PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Siberian Orchestra

TakesMeNowhere28
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
TSO's new album Night Castle dropped today. I'm about to head out and get it. Anyone else a TSO fan?

Llamas
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
TSO is kind of a polar band for me. On one hand, I love them... on another hand, I hate them.

I really enjoyed Beethoven's Last Night... very clever, well written rock opera. Just purely intelligent. But at the same time, it was very divisive... "heyyyy listen to us play classical music on guitars AREN'T WE SO BADASS???"

I like their first Christmas album a lot (though subsequent Xmas albums grew really redundant for me), and I listen to it every year. But I don't like that they have two separate bands that perform in order to make their tour as big as possible and capitalize on profit. To me, it's two separate bands playing the music that a few people actually wrote.

I think the members of the groups are very musically talented. They write interesting parts... but they don't really excel at writing their own music (which, as a classical fan, I can handle).

So I guess it comes down to this: I really enjoy listening to some of their music, but I don't particularly care for them as a band.

Sorry, this was an especially elaborate post. Maybe I'll go check out the new TSO album :P

TakesMeNowhere28
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I think the reason they use 2 different groups on their tour is because they have such a short time to tour (2 months each year) and the group is in high demand. If they didn't use 2 groups, a shitload of cities would be left out. I don't think it has anything to do with profit. Paul O'Neill has never been in it for profit. Even when he was told he should increase ticket prices to compensate for all the new effects they added to the show, he refused. Their ticket prices are very reasonable considering how many people are involved with each group and the fact that they spend half a million a week on pyrotechnics and other effects. Also, at every show, they take $1 from each ticket sold and give it to charity. That doesn't sound like someone who's in it for profit. I respect your opinion of TSO. I just wanted to clear that up.

zsk
10-28-2009, 08:54 AM
they're high quality musicians ;)
i like their great guitar riffs!