Blink 182 :P

Apathy
09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
considering the fact that the band members probably use them all the time, I'd say it qualifies as funny and Ironic.

But even so.

Rape victims don't throw a fit over people saying "I got raped at the car dealership..."
Yes they do. It doesn't make sense for you to just assume that another group of people wouldn't be offended by something when you're not standing in their place.

I'm willing to bet that If I made a thread about Whole Wheat Bread (http://www.myspace.com/wholewheatbread) and then went on to say that I didn't like the singer's voice because he sings like a nigger people would be pretty fucking pissed at me, and rightfully so. And I don't think that this is so different. Because Tom most likely isn't homosexual, but to say that he sounds like one implying a bad connotation is disrespectful to people who are gay.

And It doesn't matter that fag used to mean bundle of sticks, or a cigarette in England because those things don't carry a negative effect. No one would be mad if I started calling all Mexicans chairs because it doesn't mean shit but I'd still be profiling them in my own fucked up way.

Your argument that we should allow gay to take on its new meaning is nonsensical because you're basically saying that it doesn't become harmful if everyone started using it. Maybe we should all incorporate the word cunt into our daily discourse because hey if everyone used it then it wouldn't be offensive anymore. This is analogous to saying that white people should be allowed to say the n word without drawing a negative response because if we said it all the time then it wouldn't mean anything anymore.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
considering the fact that the band members probably use them all the time, I'd say it qualifies as funny and Ironic.
That's more or less what I was saying.

Yes they do. It doesn't make sense for you to just assume that another group of people wouldn't be offended by something when you're not standing in their place.
I meant that there isn't this huge butthurt uproar about it. I've never heard anyone get bitched out for the use of "rape" yet I hear it about "gay" all the damn time.

I'm willing to bet that If I made a thread about Whole Wheat Bread (http://www.myspace.com/wholewheatbread) and then went on to say that I didn't like the singer's voice because he sings like a nigger people would be pretty fucking pissed at me, and rightfully so. And I don't think that this is so different. Because Tom most likely isn't homosexual, but to say that he sounds like one implying a bad connotation is disrespectful to people who are gay.
I'm not gonna get into my opinion on the use of the n word because that is just far too controversial. And I think the use of the n word is still leagues different from the use of gay.

And It doesn't matter that fag used to mean bundle of sticks, or a cigarette in England because those things don't carry a negative effect. No one would be mad if I started calling all Mexicans chairs because it doesn't mean shit but I'd still be profiling them in my own fucked up way.
I'm looking at it from a strictly linguistic point of view. Saying God damn you used to be highly offensive but now it's part of our colloquial and nobody cares about it. Here's a little passage about this:

"Most often, swear words grow less vulgar with time. Back in Shakespeare's day, when one's lineage mattered a lot more, the word bastard was so offensive it was often written "b-d." Contemporary readers might not recognize the power of a line like this one, spoken by Capt. MacMorris in Act III of Henry V: "What about my nation? Is my nation a villain, and a bastard, and a knave, and a rascal?" Meanwhile, shit was once a standard Old English word for feces. Today, it remains one of the most versatile vulgarities in our language. These days, you can be "shit-scared" (so scared you shit yourself), live in a "shit hole," or have "shit for brains" (be dumb). And, of course, the shit can also hit the fan. President Bush used another version when he told British Prime Minister Tony Blair that the United Nations needed to "get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this shit."
Likewise for God damn and hell, which were considered so bad back in the 17th century that they were often spelled with dashes. Americans gradually softened their view on these words, but even in 1939, Gone With the Wind's Rhett Butler raised some eyebrows when he told Scarlett: "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." Expressions like "It sucks the big one" and "That bites," which were offensive as recent as the 1960s, have also since lost their force.
Some linguists have observed that nigger, in reflection of the political sensitivities of the United States, has become one of our most intolerable words. Consider the public outcry that would have resulted if the vice president had called a political opponent a "nigger" instead of merely employing the F-word. The word wasn't always so charged, though. Early last century, it was considered slang for African-Americans, and an insult if applied to non-African-Americans, according to the 1926 edition of H.W. Fowler's Modern English Usage."

Point being that words lose their offensiveness when we allow them to take their course. If we suppress them they become more offensive, such as the n word.

Your argument that we should allow gay to take on its new meaning is nonsensical because you're basically saying that it doesn't become harmful if everyone started using it. Maybe we should all incorporate the word cunt into our daily discourse because hey if everyone used it then it wouldn't be offensive anymore.
Actually this is all true. If we all said cunt normally, it wouldn't be offensive anymore after a while. Just like bastard, God damn, shit, etc.

Apathy
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think that we are understanding each other. Of course things become less offensive if everyone uses it. Of course language evolves over time.

That doesn't mean that people should go around promoting the use of words that are currently highly offensive.

Now that we've sufficiently derailed this thread:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/8/17/
http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com

randman21
09-30-2009, 05:03 PM
What I don't really get is why we're discussing the use of the word fag on this particular BBS. Surely, we've all seen this word posted around here before, yes? Yet, this is the first homophobe accusation I've seen since Noodles/ninthz four years ago. If RODNEYMULLEN had said this in person (or maybe even elsewhere on the netz), I'd be annoyed, but here...it's like whatevs.

Llamas
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't think that we are understanding each other. Of course things become less offensive if everyone uses it. Of course language evolves over time.
That doesn't mean that people should go around promoting the use of words that are currently highly offensive.
If we try to stop people from using it (in ways that are usually not said with ill intent), only people who are truly homophobic will use it, and that makes the word worse and worse. If everyone uses it freely and it's allowed to morph into its new meaning, that's the only way it'll stop being offensive at all. And quite frankly, the only times I've ever been offended by someone using "gay" to mean "stupid" was when the person was previously bashing gays and talking about hurting them or something.

[/quote]Now that we've sufficiently derailed this thread:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/8/17/
http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com[/QUOTE]
ahahahahhaa I love the one where the person is so upset about using God and Jesus and Lord in "offensive" ways... oh man.

What I don't really get is why we're discussing the use of the word fag on this particular BBS. Surely, we've all seen this word posted around here before, yes? Yet, this is the first homophobe accusation I've seen since Noodles/ninthz four years ago. If RODNEYMULLEN had said this in person (or maybe even elsewhere on the netz), I'd be annoyed, but here...it's like whatevs.
Seriously!! People say things are gay, call people fags... I've never once been offended. I've even seen the n word thrown around here...

IamSam
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Saying something is 'gay' is completely different than saying someone "sings like a fag" or whatever he said. Gay is a flippant term. Fag is not. It's like the cunt form of pussy.

Apathy
09-30-2009, 07:16 PM
ahahahahhaa I love the one where the person is so upset about using God and Jesus and Lord in "offensive" ways... oh man.

