PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol pill allows for inebriation without drinking

Thomas
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/03/alcohol-pill-scientist-pa_n_379095.html

I sure know I wouldn't mind having a few of these myself...

dff_punk
12-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I saw this coming, I just knew that day would come...

Rooster
12-04-2009, 02:50 AM
I saw this coming, I just knew that day would come...

The day that never comes... For me at least.

This comment said exactly what i was thinking:

Finally I can get a hangover without all the messy business of drinking and having fun with friends.

Where's the point of getting drunk without even drinking? It takes all the fun away. If i wanted to get wasted with a pill (which i don't) i could just take some of the countless illegal drugs...

dff_punk
12-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Of course it is not practical, I was just saying that I was pondering a long time when will the technology come to this point :)

Rooster
12-04-2009, 03:07 AM
I know. It's pointless, unless you're an alcoholic and just want desperately to get your dose of alcohol, no matter in what way.

Wait a minute... It COULD be useful, imagine a situation when you took a pill (or 2) and went driving. If a cop stopped you and asked if you were drinking you wouldn't have to lie. You didn't have any alcohol drink, you took a damn pill :p this was not meant to be taken seriously by the way

wheelchairman
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah I also don't understand why you would want to get drunk without drinking.

I guess there are a handfull of girls who would rather take the pill and drink coke light I guess.

_Lost_
12-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I can see it being popular among the preppy female "drink just to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible" crowd. I hate those girls. "More vodka, it needs more vodka" "I put two shots in there" "No, its not enough. I need more" "Would you like some Red Bull with your vodka?"

btw, I despise Red Bull, but that's what the chick was drinking. Bleggh!

Thomas
12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I dunno, I personally have more fun being drunk with friends than actually drinking with friends. I hate the taste of most drinks and if I want to get a bit intoxicated, I think it might be nice to not have to taste that nasty Captain Morgan again... yuck...

Also, apparently I have a vagina.

nieh
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
It could be good for people who just don't like the taste of alcohol but like the whole social lubrication aspect of it.

Thomas
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
It could be good for people who just don't like the taste of alcohol but like the whole social lubrication aspect of it.

Yeah, that's me in a nutshell.

_Lost_
12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
well that's what you get for drinking captain morgan's.

nieh
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey, I like Captain Morgan, so long as I'm not drinking it straight. Rum and Coke is one of the few drinks I've had that I actually liked as opposed to just tolerated.

Thomas
12-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I've yet to find a mixer that goes well with Captain Morgan. It all tastes like cough syrup.

Actually, as far as hard liquor goes, I prefer vodka over all the others, and that shit's still nasty unless you mix the bajeezus out of it with orange juice or something.

Al Coholic
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
The practical applications seem to be that you can be drunk for occasions where drinking is innapropriate. Like meetings and school. Also, you won't develop a beer-gut.

_Lost_
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I've yet to find a mixer that goes well with Captain Morgan. It all tastes like cough syrup.

Try the Parrot Bay rums. They are clear and flavored. Goes great with complimentary flavor like the mango with OJ or lime with green koolaid. Doesn't taste as much like alcohol.

Also, we've discovered raspberry vodka goes amazingly with lemon Jello brand jello. That shits like candy.

dexter12296566
12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
That seems a bit dumb! I just talked to my neighbour about this and he wants to know why you want the hangover if you don't even enjoy the beer?

nieh
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Because beer tastes like ass, and it's not like you're missing out on the part where you're drunk.

Thomas
12-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Because beer tastes like ass, and it's not like you're missing out on the part where you're drunk.

+1

Ass is the only way to describe the taste of beer. As you get more expensive beer, it starts to taste less like ass. Any way you lick it, though, it's still ass.

_Lost_
12-04-2009, 02:16 PM
There are a couple beers I like the taste of and I've become painfully tolerant of the taste of Bud Lite cause that's all my friend drinks.

Al Coholic
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
+1

Ass is the only way to describe the taste of beer. As you get more expensive beer, it starts to taste less like ass. Any way you lick it, though, it's still ass.

Fuck that. You've probably only drank domestic swill like bud light, and your experience with imports is probably limited to heineken and corona. You need to try different beers untill you find something you like. Eventually you'll learn that beer is god damn delicious.

nieh
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Fuck that. You've probably only drank domestic swill like bud light, and your experience with imports is probably limited to heineken and corona. You need to try different beers untill you find something you like. Eventually you'll learn that beer is god damn delicious.

