PDA

View Full Version : The Tsunami, facts.

Tijs
01-23-2005, 04:24 PM
No whining about how horrible it was in this thread, just a few facts.

The tsunami, well, actually the earthquake which caused the tsunami caused some other things besides a lot of deaths and destruction too, such as:

-Days are shorter, 3 millionth of a second shorter. A big piece of the crust of the earth got closer to the center of the earth, which causes the earth to circulate faster around it's axis.
It's not much, but the fact that earthquakes can cause such a thing is quite interesting.
More info: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/29/quake.wobble.reut/index.html
-Several islands moved a few meters (1meter=40inches). The entire island of Sumatra (part of Indonesia) moved several meters, the island is 1800km/1120miles long.
-The axis of the earth changed, causing the north and south pole both to move 2.5cm/1inch. (Magnetic north and south pole that is, not the geographical poles).
-An enormous number of UFO sightings before Tsunami and earthquake in South and Southeast Asia. More here: http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/12-31h-04.asp
The odd thing about this one is, that in the magazine I got the first three facts from, had a article about UFO's in it, with a possible explenation of what UFO's are:
If you travel faster than the light, you can travel back in time. These rockets will probably be invented in a while (a while=1 year, 10 years, 10000 years). If you can travel back in time, you should know that whatever you do, it changes history, so they just watch, don't say hello or something. By saying they, I mean the humans using this technology. These UFO's might be students or scientists who were studying this tsunami.

(Keep in mind that the first three of these facts are translated to English, by me, so the spelling/grammar isn't optimal).

------------
I love reading scientific magazines.

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 04:29 PM
One day i'll find a way to move the equator on the 49th parallel--the line that goes right along the American-Canadian border. I don't care how many Indians and Indonesians will drawn as a result of this radical shift. I demand a fucking troplical weather in my country.

JoY
01-23-2005, 04:29 PM
hah, this is good info. I'm enjoying this.

Endymion
01-23-2005, 04:40 PM
it's called conservation of angular momentum.

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Tell me if my theory is at all doable, Endy. Mind you I won't be the one doing it. Instead i'll be the mean motherfucker in a black toxedo with a fourty-four in my right arm shouting orders at my team of international scienstists.

Endymion
01-23-2005, 04:53 PM
sure it's doable... i don't think we have the capability to do it yet, though.

HornyPope
01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
What does it take? How does one move the equator 49 latitude north?

Tijs
01-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Just changed my first post in this topic, read it and discuss it I'd say.

meaning_of_life
01-23-2005, 08:13 PM
interesting information, but im sceptical about UFOs relating to the tsunami, and especially that its people going back in time. most of this stuff is put together only to make a good read, i think. and some scientists say you can go back in time at the speed of light, and other scientists say its bullshit. who to believe?

sKratch
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
You don't travel back in time by traveling faster than light... In fact, travel at speeds faster than light is impossible. As you approach the speed of light your clock slows down, so in fact it's equivalent to traveling forward in time.

Endymion
01-23-2005, 10:26 PM
indeed. "who to believe?" how about yourself? do some research, don't listen to people spout. anyway, in most modern gauge theories there are faster-than-light particles. it's no problem. for example, the more than 300 hits at arxiv.org for "tachyon": http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/abs:+tachyon/0/1/0/all/0/1

RXP
01-24-2005, 01:25 AM
This Tsunami is nothin compared to what's coming:

What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

RXP
01-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Oh yeah and it will be 650m high.

meaning_of_life
01-24-2005, 02:37 AM
i just dont trust all these naysayers always predicting doom and gloom, theres been the huge millenium bug scare and other shit that has gotten people scared, but nothing came about it. il just stay a little pessimistic about all this.

RXP
01-24-2005, 02:53 AM
It's going to happen, just a matter of when.

Hysteria
01-24-2005, 03:01 AM
RXP - You've successfully shit-scared anyone from American living in those regions. I applaud you.

JoY
01-24-2005, 03:26 AM
interesting information, but im sceptical about UFOs relating to the tsunami, and especially that its people going back in time. most of this stuff is put together only to make a good read, i think. and some scientists say you can go back in time at the speed of light, and other scientists say its bullshit. who to believe?
hah, be sceptical about UFO's. for all you know your grandson phones you one day, that he's seen you in your teen years, browsing a bbs.

