PDA

View Full Version : RATM vs. X-Factor

Harleyquiiinn
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiQPqmYE1A

So, there's a race in the UK for n°1 single for Christmas.

Some guys made a group on facebook to make people buy "Killing in the Name" in the UK in order to beat the guy from X-Factor.

Here is an article explaining

Rage Against The Machine's Morello praises chart race
Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello
Tom Morello is donating some of the single's proceeds to a UK charity

Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello has said that beating the X Factor single to Christmas number one will be a "wonderful dose of anarchy".

A Facebook group which aims to get the band's 1992 hit Killing In The Name to the top of the festive chart has attracted more than 750,000 members.

Current figures show the song has sold 175,000 copies, compared to 110,000 for McElderry's single, The Climb.

Morello told BBC 6 Music the support for his song was "heart warming".

'Unexpected windfall'

He told the station's breakfast show that the "rebel anthem song will transcend the Christmas holidays".

He added: "The one thing about the X Factor show, much like our own American Idol, is if you're a viewer of the show you get to vote for one contestant or the other, but you don't really get to vote against the show itself until now."

He added: "It's this machinery that puts forward a particular type of music which represents a particular kind of listener.

Joe McElderry talks about Christmas chart battle

"There are a lot of people who don't feel represented by it and this Christmas in the UK they're having their say."

The guitarist said the single's position as a Christmas number one contender was an "unexpected windfall" and he plans to donate some of the proceeds to a charity which helps children progress their musical careers in the UK.

"My hope is that one of the results of this whole Christmas season is there'll be a new generation of rockers who will take on the establishment with the music they write."

Meanwhile, in an interview with music magazine NME, Simon Cowell - who is behind the X Factor single - said that the ITV1 show had "done everyone a favour" by adding some life to the festive charts.

Shows like Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor have actually got people more interested in music again, and are sending more people into record stores.
Simon Cowell

"I think we were getting to a point where [the Christmas chart] was all becoming like The Millennium Prayer, and I just didn't like that song."

"I think we all have this belief that the Christmas number one was just amazing, a real special occasion, but actually when you look at them over recent years, it was Bob the Builder one year, Mr Blobby…there's a tradition of quite horrible songs.

"I think I've done everyone a favour.

"Shows like Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor have actually got people more interested in music again, and are sending more people into record stores. We haven't seen this kind of uplift in years."

McElderry's single has been available to download since Monday, but physical copies go on sale on Wednesday.

Record industry trade magazine Music Week said the release of the CD single was likely to give the X Factor winner "a massive boost".

"While the singles market is now overwhelmingly made up of download sales, X Factor Christmas singles traditionally sell strongly on CD," it added.

In recent years, winners of The X Factor have eased their way to the top of the Christmas chart. Last year's winner, Alexandra Burke, scored the biggest-selling single of 2008 with her cover version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

I think this is a good idea and it kind of makes me want to rewatch Love Actually for some reason...

Oh yes...

Christmas is all around...

holland25
12-18-2009, 12:13 PM
That competition started almost month ago. Also, this should probably be in Other Bands forum.

Harleyquiiinn
12-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, obviously, I didn't know about it before. Should I go hang myself ?

And about your edit: I don't think so... it has more to do with reality TV than with RATM... IMO

holland25
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Nah, I was just pointing it out.

nameless
12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
id like to see them beat the exfactor winner to number one but im not too fussed if they didnt. its the usual debate coming round again, no one would of heard of that guy had he not been on xfactor and hes probably had some professional songwriters helping him out. someone did point out in todays paper that simon cowell is actually part of the management who owns another firm that ratms label belong to (or something along those lines!) so i hope people arent doing this just to annoy simon cowell or anything like that!

Irish-Rover
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
This is what that twat Joe said about "killing in the name of" and it just shows he knows fuck all about music

I had no idea what it sounded like. It's dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

I wouldn't buy it. It's a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn't like it. They wouldn't get through to boot camp on The X Factor - they're just shouting.

Alison
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I hate the X Factor and everyone's obsession with it. It's utter shite.