Did you click the first link? I only posted the second one so people who weren't sure what it was talking about could have background.

cool 2 hate 681
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
new blink song might premiere on kroq in the next 30 mins

http://kroq.radio.com/2010/06/18/exciting-news-from-blink-182/

EDIT looks like they are premiering a new bush song instead

Retard
06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
people who don't get offended by people using gay as a word for stupid, don't get offended because theyre not gay.....

cool 2 hate 681
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
bump

world premiere of the new blink 182 single up all night on kroq this friday at 7:30 am PST

http://twitter.com/travisbarker/status/90932488762966017

http://twitter.com/markhoppus/status/90931047159693312

randman21
07-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Not even gonna lie...I'm extremely excited about this! It's a huge deal for me, as Blink continues to be one of my favorite bands. I have a feeling they're going to disappoint me, though. And that would suck, seeing how much it took to get to this point.

jacknife737
07-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Not even gonna lie...I'm extremely excited about this! It's a huge deal for me, as Blink continues to be one of my favorite bands. I have a feeling they're going to disappoint me, though. And that would suck, seeing how much it took to get to this point.

I'm actually quite surprised at how interested I am at hearing this too. I don't think i'm going to like it, but curiosity (combined with a healthy dose of nostalgia) is just sort of overpowering any rational doubts i may have. I was pretty thoroughly underwhelmed by most of their post-Blink releases, save for one or two tracks from that +44 album.

One thing that sort of perplexes me is how many teenagers are so pumped for this release: i mean, the last Blink album came out what, 8 years ago?

yellow
07-13-2011, 07:36 AM
I love this band too! Offspring r my favorite !!

Llamas
07-13-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm actually quite surprised at how interested I am at hearing this too. I don't think i'm going to like it, but curiosity (combined with a healthy dose of nostalgia) is just sort of overpowering any rational doubts i may have. I was pretty thoroughly underwhelmed by most of their post-Blink releases, save for one or two tracks from that +44 album.

One thing that sort of perplexes me is how many teenagers are so pumped for this release: i mean, the last Blink album came out what, 8 years ago?

Blink had their hayday 10-12 years ago... the last album wasn't nearly as popular as the two previous albums, I don't think. I agree that it's weird for teenagers to be so stoked about it.

I'm also strangely interested in hearing the new stuff, but I also do expect disappointment. Band reunions are rarely very successful. I'm not exactly a fan of Blink, but I sometimes indulge in the guilty pleasure of their first few albums. I also enjoyed Enema of the State quite a bit. I'm not even sure why, ha. I did, however, quite enjoy +44, and I hope their new stuff is similar to that.

Omni
07-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Always loved their music, but Tom's voice got on my nerves big time. I didn't listen to all of +44's record, but I liked the lead single. I should get around to buying it. I didn't like any song I've ever heard of Angels & Airwaves.

I did like Box Car Racer quite a bit, though.

Llamas
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Always loved their music, but Tom's voice got on my nerves big time. I didn't listen to all of +44's record, but I liked the lead single. I should get around to buying it. I didn't like any song I've ever heard of Angels & Airwaves.

I did like Box Car Racer quite a bit, though.

Ha, I agree with this post almost 100%. Tom's voice is okay for a song here and there, but not all the time. It gets on my nerves a lot. I didn't like anything from Angels and Airwaves - I downloaded their first album and tried to listen to it a few times, but it was just boring. Boxcar Racer was good, though. I love the song Cat-Like Thief, with the singer from Rancid. Great track.

Omni
07-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I think with the excitement/drama of the little Blink-182/+44/Angels & Airwaves triangle, Box Car Racer is almost entirely overlooked. It was a solid album. I kind of wish there was a follow-up, but I also suspect they don't have another one that good in them.

Jakebert
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
The Boxcar Racer album is the only thing from any member of Blink 182 that I find even remotely tolerable. Lyrically it's dreadful, and DeLonge is just the worst vocalist ever. But the rhythm section is really good on most of it, and some of the songs are actually pretty well done as a whole. I do think it's kind of a fluke though and I doubt they could do it again if they wanted. But I do still listen to it from time to time if I'm in the right mood.

Blink 182 used to have some nostalgic appeal for me since I loved them from the ages of 10-14. But anymore I can't listen to them without being incredibly annoyed. The last Blink 182 album has some decent ideas, but as a whole just kind of seems like a Bad Astronaut rip off. The first few albums could potentially be cheesy fun 90s pop punk, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Angels and Airwaves are, for my money, one of the absolute worst bands to break into mainstream rock in the last 10 years. And I'm not using hyperbole. Everything about this band is terrible. The music is ripped off from a million different places, Tom's vocals are not only terrible but so processed that it becomes comical, and the lyrics and overall sentiment of the band is so misguidedly pretentious that it just seems like self-parody.

I've only listen to +44 like once or twice but I just found them incredibly boring.

I'm not hugely surprised, but then again, I remember when American Idiot came out and got tons upon tons of pre-release hype from audiences who shouldn't have even known who the fuck Green Day was. I think it's the same thing. Blink 182 were made for teenagers, and I think teenagers will always be interested in them to some extent.

Retard
07-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Can't fucking wait. Pretty excited about this.
I think the last blink album was pretty popular. one of my best friends who HATES everything else they put out, bought that album cuz he liked a couple songs.... he doesn't like it now, but he was more open about music back then.

Boxcar Racer was kinda a fluke. Tom supposedly listened to a lot of Fugazi while he wrote that album? I can kind of hear it, but at the same time, it's kinda like huh? i don't really hear it... It might happen now since tom and Travis are back together, but probably won't. I have the first AVA album because of nostalgia, sold the second album, still haven't heard the newest one even though i can legally download it for free. I don't give a fuck.

When You're Heart Stops Beating is a really chill record.

peinis0
07-13-2011, 11:11 PM
i love blink 182 especially when they are naked hehe.. just kidding. i havent seen them lately

Llamas
07-14-2011, 06:11 AM
The Boxcar Racer album is the only thing from any member of Blink 182 that I find even remotely tolerable. Lyrically it's dreadful, and DeLonge is just the worst vocalist ever. But the rhythm section is really good on most of it, and some of the songs are actually pretty well done as a whole. I do think it's kind of a fluke though and I doubt they could do it again if they wanted. But I do still listen to it from time to time if I'm in the right mood.
I'd say I agree with this 100%, but I'm a bit less cynical about these guys... I actually enjoy boxcar racer, blink and +44 are/were at least decent. AVA was the only group that was just unbearable for me.

