Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. That is almost copied straight from a
news site (because honestly if I hadnít, thereís no way Iíd have been
able to spell Arnieís name!)

Anyway, I recently caught an ad for a movie on Court TV called The
Exonerated. Itís based on true stories of several people who spent
years on death row for crimes they didnít commit. The original version
was a play which inspired my interest in the subject of the death
penalty. I specifically remember one guy who spent something like 20
years on death row before finally being cleared.

Now before someone jumps all over me: Iím not saying that the guy who
was just executed in California was innocent. But does anyone think
itís acceptable that even one innocent person could be executed? I
think itís about time this country joins the rest of the civilized
world and adopts a more humane approach. For those of you still on the
fence on this issue, Iíd check out this movie, because if itís anything
like the play the personal stories will astound you. I think it airs on
January 27 (but check courttv.com just in case Iím wrong). And if you
have thoughts on this issue, Iíd like to hear them.

wheelchairman
01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Ironically, the death penalty costs more money than life inprisonment.

Not Ozymandias
01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Even if someone is guilty as fuck they should live. The state shouldn't be in the revenge business.

Does anyone have a complete list of all the nations that still kill their inmates? It's hilarious, as it's America and the 3rd-world basically.

wheelchairman
01-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Even if someone is guilty as fuck they should live. The state shouldn't be in the revenge business.

Does anyone have a complete list of all the nations that still kill their inmates? It's hilarious, as it's America and the 3rd-world basically.
Yeah, America's up there with Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Iran, the former Iraq (well also the current Iraq), Afghanistan. I believe this makes nations like Pakistan more progressive than the US.

SicN Twisted
01-26-2005, 03:56 PM
America is one out of seven countries in the world that execute minors. Saudi Arabia, Libya, and Iran are all on that list. It seems the religious right has managed to keep our country in the middle ages in many respects.

killboypwrheadjx
01-27-2005, 05:56 PM
America is one out of seven countries in the world that execute minors. Saudi Arabia, Libya, and Iran are all on that list. It seems the religious right has managed to keep our country in the middle ages in many respects.
i never knew that. thats really actually shocking.

im against the death penalty. theres a little sort of concept i have that being a hypocrite is much much worse than not getting even with someone. i think people should suffer in prison and die slowly rather than just get killed by the government. murderers, child molestors, etc....those people all deserve the worse punishment possible and i think that the punishment could be done much worse alive rather than dead.

Revolver-2005?
01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
the detah penalty is stupid...were better off keeping thm alive...since it costs more to kill thm...

HMSPresident
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't know how things are over in America, but I know here in England "Life" doesn't actually mean you'll be in prison til your death... which is a shame...

I agree with the original comment tho, there is no way at all that someone should be executed if there's even the tiniest hint that they might be innocent. And the only way around that is to abolish the death penalty, and make the fucker's rot in jail!! That way, if someone is innocent, at least they've got longer to try and prove it!

Was there not a case fairly recently of some guy being proved innocent after 18 years on Death-row??

Anya82
02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
i'm against death penalty. Cause, first of all, i don't think anyone owns someone else's life, or can decide about their lives. Not because you're a judge, you own, or can decide if someone lives or not.

I'm also against it cause i DO think that all those people can have a worse punishment alive. If they kill a person.. what's next? so? he died, and? then it's over. No more suffering. We're all going to die.

And.. if you kill someone who's innocent? you'll just say "oops! i made a mistake! oh, well... i'll be more careful next time"

those are my reasons. :)

wheelchairman
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm also against it cause i DO think that all those people can have a worse punishment alive. If they kill a person.. what's next? so? he died, and? then it's over. No more suffering. We're all going to die.

I'm picking on you because you said it last, although several other people have said it numerous times.

What the fuck is the obsession with punishment? If you wanted that we could torture them.

Anya82
02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
ok.. let's torture them. :p

Criminals deserve a punishment. I don't know if you're pro-death penalty, wcm. Some might think that giving death to them is better cause you get rid of people like them. But.. don't you think some of them could change? maybe giving them a second chance... And, no matter how many "bad" people you kill, crime will never stop until you tear it from the roots, which is lack of education and moral (respecting people, justice, blah blah).

taking someone to jail is supposed to be a punishment, but, here.. in Mexico.. it sucks. The worst criminals are treated as kings! fuckers! because they have a lot of money, and Mexico is infested with corruption. So, punishment doesn't work here.

