PDA

View Full Version : My dad killed a dog

_Lost_
11-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm really conflicted about it. It was my uncle's beagle Snuggles. He was only like 6 or so but he had a cough that wouldn't get better. I guess he was pretty sick, but I don't think they ever took him to the vet for it. They are moving into my great grandma's old house, because everyone in the family agreed the house should be theirs and they didn't want to take him there. So my uncle asked him to put Snuggles down. My dad said it felt odd to do it, because Snuggles may not have been super healthy, but he was still a much happier, healthier dog than his dog (who is at least 17, she was full grown when he got her 16 years ago.) She's old and pretty miserable.

This whole thing really bothers me. Last time I saw Snuggles, he seemed happy enough.

Lizardus
11-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you live in Reno? If you do, did you watch him die?

T-6005
11-27-2009, 11:22 PM
More importantly, is your dad's name Lennie?

I feel your pain, though - well, sort of. My grandmother's cat had a litter and my grandmother ended up putting them in a bag with a rag soaked in ether and drowning them. She's in the country and no one will take a kitten unless it randomly wanders into their home half-feral. It's a weird distinction but the kittens would have died, probably of starvation, anyway, and she couldn't handle 8 cats at once, all likely to get litters of their own.

So what do you do?

barangatang
11-27-2009, 11:45 PM
oh my god i'm really so sorry that your dog died death is just another part of life blah blah blah blah blah blah

T-6005
11-27-2009, 11:49 PM
death is just another part of life

Yeah. The end of it.

Lizardus
11-28-2009, 12:36 AM
So what do you do?

Learn how to cook?

Alison
11-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Bring them to a shelter? Neuter or spay the cat?

Also, I guess it's not fair the dog died if it hadnt been brought to a vet to try treat the cough..:(

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I mean, like, my dad had killed cats before cause they were beating up on his cat, who was old, and stealing her food. That makes sense. But this just bothers me.

randy
11-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Your dad rules.

Alison
11-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I know someone, and one day his girldfirnd was over and they had sex on the couch and somehow left a shit stain on it. Later on when his dad asked him what had happened he said the dog done it...so the dad took the dog down the garden and shot it. =/

KHWHD
11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I know someone, and one day his girldfirnd was over and they had sex on the couch and somehow left a shit stain on it. Later on when his dad asked him what had happened he said the dog done it...so the dad took the dog down the garden and shot it. =/

So they let the dog die without speaking up and telling the Dad that they had sex and shit on the couch and that it wasn't the dog? That's just wrong.

ninthz
11-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Karin, did your father rape it to death?

Alison
11-28-2009, 01:22 PM
So they let the dog die without speaking up and telling the Dad that they had sex and shit on the couch and that it wasn't the dog? That's just wrong.

Yeah i know. Not nice :(

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Karin, did your father rape it to death?

I wouldn't know, Sean. That's not the kind of thing a father would talk about with his daughter.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
how did you dad killed him?

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
With a rifle of some form.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
With a rifle of some form.

luckily for your dad, i am not his daughter....cause if i were...

edit: it bothers me that the RSPCA does not exist in every country, and usually these sick kind of things only take place with no one around to testify....poor doggy!

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I mean, like, my dad had killed cats before cause they were beating up on his cat, who was old, and stealing her food. That makes sense. But this just bothers me.

ok i just read that

i gotta say that i used to have this stupid kid in my classroom, and my dad had to kill him too cause he wouldnt stop beating me and stealing my food.
it makes sense.

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 02:32 PM
They were feral strays. Mean ones.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
They were feral strays. Mean ones.

still. i dont think it's the right way of dealing with it. seriously. i'm sad that u think like that.

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 02:45 PM
how could he deal with it? catch them? they won't let anyone near. scare them off? fireworks, yelling, and shots fired into the air won't keep them away. so should she have just starved?

