PDA

View Full Version : How to handle anxiety attacks!

dexter12296566
11-25-2009, 06:42 PM
I started a new sleeping pill and I wanted to come on for a while but now my heart is racing and I am scared after a bad reaction to a medication I took 2 years ago! I am having an anxiety attack really bad! HELP!

cool 2 hate 681
11-25-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mi0AzHeVA

Lizardus
11-25-2009, 09:03 PM
When anxiety attacks, you fight back!
With foamy swords!

Thomas
11-25-2009, 09:09 PM
When anxiety attacks, you fight back!
With foamy swords!

They do say the best defense is a good offence...

ninthz
11-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Stab self in stomach. Repeatedly.

dff_punk
11-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Get off the pill.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Last night I slept all night because of the sleeping pill and the night before(I didn't start the sleeping pill) I slept for about one hour!

drummerbecca
11-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I know the majority of the answers in here are piss takes, but I get bad anxiety attacks too. It's no laughing matter. I would agree with Thomas and say stop taking the pills immediately if they are what triggered it. Go back and see your doctor and discuss other options. For when you actually have the panic attack, just try to sit and relax. Control your breathing etc and get your mind on something else.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 07:50 AM
I know the majority of the answers in here are piss takes, but I get bad anxiety attacks too. It's no laughing matter. I would agree with Thomas and say stop taking the pills immediately if they are what triggered it. Go back and see your doctor and discuss other options. For when you actually have the panic attack, just try to sit and relax. Control your breathing etc and get your mind on something else.

Thanx but I think dff_punk was the one that said that!

drummerbecca
11-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanx but I think dff_punk was the one that said that!

Yep, sorry, misread it when I scrolled back up.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lLs2dC9NaE

This song seems to calm me down a lot but it makes me cry(since seeing Look Who's Talkin', Too)!

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 08:06 AM
You need to stabilize your sleeping patern. Why did you sleep only one hour?

You ask like I tried to. I laid in bed for hours and thought "it probably seems longer because I am not doing anything" and I looked at the clock and it was nearly 5 in the morning!

ad8
11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Do you have ADHD?
Anyway, get off the pills.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Do you have ADHD?
Anyway, get off the pills.\
I have been diagnosed but my new doctor says it is a misdiagnosis. the pill is only melatonin. my mom says i am just nervous adding more pills

If you can't sleep at night, sleep at day if you can. It accumulates. Some sleep is better than none.

i used to take naps alot but my dad said i am too old and doesnt want me too

ad8
11-26-2009, 09:12 AM
\
I have been diagnosed but my new doctor says it is a misdiagnosis. the pill is only melatonin. my mom says i am just nervous adding more pills

i used to take naps alot but my dad said i am too old and doesnt want me too

Well that sucks. Why the fuck would one be too old for sleeping? Anyway, if you are not able to sleep at night, just try to do some kind of sports in the evening which will exhaust you so much that you just fall in bed right away.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Well that sucks. Why the fuck would one be too old for sleeping? Anyway, if you are not able to sleep at night, just try to do some kind of sports in the evening which will exhaust you so much that you just fall in bed right away.

he doesnt say i am too old for sleeping he says i am too old for naps during the day

ad8
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM
he doesnt say i am too old for sleeping he says i am too old for naps during the day
But how are you too old for sleeping during the day? Whenever I am tired I just lay down and sleep a while. What does that have to do with being childish?

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 09:18 AM
But how are you too old for sleeping during the day? Whenever I am tired I just lay down and sleep a while. What does that have to do with being childish?

idk. my dad says a lot of things.

Thomas
11-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Shoot... I've taken more naps in college than I have the rest of my life before that...

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
That sounds dumb. I don't like it. Don't listen to him and take a nap, but carry out you duties later, if he needs you to do something...

what do i need to do? i am on here most of the time after i finish school stuff and when i am not watching jon and kate plus 8

disclaimer_07
11-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I know how it feels. I've been almost constantly anxious for a few days now. The best way is to do something that can keep you busy or entertained.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I know how it feels. I've been almost constantly anxious for a few days now. The best way is to do something that can keep you busy or entertained.

like what? I don't know what to do!

jacknife737
11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Shoot... I've taken more naps in college than I have the rest of my life before that...

This is very true on my part.

Superdope
11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
naps > almost everything else

come out swinging
11-26-2009, 02:20 PM
She should ask her doctor for some medical marijuana since in MA it is legal with a prescription. On the other hand if her doctor wont give her the prescription go the the streets and get up to a Z.

