PDA

View Full Version : I hate cheesy guitar riffs

calichix
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I used to get down with all those generic classic rock bands like Led Zepplin, but lately I can't handle the cheesy guitar riff factor. Like the ones in any song by Bruce Springstein or Steppenwolf type bands. Those taking bluesy to the next level with a rock n roll attitude riffs. They make me profoundly uncomfortable. If "Whole Lotta Love" comes on the radio I feel squirmy. I don't even dislike the song, but it's embarrasses me like hell.

oh god, or if you're watching a friend's band and one of the musicians is jerking off with an electric guitar while they're warming up.

is that weird? is that repulsive to anyone else? maybe it's the self indulgent factor, cause I feel the same way about the cure.

T-6005
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I run so back and forth with guitar riffs it's ridiculous. I mostly can't listen to 80s rock music because there's far too much speed-arpeggio, slow-bending 'listen to how emotional this is' stuff that's become a cliche for me. But there's almost no doubt that the stuff I do like suffers from the same drawbacks. It's a weird type of self-awareness with no real answer.

I mean, I like the guitar. Love it, in fact - but there's something about watching some guitarists try and carry everything themselves that's just distasteful. Can't stand Van Halen, for instance, because I feel the guitar's always trying to relegate whoever is singing to the background. Not that I listen to a lot of Van Halen, and that's mostly why.

It's the same thing watching people jam, or jamming with them. I'm more than comfortable taking turns adding small fills instead of watching one guitarist play with his eyes closed for twenty minutes while the rest of us pack up and leave.

mrconeman
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I used to get down with all those generic classic rock bands like Led Zepplin.

I really dislike when Led Zeppelin get roped into this category, because while I agree with what you're saying, for every Whole Lotta Love they wrote, they also wrote a D'yer Mak'r, or Going to California, or Bron Yr Aur. They have their cheesy butt-rock riffs for sure, but their discography is easily more dominated by folksy, bluesy, even funky keyboard numbers than the riffers. I mean, they're the last band on the planet that needs someone saying how good they are because nobody shuts up about them, but you know what I'm saying.

Anyway that was just a minor thing, didn't mean to go off on one.

As a guitarist in a riff based rock band it's kind of hard for me to answer this question. What I will say about lead guitarists though, is that 50% of them are showy assholes, who do exactly what you said, get on stage during a soundcheck and wail solos at god-speed like a moron, and have massive egos. And 50% of them are shy, down to earth guys that you don't know are there until they play a set.

It's the latter half that tend to be much better guitarists as it happens anyway, because they focus on making a song sound better rather than making themself look better. It's something I've become very aware of since entering the music scene, there are alot of people who have a stigma against a guitar player because of this sort of thing. Try is the wrong word, because being a show-off douche bag never came naturally to me, I'm an extremely shy person, and playing guitar takes that away from me for a time, but I "try" never to be like that.

Uhh, to answer your question though...sure all of what I consider 'cheesy' rock riffs are terrible, but alot of guitar riffs aren't cheesy or terrible.

DMelges
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Cheesy guitar riffs are classic guitar riffs.

jacknife737
12-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Can't really say that i'm a fan of them; although to be fair, i hate classic rock in general.

I also love ska; so i've got whole lot of issues with my musical taste.

wheelchairman
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree completely with Laura. Guitar solos more often than not are guitar wank. Sure Led Zeppelin and the Doors got an excuse, it was a factor of the times. But generally I find them boring.

I think the music world should take more consideration of people like me, people who are tone-deaf and can't keep a beat.

It's hard to be the worst singer/dancer in a group of people who find that the most amusing thing while drinking. I don't mean singing drunk songs together obviously.

I sing like a retarded Bob Dylan is how I'd put it.

Markus
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I used to get down with all those generic classic rock bands like Led Zepplin,

Yeah, no way Led Zepplin falls into your little spew.

dff_punk
12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Off topic, but I did not know that Calichix is female... although I should have guessed from the nickname, now it all makes sense.

And yeah, our second guitarist often "masturbates" with his guitar when we are warming up, and he is playing the same riffs and solos over and over, it gets irritating at some point. I, as the first guitarist, rarely do that, when warming up, I just play something fun and unexpected.

calichix
12-16-2009, 11:46 PM
led zepplin invented my little spew, dude.

I think the 80s-early 90s teenager wearing headphones guitar riffs are wayyyy less embarrassing than the bluesy ones. it's got the silly element, whereas with the bluesy riffs you can't giggle you can only cringe.

per I heard that not knowing how to dance is simply not knowing your hips taste in music.

wheelchairman
12-17-2009, 05:39 AM
I expect that kind of advice from Janice Dickenson, not you.

People who can dance often think they have good advice for people who can't, because of course they had to learn at some point.

But believe me when I say I am tone-deaf and can't maintain a beat. So to dance I would need some a-tonal beatless rhythms and melodies.