PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

DMelges
12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
WOW, what an amazing film. James Cameron really pulled it off here.

When his brother is killed in battle, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora.

I was a bit skeptic when I went to see the movie because I had read reviews saying that it was a masterpiece, a true turning point in the movie industry. But let me tell you, it truely is. The film is beautiful, with breathtaking scenaries and impressive characters. The story, even though not very original, is very good. And the way JC represented it with detail was epic.

I loved the biology in this movie. The idea and representation of being able to physically and mentally connect to nature, all plants and animals. I also think the CG was perfect, and all movies of this genre will be compared to Avatar from this day forward.

What did you guys think?

T-6005
12-19-2009, 12:54 PM
The world was pretty incredible and the visuals were stunning, and James Cameron really knows how to craft an entire universe.

Thing is the story was a little predictable. But I didn't mind.

Homer
12-19-2009, 01:39 PM
The story wasn't that great, and there were some cheesy moments...

What the fuck.

Alison
12-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I find I'm not really pushed on seeing it, because I know the story is going to be really predictable. But then again, I went to see 2012 knowing how it would finish, just to see the graphics...so yeah, I've no excuse. Just no time to go see it.

calichix
12-20-2009, 12:48 AM
really? I thought it was like... hella lame. it was pretty imagery, but the dialogue was painful and it totally bo-jacked fern gully to the max.

nightvision
12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm seeing it tonight. Should be interesting.

Icy Chic
12-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I really want to see this movie, but I won't get to until the 26th.