T-6005
11-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Apparently I'm the only napless wonder in here.

[[Meli.x]]
11-26-2009, 05:08 PM
i dont know what to say about the anxiety attacks, but im an insomniac too.. but i darent go on sleeping tablets because im also an avid sleepwalker... sucks to be me in the middle of the night...
The little sleep i do get is completely useless because of my compulsion to wander around...
ive had trouble sleeping for the past 7 years, none of the "normal" things seem to get me to sleep. its just one of those things i guess. but i do know how shit it is, and how desperate you probably are to get a nights sleep.. but sleeping tablets have some horrible side effects. when im lying awake i tend to think about my day, think about what i would have liked to have said rather than what i did say etc.. that tends to pass a couple of hours.. but after about 3 im at a loss as to what to do...

My advice is get off the tablets youre on and before you go on the next one, read every possible side effect, if youre prone to anxiety attacks anyway, they would just magnify it.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 06:23 PM
So I took melatonin again and I seem to be freaking out again!

T-6005
11-26-2009, 06:44 PM
It seems a simple matter to assure you you're probably not having a reaction to melatonin. It's a chemical that is produced in the body, so if you were prone to having any sort of complications with it, you'd know already. You'd probably have been screwed from day 1.

You're just freaking yourself out. Now stop it and go to sleep.

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 06:46 PM
It seems a simple matter to assure you you're probably not having a reaction to melatonin. It's a chemical that is produced in the body, so if you were prone to having any sort of complications with it, you'd know already.

You're just freaking yourself out. Now stop it and go to sleep.

I know that. I just don't know why I am freaked out. For some reason I still am not extremely tired yet!

T-6005
11-26-2009, 07:44 PM
That's probably because you're up checking the forums. Newsflash - Artificial light keeps people awake.

Hypno Toad
11-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I used to get a lot of these before I became laid back and careless.

Used to get these chest pains where my heart would race.. chest would cramp up right over my liver.

dexter12296566
11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I used to get a lot of these before I became laid back and careless.

Used to get these chest pains where my heart would race.. chest would cramp up right over my liver.

same here. I can actually feel my liver!

dexter12296566
11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
So this time I don't think it is anxiety but I put all my pills in my hand at once and take them together and i think i will puke!

JoY
11-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Do you have ADHD?
Anyway, get off the pills.

ADHD has absolute no direct relation with anxiety/panic disorders.

What the hell is everyone doing, saying she should stop taking the pills she's taking? a) Most sleep medication you can't quit at once, because most of them form some kind of physical dependance, & your body & mind (for as far as those are not the same) can respond real badly to immediate deprivation. b) Barely anyone has even ASKED what she's taking. This, while you can find side-effects of about anything straight on the internet. For all you know, it has absolutely nothing to do with her medication whatsoever. & I can tell you now; Most often medication has absolutely nothing to do with an anxiety attack. If anything, anxiety attacks can be triggered by sleep deprivation.

dexter12296566
11-28-2009, 07:01 AM

That is true. I have anxiety disorder and paranoia(as said by two doctors) though!

ad8
11-29-2009, 01:37 AM

What the hell is everyone doing, saying she should stop taking the pills she's taking? a) Most sleep medication you can't quit at once, because most of them form some kind of physical dependance, & your body & mind (for as far as those are not the same) can respond real badly to immediate deprivation. b) Barely anyone has even ASKED what she's taking. This, while you can find side-effects of about anything straight on the internet. For all you know, it has absolutely nothing to do with her medication whatsoever. & I can tell you now; Most often medication has absolutely nothing to do with an anxiety attack. If anything, anxiety attacks can be triggered by sleep deprivation.

I wasn't referring to the anxiety attacks. I was trying to find a reason why she stays awake for so long, but then again ADHD is not likely to cause that either, is it?

Alison
11-29-2009, 03:13 AM
You should really get a hobby, like something to do with sports. Do something that keeps your mind busy, and will also have you nice and tired so that you get to sleep at night easier.
I always find I'm a lot happier when I have a busy day and I'm not sitting at home for hours.
But I'm guessing you're not gonna take much of the advice given by anyone.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
You should really get a hobby, like something to do with sports. Do something that keeps your mind busy, and will also have you nice and tired so that you get to sleep at night easier.
I always find I'm a lot happier when I have a busy day and I'm not sitting at home for hours.
But I'm guessing you're not gonna take much of the advice given by anyone.

My parents won't let me play sports so I am on here most of the timme. Sometimes I go to the park. I like swinging!