And those idiots John and Edward...and to make it worse, I heard yesterday they are looking for roles in the movie of "The Hobbit". I fucking hope not! Neither of those shits could sing and the hair...oh please.

kaylae
12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
RATM were on bbc radio 5 live and the producers made them promise not to swear on the song and of course when it got to the end they just launched into 'fuck you I won't do what you tell me' four times before the producers pulled the plug. The bbc had to apologise profusely but what did they expect? you can't tell a band like that not to swear, if they had not sworn then they would have been doing what they were told and that kind of defeats the message of the song.

nameless
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
RATM were on bbc radio 5 live and the producers made them promise not to swear on the song and of course when it got to the end they just launched into 'fuck you I won't do what you tell me' four times before the producers pulled the plug. The bbc had to apologise profusely but what did they expect? you can't tell a band like that not to swear, if they had not sworn then they would have been doing what they were told and that kind of defeats the message of the song.

i just heard that on youtube, sounds like they may be playing a free show if it does get to number one as well!

kaylae
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
News just in!!! Rage are number one! That's power to the people!!!

kaylae
12-20-2009, 10:54 AM
...and Zac just confirmed they will be playing a free gig in the UK as a thanks! I'll be there lol

nameless
12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
i need to be at that show as well, it was great hearing the covers by audisoave live but ratm playing would be the best! i notice some people were blaming the fact joe came in second on the weather, apparently the snow in some parts of the country stopped people from going out and buying it!

kaylae
12-20-2009, 03:01 PM
i need to be at that show as well, it was great hearing the covers by audisoave live but ratm playing would be the best! i notice some people were blaming the fact joe came in second on the weather, apparently the snow in some parts of the country stopped people from going out and buying it!

ha ha got nothing to do with the fact it was shite then? I'm guessing if people couldn't get out to buy it then they couldn't get out to buy rage either, nothing was stopping them from downloading it! In fact they said on radio 1 that RATM had broken records with this song for downloads! I think people are just pissed off with the crap that reality shows churn out year after year. I don't think it was a diss to Joe whathisname so much as a diss to simon cowell and his monolopy of the british xmas number 1

Vera
12-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Following this on Twitter was fun last night. I agree with people who sided with RATM, great way to reclaim the charts, plus they helped out a charity with tens of thousands pounds so for that, they really deserved to win, too.

Honestly, who's even going to remember these X-Factor winners the year after they've won..

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 03:14 AM
I don't know, I thought this whole thing was lame as hell and am surprised that anyone took it seriously.

And for the record, RATM sounds like ass and always has.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Let me elaborate on that a bit. Rock fans and aficionados walk around with the biggest inferiority complexes on the musical planet. They literally believe they are an oppressed minority genre, despite all evidence to the contrary. That the top 10 of pop might include 1 rock song is irrelevant, any band in the top 10 sold out. Obviously.

Sorry Sanni to pluck out something you said, especially because I'm 50% certain you said it with a dose of irony, but "taking back the charts" really symbolizes exactly what I am talking about. Taking back the charts from who? The evil pop-music capitalists? The other 3-4 genres that rock music shares the pop charts with?

What is this a protest against? That people like to watch X-Factor? Or that people like christmas music that is usually bad? So what? This is no one's business. Certainly not ours to interfere with. And acting like this is some accomplishment in the name of rock, wtf?

We should be happy that the pop-capitalists are so benevolent towards stubborn and oft retarded rock-fans, I'm certain that if the Rocketariat ever seized the charts all we'd hear is the boring monotonous drone of rock singles. No diversity, no variation. I'll take the benevolent dictatorship of Pop over the malevolent democracy of Rock any day.

So rock-aficionados, quit whining all the time.

p.s. Sanni none of that is directed at you, I just thought your quote was perfect.

Free?
12-21-2009, 04:23 AM
They did it for lulz and to show a middlefinger to X-factory. Just like WCM couldn't skip another chance to bash rock-listeners riot attitude. People like to pwn other people who they feel bad about and most likely will not miss a chance to do so.

Vera
12-21-2009, 06:24 AM
"Reclaim the charts" was a bit daft on my part, I don't put half as much brainpower into what I type onto my posts nowadays as I used to. Like reclaim the streets, only not at all. XD

I discovered the whole thing by accident and enjoyed watching it unfold but I'm with you on some points.

I think it's more a show of dislike towards X-Factor's popularity as well as a show of how popular internet campaigns can be. People obviously dug the idea, regardless of whether they dug RATM, and so it caught on. Add to that the importance of digital charts - on most download services the song cost less than an actual physical copy of a single, so it's not actually too much money to download the song and help the 'cause'. I believe it's the first time the number one has been based on downloads only.

Not to jump on your case, Per, but honestly I feel like to be edgy you have to critisize the "edgy" things, such as this campaign, and honestly, that's a bit silly. Yes, this is an inconsequential statement people rallied behind with fervor that it didn't really deserve. Yes, there's nothing original about disliking manufactured pop acts.

But so damn what? It's a bit of fun, like making a meme out of a b-movie so much so the script of it gets changed (SOAP). And tons of good came out of it, in terms of charity and RATM doing a free show for their UK fans. A touch of the unexpected for the charts people for once gave a damn about for a week. Small bit of history that probably won't be repeated - though I'm sure folk will try, but the fact there'll be 13 campaigns for 13 songs will mean the X-factor winner will probably win again.