I've tried like 8 different beers so far and haven't liked a single one of them. I think I've had Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Yuengling, Lindemans lambic beer, some sort of black & tan (don't remember the brand, I didn't buy it), and a couple others I don't recall.

Al Coholic
12-04-2009, 03:02 PM
8? 8?

You've had EIGHT? Not enough.

Try some lighter beers untill you develop a taste for it. One I've reccomended to people who haven't yet aquired the tasste for beer is Tsingtao. It's Japanese, not heavy, very crisp, and delicious. Never met anyone who didn't like it. Also remember to chill your beer properly, and pour it into a glass so the last sip is just as good as the first.

jacknife737
12-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Ya'll can enjoy your Appletinis and Cosmo's; beer is delicious.

Still, the concept of this pill is just stupid.

nieh
12-04-2009, 03:07 PM
8? 8?

Try some lighter beers untill you develop a taste for it. One I've reccomended to people who haven't yet aquired the tasste for beer is Tsingtao. It's Japanese, not heavy, very crisp, and delicious. Never met anyone who didn't like it. Also remember to chill your beer properly, and pour it into a glass so the last sip is just as good as the first.

Why would I want to keep spending money to try all the thousands of different styles of beer when so far 8 out of 8 types I've tried have sucked? I'm much happier with things like rum and coke or long island iced teas or mixing vodka with fruity stuff like Jones soda.

Al Coholic
12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Because beer is great and you need to realise that.

dexter12296566
12-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I have fun watching drunk people! That was a great night!

Rooster
12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Because beer is great and you need to realise that.

+1

There's nothing like a nice, cold beer on a hot summer day. Especially if you have to work outside, and then take a short break. An ice-cold beer... Mmmmm

T-6005
12-04-2009, 05:38 PM
8? 8?

Tsingtao is Chinese. But Asia has some surprisingly great beer. Sapporo and Kirin in Japan and Tiger Beer in Singapore are some standouts I quite like.

Man... I like Heineken. But I will actually second this. I hated beer for years and years, but now it's pretty much all I drink.

Al Coholic
12-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Fuck that's right, Kirin Ichiban's what I always get at sushi bars. Idk why I thought Tsingtao was japanese. But still, Tsingtao's great.

dexter12296566
12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
People say beer taste bad but I think it smells okay!

Ryder1234
12-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Well try tasting it, and hope it's not crap/strong tasting beer.

I can't stand beer, but seeing as all I've had is Moose Head, Molson, and Colt 45, I'm not surprised. Nothing like rum and coke though, love that stuff.

dexter12296566
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Well try tasting it, and hope it's not crap/strong tasting beer.

I can't stand beer, but seeing as all I've had is Moose Head, Molson, and Colt 45, I'm not surprised. Nothing like rum and coke though, love that stuff.

:eek:You and me are only fifteen years-old!:eek: I don't know the laws in Canada(well I know some of the stupid ones) but I am waaayyy too young to drink alcohol!

Ryder1234
12-04-2009, 06:43 PM
You don know that you can still drink it? Yeah it's illegal for us but it's not like you'll lift the drink up to your mouth, and there will be an invisible barrier or something preventing you from drinking. We're under the age, but it's pretty much a personal choice if you want to drink or not. Good for you for not wanting too. But if you get a chance, just try like a sip or something, like if one of your parents has a beer, it won't get you drunk or anything, and you'll at least get an idea for the taste and what to expect when you do drink.

_Lost_
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Look how cool Kev is ya'll.

T-6005
12-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Personally I like smooth and light-headed lagers, really easy to drink and not very strong on the taste.

Homer
12-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Finally, now people can be even more fucking stupid all the while rendering bartenders useless.

Rooster
12-05-2009, 03:32 AM
You don know that you can still drink it? Yeah it's illegal for us but it's not like you'll lift the drink up to your mouth, and there will be an invisible barrier or something preventing you from drinking. We're under the age, but it's pretty much a personal choice if you want to drink or not. Good for you for not wanting too. But if you get a chance, just try like a sip or something, like if one of your parents has a beer, it won't get you drunk or anything, and you'll at least get an idea for the taste and what to expect when you do drink.

I think i had my first beer when i was around 10. I wanted to try it out of curiosity, and my grandpa gave me one (lawl, bad gran'pa, role models n' stuff). I kind of liked it, but i drank only a few sips. Or it could be when i was even younger (most likely i WAS younger), i can't tell for sure. When i was 14 i got drunk (really drunk) for the first time.