Smash punker
11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey girl. Why donīt U get some beers n Uīre gonna sleep like a baby :D;)

Sidewinder
11-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Melatonin is a chemical that occurs naturally in your body, not to mention some foods (e.g. bananas) have plenty of it. It's basically the pill they give someone with sleep problems in order to get their sleep schedule steady. With an increase in Melatonin, assuming you take it relatively around the same time at night, your body will 'learn' that it's this time of night/day that you should be getting tired. It's not designed to be a 'knock you out' pill or anything. Taking a low dose of Melatonin would be the same as eating a banana, maybe two, before bed. Perfectly harmless.

dexter12296566
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Melatonin is a chemical that occurs naturally in your body, not to mention some foods (e.g. bananas) have plenty of it. It's basically the pill they give someone with sleep problems in order to get their sleep schedule steady. With an increase in Melatonin, assuming you take it relatively around the same time at night, your body will 'learn' that it's this time of night/day that you should be getting tired. It's not designed to be a 'knock you out' pill or anything. Taking a low dose of Melatonin would be the same as eating a banana, maybe two, before bed. Perfectly harmless.

It seems to be anxiety because of my past experience rather than an actual reaction!

Llamas
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
How are people still giving this thing advice? dexternumbers has made 17 of the 40 posts in this thread, and not *once* taken any advice or thanked anyone... does anyone actually still think this person actually wants advice and not just attention?

Alison
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey girl. Why donīt U get some beers n Uīre gonna sleep like a baby :D;)

good idea...or alcohol in general. After a few vodkas I''m straight off to sleep!
(This is a joke, so there's no need to say "I'm too young/not allowed to drink alcohol!")

mip_04
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
I also have anxiety attacks, and I ask the same question...

dff_punk
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Alcohol helps in every way with panic attacks. But I do not recommend it, you could develop an addiction. Not even saying you are 15 years old.

Cock Joke
11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
I cannot believe nobody has said this yet.

Stop! Take some time to think! Figure out what's important to you!

You gotta maaaaake a serious decision!

dexter12296566
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
In response to llamas, the advice were things like "stop the pills" and if I stop I won't sleep!

EDIT: Dusky, I am not a basket case. I do have problems but I am NOT a basket case. They only let me online so i will shut up and leave them alone. With sports, it cost money(first problem) and they said i dont have good enough social skills to be on a team and they say i am a butterfingers and im awkward and uncoordinated and i would suck at sports. They think i will get hurt!

Sidewinder
11-30-2009, 08:09 PM
My advice was essentially chill the fuck out.

Baldwin
12-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Melatonin sounds like that stuff that makes niggers black. Switch to nitrazepam.

dexter12296566
12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Today I had an anxiety attack and I think I might have an idea of what caused it, but I do know that it had nothing to do with the melatonin! I seemed to have gotten better with my anxiety for about a year but it seems to be coming back. Sometimes I try puzzles. I practice guitar and I had taken a break from the forum for a few days, but it seems the longer I stayed away the worse it got. I feel very happy, almost too happy but I still have anxiety!

T-6005
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Anxiety is circular. You're afraid because you're afraid, understand?

You're freaking yourself out - it's kind of the basis for panic disorder.

dexter12296566
12-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Anxiety is circular. You're afraid because you're afraid, understand?

You're freaking yourself out - it's kind of the basis for panic disorder.

So it is basically like the only thing to fear is fear and i am getting scared because i think i am scared? that is a bit confusing but seems logical. So what do i do to stop being scared?

wheelchairman
12-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Think rationally.

I know you're a teenage girl, so that might be impossible, but good luck!

dexter12296566
12-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Think rationally.

I know you're a teenage girl, so that might be impossible, but good luck!

That is sexist! What exactly is rational?!

wheelchairman
12-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I rest my case.

Alison
12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Hahahaha, unreal!

To stop being scared of being scared, you have to keep your mind busy...think of things to do..

My stomach has got a lot better ever since I started hanging out with my friends a lot more. I have less time to worry and think "oh shit, I hope my stomach doesnt start fucking up" (when I thought that, it always, always would start acting up).
If you have anything you must settle with someone, settle it and get your mind clear from any anxieties about friends, family etc etc. I was having a bit of a rough time with some friends, but it's all sorted out now, and I do feel better.
So maybe you should hang out more with your friends, and relax.

dexter12296566
12-05-2009, 11:08 AM
My anxiety does trigger my acid reflux disease but I don't really have much I can do. I have started to read and attempt puzzles, though. Thanks for the advice. WCM, what did that comment mean?!