PDA

View Full Version : A question directed to my fellow old timers

SicN Twisted
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Do any of you still actually listen to the offspring, or are you just here because you have a niche here.

I for one only listen to them when they come on the radio, and sometimes change the channel if anything from that dreadful new album comes out. What about you? Have any of you outgrown simplistic sophmoric pop-punk, or do you still hold cali boys true to your hearts?

Tizzalicious
10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I listen to them...not all the time, but I do sometimes :)

Hysteria
10-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I used to listen to them loads, now its just a few times a week. I was coming back to this board as I was familiar with most people from the last one, but I don't really post much on boards anymore (although I posted about 170 times in the first couple of days of this being online). I won't be on here much.

wliethof
10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I still listen to em. I like the new ablum, too. Put it in my walkman every once in a while

Izie
10-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Sure, I still like them, I listen to them, it's all fun...

It's usualy for laughs and remembering all kinds of stuff that was connected to them. There was a period of my life which was quite effected by music I listened to, and The Offspring was one of my favourite bands back then...

Vera
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
I pretty much second what Izie said. Me and my friends usually turn on "Ixnay" or something when we want to remember the things we did at 12-13, the people we were back then. Each of us have a certain death that "Gone Away" tells us about and we still think "Every and a Day" and "Pay The Man" are good songs.

It's a very nostalgic thing to us, in more than one way. The Offspring has been the only band I've been a FANFAN of. I mean, I like a dozen others bands as much and even more, but I didn't hang out on their website or discuss their music extensively or read all the interviews...

As those who've seen pictures of my room know, the walls still have Offspring posters (and some movie posters and one FFX poster, but Offspring posters are the only ones I have of any band).

It's very much a thing from the past, but it's something I look back at and go "Aww, it was nice and I was such a cute fan!". The memory I treasure, sort of.

I last listened to the Offspring when I listened to Splinter, partly inspired by the return of this BBS. Weird enough.

the_GoDdEsS
10-26-2004, 01:00 PM
I admit I have not heard the new album.

I can't say no to Ignition and Ixnay. I used to like them too much. I listen to those two like twice a year. Not much. And basically what Iza said.

Nina
10-26-2004, 01:12 PM
I still listen to them, but i seem to count songs to my
favorites which were not liked before...that just
reflects how my taste in music has changed i guess.
i havent listened to Splinter much, as it is my least
favorite album. And, as Izie has said, i connect
a lot of my past with their albums. It's usually rather
upsetting to listen to them, though.

Izie
10-26-2004, 01:16 PM
And I again agree with both the girls :)

The thing is, like any silly teen, I've been QUITE into the Offspring, and usually the music just reminds me of such nice things (too personal, not disclosed). I like it, it's a form of nostalgia.

I think I don't listen to them that much because I've grown up and changed, and their ideas just dont appeal to me THAT much anymore.

On the other hand, the chances of me forgeting them or something like that are slim to none, given the way they've indirectly affected my life...

This board just... It's just strange. It makes you be a strange person and do strange things.

Yes, I just feel like posting.

Obie2trice
10-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Offspring is for me the number one band since pretty Fly, so for like the past 6 years I listen to their music,sometimes every day, sometimes once a month. This board is cool cause you can argue about offspring and tons of other things. I don`t understand why a non-fan should be a member of this board.

Nina
10-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I don`t understand why a non-fan should be a member of this board.

friendships.
memories.
boredom. [VERY bad reason, i know]

wheelchairman
10-26-2004, 01:30 PM
well I listen to them about once or twice a month. I don't really have much emotional attachment to them though. I get attached to songs generally through certain lyrics or the like.

Tired_Of_You
10-26-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't listen to them everyday but at least once a week. It's been my favorite band since I'm ten years old so it's since Americana. It's the only band that I'm on their bbs ( Foo Fighters too but I have like 5 posts). I'm now kinda addicted to this bbs =s I think it's been like 3 years I come here.

Mota Boy
10-26-2004, 01:42 PM
I lost my CDs a couple years ago and only got around to rebuying Ixnay and Ignition, but only listen to 'em once every few months. It's odd, I feel my relation with the music is like a relation with an ex. Whenever I run into it, it brings back various memories but also makes me feel a bit uncomfortable - the powerful emotions once associated with the songs now seem juvenile.