Jebus
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
ok i just read that

i gotta say that i used to have this stupid kid in my classroom, and my dad had to kill him too cause he wouldnt stop beating me and stealing my food.
it makes sense.
Hey, lets start comparing the Holocaust to the meat industry while we're at it.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
how could he deal with it? catch them? they won't let anyone near. scare them off? fireworks, yelling, and shots fired into the air won't keep them away. so should she have just starved?

well, to start with, y wouldn't he keep the cat INSIDE the house? or at least only while he was gone?

wut bout neutering those animals or give them food to provide the same end?

wut but calling some animal protection league? or something?

all i know is that i could never do that, could never watch someone doing that, would never let someone doing that. specially my dad.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey, lets start comparing the Holocaust to the meat industry while we're at it.

wanna ask the animals? i bet wut the answer would be :P

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 02:55 PM
lol rutegard. the cat had been an outdoor cat for ten years. she refused to come inside. and once again, how is anyone, spca or not, gonna catch the damn things when the moment they hear people they flee. And i know that if they did catch them, being feral and all, they wouldn't be eligible for adoption and would just be put down anyway. They won't put a cat up for adoption if its terrified and mean.

And my dad didn't want stray cats around beating up on his cat and kicking her out of her sleeping area above the carport.

they wouldn't survive an animal shelter and they would cause his tame, very sweet cat to starve to death.

Rutegard
11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
lol rutegard. the cat had been an outdoor cat for ten years. she refused to come inside. and once again, how is anyone, spca or not, gonna catch the damn things when the moment they hear people they flee. And i know that if they did catch them, being feral and all, they wouldn't be eligible for adoption and would just be put down anyway. They won't put a cat up for adoption if its terrified and mean.

And my dad didn't want stray cats around beating up on his cat and kicking her out of her sleeping area above the carport.

they wouldn't survive an animal shelter and they would cause his tame, very sweet cat to starve to death.

yes, i know all of that, but they would be put down in a more human way, havent u seen all those maltreated cats that come into any vet hospital cause someone fucking shot at them?

ppl fail...ppl miss the target, but the ones that die painfully and slowly r those cats that u call mean.

and yeah, i know how to catch "mean" animals cause ive already done that, ppl gotta be smart and patience. its not easy, no sir, but its doable.

tho i knw that most ppl dont even care bout that. ppl want fast and simple things :P

either way, u opened a public thread and im just giving my opinion

i do not agree with u

edit: and i would be miserable if i were in your situation

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 07:38 PM
you can't catch a cat that is 300 yards away ana. thats all i'm saying.

dexter12296566
11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I thought you said Snuggles wasn't going to be put to sleep. If he died due to the cough that nobody took care of, I would not post this information on the internet, unless you want your father to get fined and possibly go to prison for animal cruelty/neglect.

By the way, Lizardus, life is not a Johnny Cash song!

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I think that with proper care, he probably could have been fine.

I understand what you are saying Ana. I really do. But people are always going to put a higher value on their own animals. I'd do anything to protect mine. Living in the middle of nowhere is not like living in town. My dad's has called animal catchers when stray dogs have come onto the property and won't leave, but they are friendly and don't mean harm to anyone/thing, but good luck getting one of those cats to stick around long enough for them to get there and catch it. That's just not going to happen.

Its not like "I see a cat and I'm gonna kill it." Its more of a "That cats been coming back for a couple weeks. I've tried scaring it. Penny is limping today. I heard them fighting in the carport then I saw it chase her off."

dexter12296566
11-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I think that with proper care, he probably could have been fine.

That is where the animal cruelty/neglect comes in. He didn't seek proper care, or as it appears, any health care at all. According to the ASPCA that is neglect and because of it, the animal suffered. I'm sorry to say it but the ASPCA could put him in prison for five or more years for that and he could be fined over $100,000.

_Lost_
11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Not likely in North Carolina. The SPCA is a little more concerned with the pit fighting rings and cock fighting. Around here, those are common. Pits are very popular. If the dog were starved and left tied to a chain in a collar that hadn't been loosened since puppyhood, that might be a prosecutable argument for abuse, but an untreated cough is not.

dexter12296566
11-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Not likely in North Carolina. The SPCA is a little more concerned with the pit fighting rings and cock fighting. Around here, those are common. Pits are very popular. If the dog were starved and left tied to a chain in a collar that hadn't been loosened since puppyhood, that might be a prosecutable argument for abuse, but an untreated cough is not.