Angels and Airwaves are, for my money, one of the absolute worst bands to break into mainstream rock in the last 10 years. And I'm not using hyperbole. Everything about this band is terrible. The music is ripped off from a million different places, Tom's vocals are not only terrible but so processed that it becomes comical, and the lyrics and overall sentiment of the band is so misguidedly pretentious that it just seems like self-parody.
More agree. This time I agree 100%. AVA was a disaster. I can't believe how cocky Tom was about that band... they were shit. I really tried to like them because Pete's a good drummer and the intros to a couple songs showed promise... but in the end, I couldn't even get through an album. That's rare for me.

I've only listen to +44 like once or twice but I just found them incredibly boring.
+44 was never anything special. There's not a single unique or original bone in their music. They were just a straightforward, decent pop-punk group. Mark's voice is quite generic, so that doesn't help. The thing I enjoyed about +44 was that they had no gimmicks; they were just who they were, and they wrote some very nice melodies that made you wanna move. Not the kind of band that I'd run out to see live or invest in, but for me, they were thoroughly enjoyable. I think I'd prefer to see +44 develop over a return to Blink 182. They had a similar style of music, but with better lyrics and just a more mature and enjoyable feel.

cool 2 hate 681
07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I think I'd prefer to see +44 develop over a return to Blink 182. They had a similar style of music, but with better lyrics and just a more mature and enjoyable feel.

i totally agree with you a new +44 album would be much more appealing to me then new blink 182

dff_punk
07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Listen to "Up All Night" here:

http://kroq.radio.com/2011/07/14/blink-182-world-premiere-first-new-track-in-almost-a-decade-up-all-night/2/

I have almost zero opinion on this song. Sounds like a mix of everything everyone in the band was involved with. Also it kind of lacks the catchiness which defined the band. But I don't mind it.

randman21
07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Fuckkkk. I'm not feelin' this.

I'll give everyone a chance to listen to it before I weigh in any more.

MAXTER
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Freakin' Awesome Song! Really!
Guys give us a mature song! A Mix of theirold sound + AVA sound + BCR sound + some brand new sound! Perfect!!!! Lyrics are really good! :)
I Love this song!!! :)

LYRICS:
Everyone Wants to call it, all around our life with a better name,

Everyone falls and spins and it's up again with a friend who does the same,

Everyone lies and cheats their wants and needs, and still believes their heart,

Everyone gets the chills, the kind that kills, when the pain begins to start..

Forget this dream, do you want me here?

As I struggle through, each and every year,

And all these demons, they keep me up all night!

Everyone's cross to bear the crown, we wear on endless holiday,

Everyone raises kids in a world that changes life to a bitter game,

Everyone works and fights, stays up all night to celebrate the day,

And everyone lives to tell the tale, of how we die alone some day...

Forget this dream, do you want me here?

As I struggle through, each and every year,

And all these demons, they keep me up all night!

They keep me up all night!

Jakebert
07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I know that my opinion won't be a surprise, but I was curious and listened to it. And wow. It's awful and I'm not hearing a difference between this and Angels and Airwaves at all, right down to Delonge's terrible, terrible attempt at profound/deep lyrics.

cool 2 hate 681
07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
really awful song sounds like angels and airwaves

Retard
07-15-2011, 01:26 AM
I liked it. A little disapointed that there's the AVA sound in it.... but i honestly expected it, and luckily it's not THAT much. I wasn't expecting that riff though, liked that a lot.

jacknife737
07-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Reminds me a lot of their Self Titled stuff. My initial reaction was "this is pretty mediocre": i hate the intro, don't mind the vocals, and am indifferent towards the lyrics. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

Regarding the Blink-related side projects: now that Retard mentions it, i do sort of see the Fugazi influence on Boxcar Racer: and i do think they're probably the best of the side-projects, Tom managed to successfully play it straight/non-goofy without engaging in utter pretentious and trite lyrics like he did with AVA.

I think if +44 had kept their original line up, the one with that women*** on guitars/vocals it would have been a lot more interesting with female vocals contrasting Marks: it's not surprising to me, that my favorite track on the album "No, It Isn't" happens to have this contrast.

Rooster
07-15-2011, 05:02 AM
I'll pass this one. Blink were only interesting when they were still making those goofy, immature songs full of toilet humor and sexual jokes. I did like their s/t too, but not as much as their earlier material. Taking immaturity out of Blink is basically taking out the thing that made them who they were in the first place. I agree that they're now too old to be still singing about hating school and all, but there are other things to joke about. Their s/t still worked because although it was a "serious" record it still somehow sounded like them (by that i mean the overall sound, minus goofing around). But if this new song is any indicator, they've completely abandoned that. To me, it doesn't sound like Blink at all.

Oh well, i've grown out of them anyway, so this isn't that much of a blow for me. I might still check this just out of curiosity, but i doubt i'll like the album.

dff_punk
07-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Side note: The autotuned voice of Tom should have been less obvious. But maybe they wanted it to sound it that way, whatever.

Llamas
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow. This sounds like a cross between AVA and the last Blink album, basically the two *worst* parts of these guys. Tom sounds just as wannabe-pretentious as he did with AVA, and the small bit of Mark's vocals isn't enough to counter it. The guitar riff almost makes it sound like Blink, but in the end it sounds more like their last album. Really, these guys should stick to pop-punk, even if they don't keep the stupid lyrics. I can accept and deal with the fact that these guys are incapable of writing good lyrics; Tom should also accept it. Dumb/immature lyrics are much more tolerable than horrible attempts at pretentious/deep lyrics.

I honestly was expecting more pop-punk from this... but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I don't know what Mark and Travis are thinking, reuniting with Tom and basically letting him release AVA songs under the Blink name...

edit: I especially hate the way Tom ends each line in the song with this breathy weird bit of pretension. It's so intentional, and annoying.

I also just really read the lyrics. This song is about nothing. He's trying sooooo hard... and saying squat.

Retard
07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Anyone who didn't think that there was going to be a slight AVA influence is just fucking naive, the AVA sound was a continuation of the untitled albums sound anyway. It's not my favorite album by them but the untitled was by far their best album they wrote, honestly i've heard a shit load of music claiming to be influenced by blink and their sound for so long and it's never come close to the sound of that album, it's a unique sound. Yea tom's voice is weird, but most rock bands have shitty voices, look at robert plant, he's gotten rich off sounding like a cat getting its balls stuck in a vice while yoko ono is using its claws to scrape a chalkboard and everyone still loves him for some reason. No it's not an amazing song by any stretch, but i'm gonna have hope that the rest is better, first singles are usually one of the lesser songs anyway.

randman21
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Taking immaturity out of Blink is basically taking out the thing that made them who they were in the first place. I agree that they're now too old to be still singing about hating school and all, but there are other things to joke about.
I'm kind of stuck on that dichotomy, too. On one hand, they're not world-class musicians/songwriters so when they attempt to be, it falls way flat for me every time. On the other hand...they're closing in on 40 so who am I to demand that they still sing about fucking dogs in 2011?