Aaaah, the good memories.

wheelchairman
12-05-2009, 06:52 AM
I too was one of those who didn't like beer until years after I started drinking, and I too bless the day I taught myself to like it.

If you're worried about money, its always cheaper to go with beer. As far as taste and availability, well shit it's always good and its always available. Enjoying beer is the fucking nice life.

Also Tiger beer is fantastic, but its really the heineken of Asia. Also Heineken is a good beer, I don't know why people always knock it. Especially Americans. Maybe they use local water and the local water can suck in some places.

WebDudette
12-05-2009, 07:04 AM
I've had a few good beers, Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock being one of them, but its like 15 dollars a bottle and only sold during Christmas season. By good, I mean it is much better then most beers I have had, it still isn't something I would drink for taste. I'll stick with hard liquor for now.

Oh yeah, somas basically give you a drunk feeling, assuming utake enough of them.

Llamas
12-05-2009, 07:05 AM
I absolutely hated beer until I moved to Europe the first time. I grew to tolerate and even kind of like some European beers, because liquor is so god damn expensive here (and beer and wine are dirt cheap). Then I went back to the US and remembered how nasty that shit is. So for my two years in the US, if I drank beer, it was either Harp or an Austrian/Bavarian/Belgian white beer. Now I'm back again and Czech beer is probably even better than any beer I've ever had. Yet... I don't drink it that often. I prefer wine or cocktails. I hate beer as like, a drink with a meal (it ruins the taste of the food) and I really hate it as "refreshment" when it's hot outside. It just makes me feel gross. I also can't get drunk off it because it's the only thing that makes me puke - I can drink a bottle of wine and be fine, but 2 beers and my stomach is inside out. So, beer for me is what I drink when I'm just going to the pub for A beer. One.

In conclusion, after years of trials, beer is okay, but not really all that great.

dexter12296566
12-05-2009, 07:11 AM

Maybe we can still do it but I always try to follow the rules and do what authority(parents, teachers, etc...) tells me to!

EDIT: Also until I was eleven, I wasn't even allowed to drink soda. I am still not allowed to very often and I have to ask if I am going to drink it! I drank some Coca-Cola today, though!

Cock Joke
12-06-2009, 12:19 PM
That's so stupid! You want the nice taste of beer, wine, etc. in your mouth! Fuck pills for that shit!

ninthz
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I can see the pill being useful when attending family events.

re: BEER. Didn't like it when I was younger, enjoy it now. The fall seasonal Woodchuck is phenomenal: tastes like a pumpkin fucking an apple in your mouth. Blue Moon is always good. Boulevard Wheat? Awesome. Red Stripe? Yes please. Not a huge fan of Miller products, but the shit-king of beers (aka: Miller High Life) goes great with cheap wings on Wednesdays. Keystone Light is pretty common at keggers, so be prepared to get over yourself a chug a few with the bros.

Oh, and if you're going to drink rum go for Sailor Jerry. Best rum.
http://www.corollabeach.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sailorjerryspicedrumwithhulagirl_005.jpg

Alison
12-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Maybe we can still do it but I always try to follow the rules and do what authority(parents, teachers, etc...) tells me to!

EDIT: Also until I was eleven, I wasn't even allowed to drink soda. I am still not allowed to very often and I have to ask if I am going to drink it! I drank some Coca-Cola today, though!

People are supposed to not want to follow rules. At least when it coes to drink and drugs and stuff like that.
A friend of mine wasn't allowed wear black til she was 15, and she always had to be in bed by 9. And what happened her? She know wants to be a nun! That's wat will happen you

Harleyquiiinn
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
People are supposed to not want to follow rules. At least when it coes to drink and drugs and stuff like that.
A friend of mine wasn't allowed wear black til she was 15, and she always had to be in bed by 9. And what happened her? She know wants to be a nun! That's wat will happen you

Well... now, she's going to be allowed to wear black for the rest of her life... :D

nieh
12-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Not a huge fan of Miller products, but the shit-king of beers (aka: Miller High Life) goes great with cheap wings on Wednesdays.

That's the only brand of beer I was able to drink more than one of, and that's because it tasted close enough to water than it was hard to really complain.

_Lost_
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, like roofies, only cheaper.

Vera
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
This is oooooold news. Featured in the best speculative sci-fi film ever. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lover_Come_Back)