PDA

View Full Version : Thought

Al Coholic
11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Suppose we expanded the statistics in this thing to include stats that show how productive of a member you are. I was always of the opinion that started threads stimulates the board. So the ratio of threads you've started per post could be one. Another could be the average number of replies your thread recieved. And then incentives could be given out, like the 'custom user title' which is currently a lame achievement for anyone who churns out 500 posts of whatever.

I realise there's holes. There's no way to define productive, and starting a bunch of 'forum game' threads like "___ vs ____" which are totally gay would actually improve your stats. There's also a lack of incentives to give, etc. You'd have to work out the details.

Still though, it's a thought.

T-6005
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I thought of another hole, specifically concerning who's going to be doing all of this rating.

Al Coholic
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
The goal here is actually to give users a model of a good poster and for those that need it some kind of goal to attain in order to get good habits. A good poster, besides following some basic etiquette, should contribute. This could be by being insightful, funny, or just being the spark that starts conversation. Often here that spark is an accident of unusual user habits. Some notable times this place was teeming with activity have been:

Bighead and BPB's trolling
Renato's revelation (he's a pedofile)
Ousting BKDH as a troll

It would be nice to complement that kind of activity with a steady stream of new ideas, so I think a few stats about threads could help. Quantifying the quality of a user through statistics is never going to be accurate, but maybe it'd be something. Perhaps just adding depth to the stats would be something.

For example, I have
1,126 posts
89 threads
2560 posts were generated in those threads

>So I have almost .08 threads per day, something I could improve on.
>My thread:post ratio is 1:12. Not bad
>I generate an average of 28.76 replies per thread*
>My posts:posts generated ratio is 1:2. Double! Meaning I've actually brought out twice as much activity as I've made.**

*Bulk threads: This may be a little abstract, but I think if there were a way to flag threads like '____ vs ____' the postcount thread, and other drivel as bulk, that'd make this a lot more accurate. Those threads would then not be counted in the stats as they and the replies they generate are not really contribution.

**Counting my own posts within those threads.

In thinking about what's realistic and not, I've decided to throw out the idea of rating these statistics, BUT I think it couldn't hurt to have them. If some mention of them is made in the forum guidlines, then maybe new users would try to gain respect by contributing, and stats are somewhat of a way to tell if you're doing a decent job. Shitty new users may even face jeers of "your stats are gay" and the like. If anything it might be a simple nudge in a positive direction if the stats were a bit deeper.

Virtuoso
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Not that I don't like your idea but I just doubt it's technically possible on vBulletin boards. I mean, the admins probably won't do more than the forum engine lets them do. I might be wrong though.

SweetTatyana
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I think this would be nice in the way that people who do put a lot of effort into the boards would get some recognition. I do think this is fairly obvious through attendance of the board. If it were aimed at newer people, I am not sure they would clearly understand the statistics the meaning between those statistics if they just signed up, but you never know!

dexter12296566
11-03-2009, 01:05 PM

For example, I have
1,126 posts
89 threads

>My posts:posts generated ratio is 1:2. Double! Meaning I've actually brought out twice as much activity as I've made.**

Wow I have like almost 11 posts per day. I haven't been a board member very long but I have nearly 1,400 posts and I don't evn know how many threads. BTW this is your 7th thought thread. You need to be more creative on these titles of yours.

Renato isn't actually a pedofile!

EDIT: I have 74 threads.

holland25
11-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I actually think it's a good (but impossible) idea...

I've got 8498 posts
24 threads
7,57 posts per day

I don't have time to calculate the other statistics you did.

And, Renato actually is a pedophile.

dexter12296566
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I actually think it's a good (but impossible) idea...

I've got 8498 posts
24 threads
7,57 posts per day

I don't have time to calculate the other statistics you did.

And, Renato actually is a pedophile.

You mean 7.75.
He is not!

T-6005
11-03-2009, 03:24 PM
You mean 7.75.
He is not!

In most parts of Europe the numerical commas and periods are reversed from the way North Americans learn them. So one million, two hundred and twenty seven thousand, three hundred and four point two would look different.

Instead of 1,227,304.2

It would look like 1.227.304,2

dexter12296566
11-03-2009, 03:33 PM
In most parts of Europe the numerical commas and periods are reversed from the way North Americans learn them. So one million, two hundred and twenty seven thousand, three hundred and four point two would look different.