It normally wouldn't be but animal cruelty is becoming more common and anyone who even refuses to seek proper health care can be severely punished, which I actually find okay but those laws are in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, California, Texas, Arizona and Florida so I guess they don't apply to you anyway!

Alison
11-29-2009, 04:08 AM
It's really not so simple, dexternumbers. I'm not so sure about the deal in America, but I know that for anything to be done by the ISPCA, it takes a HUGE amount of effort, and most cases are let slip. For example...in Galway (a county, just a fraction of Ireland), in 2008, over 5,000 cases of animal abuse were checked out, only ONE was followed through to a court case.
Now, I'm not sure what the situation in the US is...but if it's anything like Ireland, there is a tiny chance that anyone is prosecuted. And with that, there must be someone to witness it.

_Lost_
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Exactly. Unless its something huge, like a dog fighting ring, abuse is rarely going to see court, even in Massachusetts. The laws may be there Dexternumbers, but there are also laws that ban teenagers from using their cellphones while driving and I've never heard of a single person getting a ticket.

Harleyquiiinn
11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Exactly. Unless its something huge, like a dog fighting ring, abuse is rarely going to see court, even in Massachusetts. The laws may be there Dexternumbers, but there are also laws that ban teenagers from using their cellphones while driving and I've never heard of a single person getting a ticket.

Why just teenagers ? :confused: Anyway, here, a lot of people have tickets for driving using a cell phone... but then... the State needs money :D

[Law is cool]Law about animal abuse in France says that serious violences or violences of sexual nature against animals are forbidden.

Now, to answer to _Lost_ and the fact that this is rarely going to court (and I believe she is right), I would like to tell you about one decision concerning animal abuse I heard in France. That is the only one I ever read concerning animal abuse, in 8 years of law...
So, this is the story of the Poney "Junior". I think the people interested in horsefucking will like that.

A ... passionate ... owner of a little poney named Junior turned out to fall in love with his poney. After a few dates, he thought that they this was serious and had... sexual relations with Junior... contrary to the other guy who likes to fuck horses, he was on top.

Now the relevant question asked to court by a very clever attorney was to know if the fact to sodomize your poney could be considered as sexual violences because sexual violences are the only thing being punished by the Penal Code... and not just sexual relations...

The VERY open minded court of Appeal thought that there were no violences, brutalities and everything so the owner didn't committed the offence as described in the penal code.

The Supreme Court, however, finally decided that "Acts of sexual penetration commited by a person on an animal must be considered as sexual violences"

This is a very logical decision if you ask me considering that the animal never has his word to say... how can you interprate what a poney says to you ? If you can't have a consent, it is equivalent to not having one at all.

I am not sure who owns "Junior" now... let's hope that the current owner only rides him in a normal way...

[/law is cool]

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 10:52 AM
If the dog were starved and left tied to a chain in a collar that hadn't been loosened since puppyhood, that might be a prosecutable argument for abuse, but an untreated cough is not.

actually it is considered neglect and it violates the animal rights proclamation and in any decent country anyone who do that should face the consequences, the fact is that, IN EVERY SINGLE CASE, not given an animal the appropriate medical care isnt seen as cruel as some of the examples u just gave. but it is still considered an abuse. ok?

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Actually, here in Massachusetts, an animal cop only needs to suspect cruelty and they can get a warrent that day. The warrent has the power to take the animal, fine the person and/or arrest the person!

Blitz!
11-29-2009, 11:29 AM
From my experience, you are there to assist the SPCA and not the other way around and the same applies to the Animal Anti-Cruelty League. A while ago I found an injured bird and contacting both these organizations for help, both refused, telling me that the bird would die anyway and it did. I just can't help thinking that if they had tried to assist me some how, the bird might have survived. However, they have no problem asking for a contribution to help save the animals.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:31 AM
From my experience, you are there to assist the SPCA and not the other way around and the same applies to the Animal Anti-Cruelty League. A while ago I found an injured bird and contacting both these organizations for help, both refused, telling me that the bird would die anyway and it did. I just can't help thinking that if they had tried to assist me some how, the bird might have survived. However, they have no problem asking for a contribution to help save the animals.

Things are different in Johannesburg than they are in Massachusetts!

