PDA

View Full Version : Movies' impact on technology

DMelges
11-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Think about it.

The whole idea of flying cars, holograms, teleportaiton, lasers, robots, touch screen devices, and even the technology of modifing foods for more benefits... All these ideas came from movies. Maybe we wouldn't even have thought of some of this stuff if it weren't for what we have seen in the movies. And my guess is that movies will continue spreading ideas like these...

What do you think ?

IamSam
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Or is it technology influencing movies?

nameless
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
the parts in movies would have to be researched so there was some kind of factual or logical reasoning behind them, other wise it would probably get ridiculed for being completely unrealistic! i doubt someone watching something in a film and theyd like to make it happen in real life!

Outerspaceman21
11-20-2009, 12:50 AM
This reminds me of some special I saw on tv where they were trying to see if the stuff in Star Wars was theoretically possible to make, like the Lightsabar.

This is hard to say. Shit like 2001: A Space Odessey might have had some influence on the young generation to see if it was possible to make such invention, but I'm not sure if that was an complete influence or it happen in a semi natural way. Pardon me if I'm not being clear because I'm not sure how to phrase it.

DMelges
11-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Think about it this way. Normally when we see futuristic cars in movies, they are small and very abstract. Today, with 'futuristic' cars starting to come into production, they look the same way in the movies. It was definetly influenced by the movies. Same thing goes for other vehicles of any kind.

Star Wars and Star Trek introduced the laser beams and flying through space, going to other planets, and etc. Sure, we would have thought of those things soon or later, but movies kinda of have us a head start. We started imagining how it would be in real life, and started working on it as fast as we could.

And another thing... almost every time I read an article about a new technology surfacing, they always compare it to a movie as 'like in the movie...'