Edit: typing with cigarette between fingers doesn't work well.

meaning_of_life
01-24-2005, 03:32 AM
heh yeh that might change my view on the subject. its not that i dont believe some of these stories, its just that i choose to ignore them because there is a lot of bullshit in some of these judgement day stories. and yes, RXP has scared me, even though i live in australia. but im scared easily anyways. :]

Killb0y
01-24-2005, 03:35 AM
hah, be sceptical about UFO's. for all you know your grandson phones you one day, that he's seen you in your teen years, browsing a bbs.

Edit: typing with cigarette between fingers doesn't work well.

Quit smoking

JoY
01-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Quit smoking
what?
quit telling me to quit smoking.

Tijs
01-24-2005, 04:01 AM
This Tsunami is nothin compared to what's coming:

What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.
I've seen a documentairy about that on TV. A mega-tsunami right? Happened before in some mountainy area. The wave was a few hundred meters high, but not that powerful.

Endymion
01-24-2005, 04:05 AM
i just dont trust all these naysayers always predicting doom and gloom, theres been the huge millenium bug scare and other shit that has gotten people scared, but nothing came about it. il just stay a little pessimistic about all this.
when you have five hundred billion metric tons of rock just hanging over the ocean, it's pretty safe to say it'll drop one of these days. oh, but the waves won't be 650m when they hit the coasts, they'll only be maybe 100. but think about it, that's well over 300 feet. ny is fucked solid. yay for the west coast.

RXP
01-24-2005, 04:12 AM
The wave will be that high according to the estimates from Switzerland where they built a simulation of it. The wave actually gets higher as it gets closer to the coast cause the water becomes shallower so it gets a pushing effect.

Tijs
01-24-2005, 04:14 AM
This is the wave RXP is talking about:
http://www.benfieldhrc.org/CentreNews/press%20releases/LaPalma4.jpg

RXP
01-24-2005, 04:17 AM
One day i'll find a way to move the equator on the 49th parallel--the line that goes right along the American-Canadian border. I don't care how many Indians and Indonesians will drawn as a result of this radical shift. I demand a fucking troplical weather in my country.

Or you could just move to the warmer climates. If the mountain don't come to Mohamad...

meaning_of_life
01-24-2005, 04:27 AM
well im surprised ive heard very little of this. but if all that info is correct then spank my ass and call me charlie. i guess we'l know about it when skratch, sunny bd007h and a few others stop posting. huzzah for NY.

HornyPope
01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
REPOST:

Ahem. Answer me.

Endymion
01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
weeeell. the easiest way would just to tilt the earth so that the border there is in the solar plane. 'course that way the whole 49th wouldn't be in there, but you can have it so the general area, at least on this side of the globe goes through half the year. the other way would be to somehow actually move the poles. i think you'd have to adjust the planetary core to do that... so yeah, not too great.

HornyPope
01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
How do I adjust the planetery core?

*takes notes*

4eh
01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
some facts that i know:

- people had counted and made a conclusion that if they divide all charity money that US had given it would be 1$ from a person. For exaple, in Norway their charity money would be 28$ from a person.

- some information from me as from the geologist: the tsunami was made by a big (real real big) stone that had fallen into the deep crater (the effect was like you are lying in the full bathroom and pull your hand down to the water, so it would be a little wave. there were the same effect). As the fact that wave was formed for 5 till 10 min. (!). besides tsunami that stone had taken up such old minerals and bodies of sea's animals (dead bodies, bones and etc.) that scientists even don't know them. That bodies were delivered to the coast by tsunami. That's why besides the emergency people, there are a lot of scientists.

ninth
01-25-2005, 02:16 PM
yay for the west coast.
No, yay for the MidWest.

Endymion
01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
some facts that i know:

- people had counted and made a conclusion that if they divide all charity money that US had given it would be 1$ from a person. For exaple, in Norway their charity money would be 28$ from a person.

- some information from me as from the geologist: the tsunami was made by a big (real real big) stone that had fallen into the deep crater (the effect was like you are lying in the full bathroom and pull your hand down to the water, so it would be a little wave. there were the same effect). As the fact that wave was formed for 5 till 10 min. (!). besides tsunami that stone had taken up such old minerals and bodies of sea's animals (dead bodies, bones and etc.) that scientists even don't know them. That bodies were delivered to the coast by tsunami. That's why besides the emergency people, there are a lot of scientists.

some facts i know:

- i couldn't care less about people dying on the other side of the world from me. if i won't give money to dying people in my own streets, why would i help those dying in streets i've never seen nor will see?