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Actually, here in Massachusetts, an animal cop only needs to suspect cruelty and they can get a warrent that day. The warrent has the power to take the animal, fine the person and/or arrest the person!

this is true

ive seen it happen with a puppy that was clearly sick, the agent ordered the owners to take her to the vet, the agent went back few days later and found the dog in the same unhealthy status and so the agent took the dog to the vet by herlself and the dog entered the adoption process. later on she died.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:37 AM
this is true

ive seen it happen with a puppy that was clearly sick, the agent ordered to owners to take her to the vet, the agent went back few days later and found the dog in the same unhealthy status and so the agent took the dog to the vet herlself and she follow the adoptiong process. later on she died.

I knew that was true. I watch educational televison(mostly all I watch except on Saturdays. I love Animal Planet and TLC)

Alison
11-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I guess it really depends on money and time.

About a year back I found a dog that had been hit by a car, and called the vet to ask could they look at it, but she refused. Fortunately there is an animal shelter pretty close, and they took the dog. But at the end of the day, many organisations will prioritise, and not get to every animal.
I found it strange that a vet would not come out to help a stray animal, when another time, I brought in a dog who had a collar on, and they took him in for a few days until an owner showed up.

It's unfortunate really. I find smaller organisations are often more caring.

The CSPA (cork society) is actually renowned for neglecting animals, and the ISPCA refuse to be associated with them. Sad state of affairs.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
When I see a stray dog I bring it home(I usually get grounded for that)!

Blitz!
11-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Things are different in Johannesburg than they are in Massachusetts!

This is stating the obvious.

I found it strange that a vet would not come out to help a stray animal

It is called money ... the drive of our economy. If you say to the vet you found a stray animal, I can assure you, his first thought would be: I am not going to get paid for this.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
This is stating the obvious.

It is called money ... the drive of our economy. If you say to the vet you found a stray animal, I can assure you, his first thought would be: I am not going to get paid for this.

The ASPCA(obviously not other countries) is a non-profit organization. With 24 hours of volunteer service!

Blitz!
11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The ASPCA(obviously not other countries) is a non-profit organization. With 24 hours of volunteer service!

Here, the SPCA is a non-profit organization and they work from 9 - 5

Alison
11-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Yes, I know, but they did not enquire whether I would pay the expense, and they were really very little help, they just suggested to leave the dog there and not worry about it.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Here, the SPCA is a non-profit organization and they work from 9 - 5

I think 24 hour is better!

Alison
11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I think 24 hour is better!

No shit blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blitz!
11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
they just suggested to leave the dog there and not worry about it.

How do you simply just walk away from a suffering animal, it is impossible. Even though some people consider animals to be a sub-species, I believe that in certain instance that they have more of right to live than humans.

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Well that was rude!

Alison
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
How do you simply just walk away from a suffering animal, it is impossible. Even though some people consider animals to be a sub-species, I believe that in certain instance that they have more of right to live than humans.

Exactly. I found it even more shocking to hear it coming from a vet...maybe it's not always the case, but these people are supposed to care about animals.
Luckily the dog was taken in to a sanctuary and found a new home some weeks later.

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
About a year back I found a dog that had been hit by a car, and called the vet to ask could they look at it, but she refused.

shame on her

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 12:04 PM

When I see a hurt animal I try to comfort it and if it is bad I usually cry!

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 12:09 PM
When I see a hurt animal I try to comfort it and if it is bad I usually cry!

taking it to the vet usually works for me :P

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
taking it to the vet usually works for me :P

I don't have a car!

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't have a car!

dont u have a nearby vet? i used to go to the vet when i was a kid and i didnt have a car either lol

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
dont u have a nearby vet? i used to go to the vet when i was a kid and i didnt have a car either lol

I am not allowed to go father than my street(or couple surrounding streets)

Rutegard
11-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I am not allowed to go father than my street(or couple surrounding streets)

well, that sucks big time

dexter12296566
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
well, that sucks big time

Yeah i get pretty bored considering i live in Nothingtown(literally, it sucks here)

m.offspring.r
11-29-2009, 12:46 PM
dexter53485739, stop the off-topic! Who cares if you have (or not) a car!