Anya82
02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
i think people should suffer in prison and die slowly rather than just get killed by the government.

yeah.. cause once you kill the criminal.. it's all over.. that guy would never learn a lesson.

wheelchairman
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
ok.. let's torture them. :p

Criminals deserve a punishment. I don't know if you're pro-death penalty, wcm. Some might think that giving death to them is better cause you get rid of people like them. But.. don't you think some of them could change? maybe giving them a second chance... And, no matter how many "bad" people you kill, crime will never stop until you tear it from the roots, which is lack of education and moral (respecting people, justice, blah blah).

taking someone to jail is supposed to be a punishment, but, here.. in Mexico.. it sucks. The worst criminals are treated as kings! fuckers! because they have a lot of money, and Mexico is infested with corruption. So, punishment doesn't work here.
I'm against the death penalty. I'm against punishment. Punishment doesn't work and it gives the connotation that criminals are children.

The majority of criminals in my opinion, walk freely in the world today. But the people I deem to be criminals are not the ones that everyone would deem to be criminals.

So let's talk about the people who are judged as criminals by today's court systems. Most of them are products of their environment and social class. I believe that many, if not most can be rehabilitated, and that should be the point of the prison system no? To rehabilitate people, not to punish them for being bad little boys, that will never work and that won't decrease crime. Punishment does not eliminate repeat offenses, rehabilitation will.

Anya82
02-01-2005, 02:14 PM
you got a point, and i like the idea of rehabilitation.
i agree with what you say about their social enviroment, but people can realize that what they do is not right. And everything you do, has consequences.

wheelchairman
02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
you got a point, and i like the idea of rehabilitation.
i agree with what you say about their social enviroment, but people can realize that what they do is not right. And everything you do, has consequences.
True, but often they feel pressured by the people around them, and the conditions they live in. And the laws feel like they weren't made by them (the people) but some unrelated politicians in the capital. (this is a bad feeling for people to have in a democracy...)

Anya82
02-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I believe that many, if not most can be rehabilitated, and that should be the point of the prison system no? To rehabilitate people, not to punish them for being bad little boys, that will never work and that won't decrease crime. Punishment does not eliminate repeat offenses, rehabilitation will.

yes that's the point.
it's a shame that in my country it doesn't work. In fact, prisons over here are called rehabilitation centers (or something like that), but i live in a society that has been poorly educated, and people are selfish, lazy and don't give a fuck about others. So, nobody helps any prisoners. And, as the prisons get more and more people, the crime rate rises, because of lack of education.

Photographer Valerie Tabor-Smith says:
ďIf, starting today, every child were raised with love, kindness, and compassion, we could transform our world in a single generationĒ

i do believe in that.
it all starts at home, at family. education, love, moral.

Anya82
02-01-2005, 02:21 PM
True, but often they feel pressured by the people around them, and the conditions they live in. And the laws feel like they weren't made by them (the people) but some unrelated politicians in the capital. (this is a bad feeling for people to have in a democracy...)

Democracy is not the problem
People with power are the ones who ruin societies that live in "democracy". Cause they twist laws and manipulate money as they arrogant, selfish, ambicious selves want.

wheelchairman
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Democracy is not the problem
People with power are the ones who ruin societies that live in "democracy". Cause they twist laws and manipulate money as they arrogant, selfish, ambicious selves want.
That was sort of what I was getting at. Democracy doesn't work because it is basically the rich who make the decisions, while the people feel alienated.

Anya82
02-01-2005, 02:26 PM
that's why my country sucks...

I'm outta here!

*walks away, shuts the door, and takes a plane to a better brighter place :D *
hehehe

wheelchairman
02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
that's why my country sucks...

I'm outta here!

*walks away, shuts the door, and takes a plane to a better brighter place :D *
hehehe
That's the problem with most countries. Cuba and Venezuela are doing cool things though. Although Cuba isn't a democracy where political parties run, but organizations (such as unions.)

Anya82
02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
There is no perfect system. A mix of them would be good... but, as we have been saying, until rich people obssesed with power and more money stop being asses... we won't get it. :(

Panzerfaust92
02-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I think if we're gonna kill the convicted, we should use cheap methods. As Chris Rock once said, "I don't like the electric chair, you know why? It's electric, electricity runs through it. Electricity costs money, taxpayers money. My $50 to kill a guy that ain't worth 10 cents. There's a lot of cheep ways to kill people, I mean stabbing don't cost a damn thing."

Skate Rat 19
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
If u want revenge kill the fucker urself it cost good government dollars to kill people. I say if u dont like someone make them go away, if they dont, use force, if they fight back lock and load.