PDA

View Full Version : 6 Historic Villains You Didn't Know Had Incredible Carreers.

DMelges
11-20-2009, 06:26 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article/186_6-historic-villains-you-didnt-know-had-incredible-careers/

Interesting stuff =]

wheelchairman
11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Pretty good article, although I already knew that Aaron Burr was cool, much cooler than Hamilton who probably never had a good idea in his life.

Apathy
11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Cracked articles kind of piss me off. Anyone whose taken just one or two history classes likely knows more than half of that. Then they present it as though it's something that no one would ever know and through in a few profanities and mention balls every time they want to pay someone a compliment because they know they think teenage boys will want to read this. And they do, unfortunately.

And they didn't even talk about the time that Aaron Burr tried to form his own monarchy in the west without anyone noticing.

wheelchairman
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
At first I thought I had made a mistake, so I checked on wiki. It was Hamilton who proposed a monarchy-like constitution of government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton#Constitution_and_Federalist_Pap ers), whereas it seems the charges against Aaron Burr were slander to discredit him. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Burr)

DMelges
11-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Cracked articles kind of piss me off. Anyone whose taken just one or two history classes likely knows more than half of that. Then they present it as though it's something that no one would ever know and through in a few profanities and mention balls every time they want to pay someone a compliment because they know they think teenage boys will want to read this. And they do, unfortunately.

And they didn't even talk about the time that Aaron Burr tried to form his own monarchy in the west without anyone noticing.

I agree and disagree. Yes, GOOD history classes will teach you this stuff. But depending on wich country you live in and what kind of education you have had, you won't see much of this. I myself only knew about a couple of those things, and that's because I researched on my own.

That_Guy91
11-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Huh. I thought Mengele might make the list.

Apathy
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
At first I thought I had made a mistake, so I checked on wiki. It was Hamilton who proposed a monarchy-like constitution of government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton#Constitution_and_Federalist_Pap ers), whereas it seems the charges against Aaron Burr were slander to discredit him. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Burr)

You can't really just dismiss this as outright slander...it was much more convoluted than that. I'm not really sure why you're mentioning Hamilton.

Irish-Rover
11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
cool and very true about chamberlain though i dont support him

PedroACastro
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
i actually like cracked a lot and find it funny. true about the history stuff though you can learn more if you just research a little. jesus on family guy liked it :D

T-6005
11-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I really enjoyed that Neville Chamberlain MSNBC video. It just goes to show... something.

Personally I have quite a vague grasp of history, and had no problem admitting to myself that I needed to look up Chamberlain's role in WWII politics because I had no idea. A lack of knowledge in a field isn't a failure as a human.

DMelges
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
A lack of knowledge in a field isn't a failure as a human.

Of course not. I didn't know half the things in that article. I was most familiar with Booth, and only bits and pieces of the rest.

Llamas
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
i actually like cracked a lot and find it funny. true about the history stuff though you can learn more if you just research a little.
I concur. I think cracked writes some shit articles, and some great ones. And they're on the extreme ends; they either really really miss, or hit dead on. Sure, some of the stuff isn't really all that obscure, but so what? Some people don't know about everything.

Personally I have quite a vague grasp of history, and had no problem admitting to myself that I needed to look up Chamberlain's role in WWII politics because I had no idea. A lack of knowledge in a field isn't a failure as a human.

Same here. I know the names of all the people mentioned, but I can't say I knew most of what the article talked about. I took history courses growing up, but either I didn't learn this stuff or I didn't retain it.

In conclusion, I liked the article. :)

wheelchairman
11-21-2009, 06:10 AM
You can't really just dismiss this as outright slander...it was much more convoluted than that. I'm not really sure why you're mentioning Hamilton.

Because he was the person who could actually be accused of starting his own monarchy, or at least suggesting it. As opposed to Aaron Burr.

Apathy
11-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Ah, but it's not "as opposed" because Aaron Burr WAS accused of it and Hamilton merely mentioned it, as a legitimate idea before the creation of the actual United States.