Side note: The autotuned voice of Tom should have been less obvious. But maybe they wanted it to sound it that way, whatever.
This immediately took me out of the song. I have no problem with pitch correction whatsoever, when it's used the way it was invented. But that particular gimmick is a major dealbreaker with me. Still, I would have overlooked it if I liked the song.

This song is about nothing. He's trying sooooo hard... and saying squat.
This. Lyrically, musically, everything...nothing. I've been trying to describe how I feel about this song since I heard it, but I can't because I'm realizing that I feel nothing when I listen to it.

Aside from being a very poor choice for a lead single, I just didn't get any sense of energy or emotion from them (the band). I thought the riff was awesome, but the song felt like it was building for three minutes and just never went anywhere. A single like "Action" would have been great here, a whiff of old, mixed with a lot of new. A bridge between eras, sort of. I guess I'll still buy the album and see them in concert if they come anywhere close. I'm expecting a better effort from the rest of the album, though.

bighead384
07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think it's a decent song. It's catchy, and pretty diverse sounding. I just can't stand how Tom Delonge sings in that one part. Like, what is he thinking?

Retard
07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't hear any autotune in this at all, where the fuck is the autotune?

Supposedly this is the first song they wrote together once the reunited..... so who knows what the rest will sound like.

dff_punk
07-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Maybe it's just Tom's voice sounding really weird at some point.

cool 2 hate 681
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
i think i prefer tom singing this version of up all night:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQKB1k7tnE

randman21
07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't hear any autotune in this at all, where the fuck is the autotune?
I'm not listening to it right now, but I think it's throughout the whole song. For sure on Tom's voice in at least the first verse, and all the choruses. I can't remember if they used it with Mark. Anyway, it's very clear to me. I heard it as soon as Tom sang the first word.

dff_punk
07-15-2011, 04:37 PM
i think i prefer tom singing this version of up all night:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQKB1k7tnE

Hell yeah, I was humming that song ever since the first time I heard the newest one from Blink was gonna be also called "Up All Night" :)

Retard
07-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Ok there's a difference between autotune and a weird vocal effect on someone's voice... There's no effects on tom's voice in the verses at all. And the chorus has some weird echoey effect to make him sound like he's far away, he's used that loads of times. Kinda like when Peter Frampton uses that thing to make his guitar sounds like its talking, or all the distortion on the beastie boys voices throughout their career.

Rooster
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Ok there's a difference between autotune and a weird vocal effect on someone's voice... There's no effects on tom's voice in the verses at all. And the chorus has some weird echoey effect to make him sound like he's far away, he's used that loads of times. Kinda like when Peter Frampton uses that thing to make his guitar sounds like its talking, or all the distortion on the beastie boys voices throughout their career.

I thought there was some autotune. Just listen to the part right when he starts singing "Everyone wants to call it,...". It's pretty obvious, especially during the "call it" part. Or maybe his voice just sound really really reaaaaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy weird.

And i agree with Llamas, Tom needs to stop breathing out like that. It doesn't make him sound any deeper, just douchier. He sings like that ever since their reunion, and never fails to make me cringe. It. Just. Sounds. Terrible.

Retard
07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Yea right at the beginning of the verse thats just toms voice sounding weird, That doesn't sound like autotune to me. The "Auto-tune" on the song is toms chorus, but again that's not really "auto-tune" cuz he still sounds completely out of tune, that's just echoey effects.

Jakebert
07-17-2011, 09:42 PM
You can get those echo-y effects from autotune pretty easily. I definitely heard a shit ton of autotune in his vocals when i listened to it. You could hear his voice warping in and out of tune constantly throughout the song, sometimes in the middle of a word. That's one of the key signs of someone using autotune.

The thing about autotune is that is doesn't cure someone who can't carry a tune, which Tom can't do without studio trickery (see Blink's live album for examples). All it does is mask it or makes it stick out like an even larger sore thumb. That's why the autotune sticks out because you can hear it reaching to correct his voice but it doesn't work. This is what usually accounts for the robotic-type sound you get in a lot of rapper's voices. If you have someone that can hit the note without autotune, you don't notice it in the song.

I can't speak for anyone here, but it's not that I hate vocal effects by themselves. Lots of songs use modified vocals to create a cool sound that fits the atmosphere that the song is trying to create. The newest Sufjan Stevens album has a few really good examples of this. But Tom, as seen with AVA, uses autotune and other studio effects in the context of otherwise generic modern day emo music in attempt to make it sound more atmospheric than it really is. If you take this song without all of the studio effects it's incredibly bland.

As far as the maturity thing...it's not that anyone expects 40 year olds to be singing about what it's like to be stood up for prom, or fucking a dog in the ass. But at the same time Tom's obsession with making "PROFOUND STATEMENTS" that are essentially just really shitty meaningless phrases is what kills it. There's ways to make mature music without saying things that are that stupid. There's also ways to make immature music without sounding like children. The band has plenty of options that could be better than the route that they're going in. The big issue seems to be that the band, like a lot of mainstream rock bands these days, thinks that maturity has to be tied to BIG PROFOUND STATEMENTS and epic sounding music when it doesn't need to be. Lots of pretty simple punk bands (The Thermals, Ted Leo, etc) have done an excellent job at transitioning from bratty pop-punk to more mature music without ripping off U2 or Bad Astronaut or constantly making asses out of themselves like Blink does.

And I want to say real quickly that I do think these dudes have it in them to make a good album. A few songs on the self-titled album have some good ideas under the overproduction, and they've proven that they can write catchy music when they want to.

jacknife737
07-18-2011, 05:42 AM
The autotune thing doesn't bother me personally: the freaking Lawrence Arms used it when recording Apathy and Exhaustion.

Even though i wasn't exactly thrilled with the single, i'm still planning on checking out the rest of the album: i actually like their Self-Titled record: on the rare occasions that i'll listen to Blink these days, it'll be that album.

Omni
07-19-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm listening to the song for the first time right now. To my surprise, I very much like it.

Krojd
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Up All Night sounds like Angels & Airwaves 2, big step back after eponymous in my opinion.

Llamas
07-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Yea right at the beginning of the verse thats just toms voice sounding weird, That doesn't sound like autotune to me. The "Auto-tune" on the song is toms chorus, but again that's not really "auto-tune" cuz he still sounds completely out of tune, that's just echoey effects.

Retard, it's one thing to like the song and to even enjoy the autotune. It's fine to have a different taste and opinion. But you're talking here to people who've recorded music and know exactly how autotune sounds (namely, randman, raptor, and I... I dunno if anyone else here has done so). Tom's voice (not sure about Mark's... I don't think his is) is definitely autotuned in many parts of the song.

And i agree with Llamas, Tom needs to stop breathing out like that. It doesn't make him sound any deeper, just douchier. He sings like that ever since their reunion, and never fails to make me cringe. It. Just. Sounds. Terrible.