I don't think anybody did this because boohoo, pop is popular. I think people did it because it's a cool idea, and they dug that idea, and realized that with enough people, they can make it happen. And they did.

mrconeman
12-21-2009, 07:04 AM
It's funny, I love being a rock afficianado, and quite a number of my friends being the same, and how I rarely ever see any of the retarded and huge generalisations that WCM makes everytime guitar, or music is brought up actually happen, I guess that's pretty fun.

This has fuck all to do with the victimisation of rock music in the charts, fuck all to do with anti-capitalism, fuck all to do with annoying X-Factor (it's viewers, or its creators) and fuck all to do with annoying Joe whatshisface who was in the running.

The plain and simple, single reason for this campaign, was to give the people of the U.K (where X-factor has won Christmas number one for 4 years in a row, until now) an actual choice instead of Joe whatshisface inevitably getting the number one spot. It just so happened to be a "rock" song with a rebel mentality/message, you know, for the lulz.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay that post unsurprisingly got a lot of responses, which at least is more interesting than the topic that was at hand. :p Hopefully I can finish this post before my mother-in-law finishes dinner. It's a race against time. I'd also like to point out that I was trying to make my point very tongue in cheek, I thought Rocketariat and Pop-capitalists made that clear, but I fear some people might've taken them more literally than intended.

"Reclaim the charts" was a bit daft on my part, I don't put half as much brainpower into what I type onto my posts nowadays as I used to. Like reclaim the streets, only not at all. XD

I discovered the whole thing by accident and enjoyed watching it unfold but I'm with you on some points.

I think it's more a show of dislike towards X-Factor's popularity as well as a show of how popular internet campaigns can be. People obviously dug the idea, regardless of whether they dug RATM, and so it caught on. Add to that the importance of digital charts - on most download services the song cost less than an actual physical copy of a single, so it's not actually too much money to download the song and help the 'cause'. I believe it's the first time the number one has been based on downloads only.

Not to jump on your case, Per, but honestly I feel like to be edgy you have to critisize the "edgy" things, such as this campaign, and honestly, that's a bit silly. Yes, this is an inconsequential statement people rallied behind with fervor that it didn't really deserve. Yes, there's nothing original about disliking manufactured pop acts.

But so damn what? It's a bit of fun, like making a meme out of a b-movie so much so the script of it gets changed (SOAP). And tons of good came out of it, in terms of charity and RATM doing a free show for their UK fans. A touch of the unexpected for the charts people for once gave a damn about for a week. Small bit of history that probably won't be repeated - though I'm sure folk will try, but the fact there'll be 13 campaigns for 13 songs will mean the X-factor winner will probably win again.

I don't think anybody did this because boohoo, pop is popular. I think people did it because it's a cool idea, and they dug that idea, and realized that with enough people, they can make it happen. And they did.
Alright well I do agree with you on shows like X-factor, I don't watch them and find the interest bizarre for the exact reason you mentioned, with a few exceptions the winners disappear. I guess bringing new meaning to the term 15 minutes of fame. And I have nothing against RATM personally, well except that Tom Morello got to be in Star Trek Voyager. Stupid famous jerk with stupid opportunities unavailable to me.

What I do like about X-factor is that it does become a national past-time, at least in a nation as small as Denmark. It is fun to see people who are usually apathetic about things like this caring etc, and while the premise of the show isn't my thing, it doesn't harm anyone. It just seems like a lame thing to protest. And being me, I'll point this out.

Also did RATM get back together, how are they doing this show in the UK? How far behind the times am I approximately?

In my defense, I personally have no interest in being edgy. In fact quite the opposite, people make such a big deal about these types of anti-'establishment' (for lack of being able to think of a better term for these kinds of shows that everyone else likes, not that it has anything to do with any kind of establishment, hopefully you know what I man) etc., I guess I would like to take the role of the anti-snob, which yes if written condescendingly will come off as an anti-snob snob, not that I really care. Not trying to be edgy, just sort of annoyed by this kind of attitude which at least in my circles is more prevalent.

Dinner almost seems to be ready so it looks like mrconeman will have to wait.

It's funny, I love being a rock afficianado, and quite a number of my friends being the same, and how I rarely ever see any of the retarded and huge generalisations that WCM makes everytime guitar, or music is brought up actually happen, I guess that's pretty fun.

This has fuck all to do with the victimisation of rock music in the charts, fuck all to do with anti-capitalism, fuck all to do with annoying X-Factor (it's viewers, or its creators) and fuck all to do with annoying Joe whatshisface who was in the running.