I return to the board because I have far too much free time and I find many of the people on here terribly interesting.

And as for the "have you outgrown sophomoric pop-punk", I actually consider "Good Charlotte" to be one of my favorite bands. Along with their simple, ear-friendly melodies, they're the fucking funniest band out there. No matter how many times I catch their videos on MTV I never fail to crack up.

Zee
10-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, I still enjoy them (almost) as much as I used to do, and they're definitely my favourite band, no matter what. I might listen to many other bands, but when I come back to The Offspring I realize how damn good they are. It just seems I can't get enough of them. Luckily there's tons of stuff to listen to actually (albums, bootlegs, whatever)...

I sure wouldn't be able to become such a huge fan of a friggin' band nowadays, as I did in that critical age. So Offspring is the only band I was / am a real hardcore fan too. It's just that I haven't grow anywhere of it. Why should I. Still dig 'em, always will I think.

What could be better than mosh at The Offspring's gig...

nightvision
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Yeah I still like them and I listen to them just as often as all the other bands I listen to. I'm not really a crazy collector nowadays but I still wouldn't sell my rare LP's and stuff.

SicN Twisted
10-26-2004, 02:11 PM
I don`t understand why a non-fan should be a member of this board.

I used to be a fan. Not only that, but I used to consider them the profit's and comming of contemporary music. I used to think music couldn't possibly get any better. I since grew out of that sentiment (as anyone should, they're simply not that great). I still kinda like them, but I have alot of respect for the effect they've had on me, especially because they were responsible for my getting into to several other bands that influenced them, who are much better. I'm only on this board now cause I have nothing better to do, and that freakin BITCH that I love with brought me to the attention that it's back up :).

Nepthys
10-26-2004, 02:12 PM
I hardly listen to them anymore except for Splinter, although they're still one of my fave bands. It's just that I discovered so many other good bands to listen to after the Offspring

As for the board, I come here because it's a cool place where everyone can talk about any random subject without getting banned. And apart from that I still like to hear all the news and other stuff about the band.

JonnyB
10-26-2004, 02:18 PM
How come you don't hear about them much in the public anymore and every year or so they bring a song out which EVERYONE likes then fade away again to pop out again like the creatures of darkness they are . Its weird and cool . My dad asked me ALONG time ago . What bands from todays age will last more than 2 or 3 years . Well I got something to say to him . How about The Offspring . They lasted for 14 year so far and they aren't some gay , hippy , wig wearing Elton John guy .

SicN Twisted
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Green Day's new album did alot better.

Endymion
10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
i haven't listened to any offspring whatsoever in a very long time.

Jebus
10-26-2004, 02:47 PM
I dont' listen to them as much as I used to. I've gone weeks with out listening to them sometimes. I think I kind of outgrowned them but I still consider them my favorite band for some reaon. I'm still posting on this board because I got addicted last year and I have to much free time. I doubt I'll post more a few times each day now but I'll probably still post my usual amount in the weekends. The only reason I have alot of posts right now is because I kind of got excited about the board opening up again the first few days.

Little_Miss_1565
10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
I went through a pronounced 'OMG I am so done with pop-punk, <band/artist name> is so much better and more worth my time' phase.

Then I sat down and watched "Bowling for Columbine" in my dorm room late one night. I recognized the drum line and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh I heard in the background of a few scenes, but I couldn't quite place it. And then I remembered it clearly--"Americana."

After the DVD was over, I sat down and listened to Ignition, Americana, Ixnay, all of 'em...and I remembered exactly why I loved the Offspring to begin with, and why I'm always going to love them.

And oh god do I love pop-punk. Probably why I loved living in Boston so much...that whole scene, it's like pop-punk is in the water and everything grows out of it.

nieh
10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
The only time I really listen to Offspring anymore is when I'm riding in my friend's car. He has a much more limited cd supply than I do, so them and the Vandals are the most entertaining things he owns. I've moved on to bigger and better music for the most part though.