Yep. With Blink, Tom's voice has always been the unique one, Mark's is pretty generic and bland - but they worked well together. Now Tom's voice is just annoying, and it doesn't sound good against Mark's at all. It's amazing how much his voice changed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxsyOqpE4KU

The autotune thing doesn't bother me personally: the freaking Lawrence Arms used it when recording Apathy and Exhaustion.
Autotune can be applied in good ways in order to achieve a certain effect; here I think it was just used because Tom can't sing in tune.

Even though i wasn't exactly thrilled with the single, i'm still planning on checking out the rest of the album
Same.

Rooster
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxsyOqpE4KU

I think something like

"HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY BEJESUS ON A BEAR GRYLLS'S MACGYVER-STYLE IMPROVISED PAPERCLIP AND WOODEN RAFT FLOATING INTO A VOLCANO"

or

"KILL IT! KILL IT WIHT FIRE!!!!!"

would be appropriate to say here. Or another thing that comes to mind:

"IT'S A TRAP!"

Retard
07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
It doesn't sound like auto-tune to me again besides the chorus, it just sounds like his shitty ass singing.

Lupin
07-20-2011, 04:45 AM
I dont know what i expected this song too be, much like the RHCP song it reminds me of a b-side from several albums back. Mind you i'm not that into Blink anymore, so im curious as to why i'm even posting on here.

Omni
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Retard, it's one thing to like the song and to even enjoy the autotune. It's fine to have a different taste and opinion. But you're talking here to people who've recorded music and know exactly how autotune sounds (namely, randman, raptor, and I... I dunno if anyone else here has done so). Tom's voice (not sure about Mark's... I don't think his is) is definitely autotuned in many parts of the song.

I'd say pretty much anyone who frequents the Your Band forums are familiar with the effect.

nieh
07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I never realized it until I spun the album for the first time in ages today, but Adam's Song sounds quite Fugazi-ish.

mrconeman
07-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Yep. With Blink, Tom's voice has always been the unique one, Mark's is pretty generic and bland - but they worked well together. Now Tom's voice is just annoying, and it doesn't sound good against Mark's at all. It's amazing how much his voice changed... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxsyOqpE4KU

This is absolutely amazing. Like hilariously amazing. In the old performance he just sounds like your average terrible singer in a pop-punk band, but in that second performance he sounds like he has a degenerative brain damage problem. I'm not saying "retard" in that way that you make fun of someone, he literally sounds retarded, or like he has been abusing hardcore narcotics for decades, or suffered a stroke.

Also - Anyone that doesn't think that his voice in that previous link isn't abundantly awash with Auto-Tune is completely deaf. And I can't remember who it was, but never ever compare Peter Frampton to Tom Delonge.

IamSam
07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm interested to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. This was the first song they wrote when they got back together, mainly Tom, so it has a lot of his influence in it. On top of it, I tend to think it has a little more Box Car Racer in it than Angels and Airwaves, but that's just me.

PS: People were talking about not listening too them because their music is beneath their age levels or some crap. I still listen for nostalgia's sake. Plus, when I want to forget about everything troubling me nothing helps me more than some easy, crappy, blink-182 music. Don't know why.

Retard
07-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Because it's fun music, and it's there to make you feel happy, they might be older, but so are you. Live they're still their stupid selves but on record they're a little more serious, and also now a little nostalgic for their younger selves.

Llamas
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Heh, as much as this band bugs me, and as much as I don't care for this new single, this is pretty awesome. (http://thedailywh.at/2011/08/04/music-video-of-the-day-30/)

cool 2 hate 681
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Heh, as much as this band bugs me, and as much as I don't care for this new single, this is pretty awesome. (http://thedailywh.at/2011/08/04/music-video-of-the-day-30/)

is that the official music video for the single?

jacknife737
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Nah, i'm pretty sure it's just a compilation of several "fan made" videos.

Llamas
08-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Jackknife, did you read the description? It's the official video for the song; the band searched through youtube for videos that used their songs without permission, and they used bits of those videos to put together their video for Up All Night.

randman21
08-04-2011, 04:23 PM
FUCK YEAH! Another new Blink song, and I like this one soooo much better. :)

http://heartsallgone.com/

"select all" (ctrl + A) when you go to the page.

cool 2 hate 681
08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
wow that song is really good goes to show that mark hoppus is a much much better singer than tom

randman21
08-04-2011, 04:42 PM
wow that song is really good goes to show that mark hoppus is a much much better singer than tom
Haha. I guess that is the only logical conclusion, huh? I've always really struggled between which one I liked more, leaning toward Tom...but it seems that Mark wrote this one, and Tom "Up All Night," so if these two songs are any indication of how the album will go, there will be no more competition imo.

Retard
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
OK that song is fucking good.

IamSam
08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Well paint me purple and call me Nancy, now THIS is a song.

Rooster
08-06-2011, 01:57 AM
FUCK YEAH! Another new Blink song, and I like this one soooo much better. :)

http://heartsallgone.com/

"select all" (ctrl + A) when you go to the page.

Christ, this is good. Please, let the album be more like this, and i'll tolerate Up All Night. This is what i had in mind when i said they could still sound like themselves while being serious at the same time. Only this sounds heavier than your usual Blink 182... Which is even better :)

I won't get my hopes too high though.

SåS
08-06-2011, 04:48 AM
This has made me THAT much more stoked for the album.

Has anybody been reading the youtube comments of this song?
People are saying it sounds like +44, thoughts?

Personally, I think no. Mark has just extended his range (which started around the 44+ days), and he's doing the same for Blink, instead of signing monotonal like in previous albums.

I'm keen for some more of this.

Llamas
08-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Well I think this new song sounds more like +44 than anything, which is a great thing in my mind. I think it's even above average compared to +44. Mark's voice sounds good, and the song is really catchy. Much, much better than Up All Night.

Alison
08-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Heart's All Gone is a lot better than Up All Night.

Hopefully the rest of the album will follow that kinda style. I've never actually listened to +44.

Scythe Death
08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
It's not nearly as good as anything from Dude Ranch.

Retard
08-06-2011, 11:26 AM
+44 was like a less experimental version of the last blink album, with two guitarists and occasional keyboards, really good album, haven't listened to it in a while.

Llamas
08-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Heart's All Gone is a lot better than Up All Night.

Hopefully the rest of the album will follow that kinda style. I've never actually listened to +44.

If you like Heart's All Gone, I definitely recommend checking out the +44 album. It's very similar. Mark really honed his song-writing talents with that album.