_Lost_
11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
... stuff about abuse
I know what neglect and abuse are. I think you fail to realize how much I know about this kind of stuff. I'm just saying what would be considered prosecutable.

You watch too much animal planet. Those shows are not true to the reality that is the ASPCA. I'm aware of what kind of laws they have, but that does not mean they are carried out to their fullest. Don't be so naive to think that reality television is a real example of what happens. The laws are basically the same across the country. Its just like people believing that social services will take a kid away the moment they hear a hint of neglect. Its only in extreme cases that they are able/going to act, like I said.

You mean its "24 hours". They have a person on staff all hours, this is true. That is pretty much standard across the country. However, those are usually volunteers. They just take care of the animals at night and if you call saying you've found one, you're likely to get a "I'll try to page someone, but you're not likely to see anyone till morning". The people who can get warrants and confiscate animals work 9-5 and they usually don't have enough people on staff to do much more than rescue animals in serious danger, especially nowadays... you know economy economy economy. Funding is going elsewhere beside the ASPCA.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Why just teenagers ? :confused: Anyway, here, a lot of people have tickets for driving using a cell phone... but then... the State needs money :D

[Law is cool]Law about animal abuse in France says that serious violences or violences of sexual nature against animals are forbidden.

Now, to answer to _Lost_ and the fact that this is rarely going to court (and I believe she is right), I would like to tell you about one decision concerning animal abuse I heard in France. That is the only one I ever read concerning animal abuse, in 8 years of law...
So, this is the story of the Poney "Junior". I think the people interested in horsefucking will like that.

A ... passionate ... owner of a little poney named Junior turned out to fall in love with his poney. After a few dates, he thought that they this was serious and had... sexual relations with Junior... contrary to the other guy who likes to fuck horses, he was on top.

Now the relevant question asked to court by a very clever attorney was to know if the fact to sodomize your poney could be considered as sexual violences because sexual violences are the only thing being punished by the Penal Code... and not just sexual relations...

The VERY open minded court of Appeal thought that there were no violences, brutalities and everything so the owner didn't committed the offence as described in the penal code.

The Supreme Court, however, finally decided that "Acts of sexual penetration commited by a person on an animal must be considered as sexual violences"

This is a very logical decision if you ask me considering that the animal never has his word to say... how can you interprate what a poney says to you ? If you can't have a consent, it is equivalent to not having one at all.

I am not sure who owns "Junior" now... let's hope that the current owner only rides him in a normal way...

[/law is cool]

i love you 2

dexter12296566
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
You watch too much animal planet. Those shows are not true to the reality that is the ASPCA. I'm aware of what kind of laws they have, but that does not mean they are carried out to their fullest. Don't be so naive to think that reality television is a real example of what happens. The laws are basically the same across the country. Its just like people believing that social services will take a kid away the moment they hear a hint of neglect. Its only in extreme cases that they are able/going to act, like I said.

Actually, it is true. They are all real cases caught on film! None of it is fake or acting!

Alison
11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Actually, it is true. They are all real cases caught on film! None of it is fake or acting!

Well they aren't gonna put up all those failed cases on tv are they? I've seen Animal Cops quite a lot, and it's almost always always the successful missions. It may reflect a small portion of cases, but the reality is that there is no way enough money, volunteers, cruelty investigators etc to go around and be as successful as those shows convey.
There used be an ISPCA show, and knowing what I know, the successful cases shown were only very rare.

T-6005
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
NO it's REAL!

I saw it on the TV WAAAAAAH

Cock Joke
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I've seen Animal Cops quite a lot,

HA! What's that, like, the show "Cops" but with animals!?

"You're under arrest for possession of cat nip!" LOL

dexter12296566
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM
HA! What's that, like, the show "Cops" but with animals!?

"You're under arrest for possession of cat nip!" LOL

Very funny... but I hope you were joking! If not, it is a show to fight against animal cruelty. The people are cops and they rescue neglected/abused etc... animals!