Chris
10-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Only listen to them now when they randomly play on winamp but thats not often - perhaps if im in nostalgic mood i'd dig out an album of theirs but too busy listening to cds I keep purchasing these days. Still worth it when I do listen to them though.

Trever
10-26-2004, 03:20 PM
well, i just joined back up so i guess this is as good a place to start as any. I dont think im gonna be posting much anymore though, dont have a lot of time.

to answer the question, i still listen to the offspring a lot, but i have like 80 cd's and i buy new ones a lot, so i dont listen to them every day or anything. sometimes i go a few weeks or more without really listening to them, but its the same way with most of the bands that i listen to unless i just got a new cd from them, because i have so many cd's and im usually listening to my new stuff the most. I still consider offspring my favorite band though, even though sometimes i think about it and wonder if maybe they're starting to fade a little from that spot. they used to be my absolute top favorite band by such a huge margin that no other bands came close, but i dont think i like them that much more than my other bands anymore.

Tijs
10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
I listen to them very often, they're still my very favourite band. But the main reason I joined this board was because I missed the sense of (lack of) humor most people have on here. This board is just way better than any other board, no matter what it looks like.

Just_One
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
well....i still listen to them although the last 2 albums were disapointing

why do i still come here?

friends and memories....some ppl might see this as overrated but some ppl here literally saved my life....they know who they are so im not saying names

HornyPope
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
It's a fun board for old times sake even though i've grown to hate most of you for one reason or another. I have a sense of belonging somewhere. Go figure.

The Offspring are peripheral. But i'll enjoy the music if someone else plays it -- I wouldn't bother myself.

sKratch
10-26-2004, 07:09 PM
everything up to CO1 is on my playlist along with over 2000 other songs so whenever they come on they come on....

LifeSuXA.k.A JaY
10-26-2004, 07:25 PM
dude i basically agrre with everyone i like em i havent really heard them a bunch just maybe there most popular songs that you here on the radio . right know with all the shit in my life i listen to slipknot koRn still has a big spot in my heart i like offspring when its like time to party or im with my friends or sum songs can be when im by my self or hell just any time but manly with my dad gone ,my mom bein who she is, and me and my self never dying inner depression im listenen to slipknot or the murderdolls or sumthin like that P.S.that big picture how can i get 1 4 my self byye g2gwrite back!!

Tired_Of_You
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
wow, what a lack of periods in your post. Really long sentences.

sKratch
10-26-2004, 07:49 PM
After the DVD was over, I sat down and listened to Ignition, Americana, Ixnay, all of 'em...and I remembered exactly why I loved the Offspring to begin with, and why I'm always going to love them.

You sound like my girlfriend after she realizes she did something dumb.

Linda
10-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I listen to them......at least once a week.

Jake
10-26-2004, 09:29 PM
My Fanisism for the Offspring is just as high as ever

^^now try and make sense of that

Julie
10-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I always got my CDs with me and I'll pop 'em in the CD player at least once a day and I'll always listen to a couple tunes on the road, especially "Bad Habit" when I'm stuck in traffic, hehe

Julie
10-26-2004, 09:31 PM
My Fanisism for the Offspring is just as high as ever

^^now try and make sense of that
Fanisism isn't a word... I'm guessing you are the one that is high right now :D

Julie
10-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Ya probably ment "fanaticism"

SicN Twisted
10-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi Julie. Assuming you're the same Julie that I used to talk to.

Julie
10-26-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't know, I use to be banana_fish on the old bbs... We mighta talked then :confused: , I prefer to use my real name, no more nicks,we mighta talked on msn maybe...

Jake
10-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Fanisism isn't a word... I'm guessing you are the one that is high right now :D
no drugs are gay, but im high on offspring!

wow that was lame

SicN Twisted
10-26-2004, 09:40 PM
The Julie I know wen't by Julie. Although there's always room for more Julies.

Woodles42
10-26-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm not even going to mention what I've been listening to lately. I might get stuff thrown at me.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
10-27-2004, 02:31 AM
Its been a few years since ive really listened to them. But still like them, since they bring back sweet memories, and they were the first rock band i ever liked.

MikeRamone
10-27-2004, 04:00 AM
What the hell are you guys saying ?? "I dont listen to them very often nowadys....."