It's not nearly as good as anything from Dude Ranch.
Depends on what you're looking for; Mark's a muuuuch better singer now than he was then. I really enjoy this song.

dexterone
08-06-2011, 12:06 PM
''Heart's all gone'' is a great song...I don't really like ''Up all night''...it's kinda boring...
and I also think,that Mark is a way better singer than Tom,Tom's got a special kind of voice,which is rather remarkable...but all my favorites songs,such as ''Dammit'', ''What's my age again?'' or ''Adam' song'' etc. are sung by Mark...and Tom's voice is pretty much annoying in some songs,at least for me....maybe that's the reason,why I rather like Mark's songs....

cool 2 hate 681
08-06-2011, 01:02 PM
they played two new songs live yesterday called ghost on the dancefloor and after midnight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WR51VhNGM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjxv4ZulBHc

jacknife737
08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I really, really dig Hearts All Gone: sort of a mix between +44 and Dude Ranch: granted i'm not a huge fan of the lyrics, but then again, that was never really Blink's strong point.

I also, like those other two new songs ^^, though i'm going to have to wait until i hear a studio version before i can say for sure.

Retard
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Seein them on Tuesday, cannot wait.

jacknife737
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpYhGdrknlA

Official video for "Up All Night": this isn't the comp of all the fan-made videos that was released earlier.

Although i'm not a huge fan of the song, the video is pretty enjoyable. Blink usually make fairly entertaining ones.

Rooster
08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
The video is ok i guess. Still not a big fan of the song though.

On a side note, they've announced the track list for the album, and Heart's All Gone seems to be only a bonus song. If that track list is legit, of course.

dff_punk
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Tom just needs to get his guitar lower.

IamSam
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
On a side note, they've announced the track list for the album, and Heart's All Gone seems to be only a bonus song. If that track list is legit, of course.

I know the list you were talking about and it's a fake, per Mark.

Tom just needs to get his guitar lower.

Bad back bro...remember? He has fused vertebrae or some crap like that.

Retard
08-26-2011, 10:20 PM
I had forgotten that I didn't right in here after the show. They were honestly better this year than both shows in 2009. Tom rarely did the "Tom" voice, they were really tight, and they seemed to have actual chemistry on the stage this time.

The Video was pretty good, still like the song.

cool 2 hate 681
08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
i still have never seen blink 182 live i definitely would have went if rancid and against me were on my date

Retard
08-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Saw Manchester Orchestra on mine, they were pretty good as well. I left after a couple MCR songs, mostly just to check out merch. Got a really sick blink hoodie.

Rooster
08-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I know the list you were talking about and it's a fake, per Mark.

Ah yes, that seems more like it. I found the track listing (that i was talking about) on wikipedia, which seemed fishy enough, so i went to check the source cited on wikipedia. Then i googled it and basically every site had that same list, but none of them were what i'd call really reliable.

I think this record might surprise me. I just hope it'll be a nice surprise.

dff_punk
08-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Bad back bro...remember? He has fused vertebrae or some crap like that.

Actually I never knew... googled some stuff about it, interesting read.

dff_punk
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Double post, but apparently this is the tracklist of the deluxe version:

1. Ghost on The Dance Floor
2. Natives
3. Up All Night
4. After Midnight
5. Snake Charmer
6. Hearts All Gone (Interlude)
7. Hearts All Gone
8. Wishing Well
9. Kaleidoscope
10. This is Home
11. MH 8-1.22.2011
12. Love is Dangerous
13. Fighting the Gravity
14. Even if She Falls

yellow
08-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I love Blink 182. Tom and Mark are both great singers. My favorite song is, stay together for the kids, which they both sing in the song. But props are needed to them, Tom nailed first date: and Mark rocked fell in love with the girl at the rock show!
And for their new song, no tricks were used,.like the Beastie Boys do in sure shot.
Simply both Mark and Tom are singing together, and alternating whos voice leads. For example when Torm sings there is heavy guitar and when Matk sings there is a heavy bass.
The best ever pull off everyome singing the same lyrics at different times is Bach's contada #80, choral fugue

cool 2 hate 681
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
has anyone seen this? it's up all night from 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhnURYCNHs

Retard
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
SO there's a cover story on Blink in the new AP and they had a little song synopsis of a few of the new songs. At least two references to the Descendents and All, neither were for Hearts All Gone, and one saying something about 1993.... I think we're in for a winner.

jacknife737
09-01-2011, 08:01 PM
SO there's a cover story on Blink in the new AP and they had a little song synopsis of a few of the new songs. At least two references to the Descendents and All, neither were for Hearts All Gone, and one saying something about 1993.... I think we're in for a winner.

Nice.

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed the sound from their Self Titled album, but i'd love to get to hear a couple more traditional sounding pop-punk stuff.

cool 2 hate 681
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
after midnight studio version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYu02_KMp4

Llamas
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Songs we've heard so far:

After Midnight - Pretty okay. Nothing special, but I don't hate it.

Up All Night - Borderline awful. I really kinda hate this one in almost every way.

Hearts All Gone - Fucking awesome. I love this song. Hope this song is not a rarity on this album.

Retard
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Took me like 40 tries to get 182 on that damn sign. So far I'm liking After Midnight, little bit more than Up All Night. Still like that song though.

IamSam
09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Took me like 40 tries to get 182 on that damn sign. So far I'm liking After Midnight, little bit more than Up All Night. Still like that song though.

I didn't try once....I just went straight to a forum I lurk at and snagged it from a link haha.

I like it...it's one of those just chill blink songs (like from the second half of Take Off Your Pants and Jacket) that you can just listen to and not really worry about.

I really like the chorus. Catchy.

cool 2 hate 681
09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
the album has leaked

Retard
09-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I never have given a shit about leaks.... wait a fucking couple months and just buy the thing you fucking cheap bastards. I'm broke as fuck being unemployed and all. I saved my twenty bucks that I'll need for the album.

randman21
09-15-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't see the correlation there. People don't listen/download leaks to not buy the album. Those who do, will do it when the album comes out anyway. I imagine a lot of people listen because it's there, and they're really curious. For me, personally, I'm listening to see if it's worth buying. I don't care enough about many bands to listen to their leaks, but for on-the-fence bands like Blink 182 and Green Day, it really helps to get a sense of the album before it comes out. The last one I listened to was "21st Century Breakdown". Dodged a bullet there.

holland25
09-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Hearts All Gone - Fucking awesome. I love this song. Hope this song is not a rarity on this album.

Unfortunately it is. The rest of the album sounds pretty much like AVA. Son, I'm dissapoint.

randman21
09-15-2011, 01:33 AM
I can't believe that just happened...I wrote a long review, and the BBS gave me the "message too short" error, and made it disappear. Now it's gone forevuhhh.

Fuck it now...I kinda liked the album and will probably buy it.

Unfortunately it is. The rest of the album sounds pretty much like AVA. Son, I'm dissapoint.
Are you sure, man? I see it listed in the tracklist, but in all of the Neighborhoods playlists I found on YouTube, I didn't see it in with the rest of the album. So you may be right. But it would be weird if they have "Hearts All Gone (Interlude)" with no "Hearts All Gone". And if that's the case, I won't be buying it.

