PDA

View Full Version : Love, Hate and Academic Evaluations.

T-6005
12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm in an Anthropology program, in my fifth year. I don't have tests, ever. Well, almost never - my methods class had one and it sucked, though I probably aced it. Instead we're evaluated through essays, like a lot of other fields. Because after a while you need to know if you can apply concepts or whether you should just go home.

So yesterday and today I was writing about Structuralism and whether it's what Foucault would have termed an epistemological break from previous theorists, and I started getting really frustrated. Seriously, I've complained about translations from French before, but from Foucault to Saussure to Levi-Strauss, all of which make Durkheim seem simple in comparison, I just started to get totally worn down.

Then suddenly I realized I was enjoying myself.

I shit you not. My brain felt wooden, my thoughts were contorted and confused in mental calisthenics and I just wasn't connecting with the material. In a nutshell, I felt dumb. Horrifically stupid. But each time I fumbled out a coherent thought a first-year would have laughed at me for struggling with, I felt a moment of unmitigated triumph. I blasted my way through a short essay one painstaking word at a time and turned it in without revision (like I always do) and now I sit here in the blissful ignorance of completion.

Seriously, the best part of writing essays is when you've just finished and can start thinking about nothing.

Apathy
12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Although I am a college freshman, I share your experience in that there is little that makes me happier than completing a large assignment that has been due for weeks and finally just sitting and doing nothing. Nothing at all. And. Is. It. Gratifying.

Alison
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
The title sounds like some sort of book.

Once I get into doing an essay, I can't stop myself, and I really don't mind doing them either. I find myself engrossed in all this shit that I won't ever need to know, and it feels great when I can put it all together after researching for hours online. It's the worst feeling before you do it and it's pretty okay while you're doing it, and it's great afterwards.

I've two essays to do over Christmas however, which won't be so fun.

jacknife737
12-16-2009, 07:16 AM
I'll have to echo the thought that there is nothing better than simply doing nothing after writing a massive paper.

There is a downside though; when you have an exam the day after, you don't have the luxury of doing nothing.

Oh well, finished my last paper this morning; one exam tomorrow. Then only one more exam after that.

T-6005
12-16-2009, 12:22 PM
You know what else? I especially like the silence afterwards because it's usually so close to the deadline. I can finish my work, turn it in, and then forget about it because there's no longer anything I can do.

I'm thinking of this because I'm plodding my way through another essay, but this one isn't due until next Monday. I have to do it today since I'm busy tomorrow and Friday and I leave Canada on Saturday, but knowing that it isn't due until next Monday (no matter that in reality I urgently have to get this done immediately) is ruining my pacing. More than that, once I finish I'll be tempted to not turn it in, but to look it over since I have time left (which I actually don't have).

Harleyquiiinn
12-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah I am exactly like that. As ong as it is not an emergency, I won't do anything. But that is the only way I can only concentrate. It is not a matter of motivation. Waiting will increase my reasoning and efficiency.
Brain is a lot smarter at the last minute.

You should listen to the song called "Paniac"

http://www.musicme.com/Billy-Ze-Kick/albums/Paniac-0731453260429.html?play=01_01