- the internet isn't a credible source of information. those pictures of fish supposedly washed up by the tsunami are from a research mission near new zealand about a year ago.

HornyPope
01-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Get this : I was doing a thai box class today (just some try-out shit my friend brought me over to -- i normaly stick to karate or judo) and the teacher asked a minute of silence to the victims. I mean, as much as I want people to pay attention to whats happening 'round the globe, the whole concept of death by a big disaster is waaaaaay overhyped. Everyone suddenly cares, everyone suddenly cries when we learn that thousands of people, who remain a mere fraction of those dying of famine and AIDS, have succumbed to a natural event that couldn't have been prevented anyways.

4eh
01-26-2005, 02:23 AM
some facts i know:

- i couldn't care less about people dying on the other side of the world from me. if i won't give money to dying people in my own streets, why would i help those dying in streets i've never seen nor will see?

- the internet isn't a credible source of information. those pictures of fish supposedly washed up by the tsunami are from a research mission near new zealand about a year ago.

- it's just facts, man! you didn't want to you didn't do. that is what i was talking about. Unless there were a lot of people who thought the same as you in the US. I didn't sent money too, but it's cause i don't earn them. We should praise that nothing like it wouldn't happen with us.

- i didn't use such type of information like internet. my geology's teacher was there and he told us that it was something incredible that he had never seen. sorry but i believe him not you. he was a scientist in the past.

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2005, 09:02 AM

I think you'd have to change the entire shape of the Earth. But if the earthquake that caused the tsunamis moved Sumatra, maybe you could set off a ton of huge earthquakes and move the 49th parallel to the equator.

Endymion
01-26-2005, 11:02 AM
- i didn't use such type of information like internet. my geology's teacher was there and he told us that it was something incredible that he had never seen. sorry but i believe him not you. he was a scientist in the past.
i'll wager your soul he's wrong.

sKratch
01-26-2005, 11:14 AM
He was a scientist in the past? What, did they revoke his scientist-ness?

4eh
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
He was a scientist in the past? What, did they revoke his scientist-ness?

he is very old, he had given up all the expeditions, now he's only a teacher which has my very deep respect

Endymion
01-26-2005, 08:10 PM
he's obviously not active in the community, otherwise he wouldn't have made such outrageous claims.

Mota Boy
01-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, supposedly the poles shift every few thousand years, moving the equator along with it. It's my understanding that the Bering Strait had a fairly temperate climate roughly ten thousand years ago. Of course, I got this off a website detailing how the lost city of Atlantis was actually in Anatartica, so I don't know how credible the information is.

Also, I refuse to believe in the Las Palmas tsunami, because the idea of it happening sucks big time.

Endymion
01-26-2005, 10:21 PM
the magnetic poles switch...

neocon58
01-27-2005, 12:49 AM
theres not enough sufficent evidence in those photos to suggest they were seen near the tsunami affected areas.

Endymion
01-27-2005, 01:58 AM
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/15/0029257&from=rss

YOUR SOUL IS MINE!

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Aliens Caused The Earthquake Omg.

Edit: Why can't we type in all caps?

shatskater
01-27-2005, 08:04 AM
i like the theory on the UFO's. very interesting.

Tijs
01-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet but no animals have been found dead yet, where the asian tsunami or whatever it's called was.
Well that's a lie. I've seen footage of dead dogs, horses, cows and stuff. They found two dolphins in lakes in the mainland, they got carried with the Tsunami. One is back in the ocean. I think the other one too, cause I saw it on TV like 2 weeks ago.

4eh
01-27-2005, 09:31 AM
he's obviously not active in the community, otherwise he wouldn't have made such outrageous claims.

and, sorry, who are you ta make such conclusions? just another review reader of magazines where journalists say only their piont of view?

Endymion
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
no, i'm a student with my hand in a few projects at the moment. i know what it's like to be active in scientific communities. right now i'm active in the maglev, smartdust, and digital organism circles (first two for work, the last for personal research).

RXP
01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
'active' in scientific communities means mutal masturbating over maths.

ninth
01-27-2005, 01:50 PM

I remember why I love you.

Endymion
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
'active' in scientific communities means mutal masturbating over maths.
only in part! there's other stuff too.

and thank you ninth; i love you too.