Instead of 1,227,304.2

It would look like 1.227.304,2

Oh wow... really. That is really neat. You learn something new everyday

RageAndLov
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
On another forum I am at, there is a reputation system. Everyone can give everyone a good, neutral or bad rep and the possibility to state the reason why. It will really show more how popular you are on the BBS than how good your posts really are, but nothing is perfect.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
The goal here is actually to give users a model of a good poster and for those that need it some kind of goal to attain in order to get good habits. A good poster, besides following some basic etiquette, should contribute. This could be by being insightful, funny, or just being the spark that starts conversation. Often here that spark is an accident of unusual user habits. Some notable times this place was teeming with activity have been:

Bighead and BPB's trolling
Ousting BKDH as a troll

It would be nice to complement that kind of activity with a steady stream of new ideas, so I think a few stats about threads could help. Quantifying the quality of a user through statistics is never going to be accurate, but maybe it'd be something. Perhaps just adding depth to the stats would be something.

For example, I have
1,126 posts
89 threads

*Bulk threads: This may be a little abstract, but I think if there were a way to flag threads like '____ vs ____' the postcount thread, and other drivel as bulk, that'd make this a lot more accurate. Those threads would then not be counted in the stats as they and the replies they generate are not really contribution.

**Counting my own posts within those threads.

In thinking about what's realistic and not, I've decided to throw out the idea of rating these statistics, BUT I think it couldn't hurt to have them. If some mention of them is made in the forum guidlines, then maybe new users would try to gain respect by contributing, and stats are somewhat of a way to tell if you're doing a decent job. Shitty new users may even face jeers of "your stats are gay" and the like. If anything it might be a simple nudge in a positive direction if the stats were a bit deeper.

ooooh. that was my thread that made renato reveal his secret(now i remember). i was starting to ask my self "how the fuck did renato become a pedofile?"

T-6005
11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
No. Just no. This is idiotic.

Attempting to grade a user past a certain threshold of productivity is beyond insane - it presupposes not only that you can exclude frivolous threads, but (based solely on that distinction and extrapolated) that somewhere you can differentiate worthwhile discussion from discussion that doesn't have the distinction of meeting some arbitrary bar, and the entire eventual spectrum it entails.

The problem with that? It's a fucking fan forum. If you can't pick up on the problem after that simple statement, then I can't help you at all.

Al Coholic
11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Clearly you're just jealous you didn't think of the idea of expanding statistics.

(I've throw out the idea of rating them)

(Fuck you)

randy
11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I donīt think it would work,this place is made for Offspring fans,so the users who post at the General Chat would not be ranked at all,I donīt know if you get what I mean,but my thought is that Al Coholic just want to be told heīs the "best user",I donīt know,I donīt want to argue,but thatīs just what I think.

Al Coholic
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Nah, that's stupid. Don't be so stupid. I'm just talking about stats now, not rating them.

But, do you think I'm the best? Cause a freind of mine wanted to know.

Apathy
11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
As interesting I think it would be to look through them, it's a bad idea. Out of all the trolls and spammers nothing is worse than postcount whores, and this would just create a whole new class of people who get butthurt about trying to expand their e-credibility through incredulous matters.

ad8
11-21-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm with Apathy here. It's bad enough right now with people spamming the boards just to get a custom user title. I understand that people might think about the quality of their posts if we had a rating system, but on the other hand there would also be bragging about how much of a "quality poster" was and others weren't.

dexter12296566
11-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow I have like almost 11 posts per day. I haven't been a board member very long but I have nearly 1,400 posts and I don't evn know how many threads. BTW this is your 7th thought thread. You need to be more creative on these titles of yours.

EDIT: I have 74 threads.

Wow that was about 200 posts ago but it wasn't long ago. I am starting to think I post too much!

Blitz!
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow that was about 200 posts ago but it wasn't long ago. I am starting to think I post too much!

Quality is basically what counts but in your case it seems to be quantity.

_Lost_
11-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Not to mention that in 19 days, you've made 11 new threads dexternumbers.

The number of posts vs. the number of threads stat seems like it would be pretty useless. There are a lot of really thought provoking members on here that hardly ever create new threads. I don't see how 1 in 12 of your posts being the start of a new thread is a good thing. Its seems kind of obnoxious really... especially considering how many of them are complaints that mods locked threads/banned people and then complaints about how they locked the complaint threads. That and you advocating yourself, in your eternal wisdom and genius, to be made a moderator.

dexter12296566
11-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Not to mention that in 19 days, you've made 11 new threads dexternumbers.