NOT A DAY HAS GONE BY SINCE I first heard "the kids arent alright" without listeing to the GODS.....I listen to them every single day....
That will NEVER CHANGE...

(Ok..I´m not mad at you guys...everyone decides for themselves what music to listen to and be fans of....I just know that I´m never gonna find a better band for my taste=)

MR

RXP
10-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Hmm I'm still heavily into the Offspring.

Although I tend not to listen to them all the time now days although when I'm down or angry or whatever I put on a bootleg and sing along real loud. I've over listened to them I fear though. Gonna go cold turkey and not listen to them for a couple months.

Spent like £120 to see them at Leeds and didn't sleep for 3 nights in a row so I'd still say I love 'em. I really can't get into any other band like I am with the Offspring. I like some songs but not all of them like with Offspring.

And to call them immature is myopic IMHO. Songs of S/T and Ignition mean more to me now then they did 5 years ago.

Vera
10-27-2004, 09:29 AM
I went through a pronounced 'OMG I am so done with pop-punk, <band/artist name> is so much better and more worth my time' phase.

---

And oh god do I love pop-punk. Probably why I loved living in Boston so much...that whole scene, it's like pop-punk is in the water and everything grows out of it.
You're so cute! Mwah.

I had that phase too, for a really short period. It was basically me thinking I was the shit because I was listening to all these cool indie bands. Oh man. x_x

Pop-punk is always going to a part of me and my music taste. I'll always take the piss when I hear someone giving their "What I think punk is!"-speech and when someone's bitching about a band selling out.. It's just this whole ironical way to look at "hardcore punks" and that whole culture from this laid back, sort of Californian pop-punk scene. Scene I never was a part of, but I scene I knew about and wished to be a part of. I like The Clash, but I also like punk songs about girls. They're very cute.

Offspring's a big part of that whole thing. I've just grown out of them enough to admit they have crap songs, okay songs and very good songs, as well. And I'm not all "oMg every song roxxx!11" anymore.

Fozzy
10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I still love the offspring. I dont listen to them as much as I used to tho, but that means nothing =p I saw them in March and I intend to see them again whenever they come back to the UK. My taste in music has changed quite a bit over the past few years (now more into "heavier" stuff with epic geetar solo's n stuff) but Offspring are still one of my favourite bands. :)

...I apologise if any of my replies make little/no sense.. I only had 3 hours sleep last night :(

smash2004
10-27-2004, 10:38 AM
I have listened to them since i first heard about them in 1993 and i was only 10 at the time. The best albums to me is everything from Ixnay down to Offspring. But i do still hold them to my hearts!

the_GoDdEsS
10-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, okay. I was a bit bitter in the first reply. I loved them when I was 18,19 and stuff. And it's nice to go back to it sometimes and remember all the good stuff. =)

Little_Miss_1565
10-27-2004, 12:30 PM
You sound like my girlfriend after she realizes she did something dumb.

?

Um, yeah, my whole post was about how it was dumb of me to say I was too good for something that impacted my personal development.

But just judging from your attitude in that statement, it's obvious that your girlfriend hasn't realized the dumbest thing she's ever done.

Andy
10-27-2004, 12:35 PM
judging from your attitude in that statement, it's obvious that your girlfriend hasn't realized the dumbest thing she's ever done.

touché! A quip Oscar Wilde himself would be proud of!

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Ooh, cat fight. Yum.

Subsidal
10-27-2004, 01:25 PM
In my opinion The Offspring are still making the best music ever & so I come here in hope to meet other Offspring Fans, but I realize it's harder than to find Marilyn Mansons real face :eek:

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
In one of the British tabloids a few weeks ago, there was a picture of Marilyn Manson's real face. I'll try and find it.

Subsidal
10-27-2004, 01:27 PM
...I got it...

