PDA

View Full Version : People who ask for a verification if you've read their private message are douches.

Mota Boy
01-25-2005, 11:36 PM
There is indisputable proof that asking for a "receipt" upon sending a private message means that you're a douche. Celebrities from as disparate circles as Ronald Reagan (on April 2001, nearly three years before his death) and Snoop Dogg have come out against this incredibly douchey practice. It suggests a certain insecurity, a desperate need to be informed that, yes, your message was received, as if attempting to force to recepient to reply. It's really, really, for lack of a better word, fucking gay. Don't do this shit, people. Now sign my fuckin' unofficial petition.

Mota Boy
01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
For anyone confused, this is the "real" post. There was meant to be a third option, but I found out too late that I couldn't amend any part of this bastard... (if there is ever a post for moderator, vote me. I'll be fair enough for you to agree with me, but just unfair enough to keep things amusing). Anyway, there was meant to be a "default" option. In any case, if you don't agree with the two points stated, them state it, 'cause I would've had a place for it if this bbs code hadn't been so damn inflexible... just post something stating your specific belief and why you believe it.

Not Ozymandias
01-26-2005, 12:15 AM
It can't be that some people just hit Enter because they don't care either way, right?

Mota Boy
01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh, of course I've hit enter a couple times by accident... but at least you get the underlying message - that this type of shit shouldn't be condoned in normal society - right?

By the way - I meant to have a third and probably a fourth option, but this system of creating electoral roles is utterly atrocious.

Not Ozymandias
01-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Not so much. The fact that you have to choose 'No' is worse.

ThatOneGuy123
01-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Im a badass but im no apprentice....

HornyPope
01-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Case in point: I once read DirtyMagical PMs and she had this fag from whom she had like 30 pms, and he asked that she certified that she read them because he was accusing her of ignoring him. What a fucking loser. Quite obviously, I refused to give him the certification. I rule.

arak0r
01-26-2005, 02:17 AM
i generally just hit enter, i really have no idea what the fuck that shit does

Vicky
01-26-2005, 02:20 AM
I leave them on.. just because I click yes on the box without realising.. have yet to work out how to see if its confirmed or not, but I couldn't really care less about whether the person read it and just didn't reply

wheelchairman
01-26-2005, 02:23 AM
I hate having the confirmation thing pop up. Hate it.

RXP
01-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Disable JS for that page fuckers.

Tijs
01-26-2005, 04:40 AM
I'd say disabling private messaging is even better. Therefore, I'm better than Mota Boy in this case.

TheHulaChick
01-26-2005, 05:23 AM
I find the read receipt feature quite pointless. Cause it often doesn't work properly, and most people don't bother to confirm anyway. The only use it could have would be to ensure that your message did actually get received. I reckon a couple of my pms were never actually sent and I didn't click read receipt so I dunno what happened, unless those people just didn't wanna reply to my pms *runs away and cries*

Tizzalicious
01-26-2005, 09:39 AM
I leave them on.. just because I click yes on the box without realising.. have yet to work out how to see if its confirmed or not, but I couldn't really care less about whether the person read it and just didn't reply

Yupz, same here, I just hit ok without looking really
:o

Vera
01-26-2005, 11:23 AM
You people actually send PMs?

I thought that was only for emergencies and when one is drunk.

the_GoDdEsS
01-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I hate having the confirmation thing pop up. Hate it.

I can only agree with that.
Plus, I really did not care what it was for so I hit 'no' randomly most of the time.

HornyPope
01-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't get PMS. Oh noes, there is something wrong with my menstrual cycle!

Someone write me a PM. I'm so ronry. So vedy ronry.

Betty
01-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Who DOESN'T read their PMs is the question. Unless it's from some random newbie guy saying "asl" but I might even read those anyway.

Ack... but yeah... the popup comes too quick and yes is the default answer. Although I've been making a conscious effort to click no most of the time.

SkunkIt
01-26-2005, 04:53 PM
I thought that I had to hit yes for the PM to be sent.

sKratch
01-26-2005, 05:54 PM
I suppose the "cance" can throw you off...

Mota Boy
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
You people actually send PMs?

I thought that was only for emergencies and when one is drunk.
Oh, they are. I was drunk when I made this thread.

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it's the default option, and most people hit Enter without caring either way. Making a conscious effort to do otherwise is a helluva lot worse than actually caring in the first place.