Krojd
09-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Tracklist:

01. Ghost On The Dancefloor 4:18
02. Natives 3:55
03. Up All Night 3:20
04. After Midnight 3:27
05. Snake Charmer 4:27
06. Heart's All Gone Interlude 2:02
07. Heart's All Gone 3:15
08. Wishing Well 3:21
09. Kaleidoscope 3:53
10. This Is Home 2:47
11. MH 4.18.2011 3:27
12. Love Is Dangerous 4:26
13. Fighting The Gravity 3:42
14. Even If She Falls 3:00

holland25
09-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Are you sure, man? I see it listed in the tracklist, but in all of the Neighborhoods playlists I found on YouTube, I didn't see it in with the rest of the album. So you may be right. But it would be weird if they have "Hearts All Gone (Interlude)" with no "Hearts All Gone". And if that's the case, I won't be buying it.

It is there, together with the Interlude. But it's a rarity by the means of no other song sounding like Heart's All Gone.

randman21
09-15-2011, 03:05 AM
My mistake! My brain read "bonus track/b-side" for some reason. You're right, Heart's All Gone is a major stand out (one of my all-time favorite Blink songs), although I did like a few of the other songs.

Omni
09-15-2011, 03:08 AM
So what's the verdict on this one?

Rooster
09-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I can't get into it. It could be worse I guess, I kind of like the album, but it's nothing that would strike me as particulary awesome. I can't even say it's because I've grown out of their style, because this isn't their old style, not really. It's different. Not neccessarily bad, just different.

I'm sure it'll get tons of praise from their most devoted fans. You know, it being a "new Blink-182 album, z0mG and stuff". But it's just not as fun to listen to as some of their old albums. They lost their whole identity by leaving the fun out of it. Heart's All Gone can't save the album, as it's a "rarity" (energy-wise). Neither can other songs that I like from it. So it's not bad, but not great either.

edit: Actually it all works a bit better if you don't think of it as of a Blink-182 album.
edit2: Travis steals the album. Which is a good thing.

Llamas
09-15-2011, 08:19 AM
So all the reactions to the album didn't make me particularly excited for this... and yeah, it's pretty bad. It simply doesn't sound like Blink 182. I don't think it sounds TOO much like AVA, but it reminds me a lot of the self-titled album. I guess Take Off Your Pants will remain the last good thing Blink released together.

Edit: so far, I kinda like Snake Charmer... and the Heart's All Gone interlude is really nice. And of course, I like Heart's All Gone. The first four songs of the album are crap, though.

IamSam
09-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I honestly don't understand why people were expecting it to sound like something from 1999. AVA, +44, BCR, etc. were all in that mix as well as the Untitled album. It's called progression. I remember quite a few people getting pissy on here at people getting angry at Offspring fans over 'wanting another ignition.'

Honestly, I don't hear a lot of AVA. I hear more BCR as a Tom influence. Yes, Tom's lyrics suck and his vowels are annoying, that's a given. To me the album is more if you squashed +44, BCR, and sprinkled some AVA on it. Don't forget that there were synths on +44's album as well.

Some of the songs are drags, and that's a given on any album. (I've only come across maybe 2 complete albums in my library that I can listen to every single song.)

I just think people had weird fucking expectations from 3 guys who haven't put a record out in years while growing more into different styles and maturing in their own ways.

I like it, and it appears on this board I'm the minority.

Winners:
Hearts All Gone
Natives
Fighting the Gravity
MH 4.18.2011
Snake Charmer

Losers:
This is Home
Wishing Well
Even if She Falls

Honorable mention:
Kaleidoscope

Rooster
09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
If this is the direction they want to take, it's fine by me. They can do whatever they want, it's their choice.

I don't hate the album, in fact I'm starting to enjoy some of the songs. But as a Blink album... Well, it's just not as fun anymore. I'm not saying they should just keep releasing Dude Ranch or Enema clones. But some fun could be retained in other ways, there are other things to joke about, not just angsty teenage humour. I don't know. Being fun is what worked for them the most, taking that away is like giving them a whole new identity, not just simply progressing, in my opinion. The Offspring have progressed yes, but doing so they have always kept their own style. As for Blink-182? Not so much. Though the change didn't surprise me, not in the slightest (not after the direction of their self-titled). I'm just giving my own opinion about it ;)

As I said, this album works better if one disregards the fact that it's a Blink-182 album. Though some of their old sound can still be heard. Faintly.

Edit: I'm saying this as a casual fan. I've grown out of their style a long time ago. I do occasionally still listen to some of their old songs, but not nearly as much as I used to. So whatever this album sounds like, it makes pretty much no difference to me.

Llamas
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I honestly don't understand why people were expecting it to sound like something from 1999. AVA, +44, BCR, etc. were all in that mix as well as the Untitled album. It's called progression. I remember quite a few people getting pissy on here at people getting angry at Offspring fans over 'wanting another ignition.'

Honestly, I don't hear a lot of AVA. I hear more BCR as a Tom influence. Yes, Tom's lyrics suck and his vowels are annoying, that's a given. To me the album is more if you squashed +44, BCR, and sprinkled some AVA on it. Don't forget that there were synths on +44's album as well.

Some of the songs are drags, and that's a given on any album. (I've only come across maybe 2 complete albums in my library that I can listen to every single song.)

I agree with you that there's a lot less AVA here than people are claiming. I personally think it sounds a lot like the last Blink album, which I wasn't a fan of. I was honestly surprised by the number of people here who hate this album but also (I recall) are fans of the S/T album.

Sure, there were synths in +44, but they were used in a different way. This album really doesn't remind me much at all of them. I'm giving it another listen right now, though, and I'm gonna pay more attention to Mark.

I just think people had weird fucking expectations from 3 guys who haven't put a record out in years while growing more into different styles and maturing in their own ways.

This is by far your best point. Kinda why reunions are rarely much of a success.

Maybe my bias against Tom and mostly how he's "matured" is what's causing my dislike. Maybe if I listen with that bias dialed down a bit, I'd like it more. I wasn't looking for another Enema or Cheshire Cat... I guess I was hoping for something MORE like +44.

As I said, this album works better if one disregards the fact that it's a Blink-182 album. Though some of their old sound can still be heard. Faintly.

Another very good point. It really doesn't sound like the same band from even 10 years ago. Listened to without expectations of Blink 182, maybe it's better.

Edit: I'm saying this as a casual fan. I've grown out of their style a long time ago. I do occasionally still listen to some of their old songs, but not nearly as much as I used to. So whatever this album sounds like, it makes pretty much no difference to me.