Snoopy
10-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I used to be such a big Offspring fan, I used to listen to their music for hours per day, every day! They were my favorite band of all times. But as i grew up, my musical interests expanded and I'm into doznes of other bands now, and many of them, comparing to the Offspring, are way better musicians. But Offspring is still, and always will be close to my heart, because they were the first band i was really crazy about, they got me into music in general, and this forum, i joined it now again because back in the old times, i've met so many nice people here, and some of them are very very dear to me, and i remember the old times when i came home and got online and the first website i opened was this bbs, and i spilled my entire soul into some of my topics and posts, i posted about my life, my problems and stuff. back than, this board was important to me, it meant something. also, Offspring BBS was the first forum I ever joined, and afterwards i joined many other forums and became a forum-freak. O.o
Anyway. I still listen to Offspring sometimes, not that often, only when I'm in the mood, but even then, i listen mostly to the old stuff, to self-titled album which is the best imho... So, I think i've registered here again because of the nice memories, that would be my answer. :]

wheelchairman
10-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Please learn to use paragraphs.

Eccentric Sara
10-27-2004, 01:47 PM
I used to be such a big Offspring fan, I used to listen to their music for hours per day, every day! They were my favorite band of all times. But as i grew up, my musical interests expanded and I'm into doznes of other bands now, and many of them, comparing to the Offspring, are way better musicians. But Offspring is still, and always will be close to my heart, because they were the first band i was really crazy about, they got me into music in general, and this forum, i joined it now again because back in the old times, i've met so many nice people here, Yeah,that pretty sums up my answer to this post!I still like them,but have moved on and widened my tastes.This was the first and only forum I joined!(Don't have time to go on lots of different forums!It is time-consuming enough going on this one!)I like the ppl here, and can make friends n stuff,plus get info on The Offspring.:)

Snoopy
10-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Please learn to use paragraphs.
hehe you're like a forum's policeman, pointing out and correcting everybody's mistakes... you just feel like you're ought to do that or you're simply a perfectionist or what?

Order and peace, eh?

eye_pennies
10-27-2004, 02:13 PM
I don't think I've listend to The Offspring in about a year, maybe more than a year. I'm a pretender, it just feels so familiar here.

Goki
10-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Not a fan, anymore. I don't detest them either.

Betty
10-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Regarding the board: I think a lot of the people on here that I have "known" for 5-6 years are sort of in the same position in their life, in one way or another. A lot of us are close in age, and some interesting conversations can be had. I guess there is just an attachment.

I really like what Vera said (way back at the beginning) about being "a FANFAN" of the band. Cause I love a lot of bands now, but I was never as interested in learning about them, reading interviews, etc. And I was never obsessed like I was with the Offspring.

I don't listen to the band too much anymore, but it's the same for basically any band that I've listened to in the past... there's only so much rotation time in the CD player and I've got a lot of CDs! Smash is always my cheer up CD though.

Like 1565 et al. I do feel pretty cool because I listen to a lot more indie music, etc. now (not nearly enough though), but I never really went through the "I'm too cool for other music" phase. And I agree, pop music rules, I'm in love with it, at least the good kind. Also, although they may not be as technical as other bands, I would say with confidence that I think they've written a LOT of the catchiest most melodic songs I have ever heard.

My interest is always rekindled whenever they have a new CD, or if they're touring, etc. I enjoyed Splinter quite a bit actually. Not as much as the rest (minus CO1), but I listened to it a lot when I bought it.

What really told me that I still love the band though is when I got a chance to go see them a bunch of times this summer. I was so excited and it was SO fun. I have seen a lot of really good live shows, and I wouldn't even say that their show in terms of stage performance is absolutely amazing or anything, but the music is just so good that I've never ever been into a concert before. The music just makes me jump around and sing a long.

sKratch
10-27-2004, 04:13 PM
?

Um, yeah, my whole post was about how it was dumb of me to say I was too good for something that impacted my personal development.

But just judging from your attitude in that statement, it's obvious that your girlfriend hasn't realized the dumbest thing she's ever done.
Meanie :[
MISJUDGEMENT OF ATTITUDE INITIATING EMO TEARS

SicN Twisted
10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Damn right.

The prize goes to 1565 for wittiest thing I've heard this week.

sKratch
10-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Ah the lethal thing about such witticism is that I have no way to remove the shame... I could only counter with something even more witty but because my original statement was a joke meant to be in no way offensive, I see no point. O, how you have pained me 1565 my friend.