Cock Joke
11-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I was dead fucking serious, adn then you came along and killed my hopes and dreams! DX

_Lost_
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM

I realize that they are real cases, but don't think that that show is an accurate portrayal of what really happens. Those shows only exist to build up hype and funding for the SPCA. MOST of the time, cases aren't as successful as they make the ones on the show out to be. They only show the rescue of the animal, not what happens in the legal system later. Confiscating the animal is the easy part, when they can actually do it. My family has called the SPCA more than once about animal neglect, cruelty, and such. You can only get ahold of them during business hours and most of the time they don't have enough people to ever get around to it.

darea
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I'd be mad at anyone who kills a cat. Cause they tend to be able to take care of themselves in the wild more than dogs, and cause I love cats. We always used to kinda look after any of the wild or tame cats (of our neighbours) who came hanging out in our garden or just hanging around long enough to make have their kittens...
If a cat had tried to mess with mine, I'd have gone as far as shooing it away and pretending to throw something at it, not kill it.

As for dogs, I don't approve of killing them either unless they are really unhappy and in really bad pain. My sister's dog has a bad thing (like a kist or something) growing on one of her legs and the only cure is either take her leg off, or wait till it gets really bad and too painful and she'll have to put her down.. kinda sad, she's such a healthy, happy, sweet awesome dog:(

_Lost_
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Dogs are very adaptive and do just fine with only 3 legs.

Llamas
12-02-2009, 09:43 AM
My friends' dog got hit by a car, and her back leg got mutilated. Reconstruction of the leg was WAY too expensive, so they had it amputated. She had a couple weeks of recovery (cone around the head, lying down a lot), but now she's as active as ever and extremely happy. I don't think cats are more adaptive than dogs... and I think dogs do just fine in the wild, but that they're more apt to approach humans and find someone to take them in, while cats are skiddish and are more likely to remain stray instead of approaching people.

T-6005
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
There's no question that cats do better than pretty much anything else in the wild - they're nature's perfect little killers.

Think about it, which would you rather run into in the wild? An untamed, ferocious dog? Or a feral cat? The suckers that somehow have managed to breed close to the size of pumas in Australia, and are accused of decimating (though research on their role in extinction is inconclusive) bird and rabbit populations everywhere?

I know which I'd choose, and it'd definitely be the dog.

Alison
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I think cats do better in the wild. But I guess, it comes down to the individual animal...some house cats may be useless, while outdoors cats are a lot more adapted. Same goes for dogs.

Also, yeah, dogs do very well on three legs, there's no point in putting down a dog because of an injured leg. My friend has a greyhound who has three legs, two fron and one back, and he broke his toes on the remaining back leg, yet still runs about and can jump up on couches and everything. It just takes a bit of getting used to!

darea
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
If you're talking about my sister's dog, I think it was something like, if the leg doesnt get cut off soon, the thing is gonna get much worse and reach other parts of the dog's body. I don't know. I have seen dogs doing very well on 3 legs, I have a feeling that my sister wouldnt want her dogs leg off. Doesnt want anything done to her dog. But I don't know everything about this as I wasnt there when the vet was talking about it.

As for dogs or cats getting on better in the wild, I was thinking about it in France, don't know how it would be in other countries. Any lost dog anywhere near the swiss frontier wouldnt last long because I heard swiss people steal pet dogs cause they like eating them (its TRUE, or they just get their dogs in a less mean way, although its mean to eat dogs or any pet animal...).
And I guess any cat or dog that moves anywhere near a hunter, might just get itself killed. But still from what Ive seen, dogs seem to NEED to get picked up by somebody and it doesnt seem that easy for them to get by if that doesnt happen (unless the dog is cute, it would have to be a dog lover or someone who really feels sorry for it who'd have to pick it up). I agree cats can be mean and not want to be taken home, if they're wild, but I've adopted a lost cat once and it was the sweetest thing.
But as I already had my own cat, I eventually gave it away to a friend of mine who lived across the valley. And one night I got home from somewhere, and the cat was dying on my doorstep, just had time to look at me one last time and miaw and then it passed away. the cat had found its way all the way back to my house (cause it liked me so much I guess, as I'd taken it to a good home so shouldnt have been mistreated over there), and it had gotten knocked by a car or something but still managed to drag itself to my house. that was just sooo sweet and sad.

Dogs can find their way as well. But I guess Im thinking of the biggest tendency for cats to hunt birds and mice, compared to dogs who are usually fed.