PDA

View Full Version : Don't Rush Me.

T-6005
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Cashier/Convenience store guy, it doesn't matter if you look at me in anger or disgust - floundering in my change pocket isn't going to go any faster if I'm further flustered by your disapproval.

People in line behind me at Subway - please, give me the five seconds I need to decide between cheese and extra cheese without sucking your teeth. I realize you're hungry, but you're not gaining enough time to really make a difference, especially since after I leave you're going to wait until someone pointedly looks at you before bothering to dig your wallet out. At least I've got mine out less than thirty seconds after reaching the cashier.

Little old asian ladies - I'm getting on the bus just fine. Don't worry, I won't sit in your seat. I realize that you're old and want the spot, but you're doing yourself a disservice by elbowing me out of the way and sprinting up the bus steps.

Person in line at Starbucks. Contrary to what you might believe, it isn't me wondering aloud whether I want a tall or a grande that's holding up the line, since I'm not even at the counter. I'm pretty sure what's holding up the line is the fact that there are lots of people in it. Just a thought.

Cars cutting across pedestrian crossings - I didn't run out at the last minute, you know. I just waited until the light changed, then started walking across. It's almost like you wish I'd dart out and try to jaywalk just so you could be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

That's not to say there isn't a reason to get annoyed when people are going slowly, just that most city people need to learn the difference between a small hold-up and an annoying habit. People who meander through malls, smack in the middle of the hallway while looking up as if they'd never seen one before? Annoying. People with strollers who are walking along the edge of side you happen to be on? Just something you're going to have to deal with. People digging out change isn't going to go away. Unfortunately, your bus always being 10 minute late probably won't either.

So city people, just chill out and don't rush me. And the next time around you might find that I'm not rushing you, either.

DMelges
12-10-2009, 01:51 PM
If everyone in the big city were to think the way you do... it would be a much calmer place. I live in the 3rd biggest city in the world. Everybody in a rush all the time. I always try to take my time though.

Free?
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
That's right. My addition to the list is: don't push me. Just like giving a little frame of time to each other, we should give a little space.

sKratch
12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I always feel like an asshole right after I pay for something with cash and have to stand there just to the side putting the bills neatly in my wallet. There's really no way to get around it, so just deal with it people.

dexter12296566
12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
WHat is it with people and Subway?! Anyway I hate being rushed. I always say "Just because your telling me to go faster isn't gonna make it happen! It makes me go slower because I am trying to hard to do(insert scenario here)it and I get streesde out!"

DMelges
12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I always feel like an asshole right after I pay for something with cash and have to stand there just to the side putting the bills neatly in my wallet. There's really no way to get around it, so just deal with it people.

It's not only about getting stuff out of or into your wallet at the cash register, it's about how everyone is always in a huge rush. I also don't like to take too long putting bills back into my wallet in the line, but that's because we always feel rushed to do so. Especially when the cashier calls out 'next!' and you haven't even put your things away yet.

Sidewinder
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TBolt's post is one of the very few reasons I miss my small town in Georgia.

Harleyquiiinn
12-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I agree with you BUT (for Sidewinder)

I have a limit: Escalators and people staying still on the left side of it. The left side is for people who walk, the right side is for people who don't walk. How complicated is that ? Maybe,iIt doesn't make me gain any time but I like to walk in the escalator.

For all future tourists in Paris: Parisians are nice. But if you don't use the escalator properly, you might get killed.

(Off Topic: Also, there is no need to wake up early to visit everything... Subway at rush hour is not a touristic attraction and your group of 20 people laughing about how tight they are in the subway is just annoying)

DMelges
12-11-2009, 06:25 AM
For all future tourists in Paris: Parisians are nice. But if you don't use the escalator properly, you might get killed.

Thanks for the warning :eek:

PedroACastro
12-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree with you BUT (for Sidewinder)

I have a limit: Escalators and people staying still on the left side of it. The left side is for people who walk, the right side is for people who don't walk. How complicated is that ? Maybe,iIt doesn't make me gain any time but I like to walk in the escalator.

(Off Topic: Also, there is no need to wake up early to visit everything... Subway at rush hour is not a touristic attraction and your group of 20 people laughing about how tight they are in the subway is just annoying)

In Portugal there are signs for the escalator thing but no one really follows it for some reason which is annoying. but on topic with the rush thing what i really hate is groups of people that form in an horizontal line in the sidewalk thus preventing anyone from passing them and forcing them to go to the road. seriously why do people do this? and in the same line of people i hate people who decide to start talking in a group in front of a door or general exit to someplace and blocking everyone from leaving or entering that place

T-6005
12-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Is it your duty to be a good citizen? Or would you rather be a good individual?

Hah, got me. Stupid question, I know.

But seriously, wouldn't it be nice if people (incidentally, this thought process works as well online as offline) exercised a little bit of consideration and, perhaps, restraint?

Mmmm... I think I've been reading too many French-translated anthropological papers. Seriously, you try reading Durkheim, Foucault and Levi-Strauss (especially that last asshole: fuck yo binary opposition) and not sounding like a weirdly translated book.

Alternate explanation - my lack of pinky response has led me to avoid contractions, which makes my writing seem accordingly more formal. Also, I like remembering a relatively wide range of words. It feels good.

Mental self-gratification. Tasty.

wheelchairman
12-12-2009, 09:49 AM
It's true, Frenchmen are incomprehensible. I dare you to try understanding deconstruction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruct), by Jacques Derrida. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Derrida) In that sense Durkheim seems like a piece of cake, despite being a translation made 50 years ago, of French written 100 years ago

SweetTatyana
12-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Man I totally know what you mean, one of the reasons I am not the biggest fan of Toronto. I feel like people feed off eachothers rush and worries so people are stressed needlessly.