PDA

View Full Version : Riddle Me This

IamSam
12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
In the Christian faith there are two schools of thought:

That the rapture will happen before the apocalypse and all of God's little children will be taken up into the clouds.

That the rapture will happen post apocalypse making God a big meanie and forcing his precious children to live through horrible persecution.

The church that I have attended all my life (now attended by me to humor those that think I still live my life by the church) believes in Option 1. The problem though is that many are scared that they are living in the end of days and are scared of what that means. They are scared of the world moving away from their Christian beliefs and closer to being the Godless place it is supposed to be when they get sucked up to the big vacuum in the sky.

My question is this: Why be scared? If you know that as the world winds down to an end that it will be an evil Godless place why be scared? You know it is going to happen, yet God is supposed to save you.

I have my own thoughts and opinions as to why, but I want to see what everyone else thinks.

RageAndLov
12-06-2009, 05:10 PM
They are afraid of losing their god. With no God to watch over them and protect them, they feel like anything could kill them and their family. No higher being to go to for comfort.
Old people who are about to die, will maybe have something to go to when they die, not just a vacuum of nothing.

DMelges
12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
The world already is turning into a 'godless' place. I really don't know why man makes such a big deal out of religion...
I mean, tell me. If somehow we prove that there is no god, will you live your life any differently ?

And to answer your question... why are we scared that the world will become evil and will come to an end even though we know this will happen? Simple. Because we expect it to happen, but we don't want to be alive when it happens. We want to watch it happen from the clouds and not from the ground.

disclaimer_07
12-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I think everyone will suffer persecution before the apocalypse comes, those who survive and resist all temptations will eventually be saved. After all this happens, there will be the New Heavens and the New Earth, free from evil and any kind of suffering. My point is, the concept of being "sucked up" to Heaven before the end of days seems rather unbiblical.

Al Coholic
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Good title man. You could totally do a series of riddle me thises like I do my Thought threads(which I stole from Mota Boy's though of the day). Or to be original you couldn't, but now that I've called you on trying to be original, the only original thing to do is author your own series. That'll show me.

Btw you notice how I underlined them? MLA format indicates that I should just place them under hypothesis but I think they're more important. Martin Larry Anderson can suck my balls.

Now if we could just recruit Wheelchairman and T-6005 we'd have thing. Jesus too.

SweetTatyana
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe people worry that they will not be deemed worry to be saved by God. After all, everybody has sins.

Lizardus
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I choose C) Galactus.

Superdope
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Good title man. You could totally do a series of riddle me thises like I do my Thought threads(which I stole from Mota Boy's though of the day). Or to be original you couldn't, but now that I've called you on trying to be original, the only original thing to do is author your own series. That'll show me.

Btw you notice how I underlined them? MLA format indicates that I should just place them under hypothesis but I think they're more important. Martin Larry Anderson can suck my balls.

Now if we could just recruit Wheelchairman and T-6005 we'd have thing. Jesus too.

Hey yeah, Jesus' could be called: "Something crossed my mind"...

Get it?

Maybe people worry that they will not be deemed worthy to be saved by God. After all, everybody has sins.

This is what I think ^

dexter12296566
12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I do have to say, this didn't make sense because I believe(and so do numerous scientists) that the apocalypse is ending of the world. The apocalypse will be after the human race is wiped out(the 2012 stuff is a load of shit, I think) but other animals will still be alive!

EDIT: What does Christianity have to do with the apocalypse? I didn't quite catch that part!

DMelges
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I do have to say, this didn't make sense because I believe(and so do numerous scientists) that the apocalypse is ending of the world. The apocalypse will be after the human race is wiped out(the 2012 stuff is a load of shit, I think) but other animals will still be alive!

EDIT: What does Christianity have to do with the apocalypse? I didn't quite catch that part!

Actually, most people misinterpret these kinds of things. Everything the bible says about the apocalypse, everything the Mayans said about 2012, and etc etc... all that isn't actually about planet earth exploding. It's about mankind dying and eventually dissapearing. So i.e, 2012 will not be the end of the world (planet), it will be the end of mankind. Maybe even all life itself...

dexter12296566
12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually, most people misinterpret these kinds of things. Everything the bible says about the apocalypse, everything the Mayans said about 2012, and etc etc... all that isn't actually about planet earth exploding. It's about mankind dying and eventually dissapearing. So i.e, 2012 will not be the end of the world (planet), it will be the end of mankind. Maybe even all life itself...

Well I wouldn't know. I was never allowed to go to church and I am not going to sit and read the bible!

Al Coholic
12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/_/Y/2/palin-mayans.jpg

dexter12296566
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/_/Y/2/palin-mayans.jpg

That is so not true. I believe it is impossible to know when the world will end. It will be spontaneous. It could end while I am sleeping tonight or years and years after I die! No one knows. Do you honestly believe that?!

0r4ng3
12-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Did anyone hear a loud *whoosh* sound?

Jebus
12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing the reasons for being scared of rapture isn't that different from being scared of death. You know you'll go to heaven when you die, but you still probably want to postpone as much as possible. Plus you'll get brownie points from god for showing how devoted you are.

This thread reminds of this little passage from Good Omens.

"When the Rapture comes, brothers and sisters, all the True Believers will be swept up in the air - it don't mind what you're doin' you could be in the bath, you could be at work, you could be drivin' your car, or just sittin' at home readin' your Bible. Suddenly you'll be up there in teh air, in perfect and incorruptible bodies. And you'll be up in the air, lookin' down at the world as the years of destruction arrive. Only the faithful will be saved, only those of you who have been born again will avoid the pain and the death and the horror and the burnin'. Then will come the gret war between Heaven and Hell, and Heaven will destroy the forces of Hell, and God shall wipe away the tears of the sufferin' and there shall be no more death, or sorrow, or cryin' or pain, and he shall rayon in glory for ever and ever"
He stopped, suddenly.
"Well, nice try" he said, in a completely different voice [an angel is possessing him], "only it won't be like that at all. Not really.
"I mean, you're right about the fire and war, all that. but that Rapture stuff - well, if you could see them all in Heaven - serried ranks of them as far as the mind can follow and beyond, league after league of us, flaming swords, all that, well, what I'm trying to say is who has time to go round picking people out and popping them up in the air to sneer at the people dying of radiation sickness on the parched and burning earth below them? If that's your idea of a morally acceptable time, I might add."

PS: i love lizardus so much. I don' think I say it often enough.

jacknife737
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Movie trailer is very relevant to this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VpneVzY_U

I like it because it mixes my love of violence, with my love of Christ.

T-6005
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Movie trailer is very relevant to this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_VpneVzY_U

I like it because it mixes my love of violence, with my love of Christ.

That movie was totally shot in Toronto.

IamSam
12-08-2009, 07:32 AM
This is how I view it:

For Christians that are still worried about the end of times even though their beliefs state that they will be long gone when the real pandemonium breaks out, I see it as a lack of faith in their faith and beliefs. There are many Christians who would like to "stop the general moral decline" of the world and try to but us on "the straight and narrow." I ask this question: If you categorically know what is going to happen because of your faith, why not speed up the end of times process?

RageAndLov
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I was never allowed to go to church

What did you do to make you banished from church?

Lizardus
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
This is how I view it:

I believe they are worried because they have something to hide.
If they are not gone by the time the rapture ends, they got some splainin' to do.

Jebus
12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
why not speed up the end of times process
How would they go about doing that without being "sinful" or voting for "sinful" laws and politicians? If they were to speed it up purposefully, they would go to hell.