The plain and simple, single reason for this campaign, was to give the people of the U.K (where X-factor has won Christmas number one for 4 years in a row, until now) an actual choice instead of Joe whatshisface inevitably getting the number one spot. It just so happened to be a "rock" song with a rebel mentality/message, you know, for the lulz.

Obviously it has nothing to do with anti-capitalism, the term rocketariat really should've made this obvious. Or the fact that I was trying to compare this to the Russian revolution, which should have made it seem disproportionate.

And the attitude I'm talking about is the exact one you're proposing. Or in other words, why care so much when other people obviously do? It doesn't really matter anyways.

The victimisation of rock attitude is also something that is extremely common, but I guess its something you notice from the outside looking in. A case study would be every metal song ever written.* Especially ones that include dragons, trolls, or other oppressive fantasy creatures.

*Not to be taken literally.

In other news, I didn't finish this before dinner. :(

Paint_It_Black
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM
I think people did it because it's a cool idea, and they dug that idea, and realized that with enough people, they can make it happen. And they did.

That's certainly why I think this is awesome.

They accomplished their goal. And made it look easy. That's pretty inspirational.

I'm now extra disappointed I wasn't able to make it home to England for Christmas this year.

mrconeman
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Obviously it has nothing to do with anti-capitalism, the term rocketariat really should've made this obvious. Or the fact that I was trying to compare this to the Russian revolution, which should have made it seem disproportionate.

That part of my post was not directed at you, I did pick up on your sarcasm, I know you weren't being entirely serious with that part, but you'd be suprised the amount of people who are like "U GUIS R SO STOOPID COWELL AND RATM R ON TEH SAME LEBULZ HAHA ANTYCAPITLAISTM FAIL".

And the attitude I'm talking about is the exact one you're proposing. Or in other words, why care so much when other people obviously do? It doesn't really matter anyways.
The only reason I care about this is because it's an awesome idea, you're the one putting a victim mind-set on me when I don't have one at all (other than the fact that I'm now a victim of being portrayed as a victim :P).

I'll stress that the reason I like this idea has nothing to do with me being a rock fan or anti-pop or anti anything. It's just the fact that for the first time in about 20 years a good song (in my opinion obviously) has topped the charts, and at Christmas as a bonus. I care about this as a fan of music, not as a victim.

The victimisation of rock attitude is also something that is extremely common, but I guess its something you notice from the outside looking in.
Well from the inside looking around, I very rarely, if ever see it. And I suspect it would have alot more to do with the people being retarded, than the fact that they like a certain genre of music.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Well unfortunately no one seems to disagree with me anymore. :(
I'll show y'all what I mean.

That part of my post was not directed at you, I did pick up on your sarcasm, I know you weren't being entirely serious with that part, but you'd be suprised the amount of people who are like "U GUIS R SO STOOPID COWELL AND RATM R ON TEH SAME LEBULZ HAHA ANTYCAPITLAISTM FAIL".
Yeah that is retarded. Simon Cowell is horrible like as a person, not considering his career choices, RATM just isn't my kind of music.

The only reason I care about this is because it's an awesome idea, you're the one putting a victim mind-set on me when I don't have one at all (other than the fact that I'm now a victim of being portrayed as a victim :P).

I'll stress that the reason I like this idea has nothing to do with me being a rock fan or anti-pop or anti anything. It's just the fact that for the first time in about 20 years a good song (in my opinion obviously) has topped the charts, and at Christmas as a bonus. I care about this as a fan of music, not as a victim.

Granted while I was generalizing in my post, I was hoping it would not be perceived as universal. My tastes in music lean much more heavily towards rock than any other genre.

Thus it wasn't my intention to portray everyone who likes rock as victims, only those who express that stupid opinion.

Well from the inside looking around, I very rarely, if ever see it. And I suspect it would have alot more to do with the people being retarded, than the fact that they like a certain genre of music.
Yeah that's generally true of all retarded opinions. I would like to make clear that I wasn't talking about the participants of this thread or even the supporters of the event, but the people who chose this reason as a reason to support this event. Tizz says that sentence sounds confusing, I beg to differ.

nameless
12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
i think it came down to the fact people are sick of commercialism etc. it may have started to some people as a bit of a gimmick against the pop music world but came down to more of a "power to the people" thing.

the fact an xfactor winner for the second year running (that i know of) was gonna be number one with a song they didnt even write got to people. without looking it up, can anyone name many other songs in contention for the christmas number one besides the xfactor winner and ratm?!

the most annoying thing is what the so called experts are saying about the sales. the week leading up to christmas is known for being one of the busiest of the year for shops, comments such as people not going out and buying the single due to bad weather were just ridiculous. as people mentioned, they could have downloaded it, or maybe they just werent interested in the song which without this campaign, would have ended up as number one again!