The number of posts vs. the number of threads stat seems like it would be pretty useless. There are a lot of really thought provoking members on here that hardly ever create new threads. I don't see how 1 in 12 of your posts being the start of a new thread is a good thing. Its seems kind of obnoxious really... especially considering how many of them are complaints that mods locked threads/banned people and then complaints about how they locked the complaint threads. That and you advocating yourself, in your eternal wisdom and genius, to be made a moderator.

I dont really care who they ban and i dont want to be a mod! I am not mature enough for that power. i would get mad cuz someone called me dumb and ban them. i have threads on wat has happened recently. I complain in other threads i dont usually start threads to complain

_Lost_
11-22-2009, 10:14 AM
only the first sentence was directed at you hun...

Al Coholic
11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Nah, that's like, 4 of my threads. And when the hell did I ever (seriously) complain about a banning?

dexter12296566
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
only the first sentence was directed at you hun...

Oh... that makes more sense because I didn't remember doing any of that other stuff!

SweetTatyana
11-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Why do you want to be a mod so badly?

Sidewinder
12-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't like this idea.

By the way, since making this new account after losing AAE's password, I've only been averaging .7 ppd.

holland25
12-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Cass, He means if you type in bandwithoutaname.tk, it re-directs to his user profile for some reason.

What the fuck is this troll and why does he know dexter74864167643's name?

DMelges
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Suppose we expanded the statistics in this thing to include stats that show how productive of a member you are. I was always of the opinion that started threads stimulates the board. So the ratio of threads you've started per post could be one. Another could be the average number of replies your thread recieved. And then incentives could be given out, like the 'custom user title' which is currently a lame achievement for anyone who churns out 500 posts of whatever.

I think it's an interesting idea, although one major hole there is that the number of posts you recieve has nothing to do with how 'productive' you are. I've seen a million posts here that have more posts complaining about the thread than actually debating something. Dexternumbers' threads mostly have alot of posts negative comments, and that's not productive.
What I do think is a good idea though is by 'rating' the member by number of decent threads (debatable topics and intersting news, or file sharing), and also by 'good manner'. Members who treat other members well without cursing or ridiculing for no reason, as many members here do, also can be taken into account.

dexter12296566
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
What the fuck is this troll and why does he know dexter74864167643's name?

:eek:I kind of want to know what other names s/he goes by because I also want to know how they know my name!

DMelges
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
What was this thread about again ?

holland25
12-11-2009, 01:09 AM
after losing AAE's password

Aaah, so that's why you changed your username.

Al Coholic
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
You wanna know a really lame stat? Yeat to date, I've been responsible for 6% of all threads created in General Chat. 6%! About one out of every 17 threads created in the last year...

http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

RageAndLov
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
You wanna know a really lame stat? Yeat to date, I've been responsible for 6% of all threads created in General Chat. 6%! About one out of every 17 threads created in the last year...

http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

6 % of 2009's threads or of all time?

Al Coholic
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
oh yeah, 2009...

IamSam
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.

DMelges
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Quantity does not necessarily mean quality.

Bazinga. :rolleyes:

ospringfan112113
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
It's a good idea Al has,I did'nt even realize how many posts I usely post in a day till after I read this.

holland25
01-12-2010, 01:20 AM
It's written in your profile, here:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9979/jeasj.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/jeasj.jpg/)

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM

I don't comment on most of the stupid things you say, but this is the stupidest. He fucked children. He's a pedophile. How can you not understand that?

I thought of another hole

Hehehe.

ospringfan112113
01-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't comment on most of the stupid things you say, but this is the stupidest. He fucked children. He's a pedophile. How can you not understand that?

Hehehe.I just do'nt understand why you have to be a jerk to her about what she said,She was just saying what she thought, no reason to be so hostile about that.

Thomas
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I just do'nt understand why you have to be a jerk to her about what she said,She was just saying what she thought, no reason to be so hostile about that.

And he was just saying what he thought. No reason to be so hostile about that.

ospringfan112113
01-16-2010, 08:49 PM
And he was just saying what he thought. No reason to be so hostile about that.Well did HE know she was just speaking her mind as well?I'm just guesing he did'nt.

0r4ng3
01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Well did YOU know he was just speaking his mind as well?