I should add that it's the same for me. I listened the hell out of Enema and TOYPAJ 10 years ago... mostly outgrown them, but I listen to them now and then for fun. But I really, really enjoyed +44.

0r4ng3
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I've given it a couple of listens. It's pretty solid. I expected it to be a bit worse. At first I felt that it was a little bit inconsistent style-wise, but then I realized that's the kind of thing to expect from a band that went on hiatus to work on different stuff for 8 years. Besides, it's no less coherent than the self-titled.

Current favorites are Natives, Heart's All Gone, Wishing Well, and Kaleidoscope. But that's sure to change when I listen to it more.

IamSam
09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
I agree with you that there's a lot less AVA here than people are claiming. I personally think it sounds a lot like the last Blink album, which I wasn't a fan of. I was honestly surprised by the number of people here who hate this album but also (I recall) are fans of the S/T album.

Sure, there were synths in +44, but they were used in a different way. This album really doesn't remind me much at all of them. I'm giving it another listen right now, though, and I'm gonna pay more attention to Mark.

This is by far your best point. Kinda why reunions are rarely much of a success.

Maybe my bias against Tom and mostly how he's "matured" is what's causing my dislike. Maybe if I listen with that bias dialed down a bit, I'd like it more. I wasn't looking for another Enema or Cheshire Cat... I guess I was hoping for something MORE like +44.

I see a lot of anti-Tom bias happening with this album and wishing for more Mark. Mark is on a good portion of the album (has his own tracks) and has some pretty sweet harmonies in others. I have to say that what I'm a little surprised at is his bass work even compared to +44...the man plays some different things than he did even back then.

I think the hate on it from the S/T album lovers is that it's a different 'type' of dark. This seems to be more emotional and somber and not as angst ridden, if that makes sense.

I've given it a couple of listens. It's pretty solid. I expected it to be a bit worse. At first I felt that it was a little bit inconsistent style-wise, but then I realized that's the kind of thing to expect from a band that went on hiatus to work on different stuff for 8 years. Besides, it's no less coherent than the self-titled.

Current favorites are Natives, Heart's All Gone, Wishing Well, and Kaleidoscope. But that's sure to change when I listen to it more.

My initial thoughts were that of horror when they let out Up All Night and After Midnight...I thought they lost it. But I'm pretty content that they have a good mix of what makes them them in the entire album.

Retard
09-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Heard the first half or so at my friends house the other night... I liked what I heard a lot. Still waiting for Next week to hear the whole thing.

Llamas
09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I have to admit, I gave the album a few more listens and I just don't like it. I'm not interested in bashing it or anything - it's not like it's an awful album. I actually am not able to pinpoint what it is I don't like about it... I just don't. I really don't know what my expectations were or how it fails to meet them. I guess that happens sometimes, though. I hate it when I can't explain why I dislike an album/band. Bah.

But I do love Heart's All Gone and a couple others. There is definitely potential for a future album to be a success for me.

jacknife737
09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Finally bought the "extended version" off itunes today: first impressions...

At this point i'm hesitant to call it a "good" album, but it's not a terrible one either, by any stretch. It's got a fair group of pretty solid tracks (especially Hearts All Gone, Natives) and then it's got some not so nice ones.

I got a sort of Bloc Party-esq/"dance punk" vibe from a bunch of the tracks too: some worked, some didn't.

Llamas
10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
This album is growing on me. I've been finding myself with a select few of the songs running through my head, and wanting to pop on the album. There are some pretty lame songs, too... but the first half of the album has shaped up to be pretty good. Still not huge on Up All Night, but it's really not that bad. After Heart's All Gone, which is the best song, the album kinda drops off, though. The best song in the latter half is Love is Dangerous - that one pops into my head now and then.

This is Home, Even if She Falls, MH 4.18.2011 - the worst songs. Not a fan.

cool 2 hate 681
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
I read they are putting out a new EP for Christmas :)

randman21
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
It's funny. I was just watching their set at Almost Acoustic Christmas for the first time a few minutes ago. But yeah, that's cool. I'm looking forward to it. I remember hating Neighborhoods, but apparently looking at my posts from last year, I thought it was alright. I need to go ahead and get it.

cool 2 hate 681
11-08-2012, 03:08 PM
It's funny. I was just watching their set at Almost Acoustic Christmas for the first time a few minutes ago. But yeah, that's cool. I'm looking forward to it. I remember hating Neighborhoods, but apparently looking at my posts from last year, I thought it was alright. I need to go ahead and get it.

I saw them the day after that show in San Diego and they were really good much better then I expected

also I don't know why Neighborhoods gets so much hate it wasn't that bad it has some awful songs on it but I thought it was a decent album

Tiny Vessels
11-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I been on a Blink 182 kick lately. But it's mostly their older stuff. I have always liked Blink and I did like neighborhoods and I didn't understand all the hate it was getting either. I would love if they did a Christmas ep too.

Tiny Vessels
11-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Blink 182 is releasing an ep before Christmas. I'm so happy.

jacknife737
11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I sort of enjoyed Neighborhoods: it had some great songs on there - i'll probably through it on my ipod due to this thread and give it another listen since its been quite a while.

Exicted to hear the EP.

cool 2 hate 681
12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
kroq is going to world premier a new blink 182 song in 30 minutes :)

Dulce
12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Blink+182+My+Chemical+Romance+Matt+Kim+Perform+NlY UVpr-QJCl.jpg

Rooster
12-15-2012, 04:50 PM
The previews of the songs (longer than just 30 seconds) got out, and except for Boxing Day the songs are more energetic. It's not old Blink (I wasn't expecting that), but it sounds more enjoyable than Neighborhoods.

cool 2 hate 681
12-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Yelawolf is going to be on the EP? gross

also that Boxing Day song is not good but I don't think it sounds like Smash Mouth at all people on youtube are really stupid

cool 2 hate 681
12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-GdFtWEaVCs#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n-XFwkAfrQk

cool 2 hate 681
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BqO7oq_j3us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XluQ_E0SANg

Tiny Vessels
12-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I really liked Dogs Eating Dogs and Pretty Little Girl. When I Was Younger and Disaster were alright.

Blitz!
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not so sure about this EP because I wasn't instantly drawn to it, which means that I'll probably land up loving it. I do like Pretty Little Girl, but wasn't to impressed with their attempt at doing a 'Linkin Park' halfway through.

holland25
12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Actually, I like Dogs Eating Dogs. I still miss the good old pop punk blink though... Well, I guess this is growing up :(

jacknife737
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I like the EP - Dogs Eating Dogs was pretty good, as was Pretty Little Girl (well, until the rap section which just sounds horribly out of place).

Liked this stuff better than Neighbourhoods.

cool 2 hate 681
12-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I liked Dogs Eating Dogs and When I Was Younger also Disaster was ok

but I can't really compare it to Neighbourhoods since it's only 5 songs