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me. Unless you tell me to buy Killing in the Name and make it the Christmas #1.

I was saddened recently to learn that Audioslave is basically RATM but with the singer from Soundgarden. Ugh.

I was also saddened to realize that Papa Roach didn't magically disappear after releasing Infest but in fact are still around and making many of the shitty-yet-catchy songs I hear on the radio. How the fuck did that happen? I went most of a decade in blissful ignorance of this? Wow.

Jesus
12-22-2009, 03:22 AM
I contributed to this. 40 cents, can't even get something at mcdonalds for that.

What suprises me is that the X-Factor song did so well. Usually they take some older song and then make a horrible cover out of it. Now they took a recent (couple months old) Miley Cyrus song that already did well in the UK and made an identical cover of it, just a dude singing it and it does so well.

Next year they should take no risks and just do a cover of the number one of the week before.

I was saddened recently to learn that Audioslave is basically RATM but with the singer from Soundgarden. Ugh.
Recently? Hows 2002 going?

I was also saddened to realize that Papa Roach didn't magically disappear after releasing Infest but in fact are still around and making many of the shitty-yet-catchy songs I hear on the radio. How the fuck did that happen? I went most of a decade in blissful ignorance of this? Wow.
Don't look up Limp Bizkit, they are still doing it too.

ad8
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Awesome.

On topic: I like the fact that there are actually enough people to make RATM no 1 of the charts. No intolerance towards pop-music, just intolerance towards the intolerance of this show guy who hates RATM. :D

Vera
12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Hate to generalize but a lot of fans of pop groups or artists just want to support the artist, regardless of how amazing the song is or whatever. I mean, if it was me, I'd probably wait for his album or whatever before spending any money on the dude, but they're showing support with their purchases and who knows, maybe they genuinely want to listen to that track over and over again.

Which I guess is just as well as these artists rarely have a very long career. So they have to make money, and make it fast.

Pretty sure the competition sped up sales of a lot of singles/downloads.

nameless
12-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me. Unless you tell me to buy Killing in the Name and make it the Christmas #1.

no one had to buy the ratm single, they chose to buy it!

wheelchairman
12-22-2009, 06:54 PM
What's that got to do with the post you quoted?

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
no one had to buy the ratm single, they chose to buy it!

They were told to. I looked at the Facebook group myself and people were specifically telling me to buy it. So I didn't. 'Cause fuck them. I won't do what they tell me.

Recently? Hows 2002 going?

Yeah, I know. I know. I'm a little slow.

Apathy
12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
They were told to. I looked at the Facebook group myself and people were specifically telling me to buy it. So I didn't. 'Cause fuck them. I won't do what they tell me.

Nicely done. Also, what do you have against Soundgarden? Or was that just a stab at Audioslave? Because I really know nothing of them, only that Soundgarden is not really any better or worse than any of the other 90's rock bands.

Also, wasn't there a movie with this premise? A kind of anti-pop guy who also turns out to be a shitty father makes a song to try and take over the #1 spot from the lovable christmas song. Romantic comedy hilarity ensues. Something like that.

Paint_It_Black
12-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Nothing against Soundgarden. I would need to have listened to them to have anything against them, and I can't recall hearing any of their music.

I really don't like Audioslave though. Their music is just unpleasant to my ears. I have nothing else against them, I just don't like the sound of it. And since I do kinda like RATM I was disappointed to learn that they turned into a band that I don't like. Nothing more to that really.

Apparently they will have a new album out next year. Considering that will be their first full length album in 6 years though it's a bit different.

wheelchairman
12-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Linkin Park seems to be even more famous and popular than they were 7 years ago. When the credits for Transformers 2 came up, the kids in front of us were like 'hey it's linkin park playing!' 'Awesome!!'

And I thought 'God kids are dumb but that movie was AWESOME!!'

Anyways, I also wanted to say I could never stand RATM but the one song I heard by Audioslave 5 or 6 years ago was pretty good. I think.

Apathy
12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Anyways, I also wanted to say I could never stand RATM but the one song I heard by Audioslave 5 or 6 years ago was pretty good. I think.

I'm embarrassed to say it by I'm hoping that you're talking about Show Me How To Live. Because I honestly like that song although I've been too scared to listen to any other Audioslave song because of all the negativity that people throw around them.

wheelchairman
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I think the music video had a car in it, possibly driving on a desert or dirt road. But I might be mixing this up with a video game or something.