PDA

View Full Version : Backspacer

Omni
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
The new Pearl Jam album, what do you think? It's uncharacteristically upbeat and happy for a PJ album, which is a good thing. It's probably their best album since the first three. However, I think for most people this is an album you need to listen to two or three times to really like. The first time I listened through it I only liked three or four songs, and I like most of them now.

Best slow song: Unthought Known
Best rocking song: Supersonic

Rooster
10-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Not a bad album, i'm glad they put it out. It's nice to still have some rock bands that actually play rock these days.

Seems like grunge is making a comeback. Pearl Jam and Mudhoney still releasing albums, Stone Temple Pilots coming back, and Alice In Chains releasing the first studio album after 14 years (in my opinion one of the best albums in this decade, if not THE best). I hope this'll somehow help getting rid of the shitty mainstream music we hear today

nieh
10-06-2009, 11:16 AM
This and their s/t albums were both far and away the least creative albums in the band's catalog. Most of the tracks sound like the band just pushed the record button and started playing whatever 3 chord riff came to mind while Vedder just belted out a handful of melodies so simple it's hard to actually call them that. None of the songs actually sound BAD since it's not like any of the three chords are bad chords, and I do tend to enjoy myself when it's on, but seriously, even their first three albums that everyone has been begging them to return to were more creative and risky than these two albums were. They're the musical equivalent of summer blockbusters.

coke_a_holic
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I just don't like Pearl Jam.

THERE I SAID IT.

Llamas
10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I just don't like Pearl Jam.

THERE I SAID IT.

I'm with you!

Omni
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Fuck all y'all hataz :(

Rooster
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Damn guys, it's not THAT bad. I prefer "faster" songs on it though.

That said, their first albums are better, Ten being the best in my opinion - when i bought it i didn't expect it to blow me away (i only had Riot Act previously, so my expectations were kind of low). But i was pleasantly surprised.

Enix Belmont
10-23-2009, 03:51 AM
I actually think it's kind of completely awesome...Best since Ten or at least Vitalogy, I like most songs on it. I'd probably put it in their top 3. Probably the best album this year IMO. But I've always been more of a soundgarden and pearl jam fan rather than alice in chains and nirvana.