PDA

View Full Version : Lame recurring news

Al Coholic
12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Dan M's thread about some bum that chose to live in a cave gave me the idea. You know those 'specials' they do on the news that are really lame? They're esentially the same 50 or so stories that they just find new examples for. The kind you could essentially Mad-Lib(or however that's spelled) by taking the same story in filling in names and places.

Here's an example:

The guy who was "told by doctors" he wasn't going to live/walk/compete athletically again, and then he ended up doing just that. Ok, here's the thing: This guy was probably told his probability of living/walking/playing badmitten was so slim it was better to just prepare for the worst. But if your odds are 1:1000, that's sound advice. And it's totally lame to find the inevitable 50 guys that made it out of 50000, find the most 'inspirational story' and milk it on TV.

?

DMelges
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Alot of people enjoy inspirational, wierd and sometimes miracle like stories.

Al Coholic
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Alot of people enjoy reality dating shows and Dragon Ball Z. That doesn't make it any less lame.

DMelges
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Alot of people enjoy reality dating shows and Dragon Ball Z. That doesn't make it any less lame.

Yes, but what's going to change?

Everybody is sick of seeing bad news. Another car crash, another plane crash, another robbery. People like good stories, wich normally come as inspirational, no matter how dull they may be. I do agree with you.

T-6005
12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Love pets?

Twelve thousand cuddly animals that can kill you, right after the break.

DMelges
12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Love pets?

Twelve thousand cuddly animals that can kill you, right after the break.

Can't afford to miss that.

Harleyquiiinn
12-15-2009, 12:51 AM

Of course, you are talking about the anime and not the manga.

The only reccuring news that exasperates me is the one whith the guy killing/raping/stealing someone/something and who had already done some time in jail.

Because the reader's reaction is "why did they let him out ? this is a scandal ! we have to do something so that it will never happen again !"

And then the king passes a new law instead of trying to make the last one work.

wheelchairman
12-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Or that one chick on 60 minutes who only interviews succesful businessmen who use unconventional management practices.

Jebus
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Retarded kid does something almost normal. So heartwarming.

Harleyquiiinn
12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Retarded kid does something almost normal. So heartwarming.

Oh I've watched the most awful documentary the other day. It was about a kid, she wasn't retarded but she had the siren syndrom, her 2 legs were attached.

So the whole documentary was about how she was fighting to have a normal life, and there was this part where she had to chose to do a terrible operation to separate her legs. She choses not to do it.
At the end of the doc, you see the little girl saying that it doesn't matter and that maybe she will have to fight a little more but she will be able to do anything she wants with her life, even be a princess.

And then, the documentary ends with a message saying that despite the best efforts of her family, doctirs and friends, she died 2 months ago.

coke_a_holic
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Possible outbreak of death and destruction and disease, could it be living in your kitchen sink? More after the break.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/fark_book.jpg

I found this book really interesting, I recommend reading it for some more funny news stories and a pretty interesting explanation for why news has become so overbloated with bullshit stories. Plus, if you want to READ more bullshit stories, the author has a website called www.fark.com where people just post them all day every day, with their own sarcastic headlines. Great stuff.

T-6005
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Man I used to love fark.com. I hadn't been in a while.