PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking?

RageAndLov
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
So here I'm sitting and writing an essay due tomorrow. I wrote a long paragraph with some clever points and just before I go to take a piss, I am going to save what I just wrote. I intend to press ctrl + s, but I managed of course to press the w-key instead, making Word close itself without saving.
What the hell were the programmers thinking when putting the function for saving and closing the programme without saving RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER?
I also hate when I write long posts and I intend to start a new line with a capital W, and of course I manage to hit ctrl instead of shift, making it all go away.

Fucking shit...

DMelges
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
I feel your pain. That has happend to me many times. They were probably expecting that the users would be smart enough not to hit the wrong key, lol.
I also hate it when you press ctrl+c to copy, but when you press ctrl+v, you don't paste anything for some reason.

PedroACastro
12-14-2009, 10:29 AM
with my word it asks if i want to save before closing. you should just start saving with your mouse instead of ctrl W

wheelchairman
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I save using the mouse. It might sound old fashioned, but the last paper I wrote (with a two others) was upwards of 80 pages. No one wants to re-write what they've already written.

Of course that's an inevitability no matter how many precautions you take. (After I close word, I usually mail the document to myself over email as a precaution as well.)

Alison
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I just use my mouse in order for this not to happen.

My laptop got a virus the day before my presentation, for which all my notes were on Word.

Sucks.

Blitz!
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Why the hell were the programmers thinking when putting the function for saving and closing the programme without saving RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER?

It's a conspiracy ;)

I don't use shortcut keys, with the exception of ctrl F so I must be old school. Not so long ago I went on a training course and the lecturer was ctrl this and ctrl that and I was like 'no, no, no, where do I click'

jacknife737
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Huh, i use shortcut-keys all the time, and this has never happened to me.

nameless
12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
i normally use the mouse to save things however there is still a chance you can click the wrong icon! or maybe try finding a way to change the shortcuts on the keyboard!

Al Coholic
12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Programmer Bob: "Hey John, you think it's weird we have the save and close functions next to eachother?"
Programmer John: "Not really. I mean it only take a fraction of a second to make sure you hit the right key"
Bob: "Yeah that's true. Plus it only take like 2 extra seconds to do it with your mouse"
John: "EXACTLY. I mean, if you fuck up trying to save, you kinda deserve it. It'll teach people a lesson to slow the fuck down. I mean fuck, it's not that difficult"
Bob: "Yeah, fuck those people."

That's pretty much how I think it went down.

Rag Doll
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I save using the mouse. It might sound old fashioned, but the last paper I wrote (with a two others) was upwards of 80 pages. No one wants to re-write what they've already written.

Of course that's an inevitability no matter how many precautions you take. (After I close word, I usually mail the document to myself over email as a precaution as well.)

Yes, all of this. I'm ridiculously careful with papers because I usually do them very near to the due date and they are usually pretty long.

Llamas
12-15-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't use word, I use open office.. but doesn't word have the same system, where if your program closes without saving, it has the automatic recovery function?

RageAndLov
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't use word, I use open office.. but doesn't word have the same system, where if your program closes without saving, it has the automatic recovery function?

Yeah, but it doesn't save all the time. At least for Word. I don't know if it is possible to change how often to auto-save (it is probably possible), but the default is like every 30 mins or so? You can write a hell of a lot in 30 mins and then forgetting it if it all goes away.

Jesus
12-16-2009, 01:09 AM
AZERTY keyboard FTW!

Btw. You can just change the shortcut-keys in your settings...

dexter12296566
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I hate when word indents paragraphs and won't let you move it when it doesn't need to be indented or when they capitalize the first letter of the line when it is not needed!:mad: