PDA

View Full Version : Locker Room Showers

Thomas
12-21-2009, 01:39 AM
So I was in San Jose this weekend for Santa Clara Vanguard auditions (they are a top-level drum and bugle corps, if you aren't familiar with them) and they took place at a high school. We slept in the gym with sleeping bags and air mattresses and whatnot, but we took showers in their locker room. Is it just me, or does anyone else find it incredibly strange to have dozens of butt-naked dudes running around a locker room taking showers together? I was incredibly uncomfortable, and I was wearing shorts in the shower. It seemed like most everyone else was totally cool with everything and didn't even seem to notice that their junk was hanging around for everyone to see (although I will admit that I do feel a lot better about myself now, after unwittingly seeing what God gave some other guys). I dunno. It just seems like an incredibly weird concept to me, and it makes me even more uncomfortable when it seems like everyone else doesn't find it uncomfortable at all.

Homer
12-21-2009, 01:43 AM
How the fuck do you think the Jews felt?

Huh? HUH?!

xtheoffspringx3
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I agree. Showering together is homo, just like sharing a girl with another dude during sex. Wrestling, is normal to people; dosent mean its not homo. Tight clothing and sweating on each other, doing weird positions; where your nut sack is in the guys face and the only thing between your face and the guys nuts is a thin layer of clothing.

jacknife737
12-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Just sit back and admire the view.

No homo.

How the fuck do you think the Jews felt?

Huh? HUH?!

Oh god, i lol'd.

Llamas
12-21-2009, 07:52 AM
meh, I think it's an american thing to be so uncomfortable with nudity. I don't see what the big deal is. And girls are more comfortable with it than guys... which makes no sense at all. Whatevs.

SåS
12-21-2009, 07:58 AM
And girls are more comfortable with it than guys... which makes no sense at all. Whatevs.

Yeah but nobodys complaning about that.

Little_Miss_1565
12-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I think it's weird to be weirded out by communal showers. I mean, it's bathing. It's like squares and rectangles...you get naked to get busy, but you don't get busy every time you get naked. Have confidence!

Free?
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Unless you've had a boner, it's okay. Even if you did, no big deal.

Al Coholic
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
We slept in the gym with sleeping bags and air mattresses and whatnot, but we took showers in their locker room. Is it just me, or does anyone else find it incredibly strange to have dozens of butt-naked dudes running around a locker room taking showers together? I was incredibly uncomfortable, and I was wearing shorts in the shower. It seemed like most everyone else was totally cool with everything and didn't even seem to notice that their junk was hanging around for everyone to see (although I will admit that I do feel a lot better about myself now, after unwittingly seeing what God gave some other guys). I dunno. It just seems like an incredibly weird concept to me, and it makes me even more uncomfortable when it seems like everyone else doesn't find it uncomfortable at all.
Can I just like, put this whole thing in my signature?

Al Coholic
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I think it's weird to be weirded out by communal showers. I mean, it's bathing. It's like squares and rectangles...you get naked to get busy, but you don't get busy every time you get naked. Have confidence!

Women walk around their houses in underwear, share all kinds of clothes, intimacy, etc. I could see how from your end communal showers wouldn't be nearly as awkward. But wouldn't you feel weird in a room full of naked men? I mean you probably like some people's penises, imagine if you didn't like any of them and were surrounded.

I've never had to take a communal shower, and I'm glad.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I think the awkwardness is build up by never taking communal showers. It's no big deal.

Someone wearing shorts into the shower though would strike me as rather odd.

Paint_It_Black
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think the concept of communal showers is weird at all. But I was a little surprised that Americans are generally comfortable with it.

Little_Miss_1565
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
*I'm* surprised that Americans have any trouble with it.

WCM - agreed, shorts in the locker room shower seems more odd than the soapy, steamy sausage party of the communal shower.

Thomas, I just want to edit my previously posted statement to specify that I do not intend for you to feel like your feelings of being weirded out are not valid. The entirety of the human experience is uncomfortable and weird.

Paint_It_Black
12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
America as a whole still seems to be more than a little uncomfortable with nudity. Remember the Janet Jackson incident? Sure, you could argue that Americans only have a problem with misplaced nudity. But I get this general impression that many Americans (not all, obviously) have a very hard (lol) time separating nudity and sex.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't say its really much to do with sex. It just seems bizarre, my first reaction as a young lad was discomfort, I think it has more to do with cultural taboos than anything else.

Why that is, probably has more to do with a tendency towards prudishness than anything else. Which taken on a long enough course probably has its roots in Puritan ethics and sex, but it's very abstract as a first thought, or what have you.

Jebus
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
In most high school related movies I've seen, everyone after gym class uses the showers and those who don't are made fun of. My high school gym locker room had showers, but nobody ever used them. If anyone were to use one suddenly, everyone else would probably have been weirded out by it.

DMelges
12-21-2009, 03:04 PM
If you are secure with your sexuality, there's no reason to feel uncomfortable in these situations. It's like guys walking together without their shirts, or girls changing clothes one in front of the other. It's not a big deal.

Thomas
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
If you are secure with your sexuality

I just want to say that it always annoys the shit out of me when people say this. Yes, I know I am straight, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to uncomfortable when there's another man's junk exposed inches from my face, not to mention an entire locker room full of 'em.

DMelges
12-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I just want to say that it always annoys the shit out of me when people say this. Yes, I know I am straight, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to uncomfortable when there's another man's junk exposed inches from my face, not to mention an entire locker room full of 'em.

You're not forced too stare at the guys ding dong.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
i think there should be BBS public showers

Rooster
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Oh don't pick up the soap, pick up the soap
it's bad for you...

MIXED GENDERS!!!!

DMelges
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Hell yes. :cool:

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Technically it has nothing to do with your sexuality. I mean if you were secretly gay I would imagine you'd love public showers with other guys.

DMelges
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Technically it has nothing to do with your sexuality. I mean if you were secretly gay I would imagine you'd love public showers with other guys.

What I meant to say about 'sexuality', is that there is no reason for you to feel uncomfortable around others of your sex. Men are men and woman are woman. Same bodies, same physique. Alot of 'paranoid' men dislike being around other naked men because they feel it's a gay thing to do. That's either two things, homophobia or the person feels that he must be manlier than others.
Not liking being naked in front of other people for the sake of being naked is one thing, but disliking it because you think it's GAY is stupid.

wheelchairman
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
In your eyes its not socially acceptable to be uncomfortable around naked guys because you feel uncomfortable being naked around other guys? I think that's a pretty normal feeling.

If I were to dive into my bag of pop-psychology I'd say you're only making that claim because you feel insecure and emasculated when you're naked around other guys, but you don't want to admit it so you over-compensate by acting like its the most normal thing in the world to you. When all you really care about is your tiny pee-pee. :(

It's okay, I got a tiny pee-pee too, I over-compensate by buying ENORMOUS LAPTOPS.

DMelges
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
It's okay, I got a tiny pee-pee too, I over-compensate by buying ENORMOUS LAPTOPS.

hahahahaha

No man, I did say that feeling uncomfortable while naked around others simply because your naked is normal. It is acceptable, of course, but being uncomfortable because you think it's gay to do such things, that's a different story. That's idiotic.

And I also have an enormous laptop, hehe.

Little_Miss_1565
12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Dan M., it appears you are in a hole, and I think it is customary to recommend at this point that you stop digging.

IamSam
12-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Thomas you're not alone. You are not alone. I'm not a big fan of having naked penii around me that are not my own. I <3 the vagina, but just having someone else's penis hanging out near by makes me awkward.

WebDudette
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Right, I'm perfectly comfortable in my sexuality, but I don't even like talking while at a urinal.

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Why that is, probably has more to do with a tendency towards prudishness than anything else. Which taken on a long enough course probably has its roots in Puritan ethics and sex, but it's very abstract as a first thought, or what have you.

That was my general theory and the rationale behind my "separating nudity from sex" comment.

Dan M., it appears you are in a hole, and I think it is customary to recommend at this point that you stop digging.

I think he was just trying to be clear that he is annoyed by homophobia. He's saying it's fine if you're just uncomfortable with communal showers because, well, it just feels weird. But it's not fine if you're uncomfortable with it because you somehow think that communal showers are inherently homosexual.

Although, bath houses. Hmm.

RickyCrack
12-22-2009, 04:13 AM
ever since i've had to show the inside of my butthole to police. naked showering in public does not bother me so much.

p.s. lol@dan. and no dan. i'm not laughing with you. i'm laughing at you.

Llamas
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
ever since i've had to show the inside of my butthole to police. naked showering in public does not bother me so much.

god i am so turned on. Youse guys are such a bunch of homophobes!!

Alison
12-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Reminds me of primary school days...some of the girls didnt care, while everyone else was trying to old the towels in their teeth on one leg trying tp put knickers on:p

DMelges
12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
I think he was just trying to be clear that he is annoyed by homophobia. He's saying it's fine if you're just uncomfortable with communal showers because, well, it just feels weird. But it's not fine if you're uncomfortable with it because you somehow think that communal showers are inherently homosexual.

That's exacty what I meant to say. :D

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Reminds me of primary school days...

In my primary school we all got changed for PE together, boys and girls. Considering some girls develop the good bits early it seems a bit weird now, looking back. But at the time it felt fine. Nothing weird. It also seems weird, now, that we got changed in the classroom with the teacher present. Not sure I like that some creepy old bastard was watching us. And he really was creepy. Just at the time it was not a defined thought in my young head.

When we went swimming once a week we did have separate changing rooms. But the youngest boys changed in the girls changing room where there was more adult supervision. I do remember that even at age 5 I felt a bit weird walking past lots of naked girls.

I find it interesting that during my primary school years none of us boys seemed to have any problem being naked around each other. We even actively looked at each other and made fun of each other, but in an innocent and friendly way. Nothing weird about it. The moment I got to secondary school it changed. We all wore shorts in the shower and mostly changed under a towel. The one weird kid who showered naked (and there was only one and he was really weird) was mercilessly ridiculed and called gay. And later he did turn out to be bi. But anyway, it's interesting to me that there was a sudden change. Perhaps puberty is the reason. Or that at first we were mostly strangers. Either way, it went from a total lack of self-consciousness to being very modest.

jacknife737
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't think i've ever taken a public shower: most times after rugby practice i'd either go straight home and take a shower there, or just like wash my feet and then go home. Either way, i'm not really "down" (as the kids would say) with public nudity.

I guess i'm a bit of a prude.

ad8
12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think i've ever taken a public shower: most times after rugby practice i'd either go straight home and take a shower there, or just like wash my feet and then go home. Either way, i'm not really "down" (as the kids would say) with public nudity.

I guess i'm a bit of a prude.

Me too. I used to shower at home after my soccer practice because I lived about 300 ft away from that place. But today I'm not getting in situations like that anymore, with the exception of changing clothes in a locker room before my swimming class about half a year ago, which was not much of a big deal for me.

Apathy
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
It just depends on what the group as a whole is used to I think.

For example when I was in high school I was on the cross country team. We never showered at school, just went home after practice. The football team, showered after basically everything they did. Then when track season started the football team would make up our sprinters, and the cross country team would do the mile and the two mile. Afterwards in the locker room all of the former football players would start showering and be weirded out that we went home sweaty and gross, meanwhile we were weirded out that they were all getting naked after practice.

But after four years of this it just didn't really matter anymore. If you want to shower, shower. If you don't want to, don't. Whatever you do though, don't wear shower shorts. Just no.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1DetrIn_k

dff_punk
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
In first grade in primary school, when we were changing for PE for the first time ever (all together), I was the only one who pulled down his underpants too. I thought everybody would do it. Bastards.

WebDudette
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Never nude. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7Q715LqPA)

Cock Joke
12-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry 'bout that.