This could go on for days.

Little_Miss_1565
01-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Speaking one's mind or not, it doesn't change the facts. And the fact is that he bragged about banging children. And that trying to pretend this doesn't make him a pedophile is, in fact, stupid.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 03:48 AM
I just do'nt understand why you have to be a jerk to her about what she said,She was just saying what she thought, no reason to be so hostile about that.

Yeah, she was just saying what she thought. Unfortunately, what she thinks is, in this instance, utterly ridiculous. She said in two different posts that Renato is not a pedophile.

Renato himself has told us, boastfully, about the children he has had sex with. By law this makes him a pedophile. Sorry, but I think there is every reason to be hostile to someone who expresses a belief contrary to indisputable fact.

I'll happily joke about this kind of thing all day long, but only so long as there is an understanding that everyone is fully aware that it is actually a serious matter. Dexternumbers clearly implied that she either doesn't really understand what Renato did, or else thinks it was no big deal. This deserves hostility so that she will understand it's serious.

Well did HE know she was just speaking her mind as well?I'm just guesing he did'nt.

What else could I have possibly thought she was doing? Of course she was speaking her mind. You're speaking yours, such as it is, and I'm speaking mine. Sometimes when we speak our minds we say stupid shit and need to be called out on it. Don't worry, I do it too. We all do. Some just do it more often...but anyway. As for the jerk comment, this is actually me being nice about this.

ospringfan112113
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, she was just saying what she thought. Unfortunately, what she thinks is, in this instance, utterly ridiculous. She said in two different posts that Renato is not a pedophile.

Renato himself has told us, boastfully, about the children he has had sex with. By law this makes him a pedophile. Sorry, but I think there is every reason to be hostile to someone who expresses a belief contrary to indisputable fact.

I'll happily joke about this kind of thing all day long, but only so long as there is an understanding that everyone is fully aware that it is actually a serious matter. Dexternumbers clearly implied that she either doesn't really understand what Renato did, or else thinks it was no big deal. This deserves hostility so that she will understand it's serious.

What else could I have possibly thought she was doing? Of course she was speaking her mind. You're speaking yours, such as it is, and I'm speaking mine. Sometimes when we speak our minds we say stupid shit and need to be called out on it. Don't worry, I do it too. We all do. Some just do it more often...but anyway. As for the jerk comment, this is actually me being nice about this.So what you're saying is that every time we post something we are speaking our minds? That makes sense.

IamSam
01-17-2010, 03:36 PM
So what you're saying is that every time we post something we are speaking our minds? That makes sense.

But what if you state something that you don't believe in yet somebody else had verbalized?

ospringfan112113
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
But what if you state something that you don't believe in yet somebody else had verbalized?That's a good point.

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 11:09 AM
But what if you state something that you don't believe in yet somebody else had verbalized?

That's called working for Fox News.

ospringfan112113
01-18-2010, 11:32 AM
That's called working for Fox News.Haha,Great.

batfish
01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I used to post in a forum that had a "karma" thing next to the username and other users could raise or lower it one point to give a + or - score.
I didn't like it - Problems:
-people were in cliques and just boosted each other's score ("I'll up yours if you up mine" (teehee)
-some people got butthurt their karma wasn't high enough
-people with a low enough negative score revelled in it and behaved even worse

The whole thing was just stopped after a month or so.

I don't really see the point. We have stars next to individual threads. People who care enough know who the productive members are.

I'd even prefer the raw stats that were first suggested (despite the problems already mentioned)

dexter12296566
01-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Hehehe.

because he was a child when he fucked a child!

Alison
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
because he was a child when he fucked a child!

The children were under the age of consent, how do you not get it?!

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
The children were under the age of consent, how do you not get it?!

There are laws and I made a whole post out of it. Laws in Mexico where Renato is from and in a lot of different states of the US, France also wouldn't consider it as an offence if it wasn't rape and if he was INDEED 16 at the time of the facts. That's a whole different story if he was 18 of course.

That doesn't make it more right though..

BUT you are absolutely right about Ireland, it would have definitely been an offence since the law states it is "any person who attemps to have sex with someone under the age of 15 bla bla bla" since 2006. ( http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2006/a1506.pdf )

This is a very delicate case...What is sure is that Renato shouldn't have had sex with 13 yo...

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
What else is sure is that this discussion really has no place Offspring.com Talk.