PDA

View Full Version : Living with NO money. It can be done.

DMelges
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I just re-discovered this article on a guy named Daniel Suelo, who in 2000 decided that he wasn't going to live worried about the size of his wallet, his next bill to pay, let alone the economic crisis. Kudos to this guy. Seriously, how many people would be able to do this? No, this guy isn't insane, he isn't mentally retarded. He just decided to live a much simpler life.
He gets food and water from people who live next to his....cave. Oh, did I forget to mention that he lives in a cave? Yeah, he lives in a cave.

http://www.details.com/culture-trends/career-and-money/200907/meet-the-man-who-lives-on-zero-dollars

Al Coholic
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
The guy's a bum, a dependent on others. Nothing special.

wheelchairman
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
These kinds of articles always get on my nerves. "He lives on no money? So?"

Does he set an example to the rest of us? Not at all. He might not make any money, but he apparently is dependent on others for his food at times.

He's not an example to be copied en masse, these types of idealistic volunteer hobos are ridiculous. Choosing to live in squalor when others who do, have no choice? And if too many others thought this notion was worth emulation, we'd have a dead society.

It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

DMelges
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree that it is not an example to be followed. But I do think that this guy deserves some credit. During a 10 minute blackout, most of us go crazy and bored because we can't use the computer or watch tv. That shows just how materialistic most of us are. And for this guy to simply decide to abandon everything and live the way he does... takes balls.

I know it's not a big deal, but I felt like sharing it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Actually, I think it's a gross oversimplification to say that people freak out in the lack of internet or TV, and the people that do have more profound mental health issues -- they freak out not because of the lack of external stimuli, but because those were their distractions from the things going on inside their own heads. This guy is the same sort of obnoxious freegan dumpster-diving outside your local grocery store, keeping you awake every night. It doesn't take balls. It's not a comfortable existence, for sure, but I don't see the point in praising the life he's carved out for himself, especially since his moneyless existence is only possible because he lives in a moneyed society.

Vera
12-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Living without money would mean growing your own food, raising your own cattle and killing it, or hunting for it. If you choose to do that, major props because it's not an easy life style in most of the "Western" world. Of course you'd need money to start off that kind of a lifestyle if you're living as a regular working taxpayer but that would be true living without money, sustaining yourself without paid work and without buying food or things.

wheelchairman
12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
To grow your own food though would imply property involved, even if the property is already paid for, there is still property taxes, to name a cost that would ruin it.

These kinds of articles seem to be part of a growing anti-capitalist tendency that has sprung up in this crisis. Which is awesome because hopefully it means we'll set up some 'watchdog' institutions that can actually be effective. What I don't like is this sudden appreciation for primitivo-anarchism, that there's any intelligence in it, or that 2000 years of human development so far is completely worthless. That just sucks.

P.s. I don't have any patience for people who get easily bored. I mean, I get easily bored, but there are a myriad of ways I can fix this. I spend more time reading books than I do reading the web anyways.

DMelges
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
What I don't like is this sudden appreciation for primitivo-anarchism, that there's any intelligence in it, or that 2000 years of human development so far is completely worthless. That just sucks.

It's the voluntary choice of living that people find interesting. It isn't in anyway a smart move to make in life, but it's interesting to find people who do these kinds of things that none of us would ever do.

I don't have any patience for people who get easily bored. I mean, I get easily bored, but there are a myriad of ways I can fix this. I spend more time reading books than I do reading the web anyways.

I also get easily bored, but I'm in no way utterly dependent of eletronics. I spend most of my time playing guitar and reading. People who don't have anything else to do but stay on the computer, watch tv or play video games suffer when there's a blackout.